Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 16

Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Count me in as another person who goes off the deep end when she gets an interest in something. Like this recent Coleman lantern thing. I went from having no lantern to having nine lanterns in three weeks. ebay and craigslist are my enablers. I don't usually stay at the full-on crazy state for too long, but while I'm in it it's pretty much all-consuming. The upside of this is that I've acquired a lot of knowledge on a very few subjects. And I always have something to pick up whenever I feel like I'm getting bored.

The OC personality was one big reason I drank. Like 1step said, it was a way to turn it off for a while and to get away from my own conscious brain. It's always been a bit scary in there!

UI, I had a Subaru--loved that car so much. Would still be driving it (1999 model) if it hadn't blown a head gasket. Don't worry--that was peculiar to Foresters for only a couple of years. Hope you find the one you want.

Workoholic, I've often wondered: are you Swedish? My mom's family are Swedes, and I'm very proud of that heritage. Your English is so good you could pass for a native speaker if you're not one.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I have some obsessive compulsive things too. Maybe kind of minor but it can be hard for me to turn off. I can do hours in my head reviewing how something went and even on here I might reread my post for 5 minutes. Alcohol helped me turn some of that off.

I think the best thing about my sobriety this time around is I'm not compensating with something else that is unsustainable. Last time I jogged in all my free hours. Or I went to a restaurant every night. This time it's just me, the dogs, and a bowl of ice cream.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Popped on quickly to say hello before heading to work and skimmed over the last page of posts. Need to come back on later tonight or tomorrow to read more thoroughly ... but so much of the control and "all or nothing" living is familiar to me, too.

Hoping to post more this weekend when this whirlwind week stops!

Have a WONDERFUL day, all!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Popping in to say hello I really hope everyone's ok xx
Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Newleaf, offering you a belated "welcome back"!

Lorelei, offering you a timely "welcome back"! How are you feeling, dear? Hoping your surgery went well.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
WB Lorelei. I was just asking about you last night. How are you?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Originally Posted by Nuway2fly View Post
Maybe he's tapping you on the shoulder to tell you you're on the right path now.
That's what I was thinking, too.

LOL, all-or-nothing thinking, obsessiveness and control issues?

I can that see I fit right in here.

Nice to see you NewLeaf and lorelei!!

Last edited by Bird615; 11-14-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added text
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Hope you are doing well too xx
Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

All or Nothing and control issues here also then also I cannot sit still I have to always be up doing something it's never good enough it has to be perfect or I worry myself to death about it . Wife tells me to sit down and relax but I can't do it. She told me yesterday that maybe I could drink during the holidays one of my dark beers on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve she said I would just have to moderate and I told her I can't moderate and she said you know what you're right you cant moderate it's all or nothing.. I might even be hinging on psychopathic.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Lorelei! How are you?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Fish, you sound like me and a lot of others here. I'm a crazy perfectionist, too. What's up with that? I think it's the way our brains are wired when we're born. Funny how spouses don't really get it about drinking, at least until it's pointed out to them. Again. Nah, you ain't psycho, just a little OC maybe. I don't know if you were kidding about the Prozac, but I take sertraline and it helps a lot. I remember what it was like when I was younger, and I'd hate to think how OC I'd be without it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Actually, Nuway, my daughter takes sertraline too. She had a depressive episode last spring, and when she was evaluated for the need for meds(she was feeling suicidal, my poor baby), the OCD componet to her eval led the nurse to give her sertraline. It helps with depression and anxieties/compulsive tendencies. My daughter's issues involved obsessive thinking. Running things over in her head and riving herself crazy, like if she said something stupid in class. Stuff others don't rethink over and over.

It was interresting to see how many of those sorts of traits I have. These things are herditary, i think. My dad was that way, my mother too. I get a double whammy!

I feel bad it has passed onto my children, but I see that my son gets very anxious about changes and travelling.

The upside it that I can see it and they are under care, and that reduces the chances of substance abuse. Going unmedicated, if one is needed, can lead to self-medication. I am sure my mother and I self medicated with alcohol. My mother was an alcoholic. She was also anxious, and had many fears.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Fish, you sound like me and a lot of others here. I'm a crazy perfectionist, too. What's up with that? I think it's the way our brains are wired when we're born. Funny how spouses don't really get it about drinking, at least until it's pointed out to them. Again. Nah, you ain't psycho, just a little OC maybe. I don't know if you were kidding about the Prozac, but I take sertraline and it helps a lot. I remember what it was like when I was younger, and I'd hate to think how OC I'd be without it.
I wasn't even joking about the stool softener.. :-)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Lorelei, I hope you are well

Guys I agree to some extent, although no perfectionist I do have a fair bit of OC-behaviour.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lorelei, and congratulations on one month sober. I can almost feel the collective sigh of relief here on SR knowing that we have you back
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Workoholic, I've often wondered: are you Swedish? My mom's family are Swedes, and I'm very proud of that heritage. Your English is so good you could pass for a native speaker if you're not one.

Yeah I'm Swedish. I lived in the States for one year in my teens.
Also did my university studies in english and most of my high school in english so it's a almost a bonus language
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clemence View Post
Welcome back Lorelei, and congratulations on one month sober. I can almost feel the collective sigh of relief here on SR knowing that we have you back
Well said.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Lorelei!

Did we know that Fish is married? I pictured him a bachelor! Now I need to compose a new mental picture of the Fishy One. Must include attractive country lady, a little Dolly Parton-ish, methinks!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Haha, I thought the same thing Grace!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Welcome back, Lorelei!

Did we know that Fish is married? I pictured him a bachelor! Now I need to compose a new mental picture of the Fishy One. Must include attractive country lady, a little Dolly Parton-ish, methinks!
Been married 33 years next month I have known her since I was 10 years old. We are originally from the Ozark Mountains in Missouri so she is country . I don't know how she's put up with all my crud over the years. The alcohol problem is less than 5 years old and she is starting to get tired of it.