Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 12

Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

tap tap UI, you ARE doing the right thing!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Congrats on 29 days Kell!!

(((Hooped))), I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with the wife. Felt compelled to share the quote below.

I'm NOT sorry my nails scared you! It is Halloween after all! Bwahaha!

I hope your dog's mouth is now tape-free!! Xo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (27.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clemence View Post
tap tap UI, you ARE doing the right thing!
((((Clemence))).
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I love the nails! So cute!

Everybody have a good day today, September family!

I'm driving to Iowa for the night on a little foliage trip. Hopefully there are still some beautiful reds and golds to see.

Day 2 here, hopefully on my way to an unbroken chain of sober days that give me some kind of foothold to keep going.

I know I can't drink, I'm frustrated with myself at the moment. I'm going to focus on the positives of being sober. It really is a gift I treasure when good things happen as a result of me having it together long enough to see results.

Just keep swimming. Swimming, swimming, swimming.

xoxo
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I love your nails! And I love even more that they are scaring Kaneda (who does not come across as preachy at all) a little bit. lol

Hooped, man, I'm praying for you. Please continue to sober up so you can keep yourself and your dog safe.

Melina, I hope you're doing OK. You don't have to tell us what happened, just know that we have the welcome mat out and the light on for ya, OK? ((Melina))

Renarde, I feel great this morning. My first waking thought was that I was so happy that I didn't drink last night. What a relief. It would be good for me to have a local person I could call when things are tough, but I'm pretty much alone in this battle except for all of you. I do have a sister whom I could call, but she doesn't understand things like you all do.

Black, I got chill bumps when I read that. What a wonderful sign post--you are most definitely not alone in this battle.

Blessings, mates. I'm off to sign up for another 24 hrs.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Barely remember posting here last night. If i could delete all that trash I would. Actually, I would delete the entire last 5 days of my life.
Sorry for the drunken posts.
Day one.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Onwards and upwards Hooped. No need for apologies, we've all been there and by sharing here you can be supported.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post

I am feeling less ashamed about being an alcoholic. Hopefully someday I will be able to talk to people about it. Does anyone else feel like the closer someone is to you, the harder it would be to tell them? I can't imagine talking about it with my best friends and I would rather die right now than tell my parents although they knew I loved booze and now they know I quit so the writing might be on the wall. The less I know someone the less hard it
I have been thinking about this. I wonder if, for me, I am less willing to tell those who are close to me so that, if I fail, I won't have to admit it. I have told my husband and my best girlfriend bc I know they will love me no matter what. But telling my kids, brothers, regular friends, I just don't know. Maybe I should tell everyone so that I will have more reason to stick to it, to avoid public failure. And maybe that's why telling people who I don't really know is easier, because I will likely never see them again.

So, today is 2 months for me. I still feel tenuous. I still miss the buzz, but certainly not the myriad after-effects. And I know that moderation works for me only for a week or two, so, yeah, I need to be done. Still waiting for the confidence to come. All in good time. Still building sober muscles.

Have a good day, all!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Morning all. Been busy baking a couple of cakes for a school event tonight. One I hate, lol. so i will send hubby with kids and stay home. he had planned all along to bring them, because i was supposed ot have had a surgery yesterday. Good thing is the surgery was cancelled because I have no longer been having the rpoblem it was to address! Crossing fingers that stays that way!

So, hubby said he will go anyway, and I can stay home. That is nice of him. I do no tlike it because it a very very crowded, and all abou tice cream, pizza and cake. I am diabetic and hate crowds, lol. So, pretty much not fun for me food wise, or certainly not good for me, and too crowded and crazy to enjoy seeing anyone. So, I am making my cakes ot send along and daddy will supervise son at the event. My older child is an alum and going to help run an event.

I feel bored. Not right now, but with life, on a grand scale. I need to address that. it really wakes up the AV.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I have been thinking about this. I wonder if, for me, I am less willing to tell those who are close to me so that, if I fail, I won't have to admit it. I have told my husband and my best girlfriend bc I know they will love me no matter what. But telling my kids, brothers, regular friends, I just don't know. Maybe I should tell everyone so that I will have more reason to stick to it, to avoid public failure. And maybe that's why telling people who I don't really know is easier, because I will likely never see them again.

So, today is 2 months for me. I still feel tenuous. I still miss the buzz, but certainly not the myriad after-effects. And I know that moderation works for me only for a week or two, so, yeah, I need to be done. Still waiting for the confidence to come. All in good time. Still building sober muscles.

Have a good day, all!
Grace, I completely identify with all of what you said here.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Don't worry about it Hooped, good that you're back on board mate.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Brooksie, I love the nails! So cute!

Everybody have a good day today, September family!

I'm driving to Iowa for the night on a little foliage trip. Hopefully there are still some beautiful reds and golds to see.

Day 2 here, hopefully on my way to an unbroken chain of sober days that give me some kind of foothold to keep going.

I know I can't drink, I'm frustrated with myself at the moment. I'm going to focus on the positives of being sober. It really is a gift I treasure when good things happen as a result of me having it together long enough to see results.

Just keep swimming. Swimming, swimming, swimming.

xoxo
A fall drive sounds nice! My dad lives in Dubuque, Iowa, as do my bro and another sister.

I might go for a fall walk myself! There's a beautiful area at the top of NYC called the cloisters that I have been wanting to get to.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

This place is like a liferaft being thrown to a drowning man.

As I have mentioned, I'm living way up in the sticks.
This little town has one AA meeting a week.
The nearest other meetings are a 2 1/2 hour drive away, so not really very practical.

This place (SR) is just a click away, and it really is a lifeline for me, and many others.

It's hard to relate to 'normies' just what a dilemma we find ourselves in with our own personal struggles with alcohol.

They simply don't understand. They process alcohol differently and can't fathom how anyone could be so addicted to something they themselves could care less about.

One AA meeting a week here. Yet a half dozen places within shouting distance to procure alcohol.

Back to walking the hills here with my dog, and one very sore toe.

Gonna keep a closer eye on him today and ensure he doesn't go sticking his nose into strange things that stick to his snout.

What a sad and sorry loop this is. The only people that can relate are other alcoholics.

I have a sort of semi sponsor in an unofficial kind of way that I've known for years. He's going on 5 years sober. Think I'll give him a call.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I don't think the normies don't care about alcohol. If they didn't we wouldn't notice so many references in our culture about drinking. I think they look forward to a good buzz as much as we do. They just never crossed the imaginary line we crossed that somehow made it ok for me to pursue that buzz nightly alone in my house.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

That imaginary line. Yes.
Hard to pinpoint at what point I crossed it myself.
I have a very close friend, a woman I've known for years.
If we go out for lunch or whatever, she will have one drink and become almost tipsy.
On one drink.
Her face gets flushed and her eyes glaze over.
A second drink, and she's pretty well bombed. And very seldom does she even finish her second drink.
That is something I just cannot fathom.
I've never, ever, been like that.
I think I was parachuted right over that line from the very start.
It just took many years before even realizing I was in a dangerous zone.
And by that time, it was hard, impossible really, to cross back into friendly territory.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hooped make the call

Black sounds like your on the right path
Nuway glad you took the root beer (not sure what that is sounds disgusting

We have an open meeting at AA tonight, haven't been to one before hope I don't see anyone who knows me
N
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Got a sleeping Rx from doc and he didn't even charge me for the visit!

I am enjoying falling asleep naturally, but would rather sleep from 11-12 to 7AM than 5AM-1PM. I am not a vampire!!

I want to hold myself accountable and put in writing that I am only going to take the Rx to fall asleep at a normal hour for a few days until my body adjusts to the normal schedule. I am a pill popper and have NO desire to become dependent on another drug for sleep!

I went to an early meeting, and then I took a walk in my neighborhood. Yes, I live in a concrete jungle, but there is also so much beauty in this city! Fall is my FAVORITE season, and I wanted to share the photo I snapped on my block with you all a few minutes ago. Happy fall from NYC!! xo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (105.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Lommey, root beer is a sweet carbonated soft drink. It's an amalgam of flavors that I don't even know, and it's caffeine free. (If anyone is looking for the cane sugar variety at the store, it's Frostie, not Frosty as I typed last night.) Not sure you'd have this in Northern Ireland, Lom, but if you ever get a chance to try root beer, I bet you'd like it.

UI, that's just what I did a few years back: crossed the line and pursued the buzz every night (or day) alone.

Hoop, you mention it's hard to find our way back to friendly territory. Gives rise to a new metaphor: we are POWs who have escaped the prison camp and are on our way back to friendly territory. And then this: why would we ever think we'd be better off surrendering and going back to the prison camp? Nothing would have changed there, not to mention the extra beatings we would get....
Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Wow, Brooksie: that's gorgeous! Fall is the best, isn't it? I've only been to NYC once, but I loved every minute of that trip.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

OMG Brookie - that's BEAUTIFUL!!! We don't have seasons too much here in San Diego and I miss them. Thank you so much for that visual treat.

You are lucky!