Notices

Class of March 2013 - Part 19

Old 11-02-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Sas - surgery on Monday at noon. I have to be at the hospital by 9am, so I'm taking the train up Sunday night and staying in a hotel. I already called ahead and had the alcohol removed from the mini-bar and my mom will be there too.

I've been a nervous wreck tonight. The physical symptoms of my anxiety are breaking through my meds and I feel like my skin is crawling and electricity is running through my veins. I want to drink to make it go away. But I won't. I've been cleaning my apartment instead. At 1:45am.

I already talked to my sponsor. He suggested I look up an online chat support group. Hah! He doesn't know I post here.

I've calmed down a bit. Had to turn the air conditioner back on to keep me from burning up from the anxiety.

I'll have my phone and iPad with me in NYC. I need to do a bunch of continuing education credits online so I figured the hospital was a good opportunity to watch a bunch of boring videos.

Unless I have time to post tomorrow, the next time will be after the surgery. But I won't post high on painkillers. That seems morally irresponsible, given the struggles of others in this forum.

Thank god for daylight savings ending. The extra hour is awesome.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes digdug

D
Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Take care digdug, will be thinking of you.
Mick
Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Marcher

Thinking of you, DD! Kick that surgery's ass!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

DD I'll be thinking of you. Surgery at midday Monday equals 4am Tuesday here so I'll think of you when I get up a few hours later. Hang in there bionic DD.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey ya'll. Been busy and such, and staying clean and sober. And honestly, that's been a bit of a challenge. As you can see, I'm still up and its...what the hell time is it anyway? One clock says 1:54, another says 4:32. I'm at my mom's, and I don't think she's much into keeping time, apparently. Ah, my cell says 3:54... Just to tell it, I have been smoking again. Don't everyone yell at once. I need a break. Smoking at my mom's, she's sick with copd. I KNOW! And I'm not even smoking lights now. Good grief, Joy.

Well, happy Sunmonday. Best to you all! Love and hugs!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

DD, good luck with the surgery! I'll be sending good thoughts your way
Beginning with a hot nurse!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD, you will be in my thoughts honey. Re posting post op, I totally understand your concerns. I have never had any kind of issue with drugs so if you want you can PM me and I will relay any news.
Just know that we are all thinking of you and wishing you well. And remember your happy place! Xx

JG good to see you my little chimney, I'm not going to ( cough, cough, sorry about that, the smoke..) nag you about ( cough,cough) smoking, you alr-( aaaruuuuggh) eady know it's bad for you!

Chuff! Old boot indeed!! The only kind of boot I am was sung about by Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman!!! As for old, you've a cheek! Did I say I missed you?? Hmm I'm revising my statement

Marcher, sling a couple prawns on the barbie and I'm there!

Dee, why say it in 25 words, when you can say it in 250?? Lol
Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

DD, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow along with all the rest of the Marchers. Those off-the-chart anxiety attacks I know only too well. I usually try deep, very slow breathing, reading a good suspenseful book, etc. it doesn't make the anxiety go away but perhaps a tad more tolerable. For me it helps to pass the time. You will do just fine. Try to remember that many people have that surgery every day! We all love you!

Toots, you definitely aren't old in my book - I've seen your pics :-)

Joy, even though smoking isn't great, staying sober right now is. Have you thought of trying an ecig so it won't impact your mother's COPD?

Have a good day to all Marchers!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Marcher, that was a nice post about you and Mr Marcher. 37 years is a long time to be married. I think that was awesome you didn't say much but just did it. I'm not so sure that blabbing it all out to the people who love us isn't a little of a burden on them anyway. I give them a break. I'm glad they don't understand everything. That would mean they struggled with it too. Anyway, everybody has their troubles. Even people where alcohol isn't one.

Yes, I agree. Give Mrs Chuff a break Mick. I'd follow Marchers example and just do it and not talk about it much. She's had plenty of talking. If I said anything I would just focus my conversations on her. If you think about it, when we talk about our drinking or not drinking the conversation is still all about us. Ken is right. Be extra attentive to her. Hey Ken, you might be able to break that relationship record one of these days. That was pretty good man advice about women!

Quitting smoking is in some ways harder for me than quitting drinking and in many ways easier. You know what I think Joy. Take your addictions on in the order they are killing you. Granted, we all know smoking doesn't extend life but let's be real. It's better than you jumping in a pill bottle or god forbid, deciding a liquor bottle will help. Your kids will guilt you into quitting again. Quitting smoking may very well be the one addiction where you actually can quit for someone else. And for the most part, it just sucks at first and then it's pretty much done. At least for me anyway.

Anxiety sucks DD! I did find that guided meditation videos on YouTube helped me when I first quit drinking and would lay in bed all freaking out and not being able to sleep. That and I actually took my panic attack medicine as prescribed at that time. I hate pills so I actually took what I was prescribed. Not less like I usually do. Except my heart pill. That one I don't monkey around with. I think that's why I like bananas so much. They have helped me gag a pill down all my life.

What's up Sassy? How are you feeling? I know you had huge improvements on the liver at your last dr visit. Are you still feeling good and not having to worry about that too much? I hope so.

So WeHave...you are outdoorsy. I want a cool parka for this winter. And some hiking boots. I don't stay out in the cold and I don't hike but I want to look like I might. Any suggestions?

Hi Toots. How are the grand kids and the fur children? I have extra fur kids if you want one. My cat just barfed down the side of my couch while I was typing this. I can either go quick clean it up or let the dog do it. UGH! #%^*%*^

Welcome to my world Bud! Dog vs cat. The dogs want to eat cat food and the cats wants to eat dog food. My parents old dog crawls in the cat litter box to sleep. I wash my bedding and within 5 minutes someone has barfed on it. It's a freakin zoo here. A freaking zoo I say.

xoxo
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Toots...Honor who? Patrick what? Were they on T.V. when it was run by gas??

Shoes, I will give Mrs Chuff the attention she deserves, (even though I run the risk of being considered Clingy)

Love to all

Mick xx
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi fellow Marchers! A quick pop-in to say "hi!" Chuff, so good to hear from you. I'm sorry to see you've had a rough time of it but you sound so much better now. And determined.

We are all settled in our new digs and I've never been happier. Oh, believe me, life's kicked me in the teeth a few times lately, but I seem better able to handle it than in the past.

I apologize for disappearing for so long. We were off the grid for a few weeks during the move and then I started drinking and didn't know what to say. I actually was able to moderate for a bit - but then it started to creep up on me. Believe me, I knew I was on borrowed time but I've never been able to moderate before at all so my AV told me maybe I was cured - haha. Nothing tragic or dramatic happened but after I woke up with the dreaded post drinking anxiety last Monday, I knew I had to stop. So I've been lurking and lo and behold, Chuff came back

Chuff, it was your posting, and the loving and wise responses from our fellow marchers that really got me back on track - so I thank you all xoxo
Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Duff! The old gang is getting back together! Aw sweetie, sorry you have had your troubles, but glad you have realised that drinking again is not only not the answer, but another trouble.

I'm happy to hear you are settled after the move, it can be such an upheaval. It's lovely to see your wee pup again, that intelligent face is just too cute! So it's early days again for you too, you and mick can be Chuff'n'Duff marcher twins mark 2!

Chuff stop pretending you are not as old as the hills, no one believes it!! And no it wasn't TV run by gas, it was cave drawings in sequence!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Duffster!
How great to hear from you again, I am pleased to have been the reason for your return
(I think?)I know never to leave the support of this group again, I realise that some can and succeed, but not me, besides I love all you Marchers on here!!!
I would be delighted to be your Marcher twin!!

Toots o.k. I admit it Im 33 next year

Mick xx
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hey chuff, there's a thread in newcomers started by anchorbird, titled something like "husband says its only a matter of time" or something like that. I gave it a read and it helped me. I'm convinced my relationship is going to have some growing pains for a while but we seem heard in the right direction.

Joy, sorry you are stressing but proud of you for not drinking or pillin'. Smoking? Not my place to say girl, that's totally your battle and if it's helping you then do what you gotta do. Can you maybe smoke outside for your mom?

Dd, big huge positive surgery thought coming your way. It will go well and you will feel much better soon. Smart move with the hotel minibar I'm impressed! You are such a strong, principled guy. You rock. If you feel the need to talk go ahead and my name to the pm lie with toots. The painkillers don't do anything for/to me. Buds a good wingman, best wishes on a hot nurse. Just don't get grabby, or she'll find a creative and unnecessary way to take your temp. Or get the other nurse named Gunther to do it.

Shoes, if you are going for looks over function I'm not so good at that as I have no idea what looks cute. North face and Columbia are brands that typically don't break the bank and you can not only look the part but actually wear the stuff should you change your mind and hit a trail. I wear Columbia pants to work and they do pretty well. North face shoes are not too bad I wore mine out too quick but I tend to beat up my boots. My partner wears north face boots and loves them. If you go to an outdoor store and tell them what you told me, you'll either get a laugh or a date lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey chuff, there's a thread in newcomers started by anchorbird, titled something like "husband says its only a matter of time" or something like that. I gave it a read and it helped me. I'm convinced my relationship is going to have some growing pains for a while but we seem heard in the right direction.

Joy, sorry you are stressing but proud of you for not drinking or pillin'. Smoking? Not my place to say girl, that's totally your battle and if it's helping you then do what you gotta do. Can you maybe smoke outside for your mom?

Dd, big huge positive surgery thought coming your way. It will go well and you will feel much better soon. Smart move with the hotel minibar I'm impressed! You are such a strong, principled guy. You rock. If you feel the need to talk go ahead and my name to the pm lie with toots. The painkillers don't do anything for/to me. Buds a good wingman, best wishes on a hot nurse. Just don't get grabby, or she'll find a creative and unnecessary way to take your temp. Or get the other nurse named Gunther to do it.

Shoes, if you are going for looks over function I'm not so good at that as I have no idea what looks cute. North face and Columbia are brands that typically don't break the bank and you can not only look the part but actually wear the stuff should you change your mind and hit a trail. I wear Columbia pants to work and they do pretty well. North face shoes are not too bad I wore mine out too quick but I tend to beat up my boots. My partner wears north face boots and loves them. If you go to an outdoor store and tell them what you told me, you'll either get a laugh or a date lol.

Duffster, glad you came back! This is a very cool batch of folks I'm super thankful to have gotten to join. You can do this. File it away that the moderation experiment didn't work for you it took me a bunch of tries to figure that out!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Duffster

D
Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Duff! It feels like it's time to sing "hail, hail the gang's all here"!

Shoes, thanks for asking. I think I'm feeling grumpy because I can't wait for my temp job to be done! I think I'm finally really ready for retirement and I've always gotten an F in the subject of waiting patiently. I suspect I'm also scared about what comes next because I really have no idea. I've never felt so directionless in my life. I can tell myself I'll figure it out and I will, but those doubts creep in anyway. Will I get along with folks at the retirement place I'm looking at? Will I like it there? Will I be happy there? Will my health hold up? Will I make new friends? I don't do uncertainty well at all. So lots of feelings going on and I'm used to blotting out anxiety with alcohol. So I'm sitting with those feelings and some days it feels like a wonderful adventure coming up and other days it scares the sh*t out of me.

Mick, 33?????? And here I thought you and Mrs Toots were contemporaries --<grin> to both!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers. Hahahaha Chuff -- you're 33 and I see pigs flying in the sky.

Duffster welcome back! Doesn't matter if you had a drink, it's over now and we don't do the s word as you know.

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Marcher, that was a nice post about you and Mr Marcher. 37 years is a long time to be married.
Shoes many years ago when we'd been married say 20 years I would say "we got married when I was 12" and people would give me strange looks. I've now racked it back to "we got married when I was 4" and the looks have become quite alarming!

Have a good Sumonday peeps.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Mmmmmm supersonic bacon sandwiches chuffs favourite!!