Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay strong BF. Cravings are just feelings. You can get past them

D
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

BF, loud music, a long walk with your sweet boxer, or bash the gym. Stick close to those who care most about your sobriety. Xx

Courage wise words for Steve and Gilmer. I too am happy to meet my eyes in the mirror once more. Thank you for reminding me. If only I could remember the date I stopped liking my drinking, I would note that alongside the date I stopped drinking. To remind myself that it stopped being fun long before I managed to quit.

Steve, I know you won't drink man, your sobriety is just to damn important to you, but I hope that AVs last hurrah is muted. Your kids are probably too young to realise the significance of your upcoming anniversary, but if they did, they would wholeheartedly celebrate it with you and thank you for it.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Courage:
Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Not very much has changed -- nothing except the utter despair, the shakes and dry heaves every morning, the lies, the self-loathing, the other lies, and the fear of being caught -- only those things are gone now
Ditto, and thanks for the vivid reminder.

DP: congrats on 11/12ths of year one of many. Your growing sober conviction inspires me.

((MB)) - I heard somebody say at a mtg recently say that they were without gratitude...except for the most important aspect in their life...sobriety.
ONE OF MY FAV AA VERSER - honest, not religious
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Thursday, Jan. 6,
AA Thought for the Day

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.
Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?
SEGUE, not planned:
Stevie/BF: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Was at mtg last night were a guy was saying just that. Said he wanted to drink for no particular reason and he couldn't understand that...a voice from the back says, "You want to drink because you are an alcoholic". He went on, "We're all here to suppress that compulsion". Everyone then told him they would stay after, heck, all night with him...even duck tape him to a beam if he wanted. That was his second meeting yesterday. Between he walked passed his fav bar. Bottom line, we are here to help you to NOT DRINK. Someone else said, "easy to find a reason to drink, hard to find a justification". Do what you need to do, play that tape all the way through to the end, read what Courage wrote...JUST DON'T DRINK, okay?

Toots, please come visit and caddie for me on my birthday, 1/27. You can then come with me as I get my first tat.

Gilmer, stop reading this and get to work on that paper! Kidding, kinda...you asked for it though.

SJ, you doing okay?

Hi Dee. Drake, HF.

Tanja, what up girl? All okay? How goes the meetings? Your pets?...etc, we miss you.

Calling melivin, pippo MB2, HD...etc (you know who you are)

OOPS, full disclosure...made a mistake yesterday. Today isn't 6 months, tomorrow is...thanks for those premature congrats. I'm okay, I won't drink over "our" mistake.

Such a busy day lay ahead. Final prep for my Aunts funeral tomorrow for the most part. Spent about 12 hours going through her things with one of her sisters yesterday. Still a lot of my Dad's things here also. Very sad, in in some ways an invasion of privacy. I have given my oldest daughter, the attorney and executor for me very specific instructions on what papers are important, and that I want my electronic devices to be destroyed. She will have all she needs without them. Any thoughts on that, Undies?

Hey, gotta dash...Carlos xx
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Carlos, I kept a journal when I was beginning my training as a counsellor, at the time I was also having great difficulty adjusting to having a hostile step daughter and a lot of person issues to deal with. I still have that journal, as I remind myself through it of how far it have come, but I would hate either hubby or daughter to read it, even though a lot of what I wrote I have spoken to daughter about, as I have also apologised to her for not being there for her in the early days. She understands but she doesn't need to read it. I also have a close platonic relationship via email with a guy also in recovery. I have never talked about this relationship to hubby, and I'd hate for him to learn about it through my emails. He would see at a glance that there's nothing going on, but I have discussed intimate details of our life together which he may see as a betrayal, or just be hurt that I felt I could talk more easily to another man than I can to him about my addiction. So I think you are right to have a contingency plan.
A friend on another thread also has a plan for a friend to post on SR if anything ever happened to her, so we don't think she just disappeared one day!
I guess bottom line we all have our secrets, and some of those ought to go to the grave with us.

I hope all the arrangements and the funeral go off smoothly sweetie.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Dorothy - Belated Congratulations on 11 months of sobrietyYou have been through some trying times in your very near first year of sobriety. Kudos to you for staying strong. You serve as an inspiration to us all!

((Toots)) - I hope you got better rest today. It doesn't seem to have dampened your optimism and your always staunch support for all the Undies.

((BF)) - I hope you are doing well. Please post when you get the opportunity.

Carlos - My friend things are going well. I have felt good for the past week and this is the first time in 16 months of sobriety than I can say that The animals as always are keeping me busy. I am taking simba into the vet every other day for treatment and force feeding him baby food throughout the day. I plan on taking him in for bloodwork in about two weeks and hope to hear positive results and that he has put on some weight. I got great news from my prison pen pal/sponsee that she will be released from prison by December 17. She has been such a blessing in my life. In many ways, I feel like she is my sponsor! My friend Steve who suffers from pancreatic cancer is celebrating 26 years of sobriety on Friday. Last year at this time he was in hospice. He somehow recovered and again in May they told him he had two months to live. The doctors say that he could go at any time. He runs a treatment facility. He has spent his whole life helping others. I was going to buy him some flowers, card and bake him a cake decorated like a 26 year chip. I really want to go all out for him. I wish I had more ideas on what would make this celebration special for him. He has mentioned several times this week that he will be celebrating on Friday and this is so important to him. It may be his last. I loved your AA thought for the day. For this alcoholic to drink means to die. I hope and pray that I never lost sight of that fact.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Monday.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Tanya, what a sweet thought your gift is. I always believe the greatest gift is to give an experience, so your gifts give just that. If you want to add something else, think of tickets to a concert, or to a short touristy cruise at home, a SPA treatment for men, a certificate to a new restaurant. Those gifts providing an experience are often really fun to get.

But honestly, your time and friendship are just that. A great gift.

Good luck with Simba and don't forget to care for yourself too.

xo
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Carlos- I have about 20 journals from over the years. Recently, I've started the task of shredding them. Partly because I once had an incident with a 'friend' reading one of them and then sharing some stuff from it with others, and partly because when I die, I don't want anybody else to read them. I have no idea why I ever thought it was a good idea to write about some things, but it can be cathartic to just get it out.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Carlos and Dorothy...(belated) Congrats!

Jim
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

hi guys--Had a slip over Thanksgiving--and trying to get things back
together but, I'm not going to give up and I'm going to be the winner yet.
Babs
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

SJ, lovely to see a post from you, how are you doing honey? X

Tanja, you are a wonderful friend and supporter of others, you should be really proud of yourself and all you have achieved. I'm sure Steve will love his cake!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Toots...doing well...One day at a time....still feel silly about my slip up....Realize that there is absolutely no place for it in my life..
That and SR is a big part of why I know I cannot drink!
PS..Love Molly
Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Jim

D
Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Day 362 here for me....On a 15 hour night shift....Really tired and worn out....For some reason I'm not looking forward to my one year sober anniversary , don't know why , I think its got something to do with the fact that it's like mission accomplished and I don't want to get in that mindset...

Just rambling stupidness lol....Take care....Steve.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, day 252.

As I continue my journey of a new life, I need to be grateful for what I have today. It is easy to get lost when I look too far ahead. We are all courageous people as we strive toward continued sobriety. You are all dear friends, and you keep me hopeful.

God Bless,
Matthew
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
p***enger

I know what you mean, Steve. I find myself thinking "when I get to one year, I'll be done with this sobriety nonsense." What blather. There's no going back. You're a year better than you were this time last year, and the only way up is forward!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
p***enger

Wow -- gotta hand it to the old AV -- I'm home alone for all of about 45 minutes this evening, and do I ever want to pop out for a quick bottle, a couple of nips & then hide it till tomorrow. Just had to say so. Won't do it. Just have to stay sober till midnight & it's one more day.

Scary to feel like this tho because I'm going to have some number of all-alone days & nights later this month & in January. The worst for me.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's perfectly natural to feel those feelings - many people seem to be finding it hard at this time of year....

as long as you know the correct response you'll be fine Courage

D
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, back from my trip to my home town. Saw a couple friends and ate way too much, but the scales were not too overloaded when I came home. No desire to drink, not even when I went to dinner with a friend and he had several cocktails. End of this week will be 8 months and I am determined to get to a year in April.

Catching up with all of you and wish all a good night/day/evening/morning... whatever it is for you!
Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Just checkin in.
Watched tv, slept a lot, and listened to music. Refusing to give in to these stupid cravings! At least work tomorrow will be a distraction.

Will catch up in posts tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cravings> <BF