Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 23

Old 10-28-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Midnight, sneaking in there. Just as long as you're okay.

Gxx
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Whoops and Dee, hope you're doing as you're told and not doing too much.

Gx
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi Undies-
BF--best wishes on your upcoming exam, I'm sure you'll rock it! I also agree with you about visiting SR regularly, when I'm away, the AV seems to get a foot up.

However...I was thinking about something today, and granted I'm only on day 10 and I've been on day 10 many times in the past, but this time seems different. Its as if I finally see alcohol for the poison it is, not the way it tries to appear to us--as a best friend, or a reward or as something we can't live without.

I know its way early days for me, but I'm going to hold on this so when I get the AV acting up I'll remind myself that he's full of lies.

I hope everyone is staying strong and doing well today!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Lou Reed died?! I just saw Toots' post. I didn't know.

I'm sad. I always kinda liked him.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, again, Undies.

Been reading you posts here)

You know I haven't logged on SR for 4 days and feeling like I've lost part of myself. I think that sober and authentic part I've rediscovered while being here.

I have a weird feeling - kind of I am missing my under-year sobriety. Why? Because when I failed to fix something in my life I had an excuse "I am still in early sobriety, so I have to focus on it first". Now it is not an eligible excuse any more, and I am starting to feel again like a loser.

Toots - great pic!

Stevie - sorry you cousin didn't win. I am going to watch Hopkins vs Murat today) I know Hopkins won but still it would be interesting.

Boozefree - good luck to you).

Samwitch - Glad to see you back! Maybe, make some changes in your plan this time? AV is a sneaky beast, and it requires the whole artillery of sobriety guns to keep it in place)

My best wishes to all the Undies.

See you later)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Undies, day 216 of sobriety. Looking forward to my AA meeting tonight. I go to about three a week.

Sorry to be missing for a few days. The Sober Recovery App doesn't appear to work, and that is how I usually log in. I am now just using my browser on the IPhone.

Work is going well, and running is my new habit. It was nice to see people missed me. I had a great weekend with the family. Being a sober father and husband is the best. I even made homemade Chicken Noodle soup in the slow cooker yesterday.

Hi Grace, Toots, BoozeFree, Steve, Jim, Midnight, Dee, Melvin, DG, DorothyParker, and all the Undies.

I need this group so much, as you keep me strong. We only have to be sober today, because tomorrow hasn't happened yet. We can find peace and our true self when sober.

God Bless all of you.
Matthew
Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

all under control Grace

D
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Undies --

Hope all in the UK and vicinity stayed safe throughout the storm. Hurricane Sandy hit us about a year ago-- a year ago tomorrow, I think. My liquor store and I were unaffected. My office building was a storm shelter and for about a week it was just me, my bottles, the displaced storm victims, and the volunteers. Weird memories.

WWG, good to see you posting -- you were missed.

MB, thanks for coming around to check in with us newbies. You sound all growed up these days.

Grace & Toots, love reading your posts. They always have a lot of wisdom & humor.

I've had an ok day -- didn't have to talk to too many people, which was restful. Been listening to some Lou Reed. He was such a fixture in this city, like a punk World Trade Center. I hope there's some kind of public tribute to his life. I used to hang out at Max's Kansas City in its second incarnation -- after the Velvet Underground days, in 1979-80. Don't know if I saw any famous bands there-- I think I'd just stop in for a drink (I was 16) and to score some drugs. Anyway, I'm putting in a new avatar on account of those memories & the time of year.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Toots- sorry, but I don't think I'll be sharing any pics. I like to be anonymous and all. But I will say, I ordered my shirts in black and not the pink Carlos posted. Gotta admit, I'm just not a pink sort of girl.

Home now from my trip. What a long couple of weeks!! I love traveling, but it's nice to be home now. I'm pretty beat. Still got some unpacking and settling back in to do, haven't even opened the package with my shirts in them yet.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Courage loving the Misfits avatar!! Good choice

Grace glad you survived the storm pretty well.

MD don't feel like a loser, just being sober makes you a winner!

WWG the app won't work on my phone anymore either! Frustrating since I was just getting used to it!

Dee any clue what's going on with the app? Seemed to stop working with the newest iPhone update.

Well I had a pretty average day. Nothing too exciting and went by pretty fast!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

all I know is the techs are still working on it BF.

D
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hiya guys , i haven't posted for a few days here and same her midB i feel like i have missed heaps !
Such a great bunch of people and never a dull moment.

Welcome Mel
BF what an opportunity for you , you will be successful , you are always so wise.

Hiya Tootsie , Carlos , Gracie , courage DG ,mad bird , Jim , drake ,samwitch., Nuway , and although we are matthewless , let's hope he is living life and too busy for us .
Xx
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies. Keep up the Hope and Courage, you are all an inspiration to me. We are a strong bunch, and deserve to enjoy a sober life.
Matthew
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are things Matthew?

D
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey everyone....
I have a big challenge coming up his week end. My wife is going away for 3 days...Peace and quiet for 3 days....Just me this week end..No one else home...so...you know where this is going..
I am putting it out there...I need some structure and figure if you guys knows I am less likely to give in to my av...
I don't want to stop my stretch at this point.....

Matthew, good to see you posting and doing so well..

Jim
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Toots - I absolutely loved your picture! What a beautiful smile

Melivin - CONGRATULATIONS ON 3/4 OF A YEAR OF SOBRIETY That is a huge accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself. You made a very wise decision in recognizing a potential trigger situation and protecting your hard-earned sobriety.

Boozefree - That is exciting news that you are able to take the test for the state license! We are all rooting for you. Good things happen in sobriety and you deserve to be happy.

Carlos - I hope you are feeling better. Despite not feeling well your posts are always filled with hope and optimism.

MB - You are by no means a loser! You are the exact opposite. The fact that you have dealt with a very stressful situation and remained sober is simply inspirational.

SnoozyQ - That picture of the dog is adorable!

I have been laid up for the past week with some injuries I sustained with overdoing it on the treadmill. I could really feel a huge difference in mood without my daily exercise. Just a few more days and I should be healed up. I led a meeting on sunday and was very inspired by a young man. He is only 21 years old, but already experiencing health consequences due to his drinking. He received a DUI in May and was court ordered to attend AA. He did take the DUI as a wake-up call and stopped drinking. It was heartwarming to see someone so young working on their sobriety. I do hope that he comes back.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Wow, lots of posts on here. Good stuff.

I read this post that I really enjoyed on the Newby thread a couple days ago. It was about relapsing after a lengthy time in sobriety. Then, how difficult it was to return to sober living. Among this group were people with like 5 years, 3 years, 20 years, etc. It intrigued and interested me on many levels, as I went 11.5 years my first try.

All seemed to do it that first time via the white knuckle way, or slight reading about alcoholism at best...me too.

All had, or were having difficulty and well, really failing at returning to sobriety without relapsing...some repeatedly, as I have done.

Some talked of confidence when they realized it was time to stop again. For me it was deeper. I was flat out arrogant for years. Heck, I did this before. No problem.

I pondered this and spoke about it with a friend. Here is one thing for sure that I decided. This disease is truly progressive. It was growing inside me for that entire 11.5 years. Far, far, far from remission stage then, in total growth mode.

The lack of any program, again, any program (not just AA) had my disease feeding at least as strong. I was very sick, getting worse, and avoiding all forms of medicine.

I was thinking and acting every bit the “practicing”, not “recovering” alcoholic way.

If I even heard the words rigorous honesty, humility, doing the next right thing, spiritual growth, taking personal inventory, just for today, ask for help, let it go, helping another that is suffering...etc, they were just words.

For sure, not a way of life. Bless whatever higher power on energy is helping me to strive to be better...just for today.

I am so blessed to have found all of you on this thread. Thanks for being a big part of my sober foundation, Undies. xxx

I am pumped to catch up on posts later tonight.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Feels like I've missed heaps, too! Reading to catch up.

Jim - I don't have as much experience as some people on here, but maybe it would be helpful to plan out your days? Try and stay busy, but make time to relax to yourself too, and maybe time to reflect on your sobriety and do some work that way? Don't know if that would help you at all but that's how I got through this past weekend.

Hi Tanja - that's good to hear about the young man. I really love seeing people my age at meetings. A lot of young people do not realize they have a problem because I find we are really surrounded by a 'drinking culture' at that age. I can only speak for myself in saying I am definitely much happier now that I've stopped drinking and I am excited to have a long, long life like this No more missed opportunities!

Thank you for that post IWLSAST. I found that until this month I was really just kinda going through my daily routine on repeat and not actually "living sober" like you describe. It made my anxiety really build up on a few occasions. I definitely am someone who needs to reminder that I HAVE to do then work, all of it, even the stuff that may scare me.

Congrats on nine months Melvin! Nice to meet you

Wow BoozeFree - congrats on being accepted! That's really incredible I wish you nothing but the best. Good vibes coming your way!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Taking the advice from this thread I've been trying to do one little thing every day that makes me anxious, to take my out of my own head. I've noticed I have HUGE anxiety surrounding my phone - I don't like to check it. I am scared to check it sometimes. I leave it at home often. It sounds bizarre and completely irrational to explain it, and I'm sure it is. So I'm trying to work on that. But I also just like to have time electronic free (what kind of 20something am I, who isn't glued to their phone?!).

My mom brought my fur baby back up to me this weekend This freaking dog!! She is lucky I love her so much and think she is so cute. Yesterday she rolled in deer poop (awesome). That's the first time she's ever actually rolled in anything bad. Had to give her a bath (which she loves, sits in the tub wagging her tail and looking at me as if to say 'My momma loves me so much she even shampoos my tail'). Then she passed out. Got up at 645 with her today and took her on one of the forest trails nearby for just over an hour; we ran into another Australian Shepherd and they ran. I forget how crazy fast she is when she plays with another aussie; she doesn't get to play with many dogs at my house here! Having her makes me so happy, I'll admit she is a ton of work and responsibility just because she is so high energy but I absolutely love taking care of her.

Here is a picture I took of the forest we walk in !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Forest trail.jpg (49.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Dayover what a fun place to take your dog! I do enjoy being down the street from the beach but it would be nice to also have that type of environment with actual trees and not just palm trees haha. Have fun with your Aussie!!

Tanja hope you have a speedy recovery!

Just checkin in for the morning. Hoping for another great day at work. I didn't study last night and must force myself to do so tonight!!! I'm going to like have to hide my phone Bc it's so distracting for me.

Have a great day Undies!!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi Undies-
I'm tired and grumpy today. Tired b/c I woke up at 2:30AM after having a nightmare. I have nightmares fairly often and drank to supress them, and now they apparently are back. I'm not going back to drinking because of it, but they are really hard to deal with as well as the loss of sleep they cause. :sigh:

Grumpy because of a bunch of stuff-from my SO acting uninterested and preoccupied to stupid drivers on the roads this morning.

And last night the AV was strong--not to drink last night--but sometime down the road...