Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 7

Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

I see that could be unfair to him, but you've proven to him you are committed to this, he may commit to a couple of weeks off? Also, maybe he doesn't realise how unrealistic and jealous our AV can be? Him drinking would be like seeing an ex lover locked in an embrace with someone else when at its peak! Maybe give him an analogy to explain the strong associations (albeit unrealistic!) we can have when exposed to alcohol.
Hmmm, very interesting Croissant. Never thought of it this way, but I think you may have hit the nail on the head here? I know if I asked him to stop drinking in front of me he would do it in a heartbeat. I just have to be honest with him and tell him. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So, I figure I've saved almost $700 now since I quit drinking.
I was a cheap date for myself.
I physically do not have that money as it gets blended into daily expenses,having fun and bills...ect.
But, I often have some money in my pocket and not a pile of bank withdrawal slips.
It's kind of funny as I used to be frugal with spending to make sure I had enough for the bottle.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
So, I figure I've saved almost $700 now since I quit drinking.
I was a cheap date for myself.
I physically do not have that money as it gets blended into daily expenses,having fun and bills...ect.
But, I often have some money in my pocket and not a pile of bank withdrawal slips.
It's kind of funny as I used to be frugal with spending to make sure I had enough for the bottle.
Bob, you were a cheap date!

It's not just monetary though, is it? The bad feelings, hurt loved ones, feeling like a mouse on a wheel we couldn't get off. There's no price on that.

Do you have little rewards for yourself? How is your family feeling about your sobriety? Do they feel you've turned a corner?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Bob, you were a cheap date!

It's not just monetary though, is it? The bad feelings, hurt loved ones, feeling like a mouse on a wheel we couldn't get off. There's no price on that.

Do you have little rewards for yourself? How is your family feeling about your sobriety? Do they feel you've turned a corner?
I like the fact that things aren't"last minute" these days. I'm not putting stuff off till the last minute because I was drinking. And the ease of mind is a reward for me.

I quit back in like 2007-08 for 16 months. The family is in "knock on wood" mode about this. Very encouraging,but, guarded.
I think that they've been very happy with the fact that I've been left to my means and have not gotten a bottle.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a long time to learn to say no and not feel guilty Leshar but I'm glad I perservered....I worried that people wouldn't like me, but that hasn't been true...with the exception of a few people who liked me being pliant.

D
Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

One of my most freeing moments (albeit not graceful)
was when I told someone who was being intrusive, "no."
and they persisted with "why?",
and I said: "I don't actually owe you an explanation."

Maybe not the most mature response... but it stopped them and taught me a big lesson.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ha! Just to prove I take my own advice, I'm exhausted today and am going to bed.

It's only 9pm, but I figure, sleep time is time well spent!

Hey, and when I wake, it will be Friday! woo hoo!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

111 days.
Take that AV!!!

Feeling good, watching TV and relaxing.
I took tomorrow off from work,
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Croissant , lol looks like you did a bit if practising what you preach ;-)
Still thinks its such great advice .

Getting into pjs and vegging out . Maybe the early sleeps will get rid of some of the alcohol induced aging looks ... What a bummer that is . But will Help rejuvenate those cells hopefully after years of neglect . Glad you are giving yourself a day off Bob. :-) you deserve it .

EQ great explanation , did you feel guilty after ?
How r u ladybug and Leshar hope you are doing well . Much love to all xxxx
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Snoozy: Did I feel gulity after? No, not exactly. Not then.
Later, when my skills were honed, I did feel that I could've said the same thing, but in a better way. Lol But I felt bold and free when I did it. Like, there it is.... I said it.
And there's no comeback for it either. There's nothing they can say. Kind of halts the whole discussion!!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Thanks for the support and feedback!
Great Bonnie Raitt concert tonight here in Montreal! Her brother, David, was in the audience, and came up and played harmonica on a couple of songs.

My girlfriend had a few beers at the concert, I had water, she was cool about me not drinking. Oh she wanted to check out the wine here, so we went into a liquor store and she browsed. I wasn't so comfortable, it was a bit anxiety provoking, a bit surreal. We didnt linger, I was glad of that.

Have to face the music tomorrow with my Montreal friend. Hope it goes ok. Thanks for the feedback about assertiveness, I know I need to work on that. This gal is a very forceful personality!

Looking forward to exploring the artsy area of Montreal tomorrow!
Have a good Friday everyone!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Leshar, glad you are out and about. Just remember, when things get tough....like the bottle shop experience, we are all rooting for you!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just checking in to say Hi. My mood has been a little bit better. Just a lot of stuff coming up that is making me anxious, but need to keep remembering to only focus on today.

Hope you all have a great Friday/ weekend!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the support and feedback!
Great Bonnie Raitt concert tonight here in Montreal! Her brother, David, was in the audience, and came up and played harmonica on a couple of songs.

My girlfriend had a few beers at the concert, I had water, she was cool about me not drinking. Oh she wanted to check out the wine here, so we went into a liquor store and she browsed. I wasn't so comfortable, it was a bit anxiety provoking, a bit surreal. We didnt linger, I was glad of that.

Have to face the music tomorrow with my Montreal friend. Hope it goes ok. Thanks for the feedback about assertiveness, I know I need to work on that. This gal is a very forceful personality!

Looking forward to exploring the artsy area of Montreal tomorrow!
Have a good Friday everyone!
Leshar, I LOVE Bonnie Raitt. Last year saw her here and her brother was also in the audience and played with her. And Mavis Staples opened. It was a great show! Glad to hear you had a good time, and made it through the liquor store browsing (ugh!)

Oh I see your mayor is at it again!! On this morning's news they said he now has a reality show in the works with his brother. At the very least he is entertaining, thought I may not think this if he was my mayor lol!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congrats on 111 days Bob!

Here's to 111 more, and then 111 more, and then 111 more, and then ....well, you get the picture!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Lol NorCaliGal , he was on are tv too again. Just keeps popping up . They take the Mickey out of him a lot in Oz . Glad you enjoyed the concert Leshar

Gotta run late for work . Have a great day / evening Julyers xxxx :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Lol NorCaliGal , he was on are tv too again. Just keeps popping up . They take the Mickey out of him a lot in Oz . Glad you enjoyed the concert Leshar

Gotta run late for work . Have a great day / evening Julyers xxxx :-)
Ha, I ahead about him too on the radio here as well. He's kind of like the funny random news story at the end.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I haven't checked in for a long time. This forum was very helpful to me in the beginning. I immersed myself. I'm now on day 109 and feeling pretty good. Haven't slipped once and I don't feel like I'm missing anything anymore. Pretty much everyone I know from drinking have stopped giving me a hard time which is nice. I have hobbies that consume my time now. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear outdoorsman - congrats
Old 11-16-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Outdoorsman, that's great and thanks for the update! It's always good to hear from those who don't post very often. Helps all of us to know how we are all doing....good or not so good.

Bob...congrats on 111....although it's probably more days now. Thanks for sharing on how your family are supporting you. I'm sure they are very proud of you already.