Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 24

Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi midnite, I imagine you are feeling fragile and easily hurt just now, and your defenses will likely be up, don't be too down hearted about to he real estate issue, there is no rush to go buy the first place you see, and even if your flat does end up being petite and bijou, you will make a home and a refuge of it.

Steve, if smoking is your pressure release just now, so be it. You will stop again when you are ready.

Gilmer, you know mood swings a re inevitable both in recovery and in life. And some days we love our family, other days, well if murder wasn't so frowned upon.....!

BF, not only do you get an early finish but you show yourself to be flexible and able to fit in where needed.

Carlos, succinct post!

Catch y'all later, having too much fun to hang around here!!! ( kidding, my belly thinks my throat's been cut so away to eat)
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Actually, I'm usually pretty copacetic about most things, Toots. I've just had a rough couple of days with an uncharacteristic streak of bitterness that blindsided me, even though it had been silently building for the past couple of months. On Thursday I just grabbed a wine bottle and sat down like Ferdinand the bull in the middle of the ring and said, "NO MAS!" Silly way to rebel, but I think I do need to make some changes in my lifestyle. On Thursday I have a meeting that may help in that direction.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can sort it out MB.
My flat is pretty small and has seen better days - but it's comfortable and it's in a great area.

If the worst happens, you can still make the best of it?

D
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is nuts. I think I'd better call my doctor tomorrow. I am usually such a chill person that people kid me about it. I was just out to dinner, though, and I was so tense I couldn't even eat my food (which is highly unusual, to say the least!). I had to dismiss myself early and go to the supermarket and buy ice cream for the party. If I'd been holding a pencil, I think it would have snapped in half! I'm glad my doctor gave me something awhile ago to help me sleep.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, Day 237. Sorry I haven't posted for a bit. I just got back from a meeting. I now have a full time sponsor. He is a great guy, and we a very similar. I'm excited to start the steps, but also scared. You are all so special to me in this thread.

Today I'm thankful for myself. This may seem odd or self centered, but for me it has been a journey. I've never felt comfortable in my own skin. Now I am starting to feel a sense of peace. I am happy being my nerdy self. I'm happy with my life, job, family, and doing the things I enjoy. Loving me helps me be a better dad and husband as well. I couldn't feel this sense of peace without sobriety.

God Bless,
Matthew
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad you got a sponsor, Matthew! Glad life is good.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
p***enger

Here's a little Undies poll, just for fun: How many square feet/square meters do you live in?

Me: My husband and I live in 625 sq ft, which is 58 square meters.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Matt lovin that positivity coming from you! You're sounding great.

Midnight I know you're bummed but a small flat is better then no flat. I heard a client today say she's been living out of her car the past month!!

Courage to answer your question my house is a one story lil shy of 2,000 square feet.

Work went great. Kicked some a$$ running around like crazy. No way I could've done that hungover. Couple other people called out so it was just me and one other person all day but time flew by. Feelin tired now tho.

Have a little head ache. I've had some little ones for about a week now I just realized and I remember going thru a period of head aches in the past in early sobriety. Hmm
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have 750 sq ft.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies.

Thank you so much for your support!

I feel somewhat better today, though still anxious.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hope you can sort it out MB.

If the worst happens, you can still make the best of it?

D
Thank you, Dee. I will surely do.

Courage - The place I would be able to afford will be somewhat 370 square meters total (35 m2) - just one room and a small kitchen. But I grew up in a place like this (44 m2), so it is not something new, I just hoped that I will never back to the place of the kind).

Though the bright part that it will be the first real estate that would be completely mine, and I would be able to use it as a start for future development.

My best wishes to all the Undies.

See you)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gilmer, sounds like a trip to the doc will benefit you. I hope he is able to help.

I have no idea as to the square footage of our house, in the uk we don't tend to advertise property by footage. I can say it is far too big for 2 people, but we bought it for the views and we love it. I know we are fortunate to be able to afford it, we have both worked very heard in our lives, but so do a lot of others, who never get the breaks we have. I count my blessings daily.

I'm off into Oxford shortly for some browsing, I have hubby's credit card and I'm not afraid to use it!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Sorry, but I really haven't taken time to post recently. Life on life's terms has me a bit wrapped up these days.

Last night I'm at an AA mtg and the topic is "stinkin thinkin". People begin to share how they did stupid crazy stuff when practicing their addiction. Some with significant sober time are sharing how they still are reminded of their sneaky past.

I began to think about all the insane sh*t I did and I'm just getting more and more disgusted with myself as this meeting progresses. I'm also wishing I could just be NORMAL...not have these stupid a** thoughts creeping in my head. Actually feeling overwhelmed with all the hard work that maintaining sobriety requires for me at present.

The moderator looses track of time and a few of us were unable to share, including me. All of which leaves me full of resentment and frustration. In short, not a good place to be mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

However the last man to share was saying how wonderful his life is today, and what a SMALL price he has to pay for the many recovery blessings that have been bestowed.

Wow, what a "nice" punch in the face back to reality. Some days are going to be better or worse than others. My REAL/TRUE character and foundation in sober living is going to be built on how I handle the difficult times. Not how I cruse through the easy and fun times.

Here's to GROWTH IN SOBRIETY and how the rewards will far outweigh the effort required to achieve them.

Carlos xx
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am better today--a good night's sleep works wonders for me. But I will still call the doctor today and make changes to my lifestyle. Unfortunately, I seem to be "booked" till New Years, so I just need to hang in there till then.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found myself perennially booked too Gilmer - the end result was I never had time to make those changes.

Sit down for a minute and think about things. Look at your priorities.

I know this is a busy time of year but if you can't make time for your recovery, you risk being swamped.

It'll be March before you know it. I'd rather be 4 months sober by then than having to struggle daily for 4 months - y'know?

D
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah. I am currently a co-community group leader in my church with my husband. We have to hold basic meetings every two weeks, which involves greeting people (I don't mind one on one, but I hate the 45 minutes of meeting and mingling). There have been big parties with 50 people, one of which happened last weekend. There is Thanksgiving, which will be 26 people staying in the house for 4 days, which drives me mad every year, but is unfortunately a non-negotiable. All I can do is stay upstairs--even my kids are going to help cook and clean so I don't have to feel any stress (but i still do). Then it's the Christmas party, then a banquet (which we might miss this year) where they will serve wine, then a New Year's party.

On Thursday we are going to talk with my pastor--he wants to touch base with me about my drinking. I will share my concerns about my fitness in being a community group leader's wife. My husband is great at it--he's an extrovert. I, on the other hand, could live on a desert island and be happy.

I would hate to give up school--it's really good for keeping my mind focused and in a healthy place. It's like flying a kite. The kite is no good if it is untethered and flies away or lands in the mud.

Thans for your good advice, Dee. Have a good night's sleep!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Greetings Undies, I have been absent for a bit and just spent a bit getting caught up. Nothing serious, just busy with fall/winter projects and a big article I had to write for a classical music magazine I do some work for. Took more time than I thought and have to review/edit it today. Still sober with no plans to drink like a fish at Thanksgiving. Have to get moving... just wanted to let you all know I am still among you!

Have a great week Undies!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all -- realized this a.m. that my silly little question about living space might offend some -- I really wasn't trying to pry into people's affairs, just wanted to get a glimpse of the varied ways of living among the Undies. Being a statistical-type, I thought of a quantifiable way. Please ignore.

The best thing tho is I found an area converter online that will convert square feet or meters into square light years. It turns out that whether you have 1 room or 100, you have basically 0 area in square light years!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ha ha Courage, I, on the contrary, loved the little experiment. I left a huge place for half the space I now have and it's amazing how easy we can adapt to smaller spaces.

I just wanted to say, access to property is hugely difficult and MB, if you can afford to buy, even a tiny house, then it's more than a lot of people. I've been renting all my life, partly because I travelled for work constantly and live in other countries and partly from bad choices and not enough money for a cashdown. I do realise it's tied in with other stuff so I wish you all the best with it all MB.

I've finished the adaptation of LBJ I was talking about. I'm a bit pissed with the fact that the Writer's guild would pay 3 times what I'm payed but at this point, I would take anything and it's better than working as a sale's clerk in a store for the holidays. Still, I'll be happy when I'm back working and paid at the union rate.

The thing is there's 5 more of these and frankly, it's really difficult and long to do. I wonder, could I higher my price a little bit ? Already though, I asked about being paid 2 weeks and the producer just said: let me know if I need ot find someone else ;( ruthless world the TV business so I guess I'll just go with the flow.

AV hasn't been present these days except for a dinner with B where the whole family proceeded to get drunk to forget. I've been bathing in sadness and although I think I'm strong enough, it had begun to affect me so I guess that I should start getting back out there again rather than staying close to B. She hasn't had a drink since last Thursday but hasn't decided to stop.

Stevie, don't beat yourself for the cigarettes.

Carlos, I really like it when you bring here some experiences you had and lessons learned at AA.

Courage, statistics? wow. How is the non-sponsor thingy going?

Have a great day undies. I'M glad to be back. Where are all the others from the part 23 thread?

xox
DP
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies.

Feel low again - even boxing didn't help. Feel like I've lost ground, and have no faith left.

Sorry to be such a downer... It's just the only place where I can vent...Sometimes I think that my life is getting together, but the next day it is falling apart again.. I just want to fall asleep and never been awake again.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

MB.....always feel like you can vent....
While it may not seem like it at this moment....you are taking many positive steps....
Have faith.....it wil lget better..
and keep posting.