Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 19

Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I have dipped in and out of the Marcher threads since I stopped posting and you are all doing so well. I haven't read for a few days so forgive me - I'm not up to date with everything yet. I wonder about the others who started this journey with us in March and wonder how they are getting on too.

Toots - yes the lodgers finally moved out 2 weeks ago! They were with us for 22 weeks - it was only supposed to be 6. It was very stressful. Their 2 sons ended up staying with us - 26 and 28 yr olds - we had to ask them to leave after a few weeks - drunk all the time, police at the door, peeing beds etc etc (sorry TMI)........ During that time my mum developed psychological problems and is still suffering from amnesia. This weekend we have 8 of my husband's ex Navy mates coming to stay from today until Monday.

My point is that life goes on and there will never be a 'perfect' time to 'sort myself out'. There will always be something.

So, back to it. I'm not going to count days, I'm just gonna do a day at a time and hope they mount up.

Love to everyone (even Natty if he's lurking somewhere)...... I've missed you and it's good to be back.

Shoes I still have your list of Stages pasted into my diary

Stage 1 - I hate myself. I'm sick of being sick and hungover. This is no way to live. I join SR. I'm not even 100% sure I can or even want to do it. I take it one day at a time.

That's me!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Snaggle,
One day at a time is the best I can say some days too! Your right. It will never be a better time than now. Life goes on in spite of what we do!

It gets better. It really does. Life ain't always easy but it gets better. Some days that's the only thing I got going for me! I don't drink.

You just have to push through. It sucks at first sometimes. But every day you do it, it gets easier. Pretty soon it's just who you are. Life doesn't necessarily get easier but it sure feels better navigating through it sober. I just had to push through that first part no matter what.

I'd tell you "you can do it" but in truth if you didn't drink today, you ARE doing it. Just keep doing it. Knowing that how you feel in the beginning is not how you will always feel.

I promise you.

Those feelings of self loathing and disappointment will be gone. You just will get perturbed with yourself once in awhile. Big difference.

You will get to know the real you. And you will like her. You will find strengths you never knew you had.

People will have a whole new respect for you. That was a new one for me. I was always just the drunk party girl. Who knew I actually could be someone people could look at and be proud of.

While you are creating a better life for yourself, you will help other people. You will be the one who shows others what it's like to know how to love and accept yourself and love and accept others. You will show them and yourself that no matter what. You are enough. You are perfect the way the way the cosmos made you. Flaws and all. People need to know that.

You go girl! You get it done. You just have to accept that it's not always easy at first, some days will just be hard, some days you will wonder why you are even doing it. But you got to do it anyway. That's just the first part. It won't last forever. Push through it that first part and then all the good parts of this will start to materialize.

Life will still p*ss you off once in awhile but hey! that's what you got us for. That and all the support you want.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. (((Hug)))

xoxo my dear friend Snaggle!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Welcome Snaggle.........it sounds like another challenging weekend for you.......but it's true, we will always have challenging times, it's life I guess. In my head I am also thinking, today I will be sober. For a while I was posting in the 24 hour thread to keep me accountable, but, for me it didn't work as weeks were celebrated. Not saying that's wrong by any means and the person who holds that thread all together is amazing at it, but, for now, it's one day, this day, no more counting just doing.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good job Life!

I didn't and don't count days too much either. But then I never was one to think too much about the future in much anyway. Just today. I will just take today on and that's about it.

I'd complain about my personal crap but I'm too happy. I'm happy to hear from you and from Snaggle.

I have to go to work looking for work. Yuk. I'm tired of rejection letters. I blame ageism. Yesterday I had a man ask me if I had grandchildren. Ugh! Now I am old enough to have them but it still chaps my a** to hear that. I guess if you don't have any you don't get the good part of having them and when you don't all you get is hey, you are old. I need a job so I can afford more face work. Screw paying the bills. Lol

Xoxo later friends!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey snags, Chuff is still going strong tpstill working in the home, last I heard. Bepresent, is getting huge, must be due soon!
Natty, like a bad smell is still lingering, but he is really busy at the moment and not been well, so hasn't posted much lately. Northlander still pops in from time to time, I'm hoping the snow will keep him closer to his computer, I miss the mutt! Some have drifted over to other threads, others getting on with life sober. Some unfortunately weren't yet ready to keep on track.
It is good to have you back sweetie and you're right there is never a better time to quit, only a bad reason to carry on.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Morning Marcher. I've just heard the news re fires. Can't remember whether u in NSW of QLD. Hope you're safe. Also Dee, thinking of you both atm. x
Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Oh Vic firies are on their way to save the day apparently
Old 10-17-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Marchers, I was frolicking at the produce markets again and then had to work. Now it's lunchtime I'm taking a moment out to say hi and a big welcome back to Snaggle!

Yeah I'm in NSW, Life, to the south of Sydney. It was a horrific day of wild wind and heat yesterday -- the fires were raging. There was so much smoke in the sky that it was dark indoors at 3pm, ash was raining down and the sun was literally blood red. Not that orange you expect in bushfires, actual blood red. The nearest fire to us was about 20 kms away so you can imagine what it was like for those people. The Blue Mountains, the Central Coast and the far south coast have been hit badly.

Today is so blue, clear and breezy you would not credit that yesterday was like it was. Houses and other property have been lost but no life as far as I know which is amazing.

Have a good day/evening/night everyone -- be safe, be sober.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good evening, Marchers!

Marcher, funny coincidence that you are 5' 2". That was my height until I became the incredible shrinking woman!

DD, I hope your day at the docs was helpful and not too frustrating! Did he have any thoughts about dealing with the pain from now until surgery!

WeHav, no apologies, please! When the going gets tough we just sometimes need to let it out!

Snaggle, I'm delighted you are back. So sorry to hear about the long-stay "guests"! That would drive me bananas (with all due respect for Shoes' favorite fruit).

LifeT, I've stumbled so many times. I finally learned not to count days. I put my sober date in my signature and then ignored it for a good while. Eventually (after changing the date a few times) I suddenly discovered I had gone 30 days! You will get there.

Toots, I very much appreciate your comments on life and the way you kindly tell things as you see them!

Joy, sorry your mom is ill. I hope you are ok.

Shoes, you have a wonderfully pithy way of looking at the world. I love your posts! And I agree about the ageism. I have several friends who have been blindsided by that same issue.

Sorry to hear that Natty isn't well :-(

Ken?

Babs, how are you doing? Please don't be a stranger here.

I didn't sleep well last night so worked only a couple of hours today and then took a nap. Other than that I'm well :-)
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, my mom's not doing so great. Blood clots are an issue, so they are giving her blood thinner injections in her belly. Plus all kinds of other stuff. Many long tests. She was bitchy today, so that's actually a good sign for her. But she's not much appetite and very tired. As am I. Good night ya'll.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hey Joy. Not giving medical advice out but anticoagulant injections (blood thinners) are routine for almost all patients with a hospital stay of more than one day, even the big fit rugby/football players. It's a priority for either surgical patients or anyone with cardiovascular disease. What i'm trying to say is, don't worry too much about what they're giving/doing to your Mum. Just concentrate on keeping her spirits up, yours also and remember to give yourself some 'time out'. The docs/nurses will do the rest. x

Saskia, fantastic post. I love that idea of writing the sober date on your signature then never looking at it again........I may do that, but I might write it in latin or something that I have absolutely no memory of and have to google the translation every so often!

Marcher- glad all well with you. I've heard the news and also seen Facebook photos from friends on your side of our border! It seems awful. I remember that smell and the darkness in the air so so well.

Dee - where are you???? Have I missed something? Can a Marcher tell me where Dee is and reassure me everything is okay.

Ken, where are you? I've not been to the cafe to see if you're there but it's time to launch that boat again I think, I'm so in need of a wee cruise.

Shoes: ditto Saskia, I loooovvvvveeee your posts and love you

Toots: even if you live to 102, you'll still be too wise for your age. You have a knack of just saying things how they are, with sincerity and love and just the correct enough info to plant a thinking seed in someones brain. A true skill.

Hello to everyone else: WeHave, Babs, Snaggle, BePres, Natty, North, Chuff.

No doubt i've missed someone but hello to all.

I'd planned a wee quick update, instead almost wrote a Shoes novel

Must dash.

LP x
Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Life you sound chirpy, I hope you are. One day at a time.

Dee is off for a bit, he's been having pain issues and has been advised to take a break.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...abbatical.html
Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Life, thank you for those wonderful words, it is often so much easier to see someone else's problems rather than focus on ones own, I know I am guilty of that, not because I cannot face them, but because I don't honestly know what I can do to mend historic hurts!

Dee has taken a sabbatical, he has put up a thread explaining, if you look in new posts at the top of your page, it may still be there, he has been in a lot of pain and his doc recommended a complete break.

DD, how did you get on? I did notice the other day that there is a forum on here for dealing with pain in recovery, not sure if you have given it a look or not? I hope you managed the time to tuck that project away too.

Marcher, even knowing you are safe at the time, it must still be somewhat nerve wracking being so close to such a conflagration. I always feel for those whose houses are burned or flooded out and lose treasured possessions. I know it's people and pets that matter, but to lose ones wedding photos or a child's first lock of hair, video of first steps or long dead parents. It must be heart rending.

Sass, thank you dearest, while we are all having a mutual love in, your quitting experiences and the way you have coped both with fear and pain in health issues have me filled with admiration at your indomitable spirit.
We are fortunate in this group to have such a mix of views and experiences, ages and gender, we learn more not just about ourselves, but also how we have become so much less judgemental of others, like Marcher and her down and outs.

Wehave, and new news about your partners father?

Shoes, what infuriates me most is the shortsightedness of ageism in work. Older people often have a stronger work ethic, do not need time off for sick children, are not backstabbing ladder climbers, and have learned that a cold does not need three days off!

I would chose the right person for the post, regardless of age, gender religion or colour!

Oh Sass, Natty is fine, he had a bad infection in a dental extraction which laid him low, but at the moment it is a project that has him too busy to visit.

Be well all xx
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello All,

Sorry I haven't been on posting much lately, been busy both at work and at home ( pre puppy proofing). Also helping Captain Shortstick get the ol tub ready for a short adventure.
Starting today we will be taking the boat out for a Caribbean Cruise, starting with my home of Key West. Today starts our annual Fantasy Fest. And we open up with Goombay Festival, Pics will be up in the café later!

Hope everyone makes it for the trip!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

You all are so kind to this old slow starter in your posts! Toots and Shoes, I believe that a big chunk of caring for others starts with and ends with taking care of ourselves. If we are miserable then there often isn't much left over to support others.

So many of you are so very supportive. Some of you may not quite be there yet but that will come as you grow whilst staying sober and present-oriented.

LifeT, you sound like you are "in the groove" - great going!

Snaggle, I'm picking up new resolve on your part to get through this rotten addiction. I know I sometimes curse the fates and feel like screaming "why me?" but then step back and realize there are a lot worse things in this world than to be a recovering alcoholic.

We have some amazingly wise fellow travelers on this thread. Each of you has a very distinct personality that I think I would recognize even without names. And each of us brings important insights and experiences to us all.

DD, I'm concerned that we haven't hear from you since your appointment. I hope that means nothing more than that you are tuckered out after your "medical day". My thoughts are with you. You have come through a lot and you will make it the rest of the way.

Joy, I'm thinking of you and your mom!

Natty, I hope you're feeling better!

And my best to all of our super Marchers :-)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Don't worry, Sass. I'm still alive and kicking. Just so behind on work because of all this medical stuff. Everyone in my home office already knew the situation but most of my work comes out of the New York office (I am highly specialized and no one else can do it up there...they tried to get me to move to NYC and I rejected them last year).

I missed 6 weeks of work back in April/May because of hospitalization and then rehab. I really didn't want them to find out until all the plans were set but I had to break out the, "I'm at the hospital" card again because I'm just falling behind with everything. Of course they're all like, "I'm so sorry! Your health comes first." But I can't help but think in the back of their heads, they're saying, "Really? Again?" Whatever. Can't worry about what they think.

So here's the prognosis. Definitely need hip replacement. Getting the Anterior kind that is much less invasive and with a shorter recovery time. Both hips at the same time. 3-4 days in the hospital and then 7-10 days at home with a nurse/pt visiting me daily. Surgery will be in sometime in November, hopefully the 3rd, but the day before Thanksgiving at the latest.

No inpatient rehab necessary. I should be back to work in less than 2 weeks. I will only need to take painkillers for a few days after surgery and nothing needed now because the surgery is sooner than expected.

So all in all, everything is working out well.

But the ****** up part is, when the surgeon said, you will only need to take narcotics for a few days, I was so happy. But then the voice in the back of my head said, "only three days? I was hoping to get at least a few weeks worth." How messed up is that? Shut up AV. Seriously. I'm not even a big fan of opiates. I am thinking of asking to add a frontal lobotomy to the surgery agenda.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Joy - Still praying for your mom.

Ken - Enjoy the cruise! Wish I could go but I get soooo seasick.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi DD, good to hear from you and hear your update. I missed you in my last post, apologies, I knew it was inevitable i'd miss someone.

May I ask why you require the hip replacements? You may have mentioned why before but I can't recall.

Great news though that it's getting done pretty soon. Think we all worry and stress if we can't get our work done.........but really, health does come first..........worrying bout what others think or say behind your back just makes obtaining optimum health both mentally and physically that wee bit harder.

Easy for me to say. Saying and doing are two different things but it's important to try as much as you can.

Hi all. xx
Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

dd, that's great news! so glad to hear they moved up your surgery! yeah, that messed up brain we all share is a nuisance sometimes. I get surprised and embarrassed by thoughts like that, but when I take a step back and think about it, it's more comical and should be predictable by now. thankfully, we all have the option to tell her or him to shut the flock up.

joy, still praying for your momma sweetie!

things are calm here for now. like I said, j is a normie so she didn't go back to the bottle after the other night's misadventure. it seems I did alright in convincing her it was a blip and no reason to feel guilty, because she is fine and moved on. yay. now we are at the point of relative calm while she figures out when to go home.

tonight I am volunteering for her. we have pretty much the same job at different park systems, and volunteer for each other's big stuff. this is a big program where first person characters from the past interact with groups and basically tell stories of less than savory parts of our history. j is dressing up in man drag and playing a "resurrectionist." (body snatcher). I was just going to float and do whatever, but then the director of her park system signed up for the program. now I get to lead his group. pulling out all the stops then! even ironed my shirt! ;-)

have a good night everybody!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

p.s. shoes, sending you fabulous new job vibes, and marcher, sending you put out the fires vibes!

oh and ken, have a lovely trip with captain swagglepants or whatever his name is! ;-)
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

There are now some Goombay Fest pics up in the Cafe