Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 15

Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
Evening all, just got in from aa meeting, its a pretty quiet one so got to share, haven't felt like drinking today which is good. Feeling 'normal' has been my undoing this year though, that's why im hammering the meetings just to keep myself grounded and reaffirming my knowledge that I cannot drink safely.

I used to love reading biographies on famous alcoholics- probably the obsession part of the illness coming out, and today I came across a new Oliver Reed one, I used to love reading about his drinking behaviour (check his interviews and appearance on 'After Dark' on you tube), the wild side interested me, but alas it did me no good.
Oliver Reed was a madman. I like biographies too 1step.

I've noticed the heavy drinking celebrities don't make it to old age. I'm glad you're not one of them. The world would be a lesser place without you, and everyone else here.

You're better without the drink. :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Ditto! -except I WISH I didn't remember!!

Had a dream last night that I was in Paris with you-know-who's makeup person at a five-star hotel overlooking the Seine and we went club hopping and I was miserable being in Paris unable to drink.

Right before I woke up I had made the decision to drink wine, justifying doing so by the fact that I was in Paris, and that's the feeling I woke up with.

I ACTUALLY lay in bed for a few minutes after waking up and agreed that, were I in that situation in reality, I would drink!

I've since snapped out of it, but GOT DAMN! I HATE that my dreams can have THAT much power over my thinking!!
All I know is whatever my dream was last night it had me thinking I should buy a gun when I woke up.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
UI

Is it the feelings you can remember that leave you wide awake ?
Yeah feeling scared mostly. Like are all my doors locked, etc.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

So my boss just dropped a complete load of BS on me at 4:45 that will pretty much take all my time for the next week. Stress went through the roof. Considered getting hammered then was like, nah. Don't need that.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

UI

Maybe its work that is causing you to have those dreams ? I am not sure they are strictly alcohol related as I remember when I was highly stressed or anxious (but sober) I used to have horrible nightmares where I would wake up in panic and jumping out of my skin.

Take 4-5 long deep breaths from the belly. Be still and hold your breath for as long as possible after each exhalation. Then check how you are feeling.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Lillian, in my experience with sharks, they're really not that dangerous if they're not hungry. If they've had a few they probably won't even notice.
Enjoy that retreat! I am a bit jealous
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Lillian, that massage sounds wonderful. I could use one of those.

We are traveling for the weekend and I pack myself and the children and the feed bag to cover the dietary needs of my daughter and myself. Nobody is listening to anything I say. I had a bit of a fit on all of them. I keep trying to discuss serious plans for the trip with my husband and the kids will talk over me and he responds to them! So, he is basically giving them permission to interrupt and talk over me by indulging it. Pet peeve of mine. Nobody listens to me here.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
We are traveling for the weekend and I pack myself and the children and the feed bag to cover the dietary needs of my daughter and myself. Nobody is listening to anything I say. I had a bit of a fit on all of them. I keep trying to discuss serious plans for the trip with my husband and the kids will talk over me and he responds to them! So, he is basically giving them permission to interrupt and talk over me by indulging it. Pet peeve of mine. Nobody listens to me here.
Rochele, that happens to me all the time. It drives me insane!

Try and have a nice weekend though.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Okay I did it I went to my first AA meeting at lunch today it was okay. 4 people + me one guy just under 2 years sobriety. Everyone else sober long time.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Okay I did it I went to my first AA meeting at lunch today it was okay. 4 people + me one guy just under 2 years sobriety. Everyone else sober long time.
Congrats Fish!!!!! I'm so happy for you. They vary in meeting size a lot. I find the 5 people ones a little awkward and also find the 75 person ones the same.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I have been having a lot of strange dreams too some of them are just really odd. But last night was scary I bought a new house I went in the basement when I heard a scary noise three people jumped out and I started screaming and they attacked me with ice picks I remember laying on the ground and the guy was poking me in the eye ball with one of the ice picks I woke up screamin and sweaty. And I almost peed my pants. So I got a pretty early start on my day. I'm glad there was no booze in the house because I needed a shot.
I think I dreamed about my eye getting poked because my eye has been hurting since my eye surgery.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Way to go, Fish!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Wow, awesome Fish!!

I asked for tomorrow off from work as a vacation day so I can have a 4-day weekend. I need to regroup and attempt to ground myself again. I also hope to attend a morning meeting not too far from home. But if I don't make it to that for some reason, I plan to hit the AA conference tomorrow night anyway.

I'm feeling a little shy after being away for all this time, but also feeling hopeful as well as relieved I'm finally doing something. I know it will be good; like going back home after a long time away in a not-so-nice place.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good on the meeting, Fish! That dream sounds awful.

I am having Thursday night cravings combined with stress. And just watched husband chill himself some beers. I think I have some more laundry to fold. Sigh.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I just figured out its been 33 days since my slip 1 drunk day out of 61 days I'm proud of myself Pat myself on the back. And I bought some pistachio ice cream for later. Yummo
Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I am having Thursday night cravings combined with stress. And just watched husband chill himself some beers. I think I have some more laundry to fold. Sigh.
Rochele, you and I live painfully similar lives sometimes! Time to buy a new bag of chips, perhaps?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a great night everybody be safe and sober. I gotta go do a little bit of work I gotta get a bunch relay code figured out for a customer .
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Went on a bike ride with my kids in the trailer today and made it around 3 miles. That's a lot for me. Before giving up drinking I would get out on the bike and be so out of breath and tired trying to bike uphill, I'd just give up and walk, but now I'm able to persevere and push through it more and am feeling stronger than ever. Day 56 here. Feeling great. got another biofeedback session tomorrow and I'm actually going to start working for him part time to help pay for my sessions. It's 60.00 each time and I'm ten days in. That's a lot of money!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
So my boss just dropped a complete load of BS on me at 4:45 that will pretty much take all my time for the next week. Stress went through the roof. Considered getting hammered then was like, nah. Don't need that.
This is soooo cool!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Fishy

Well done on going to AA and the 33 days. You've made a lot of progress indeed. How was the AA meeting ? Did you think it was of any use ? Any connection with the other AA folks or did you think they were nut jobs

That's one heck of a nightmare. Good material for a horror movie, give David Cronenberg a call