Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 16

Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Fish, I drank everywhere in my apartment except the bathroom. There in little to remind me of my bad habits though, just a Heineken calendar on a wall in my kitchen. So the apartment is a minor trigger, I do sometimes feel it would be nice to drink some whisky and relax but that might open the hell gates again for me.
I got off work early in the afternoon today and passed folks carrying bags of drink and I actually felt a sense of relief.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Fish, certain times, my family room chair(my throne, lol) while watching TV, like on Thursday nights. Husband and I usually drank and watched the favorite shows together that night. Or if we get a movie. But it is less about the room, and more about the association of the activity. Same with cooking, especially on a Saturday evening or a holiday meal. So, not the kitchen, as much as what I do in the kitchen.

And, I do not have a mancave, lol.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Carlos, sending prayers of strength and courage for you and for your aunt.

Enjoy your golfing too, relaxation/recreation should help you deal with this tough time.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I never had a special place in my house to drink, except now that I think of it, maybe the deck outside might be a trigger. I really liked sitting outside and drinking this past summer.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Okay I have a question for everybody does anyone have a room or specific place in your house that is a trigger. Like a bar, pool room or man cave . I have decided that my man cave needs to be re decorated it has neon beer signs. hamms beer bear hanging from the wall my man cave actually looks like a tavern I have been staying out of there.
Fish, we can each send you an 8x10 framed portrait of ourselves with stern, disapproving looks on our faces for your new man cave! Would that help?

Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Okay I have a question for everybody does anyone have a room or specific place in your house that is a trigger. Like a bar, pool room or man cave . I have decided that my man cave needs to be re decorated it has neon beer signs. hamms beer bear hanging from the wall my man cave actually looks like a tavern I have been staying out of there.
Sitting in my living room watching TV/Movie is a huge trigger for me. I have brand new couches now, so it has a little bit different look/feel now which helps. Last night especially, I felt so bored/awkward watching TV though. I think it will take awhile to change such an ingrained practice that I had of drinking and zoning in front of the TV. Not good for me, so I am so glad to be changing. I wish change was easier, but that doesn't mean I don't want to do it.

Fish, I would give your mancave a facelift! You are so much more than a guy hanging in a tavern. You love boating, fishing, football, biking, dogs, family, wife....and I am betting so many other hobbies. Redecorate! New paint, new pictures....family photos really give me a sense of warmth. Signed footballs, occupational awards....the Room of Mr. Fish would probably be filled with interesting things that are as interesting as you are.

If you aren't in to decorating, find someone who is maybe? Wife, friend, paid decorator?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Fish, we can each send you an 8x10 framed portrait of ourselves with stern, disapproving looks on our faces for your new man cave! Would that help?

LOL!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That would really kick up his nightmares!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I blew off my trip to the mall. I hate malls. I decided it will go quicker if I go early tomorrow, a non-workday to avoid traffic. I have a bit of a drive from where I live and it is such a time suck with the parking and everything.

Think I am depressed. I just don't feel like doing anything.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I blew off my trip to the mall. I hate malls. I decided it will go quicker if I go early tomorrow, a non-workday to avoid traffic. I have a bit of a drive from where I live and it is such a time suck with the parking and everything.

I know how it feels. I also try to pick quiet times if possible when going to malls or shopping streets. Hate the sales.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Much like my favorite drink was my next drink, my favorite place to drink in my house was wherever the bottles were, or my current glass would temporarily be residing.
So crazy how that thought makes me physically ill today. A really healthy form of physically illness, though. Go figure.
Thanks for the reminder. Always need those. Add a dose of visualization and my current gratitude of sobriety soars.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post

This was me for years I made excuses why not yo go shopping on busy times depression is horrible
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I can remember all those (blissful) years I had with NO cravings anymore, but I'm not quite back to that point yet.

However, it's progressed to automatically remembering the ugly side of drinking every time I do think of it now. Some cravings were creeping back this week, but without even trying, I immediately recalled the last time I drank and how out of control and nasty it got very quickly.

So while I might still think of that good feeling a few drinks give me, I've found that it's only fleeting and not worth the misery I'll have to pay and it's never a few drinks anyway. It's until I run out or I pass out.

If I had not awoken that beast in the first place I would not have to be dealing with it today.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Lorelei

Hey all

Can I suggest you all jump onto Lorelei's post and give her support/hugs

Thread is below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-tonight.html
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Just got in from my second aa meeting of the day, felt like a drink all day but in the second meeting there was a reminder of what a horrible illness this is- a guy there turned up drunk and collapsed in the hallway, banged his head and was taken away in an ambulance, it was awful to witness and a veryclear sign that sobriety is the only answer for alcoholics.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Just got in from my second aa meeting of the day, felt like a drink all day but in the second meeting there was a reminder of what a horrible illness this is- a guy there turned up drunk and collapsed in the hallway, banged his head and was taken away in an ambulance, it was awful to witness and a veryclear sign that sobriety is the only answer for alcoholics.
A very timely reminder indeed ! Stay strong 1Step !
Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by lommey View Post
intelligence....... not a word I would use for me I do something dumb everyday.
but now I dont blame drink.
That's not what I "see" lommey. I sense someone very deep and complex - and I'm not just saying that.

I drove off with my coffee cup on my car roof this morning. Turned a corner and it smashed all over the road. Doh! I do dumb things too. It doesn't make me dumb. Again, it's the common sense thing I lack sometimes. This morning it meant NO COFFEE!

My sister said recently that neither of us learned common sense from our parents....that neither one of them thought to teach us that. Maybe common sense isn't so common?

1step....how sad that poor man who collapsed. I tend to think spiritually, and so I think you were meant to witness that for a reason.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Okay I do not make mistakes I thought I did last week but I was wrong.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Felt like drinking starting at 2:30 today. I went out to the grocery store after work and I admit there were a few minutes about thinking whether or not I should pick up some beer. More than a few minutes. I didn't do it though. It appears that Friday nights are going to continue to plague me. I drank every single night of the week so I have no clue why this is the case but it just is.

Car guy called me today. They found me a car and it's getting here next week. I sort of wish he didn't so I could back out and find a cheaper car, but oh well. My drive to/from work will be incredibly fast!! It only takes about 5 minutes now so maybe 3 minutes? Kidding. I don't really speed much.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

By the way, I love you guys. I would have failed 3 months ago without you.