Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 16

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I feel like a bachelor a lot of the time she travels she's gone up to 3 weeks at a time I also travel but I'm home a lot I'll fly out one day fly back the next so much of the time it does feel like I'm living alone. That's when my drinking started getting really bad
Old 11-14-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

welcome back lorelei hope your feeling better
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wow, seems like this all or nothing thing I brought up rings true for a lot of us here!

So, so good to see you back here posting Lorelei!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post

Did we know that Fish is married? I pictured him a bachelor! Now I need to compose a new mental picture of the Fishy One. Must include attractive country lady, a little Dolly Parton-ish, methinks!
I do recall that Fishy's neighbour is married....
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I have noticed that if I like something, I seem to lack that ability to moderate. Coffee....I drink more than just about anyone, ever....all day long. Once I started smoking pot....same thing.....all the time for years. Dieting....yep....I have will power for anything. Working....workaholic for years until recently. Parenting....24/7 and probably overkill.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess was my mom's saying. I just always tell people "my gate is broken"...you know, the gate that goes down in the parking lots. Mine is dysfunctional because I don't have that natural common sense to stop before it gets out of hand.

Since we are talking about patterns, I'm sensing all of us have a high level of intelligence. I feel that everytime I read posts here. And with me personally, it's coupled with some painful childhood experiences. My insecurity is high, so the driver of my thoughts isn't strong enough to use more common sense.

And I can't shut down my mind. It thinks all the time and goes places that makes me feel sorry for schizophrenics. Alcohol calmed that down, and now that it isn't there, I am working triple time to control the mind to just settle the heck down.

This is what's leading me to get into therapy. The veil of alcohol has come off and it's bringing up stuff that I have deadened for a long time. But I'm afraid. Since we are being honest here....yep. I'm afraid to go to counseling. I tried a few years ago and was a mess.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

1STEP: Well done on 4 weeks !! Congrats and keep rocking !!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
I have noticed that if I like something, I seem to lack that ability to moderate. Coffee....I drink more than just about anyone, ever....all day long. Once I started smoking pot....same thing.....all the time for years. Dieting....yep....I have will power for anything. Working....workaholic for years until recently. Parenting....24/7 and probably overkill.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess was my mom's saying. I just always tell people "my gate is broken"...you know, the gate that goes down in the parking lots. Mine is dysfunctional because I don't have that natural common sense to stop before it gets out of hand.

Since we are talking about patterns, I'm sensing all of us have a high level of intelligence. I feel that everytime I read posts here. And with me personally, it's coupled with some painful childhood experiences. My insecurity is high, so the driver of my thoughts isn't strong enough to use more common sense.

And I can't shut down my mind. It thinks all the time and goes places that makes me feel sorry for schizophrenics. Alcohol calmed that down, and now that it isn't there, I am working triple time to control the mind to just settle the heck down.

This is what's leading me to get into therapy. The veil of alcohol has come off and it's bringing up stuff that I have deadened for a long time. But I'm afraid. Since we are being honest here....yep. I'm afraid to go to counseling. I tried a few years ago and was a mess.
Lillian

What you wrote mirrors me a lot except the pot bit (I used to smoke during university but now the smell of it makes me sick).

Nothing succeeds like excess used to be the rule for me during my younger days. I thought it only applied to work and being materialistic but it also extended to my drinking, sadly enough.

It took me a while to realise that not everyone's childhood included visits to psychiatrists, psychologists and experiencing trauma. In recent years, my old therapist helped me unearth some painful childhood memories that I had buried for most of my life. It helped explain a lot about my character.

You should try meditation (if you havent already). I find it is brilliant for gaining serenity and a sense of calm.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Rochele, I'm sorry to hear your daughter has those issues. She sounds just like I was at that age. I only wish we'd had drugs like sertraline at that time. I commend you for getting her the help she needs. Not every kid needs these meds, but for the ones who do, they are a godsend.

Fish, I had you in the bachelor camp, too. Well, the divorced camp, actually. Glad that was wrong, and may you and Mrs Fish have many more happy years together. You know, compared to some former drinkers, like me, five years isn't all that long. Good for you in confronting the problem before it causes any more problems or takes up any more precious time.

Workoholic, tak sa mycket for the info.

Lillian, I get the same sense you mentioned about the intelligence of folks here. But may I stay, anyway? Seriously, though, the traits of OC and noisy brains show up in so many of us. Maybe those and intelligence are linked somehow. I truly wish you a better experience with therapy this time. I think it's normal to be a bit afraid of starting the process. Don't be afraid to change therapists if you don't click with the first one.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Thought you all might like this ~ for anyone who denies the obvious problem....

It's Not About The Nail - YouTube
Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Thought you all might like this ~ for anyone who denies the obvious problem....

It's Not About The Nail - YouTube
Ha ha
Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So, about to go tuck in my son, and it is Gray's Anatomy night, and Scandal night.

Tomorrow, I may be off early to do a gazillion shopping returns. I had ordered some stuff and was sent the same worng sizes when I ordered new(smaller) sizes, so have double the wrong sizes to return, plus a bunch of stuff I re-ordered trying to find something for my dd for a function. I think I have close to $500 or more in returns to do! I need to get that done. Never enough time before kids get home, and between my volunteer gigs or appts of late.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi! Just saying hi.

Drowning in work.

It's keeping me honest.

Thinking of you guys

Love, Plenny
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey Plenny! Good to hear from you. Thanks for letting us know you are ok!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back NewLeaf and Lorelei

D
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hey Lillian I know what you mean about the veil and the gate. I'm glad you're going to therapy to address it. Hugs
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Just stopping in with love for the class. A good day here.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I do believe it's starting to get a little bit easier everyday. I tried half hearted attempts to quit in the past and what I didn't realize is being sober is a lot of fun but it's also a lot of work.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Keep going Fishy !! We're right with you mate !

Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nuway, my sentiments entirely. Lillian was spot on about the intelligence levels of people here and yes, despite that, please can I stay too! I have found more wisdom, compassion and empathy here on SR amongst you lovely lot that I ever imagined possible. To say an Internet forum has changed my life sounds beyond melodramatic, but, quite frankly, it has.