Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 6

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

oops...responded to a post but then post was edited so now my response doesn't make sense, lol, so I deleted

Good night, everyone. Hope I can drag myself out of bed at 6 a.m. for fun run. Even while sober, that is no easy feat.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Eh, guys, don't take my 'dumb' description to mean I'm still down on myself about it. Substitute 'ridiculous' if you like. It happened. It happens. I know. It's in the past. It was just so ingrained in me really that I didn't drink anymore that I was shocked by the way I acted.

Nobody died, nobody got hurt, I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. But my attitude was 'busted' before that happened. That night I had somehow forgotten how important not taking that first drink was. I wasn't ready for that small challenge that I'd faced up to successfully for 8 years.

I don't get all hung up on the disease thing. I don't care what you call it. I've got the issue, I've had it to a degree from my teens and I will spend the rest of my life coping with it.

Johnny it was about a year that I drank again.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
w2r

foolsgold, thanks for sharing your story. I've been learning a lot about drinking over the past few weeks that I had no idea about!

Elsewhere, you are right. A day cooking with a glass of wine on the counter was my habit as well. This time, I guess I just wont be feeling so tired in the evening...that'll be nice.

Johnny you were right on with your comments a few weeks ago, about for years being able to cope with alcohol and then it was like suddenly a switch was turned, and now coping has turned into a real bad reaction. Not good!

Kadidee, I have the same wishful thoughts on an eventual return to simple social drinking. Drinking was sure on my mind tonight, as my wife drank her wine. My son had 2 beer next to me as we watched a movie, the bottles I received as a gift today, and this is the 1st time I have reached the third weekend without caving in. But I won tonight, as I will be in bed in the next few minutes.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Had to pop in to say hello! 60 days sober for me today! I didn't even realize it until the end of the day.

Sorry I haven't been posting much, this is my heavy stretch of nights at work and it leaves me feeling pretty useless on my days off.

I have been reading along every day though, I find such inspiration in the support and kindness on this thread.

Good vibes everyone!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats Andrea! 60 days is fantastic!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Way to go Andrea!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Andrea, that's awesome. Woo hoo!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Andreajp, 60 days! That is so fantastic! And at the same time working a string of 12 hour nights? You are strong, Gal! It is hard to maintain resolve on a stretch like that. I remember working like that. It gives me the creeps to think about it. Working nights was always a nightmare for me. You are brave and steadfast. You should be very proud.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Kadidee! How was the fun run? Hope you indeed had fun! I love to do things like that. There is such a nice sense of community. And it's not something usually associated with a lot of drinking. All good and wholesome!

W2r. I've been thinking of you cooking away! I hope your feast turns out well and you have an easy day of not drinking.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Bblackbirdflyy? I've been looking for your posts over in October and I haven't seen you there. Nor here. I hope things are all right for you. Please let us know how you are. ❤💕
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi folks, I'm still cool, week nine. Totally amazed myself, all down to this remarkable forum. Best, Sean
Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Elseware--it felt good. I walked the entire 5K with a friend, but didn't feel bad because lots of people walked it. It was nice to be back home, showered, and eating lunch all before noon. Makes Saturday last longer!

I'm reading Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. Has anyone else read it? I'm about a 1/3 of the way in.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Sean, way to go on week 9!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good work, Sean! How is the weather where you are? Is it starting to cool down? China seems so remote to me, I can't picture it.

Kadidee, I'm so glad you had such a good time! I do love a fun run. I've walked many of them, too. It's really all about the camaraderie. It's kind of neat getting up and doing it early. It makes for a lovely day. I have not read that particular book. But I have heard of it. I've always meant to read it. I feel like saying "Can I borrow it when you're done?" Ha! I will definitely see if it's at the library or Amazon.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I'm reading Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp. Has anyone else read it? I'm about a 1/3 of the way in.
Yes. More of a ladies book IMO so not the best fit for me, but I did get something out of it and thought it was very well written.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

HI guys,

WR2 I'll take credit but I'm not sure I said that about flipping a switch.

Walking Dead, Yep, love it, but I'm all caught up.

Good job MC, I was in China, MY GOD WAS IT HOT where I was. No heat like Asia, none. Brutal humidity, brutal.

Everything is ok today. My bed is hideous, and backbreaking, but I made my decision on a mattress, and got the price I want from the store I mentioned. I'm just waiting to return from Florida to get it. Things with the rental car have cooled down for now.

Treated myself to junk food, more Boston Market. I've been doing that lately. Now I'm watching Get Shorty, not the best film ever, but whatev, I've never seen it.

So now I begin just looking forward to Florida. Never was my dream vacation, but right now it is going to SO AWESOME to get out of here and just chill. It's totally not a drinking style vacation either. Yes there will be temptation, but I want to get up and do things, not sleep all day because I drank.

ok folks
Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi, I also quit in August I am at 68 days sober.

I've been lurking for a while but wanted to start posting. I go to AA but can only make really one meeting a week usually. Lately I've been feeling more and more stressed and my AV has definitely been screaming at me. Figured I could come here as well

Nice to meet all of you. Happy Thanksgiving to the fellow Canadians!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome Candian lurker! Thanksgiving has never been my favorite holiday. I used to just get to sit on my butt and eat, now I have to cook the dinner! Is turkey the traditional thanksgiving meal in Canada as well?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome, dayover!

Elseware, you'd be welcome to borrow the book and I'd even offer to mail it to you, but it's from the library and due back Monday

FG--yep, I concur that it probably appeals more to women.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Welcome dayover! Good move coming here.