Notices

Codependency and Beyond - Part 27

Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think I need to stay away from the FFSA forum. I can feel that I've lost my patience. I've stuck around so as to share ESH but I'm really noticing that not very many people want that, from me or others. They seem to want ESH as it relates to the addict but not self. I may have to hang out in the Hen House again -- I've always noticed accountability there :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Chino)) - I am so very sorry for the loss of your step-mom - prayers & thoughts of comfort for you & your family

I also have some sad news for those of you who haven't seen it yet - Amy (impurrfect) posted this morning that she found her step-mother dead this morning (that sounds so cold - I just didn't know how else to type it)

I don't know all the details - I'm sure when she has time, Amy will need safe places to share -

Please when you have a moment keep Amy, her Dad, B (her niece) and all the family in your thoughts & prayers

Thanks & gentle pink hugs to all
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh, I haven't seen that yet about Amy.

Amy, I am lifting you all up and praying that you can find some peace in this situation. ((HUGS))
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As has been the case for me for the past few years, I have been stressing A LOT about the holidays, specifically about buying Christmas gifts for my kids. My AH always goes WAY overboard with our son, so he's never left out, but my AH does not buy a single thing for my daughters. Last year was worse--I had no job. This year I will have the teeniest, tiniest bit of money, which is obviously way better than last year. And my kids aren't materialistic...I just feel terrible when I can't give them much for Christmas (especially the girls, when their brother receives hundreds and hundreds of dollars in gifts).

Anyway, I've been taking advantage of a few opportunities to get the girls some gifts. A friend told me about a website/catalog that sells shoes and boots on their own credit system (my credit is ATROCIOUS, and I cannot qualify for any kind of loan or credit card...but this company has their own system and will extend credit in very small amounts at first giving you an opportunity to pay it down and earn increases). I bought my son some shoes through the site last month, and paid them off in two installments. Last week I was able to order a pair of boots for each of my daughters, which arrived yesterday and I've stashed away to be their "big, fancy" Christmas gifts.

I work in our county's courthouse, and twice a year a charity comes and sets up a bunch of tables. They re-sell donated jewelry. I was able to get my older daughter a pair of earrings and a bracelet, and my younger daughter two pairs of earrings and a bracelet, for $8. That will go a looooong way under the tree this year!

I am grateful that my HP/the universe has shown me some alternatives this year, and I am grateful that these alternatives have done a lot to ease my stress and worry about the holidays.

Just had to share!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wisconsin ( know the money crunch all so well.

Rita - thanks for posting about my sm. I woke up for a potty break and was going to see if I could get Mots inside. I found sm on the floor, shook her and realized she wasn't breathing. I screamed for dad, rolled her over and started CPR but stopped when I realized how cold she was.

She just got her refill on all the pills two days ago. The paramedics said she hadn't been gone long, but I was right - she was dead. Because our county doesn't have a coroner, they called in the GBI (Ga bureau of investigations) so we had the cops here, the medical examiner taking pictures and the GBI. I handed them the paper I had copied of what refills she got. I could find all but 2 in her purse, but apparently they found more in a bag under the coffee table - 16 bottles, some empty, some full, some halfway between.

I told dad to call Mr. Bratkin and tell him as I didn't want him to leave for work. Dad and I were planning to go down there and tell her, but we didn't realize it was going to take an hour. I called him back and I could hear bratkin screaming "nooooooooo" and it was exactly the way I reacted when I found out about mom. I talked to her, she begged me to tell her I was lying and I said "baby, I can't".

I didn't have stepbrother's phone number, bratkin said she would call him. He called and cussed me out, said it was mine and dad's fault, threatened us and said he was coming here and taking his mama's stuff. I hung up on him. I asked the cop what I could do and he said "you don't have to let him in the door, just call 911".

I had the followup dr's appt., while there dad said stepbrother had called, apologized and he also called me and apologized. I also notified my stepsister and that was hard.

No one has money for a funeral or any of that. Life insurance won't pay until they get a death certificate and we won't get that until the toxicology comes back. I found out she does have a cemetery plot where her first husband is and also bratkin's mama, so she will be with them. We are planning on cremation. Dad tried to get hold of the supposedly-recovering stepsister and was unable to - not unusual.

Sooo, I'm a bouncing ball of emotions. The police notified the county code office about the shape this house is in and we got an inspection. At least we didn't get kicked out, but there are things we have to take care of. Sm was a hoarder, and we have a ton of stuff to go through, give to the kids or throw away. Clothes will go to Goodwill.

Love you all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Amy,
I don't know if you realize this, but above, on the 10/28, you wrote about advising your dad to hold on to his money for emergencies.
I have those kind of experiences a lot.
They freak me out.
But, that is our gut, our inner warning system. It works if we let it.
Hope your arm heals up soon. You are an incredible woman.
Yup, you are.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

((Amy))

still praying for you!

Wisconsin - glad you are able to do those things for your girls ~ I will tell you as a girl growing up - we were very poor. but my favorite Christmas and the one I remember the most, my Mom tells me was the worst financial Christmas - I remember I got a pair of boots I wanted and don't remember much else - but I remember my mom & step-dad took us to my grandparents farm to cut a christmas tree from their woods, we popped popcorn and put it on strings and put it around the tree ~ we also took holly from the woods & put it on our front porch.
It wasn't about the gifts ~ it was the time they spent with us ~ we got a gift basket from our neighbors church and my mom & I cooked together ~
It's still great memories for me.
So maybe you can come up with something special y'all can do to create those special memories.

PINK HUGS to all
Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Holly - no, I didn't realize the date I last told him that but I've told him several times.

Wisconsin - some of my favorite memories of Christmas were making sugar cookies and decorating them, made a lot of homemade ornaments. Still have some of them I think.

I'm hanging in there. Funeral is tomorrow morning. Emotions are quite raw, some good, some bad, but we're dealing with it.

I had previously asked for tomorrow off to just take a break. Now I don't know if I CAN relax at home, or if I'll guilt myself into starting the enormous task of going through piles of stuff to see what to keep, what to donate and what to throw away. It's going to take months.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Amy, I'm so sorry to hear of your stepmom's passing. I'm sending some peaceful energy vibes to you and your family tomorrow at the funeral.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

kadidee - thank you. I posted on friends & family/substance abuse what has gone on tonight. Long story short, my stepbrother got off meth but is an alcoholic and smokes weed. He drinks beer, he gets loud and obnoxious. He called and cussed me out, AGAIN, and threatened me and my dad. I hung up on him after telling him he is NOT welcome in this house.

Thank HP that when he did this the first time, I talked to the cop here (sm's body was still here) and he told me "do not let him in, call 911 and we'll be right here".

My stepsister said that if he shows his azz at the funeral, she will call the cops. I will back her up, even if it upsets my bratkin (she waffles between adoring him and hating him).

My sm deserves to be "sent off" in peace, and I will do my part to make sure that happens. I am ever so grateful for recovery both from addiction and still working on codie stuff THAT, I've found, is an ongoing process.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself, Amy. Even if you don't feel comfortable taking a break, please make sure you do and fill the time with something that lifts your spirits. There is a reason for this:

I asked my therapist to squeeze me in after my SM's funeral. I didn't hardly post about it but the whole thing was traumatic, including more awful FOO issues. I learned my mother is a trigger and I have to avoid her like the plague.

I told him that I was dealing with SM's death a whole lot worse than when my own dad died. He told me that's because I've been grieving and mourning the entire last year or so. I was in a good place (mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically) when my dad died, but I've only been in a good place spiritually this past year.

How and where we are when tragedy and trauma strikes, determines how we'll respond and what we'll carry forward.

That is why I said do whatever lifts your spirits. Temporarily forget obligations and tasks that don't affect your immediate existence.

Really, this goes for any of us
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks, Chino. I do have today off, slept late and the only plan I have, at this time, is go find the right kind of charger for my phone so my pictures will upload to the laptop

I may take sm's jewelry boxes to bratkin's, but not unless she asks. I love spending time with her, the baby and her husband if he's there (he works Mon-Fril)

You're right, I've been stressed out over dysfunction junction and I really always knew that one day, she was going to go to far. I also always hoped that she wouldn't.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-14-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

great advice & suggestions Chino ~ I think self-care is so necessary in dealing with grief ~ we never know how it will affect us.

I really believe I am very strong emotionally ~ I can handle many things ~ the death of my Dad did & sometimes still does rock me to the core of my being. And I have stopped trying to analyze why - I just accept it and deal with it.

Prayers for all who still grieve and special protection from those who won't allow us to mourn in peace.

pink hugs
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Phew...it feels like forever since I've been able to really sit down and read, and post. Last week the kids and I fell like dominoes, one after the other, to some yucky stomach bug. Then...Saturday my AH decided to quit the job he was on and come home earlier than originally planned. I expected him to arrive late morning on Thanksgiving, and stay until Sunday. Instead he will arrive sometime today. Unsure how long he will stay. He thinks he'll be able to get a job down in Georgia, in which case he will probably leave sometime on Friday.

I'm well past the point of letting the unpredictability bother me, but I do have some anxiety this time around. Originally, when he was going to be here Thurs-Sun, that would have meant my daughters weren't going to have to be around him (they are very, very upset with him right now...especially my oldest). They are here with me until Wednesday, when they go down to their dad's for the holiday. Now, they will be here for 2 full days while my AH is here. I do have an emergency plan in place for them, should they start to feel upset or uncomfortable with him here. It's all I can do.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Extra prayers to Mrs. Pink, who's hubby is dealing with health issues.

Wisconsin - good for you on having a backup plan for the girls!

I'm at the rehab sitting with my friend again. Pretty sure he will soon be transferred to the memory care unit. I'm sad about it, I can't imagine how it's affecting his wife and sons.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks Amy.
MrPink had a mild stroke sometime during the past week. We are still n hospital doing test - hopefully we can go home tomorrow
He feels better but still very weak
The outlook is positive but it will take him a while to adjust depends on the other test results.
Thanks for the prayers & support.
Pink hugs
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

((Hugs)) about your friend, Amy. Praying for peace for everyone.

Mrs. Pink, I have ALL you guys in my prayers. Wishing Mr. Pink a speedy recovery with minimal difficulties.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Prayers for Mr Pink and the rest of the Pink family!

Thanksgiving was pleasant. It feels so good to say that! I hope I don't ever take it for granted again. Honestly, even before addiction, I would get wound up way too tight to actually enjoy the holiday. Not any more! Well, except for my husband. The older he gets, the more ADD he gets. Half the time I find myself wanting to swat him lol.

Daughter brought her new boyfriend over. His family members are all out of state. He's a nice enough young man but a little socially awkward. They may have something to do with his mother dying when he was a kid. He talked about his dad a little bit and was very proud of him. His dad is an RA of 21 years (on Thanksgiving Day) and has been a speaker at a few conventions. Anyway, I can tell he cares a tremendous amount for daughter and she seems happy.

We're all good here, we feel very much like a family again
Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So glad you had a good holiday, Chino! You were waaaaay overdue for some peace and pleasantness!

I am fighting a really deep agitation and a lot of anxiety. My AH is still here (he arrived a week ago). The job he thought he would have fell through, so he is spending today calling around for a new one (he is hoping to go down south, where it won't be cold this winter, but is also going to check in with a union hall that is a couple of hours away).

We have avoided any huge blowups, although he started drinking last night for the first time since he came home, and all the crap that goes along with the drinking was on full display (passive aggressiveness, muttering to himself very loudly so I can hear about what a sucker he is, etc.). He started to get nasty last night and this morning, and I was able to detach and remove myself from the situation. I'm proud of myself for working my program, but am still struggling with a lot of negative feelings. I'm trying to acknowledge them, feel them, and work through them without them taking over my ability to function well at work, and without them ruining my day.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, I'm so sorry hubby is being his typical self (sorry, but my favorite word, lately, thanks to stepbrother is jackazz..j/a for short) and it seems to fit. I'm lucky MY j/a lives in another state and I can block him on FB and my phone if need be.

I worked about 120 hours, last week, was told I was "a gift sent from God" by every member of Mr. P's family and you know how we codies let that go to our head!! I'm not sure what is up, but I have a feeling that family still wants me involved (can't sit with him where he's at - they only allow their own employees), but I was repeatedly told "this is not over" and they stick to their word. And they love me Heck, I can dog sit!! Poor Muffin is missing her papa AND me.

I was only supposed to work Tue. this week (plus weekend off the clock) but now I have to go take a class on how to be sort of a CNA without a license (nursing degree doesn't count) and also will get my yearly review. May get a whopping $.25/hour raise, but I'm seriously at the point. I need a job where I have taxes taken out, but it doesn't necessarily have to be there. I did apologize for being extremely grumpy when they called the other day. Anyway, that ties up Wed. day.

With all this going on, I'm extremely grateful for my clients and their families, for my family (right now, immediate is dad, bratkin, stepsister, their spouses and kids). My other stepsister finally found out (thanks to dad calling all the numbers on her phone as he paid her bill (no more) ) that her mom died. He said she was upset, but no hysterical or anything. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling she's back on heroin.

Sorry for the novel, just so much going on. I have been blessed with the greatest of friends, many of them here, but the ones I have here have also offered to help and not charge.

Bottom line - your world may be falling around you, but there is always someone/something to be grateful for.

Oh, and shortly I will post new pics of my sweet BB and our dog Tinker, who dad and I miss, but she is SO much happier down there - it will be on whiners.

Oh yeah - I about fell over, considering how Bratkin was raised by codie-in-the-extreme, but darned if she doesn't want to go that route. I'm not sure if it's anything I did/said (I do think some of it is), but she has grown up to be a young lady I am SO proud of.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy