Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 20

Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

ugh shoes, i'm so sorry to hear that! I can't think of anything to say that isn't cliché...
I do know that she lived a great life if she lived with you.

big giant cyber hug! we
Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

It's ok We. I've had and been around critters all my life. This is just part of the deal. I'm okay with it as long as they have the nice long life and the end isn't suffering. None of us could ask for more really. Just was not expecting that one.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

so sorry for your loss Shoes.

D
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Shoes, I'm sorry about you cat!

I had to work today, cover for my usual Saturday Guy. I am admittedly not a child person, so I wasn't thrilled to have two kids parties here today.

1st party about 20 kids between 9-12 years old. 2nd party about 30 kids 11-14 years old. Both here for 2.5 hours.

Apparently the kids know more about everything than I do as they would not listen to me when I told them about things they cant do here.

Apparently the kids do know more than their parents as the parents just stared at me blankly when I asked them to please supervise their children as I am the only person working here.

One parent actually said back to me. "Well they're just kids" after throwing the ball sideways down the approaches and almost hitting another kid. If the ball would have hit and broke the foot of the other kid could I have said "Well, they're just kids"?

In days of yore, today would have sent me out looking to damage a bottle of tequila, and then having it get its revenge tomorrow. Instead I'm going to order a pizza, pick up some soda and ice cream, then search Netflix for a movie where a serial killer is targeting bratty kids and cheer him on!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Which one Dee? The man friend or the cat?

I'm sorry. Thank you I'm still just sitting going really?? Was this week real??? I put the 4 remaining ones on notice that mama needs a break here.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

No Budd. Your day was worse. I'll take helping my sweet kitty cross the rainbow bridge any day over a room full of kids and clueless parents.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ok, pizza is a memory, shower is done, critters bowls are full. Max is guarding the door to keep Jezebel outside. Not doing anything else shorts are on. Freddy Krueger,make my day!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Shoes I am sorry about your kitty. As a fellow critter person I understand the "deal" with our pets too, sounds like it's going to be pretty crowded for you too when you get to the rainbow bridge. Every morning I am relieved to find our 16 year old cat is OK, I sometimes feel a bit that way when I see Mum in the mornings.

It's a lovely rain day here, I'm baking up a storm -- I love days in.

Stay strong and sober peeps.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Shoes, so sorry about your kitty. Even though we know their lives are usually shorter than ours, that doesn't make it any easier. I know my kitty trusts me unconditionally and that is very humbling indeed. I hope you get a good break very soon!

DD, happy to hear your AA meeting came to you. I know the pain is a bitch but just remember that it truly will pass. I think you've gotten great advice here and I have nothing to add except many good wishes for your speedy recovery!

Bud, happy to hear your shorts are on . Good for you for surviving the bratty kid avalanche!

Joy, congrats on 8 months! Woo Hoo! Sorry I missed you earlier.

I had a lovely 3 hour breakfast with one friend and then spent the afternoon going to a sock factory sale with another friend. I never knew there were so many different kinds of socks! People were lined up quite a ways outside and some of those coming out had huge bags full of socks!

I had a difficult time yesterday breaking it off with a friend. It has always been a one-way street with her and after 15 years I felt totally drained. Too long and sad a story to tell but I finally got up the courage to ditch the poor woman. It sounds and feels cruel but sacrificing myself wasn't doing either of us any good. Very sad and hard.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Marcher

Aww, sorry Sassy about your break-up. You know you have to take care of yourself first, as you said.

Hahahaha! Ken, my entire career is based on a roomful of bratty kids and their clueless parents. Believe me, or not, I can bring a hush to them all in 5 seconds without saying a word. Trade secret.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sorry about your breakup Sassy. That's hard. But I'm proud of you for doing what you know you need to do. I'm sure you were kind when doing it. Good thing about our age isn't it? We don't need to have a bunch of drama and don't necessarily need to tell someone everything. Just picking the parts that helps everyone understand why we do what we need to do and leaving the stuff that nothing good comes out of behind.

xoxo
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys,
Shoes sorry about your cat, I understand how you feel.

Sass, well done on the breakup, sometimes we really just have to get negative people out of our orbit or they will continuously suck the life out of us. She is obviously one of life's victims who doesn't want to be rescued or she can't be 'poor me' any more.

Budd kudos mate, I'd have slipped in the odd backhanded cuff 'accidentally if it was me!

Oh and congratulations Budd and March, the twins on their own 8 months a wee while ago. I guess we were all kinda playing it down not to dishearten any of the returnees, but I know everyone here will surpass 8 months in double quick time!

Must go, being nagged by gson to put the tv on kids shows for him & still have a mountain of ironing to do! X
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Shoes, I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty. I know it's part of loving a pet, but losses are always sad. I still feel the loss of each one of my dogs - but the joy and love they bring us during their too short lives is like none other.

Sassy, sorry to hear you had to go through that break-up with an old friend but good for you for doing it. I usually take the coward's way out and just cease contact with people in those situations. Not very mature.

Congratulations to you too Bud and Marcher! 8 months is so wonderful!!!!!! We should keep a chart of everyone's sober dates so we can keep track of the celebrations. All of your dates give me inspiration so I love celebrating then with you! I may have restarted the calendar but I am by no means back to square one. It's so much easier this time around - I guess since I know what to expect. So yes, we will be there in no time!!!!

Hoping everyone is having a great day/evening!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Thank you for the support! I feel like a weight has been lifted. Somehow being sober gives me a different perspective or perhaps it is part of building a healthier life for myself.

Marcher and Bud, belated congratulations on 8 months! It's exciting to see the great progress on this thread Some of us have had slips but we are still here working our tails off to end up with a healthier and happier life.

Duff, I agree that a slip doesn't feel the same as starting over. During my long stretch of multiple slips, I still learned things about myself that helped me. I'm seeing it as always a work in progress rather than something to be "solved" once. It's a lifestyle and a way of thinking. Surrounding ourselves with healthy, positive people is part of it. Physical activity and other healthy behaviors all help. Perhaps it comes down to a positive lifestyle and frame of mind and a determination to manage our lives in a positive way. Wow, that's a lot of positives :-). Love it!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sass,

I recently had a like experience with an old friend, over the years I have lent him money that will never get paid back, he has borrowed things that came back broken, have bailed him out of jail twice and given him a place to stay on numerous occasions.

The last straw was a car I was selling him, I let him make payments to me which I had to chase him down for every month. He's on disability right now and gets more than enough to pay me, but if I wasn't with him the day the deposit hit the bank I wouldn't get it without a chase.

I got a call one day from a local mechanic who told me he had the car towed to his shop and when the repair estimate would be over $2000 he told the mechanic to call me and tell me he didn't want the car anymore. The mechanic then said the car was ruined, all windows were broken, the rear end was smashed in, the interior was a disaster. All I could do was give him the title for the towing bill and let him part out the car.

All I can think is he got high and smashed it, I may have lost the car and a friend but who need friends like that anyways ( yet, I think we all have one)
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Bud, about all I can think of to say is "oh my"! That certainly qualifies for the category of "with friends like that, who needs enemies"! I am beginning to realize that part of living a happy, sober life is recognizing old patterns of behavior that are destructive for me and finding ways to change them. It's much harder than I realized to let go of a "friend" who subtracts from my life than I had realized. I still have some residual guilt feelings but I feel about 1000 lbs lighter.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I think that's a reason I'm heading to the pet shop for some new fish, and some toys for the 4 legged creatures!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I haven't had any baggage friends for years but I do have 2 where are lives are just different and we don't do much together anymore. They were just very needy and when I quit drinking and had my Mom they didn't really understand why I quit meeting up with them on Fridays. The one we've been friends for 24 years. She kept thinking I was mad at her and even though I told her I'm busy and I really don't have the energy to meet every Friday she still thinks I've abandon her. They kept saying they won't drink around me and I kept saying it's not that. I'm busy or tired!

They are very much creatures of habit. I just don't want to sit and eat chicken wings every Friday anymore. I'm not mad. If they would ever want to meet half way and do something different I'd meet up with them. Or pick up the phone and call me. I always was the one that had to plan everything out. That was the last thing I needed at the time. More responsibility and making all the decisions. That's why I say sometimes the most help I got with my parents was sometimes people just leaving me alone. The friends that understood I had a lot going on and didn't try to make me feel like I was a bad friend were the ones that were the most help.

Sometimes no one does anything wrong and I just have to move on or they move on from me. If something changes and we connect again great. If not, that's okay too.

I've had a lot of loss in the past year. I'm not even remotely the same person. I'm not mad or angry about anything. In fact, for the most part, I think I'm a better person for it.

I think I've hit the sober phase of the lows aren't so low and the highs aren't so high. It feels good to just feel whatever I feel and not blow it all out of proportion. Granted, some things still suck but that's just life. Everything passes..even the good. It's not so much a rollercoaster ride anymore. It's more of a winding road with hills.

xoxo
Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Toots, you're moving our way!! How exciting! I was raised very closed to Bean Town in Connecticut. I think you'll enjoy living there immensely. My niece is living there and loving it. I'm sure there is much for you to do in preparation so keep checking in with us! And of course PM me if you have any questions about all things American and how things work over here. Especially up in New England. First thing I would do is buy a Tom Brady jersey

Just got a call from my dad. He wants to meet for lunch tomorrow to "discuss things." I guess I find out tomorrow if he's staying with my mom or leaving her. I really don't want to do this but at the same time I need to know what's happening. Should be an interesting Thanksgiving this year!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Marchers I didn't forget you, it's been a busy day and this is the first time I've sat down at the computer. It's wintry today which isn't what we get in November as a rule -- and still the rain is pouring down.

Duff make a plan for that lunch won't you? If the announcement is what you think it might be a plan gives you something to do when you are trying to work out how to react.

Have a good Sumonday peeps.