Class of October 2013 - Part 5

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome shay

D
Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi, Shay and welcome. I noticed my appetite is way up lately, too. I feel like my body is so happy to no longer be abused that it is like, "Yay, real sleep, thank you, let's sleep a lot now, DD!!! Yay, real food instead of empty poisonous calories. Thanks, DD, let's eat a lot now!" Kind of making up for lost time. . .
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi, Shay and welcome!
I rarely ate ice cream before I stopped drinking. Now its practically everyday! It's so bizarre, but I know it's the sugar my body missing.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Doing everything possible to not eat the Hagen Daaz choco-peanut butter mini cup in the freezer...grrrrr, another addiction to curb!! Where does it end!?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shay17 View Post
Doing everything possible to not eat the Hagen Daaz choco-peanut butter mini cup in the freezer...grrrrr, another addiction to curb!! Where does it end!?
My choice is cookie dough! The calories are adding up. :/
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, HD. I believe it will happen as he continues to see you be strong.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Tobers,
I'm finally back home after my near 2 week ordeal with my family--more later. I've been reading everyone's posts in the evenings but all I had was a tablet and I'm just too old to try typing on those things. Anyway just lurking provided me with the inspiration to overcome a couple of key triggers and stay sober so thanks to everyone.
Welcome Raider!--I hope things went well for you and look forward to your contributions.
Congrats to everyone for all of the new milestones--I no it's not easy but your success has definitely contributed to mine!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome home WhitePawn, glad to see you are back!

Welcome Raider and Shay17.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome back WhitePawn and Welcome Raider and Shay.

Tempe: you are definitely still welcome.

I haven't been eating ice cream but since I quit smoking I have been eating about 30 pieces of candy a day.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

We have got to get rid of the Halloween candy as those pesky peanut m&m's are my downfall. I can avoid ice cream for the most part but Italian water ice is a go every night after supper.

I received some drunk texts from friends watching Monday night football last night. Of course that they had to tell me all the great seasonal craft beers they were drinking. In reality getting together to watch the game is an excuse to pound beers, as I've been there. In my sobriety I am actually glad to be so far away from these friends.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Way to stay strong, Bilr! You're a great example as I will be having my own test on Friday. I just learned that we will be meeting with two other couples for dinner that evening. One of them is big time into home brewing, so I'm sure the conversation will turn that way as the other two guys drink up. No one will get drunk, but they will be drinking. I'll be okay, but I will need to think this through ahead of time.

Okay, what's up with eating sweets?! I'm normally a salty chip kinda guy and can easily pass up the sweet stuff. Since quiting alcohol, however, I've been eating candy like it's going out of style. A work colleague makes it a point to keep a well stocked supply of halloween type candy in the office, so there is a constant temptation. I haven't gained weight, but I haven't lost any either ... something I anticipated once I cut out the calories from alcohol.

Day 21 for me. Three weeks. I have to say that the cravings are getting easier. I still wish I could have a drink from time to time, but it isn't as frequent nor as intense as it was initially.

We picked up quite a few new members over the weekend. Again, welcome to everyone. I look forward to learning more about all of you and your journeys as we continue to tread the trail of sobriety.

Stay strong everyone! Let's have an awesome week!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

WhoDey, I was a big time salty snack person and couldn't get enough salsa. I've totally lost my taste and smell for salsa and rarely eat real salty foods. I do still like pistachios but that's about it.

There are a lot of excuses you can use for Friday night. Most people don't really even care if your not drinking. Also, as DD's hubby pointed out, food tastes so much better when not obscured by alcohol. I was never big on mixing drinking and eating together though. I don't even drink water with my meals at home.

Good for you on three weeks. The more days and weeks you accumulate, the less the cravings are, at least for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 30! Very excited and owe it all to my new friends at SR. Thank you everyone. I look forward to continuing to learn and grow with you!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Congratulations on milestones, Whodey and Counting Days!!!! Welcome back, White Pawn!!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
The movies and TV shows that I find it hard to watch now are the ones that revolve around drinking or constantly have the characters in a bar, throwing back beers. My wife and I started watching 'The League' when I was still drinking - group of guys that sit are always drinking, talking football, etc. Although I like some of the humor in the show, I find it tough to watch - I feel jealous of these fictional characters in a way. Hanging out with the guys and drinking beer was one of my favorite pastimes, if not most favorite - hence my alcoholism...you should never enjoy anything too much. All said, I'd rather distance myself from alcohol-centric entertainment, especially those where the characters are enjoying themselves so much. Make any sense?
This totally resonates with me.

If I constantly watch shows or read books that make drinking "without negative impact" seem possible, normal, better...then I start to either convince myself that I, too, can live that way...or that it's ok I drink heavily...or that if I don't in missing out.

I'm slowly getting to the point where I watch those movies/shows and think that I know better, that THEY are the ones that have it wrong, and I can watch for the pure drama/comedic value.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Congrats on the milestones, counting days and WhoDey!

I've got one too! 30 days today! I'm not really counting but out of curiosity this morning I went back and counted and found out I'm on 30. I had to count twice because I couldn't believe it. Thanks to everyone here. I really couldn't have gained all this insight into drinking on my own. You're the best!

WhoDey, before you go out on Friday with the other couples, I recommend looking up SMART Recovery and looking at the ABC's tool. It's a good way to think through an event where you know you'll be tempted. I filled out the worksheet before I went to see my friend's band play and knew I might be strongly tempted to drink. It made me think through my choices thoroughly before I was in the moment. Just a suggestion. You can get through the evening, you're strong.

Hope everyone is doing well. Welcome to those who just joined us! Stay sober today!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
We have got to get rid of the Halloween candy as those pesky peanut m&m's are my downfall. I can avoid ice cream for the most part but Italian water ice is a go every night after supper. I received some drunk texts from friends watching Monday night football last night. Of course that they had to tell me all the great seasonal craft beers they were drinking. In reality getting together to watch the game is an excuse to pound beers, as I've been there. In my sobriety I am actually glad to be so far away from these friends.
Hear you loud and clear, Bilr. For me this is one of the toughest parts of sobriety: getting away from the 'old' me who used to find any excuse in the book to pound beers with the guys, often over sports. At the moment, I live very far away from my old drinking buddies because of where I'm working - there's an ocean between us - making it easy to avoid these guys. The good news is that I don't ever have to live near these 'influences' again, giving me the freedom to start over with new friends and new habits wherever I end up. Still, I'm certain there will be times that I get invited to come out for beers and it might be tough to say 'no', repeatedly.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Yo!! Just a quick check-in. Still sober. Thought I'd share two websites that I found today...

Tiny Buddha: Wisdom Quotes, Letting Go, Letting Happiness In
zenhabits

I've been doing a lot of soul searching since my attempts at quitting booze, and I'm liking these sites, they seem interesting, focused, inspirational, motivational, and positive. Sharing the love. Hope you enjoy also.

Squeek soon.

Sicknote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Hear you loud and clear, Bilr. For me this is one of the toughest parts of sobriety: getting away from the 'old' me who used to find any excuse in the book to pound beers with the guys, often over sports. At the moment, I live very far away from my old drinking buddies because of where I'm working - there's an ocean between us - making it easy to avoid these guys. The good news is that I don't ever have to live near these 'influences' again, giving me the freedom to start over with new friends and new habits wherever I end up. Still, I'm certain there will be times that I get invited to come out for beers and it might be tough to say 'no', repeatedly.
I lived across the pond for a few years as well. The country I lived, it was frowned upon to be seen "borracho" in public. Now I am back in the US and about 1,000 miles south of my old drinking buddies. That made it easier, but not easy as I just started drinking by myself. With all the moving we've done, I've had a hard time staying in touch with sports like I used to. The football and baseball scene down here is terrible.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sicknote View Post
Yo!! Just a quick check-in. Still sober. Thought I'd share two websites that I found today...

Tiny Buddha: Wisdom Quotes, Letting Go, Letting Happiness In
zenhabits

I've been doing a lot of soul searching since my attempts at quitting booze, and I'm liking these sites, they seem interesting, focused, inspirational, motivational, and positive. Sharing the love. Hope you enjoy also.

Squeek soon.

Sicknote
Great websites, Sicknote! Thanks!!