Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 15

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks Kane. I really appreciate your advice. I especially liked what you said about anxiety comes from living in the future. I thought about that and your right. If I have learned anything from my sobriety is that you have to take it One Day At A Time. I never thought to apply it in other areas if my life!

Thanks so much again. You have given me hope. I will try very hard today to put the anxiety to rest, continue to do my best at work, and hold my head high.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anxiety comes with losing your job Kell.
I've had some success with deep breathing tho

Breathing Exercises

I really like what Kaneda said - the impulse is to take this personally, but it's really not.

Both you and Kaneda seem to be people with a lot to offer - I hope both of you will find not only a new job, but a better one

D
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks guys - I'm fine now. I had a very vivid dream a couple of nights ago that put me in a weird place. A good nights sleep does wonders.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

(((Kell)))
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sorry to see you have anxiety, kell. I suffer from anxiety. Try to nurture yourself through this, take time fo royu, walks, eat well, etc... I try to do some deep breathing/relaxation breaks when it hits me. It really does help.

I hope you can find a new job that you like. That is stressful, to suddenly be forced into a job search when you have been secure at your present situation.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm sending you positive thoughts and best wishes, kellbell.

I would have a really hard time training my replacement when I'm not leaving on my terms. That must be extremely surreal feeling. Kind of like an extra kick in the pants? Not fair at all.

We're here for you.

I also think you will come out of this shining. Kaneda, too, for that matter!

Hugs to you both!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I am just overcome with gratitude for and amazement with this class!

It's amazing how our problem of alcohol and our common desire to stop drinking has brought us together in such a supportive place. Kellbell, your job loss just magnifies our community strength. We all care so much about one another and are really committed to pulling one another through the rough patches. Did you ever imagine that you would gain an international group of bada$$ friends if you would just put down the bottle? I sure didn't. You all are well worth the trade.

Love you all. Keep your eyes open and Carpe the snot out of this diem!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I totally agree Grace!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I've had anxiety problems over the years and at times they were bad enough to escalate into full-blown panic attacks. My husband even called an ambulance once and I ended up in the hospital a few hours.

From there, I got some counseling where I learned breathing and relaxation exercises which really help. The other thing that helps me is getting in back touch with my spirituality (I know, not for everyone), and remembering what I learned from the 12 Steps, especially the parts about trusting my higher power/the universe/whatever you want to call it to guide me.

Now I'm reading Eckhart Tolle's books and learning more about living in the moment. Yes, that One Day at a Time is useful for way more than just not drinking. I'm learning/relearning that living in the past or the future can be a big source of anxiety and unhappiness.

Last edited by Bird615; 11-07-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Potato chips. That is all I am sayin'. I need a new addictions forum. Oh, and must not forget the onion dip. Sigh...
Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Slept very heavily all morning again. Had really strange dreams. I must try to motivate today. It's been extremely difficult this week. But I remember square one being like this...
I freelance so right now I don't have any work until the 13. Which is good if I'm going to be in this much of a fog. But it feels like I am wasting a lot of time.

Sorry to see some of you are having anxiety and sleep troubles. I don't mean to brag about over sleeping haha! I was in your shoes a couple of nights ago. It might be that I'm still recovering from that. Also, after the time change and as it gets colder and darker, I become more of a night owl
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I've been having crazy, disturbing dreams that I can't remember. They wake me up and leave me wide awake for a bit totally freaked out.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I've been having crazy, disturbing dreams that I can't remember. They wake me up and leave me wide awake for a bit totally freaked out.
Ditto! -except I WISH I didn't remember!!

Had a dream last night that I was in Paris with you-know-who's makeup person at a five-star hotel overlooking the Seine and we went club hopping and I was miserable being in Paris unable to drink.

Right before I woke up I had made the decision to drink wine, justifying doing so by the fact that I was in Paris, and that's the feeling I woke up with.

I ACTUALLY lay in bed for a few minutes after waking up and agreed that, were I in that situation in reality, I would drink!

I've since snapped out of it, but GOT DAMN! I HATE that my dreams can have THAT much power over my thinking!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I heard that that is quite common in early recovery. I remember when I was quitting smoking I was on the patch, and I had really vivid and violent nightmares. But maybe I'm a bit weird, I actually enjoyed the ride. And waking up ok and in the mundane was kind of exhilarating.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Just checking in again, wrote the exam today and relaxing at course dinner. Drinking regular Coke, the others having wine hasn't bothered me at all. Flying home tomorrow afternoon. Will check in on us when i get back to my room if My connection works that is.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Potato chips. That is all I am sayin'. I need a new addictions forum. Oh, and must not forget the onion dip. Sigh...
Me too! It's frightening how quickly they go down! Just bought a bag of the pico de gallo Lays chips over the weekend "for my in-laws." Nom nom nom.....
Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Evening all, just got in from aa meeting, its a pretty quiet one so got to share, haven't felt like drinking today which is good. Feeling 'normal' has been my undoing this year though, that's why im hammering the meetings just to keep myself grounded and reaffirming my knowledge that I cannot drink safely.

I used to love reading biographies on famous alcoholics- probably the obsession part of the illness coming out, and today I came across a new Oliver Reed one, I used to love reading about his drinking behaviour (check his interviews and appearance on 'After Dark' on you tube), the wild side interested me, but alas it did me no good.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

1stepup, I thought I was meant to live my life with a glass of whisky in hand at the end of a long day. But it didn't turn out like that. I'm not supposed to drink alcohol. In the process of accepting my fate. I'm now back at my hotel room, drinking tea.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
UI

Is it the feelings you can remember that leave you wide awake ?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Lillian is at a retreat related to her work. Enjoying a hotel-spa in La Jolla, right on the Pacific.

80.minute.hot.stone.massage. If I could, I would arrange one for each one of you. Anxiety is a distant memory...

Happy hour with co-workers at 5:00. Then dinner. Usually a booze fest.

I don't feel weak. I just can't tell my coworkers anything personal.

I am imagining a kooky silent movie in my head while I dodge the shark tank I am about to enter.

Like Mohammad Ali said...float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. I am putting on my smart hat....please stay on missus hat, just for a little while. Wish me luck.

This place is so beautiful and peaceful. Let this feeling stay with me.