Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 6

Old 01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by new star View Post
Thanks so much ladybug!!! Maybe we can bring this thread to life again! Are you still sober now? Well done!!! How do you cope with the daily struggles of kids? Tantrums, whinging etc! That drives me insane and the thought of drinking at night kept me sane
Hi newstar, yes, I am sober now. Have had some slips since joining last April, but have come right back and have been sober most of the time. Had almost 4 months in November, but then struggled over Thanksgiving and right before the holidays. Am on Day 19, again, now and hoping this time it sticks for good.

Coping with kids, oh boy. While I only have one, there are days when the tantrums and drama are almost too much and I say to myself "boy I really need a drink". But, in the past, when I did drink to relax or to be more patient/tolerant it only made things worse because I was always tired and miserable or wanting to drink again the next day. I started hiding it from my husband and then things just got progressively worse. I lost my self respect and hated the mother and wife I was becoming. I finally woke up one day and realized that I didn't want to drink my daughters toddler years away. I wanted to be here for her and remember and enjoy every day. It is really hard some days, but this forum has been my lifeline. My life has improved so much since I quit drinking. Hope you are doing well. Stick close to us and hope to see more of you
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hello Moms and Mums...

This thread has been quiet for awhile, I've been over in December club but glad there's new life over here. Thanks everyone for being so diligent.

Checking in on day 31, besting my last sober stint by 1 day. No plans for any booze any time soon. Each day its getting to be less and less of an obsession. Had a wonderful holiday season and New Year home with my daughter and husband. Even managed to get through the airport without drinking at the airport bar and stay 5 days at my mom's looking at a bottle of champagne in the fridge every time I opened it. Congratulated myself last night with an O'Douls upon arriving back to Texas. It was delicious.

Hope everyone is doing great today. Let's chat more, shall we?

Happy 2014!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Is it bad to drink O'Douls? I like the taste of beer with some foods...chili especially, hot wings, etc...
Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

SoberChristmas... I think everyone comes down differently on this issue. For me, I drink a N/A beer whenever I want. It helps buffer social situations and frankly quiets any of the anxieties I have about not having a beverage in my hand at 'happy hours'. It doesn't 'tease my disease' as some people contend. I think its up to you....
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

What is odouls? I'm guessing a non alcoholic beer?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Wow babs you've done wonderfully! I'm on holidays at the moment and the fridge is stocked with wine which I look at every time I open it :/
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Yes, New Star.. Non alcoholic beer. I have them from time to time but its different for everyone....
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Ladybug wow everything you said rang true to me, even hiding it from my husband. He still doesn't know I was drinking a bottle of wine a night. Very true about the kids. I have to remember while it's relaxing to drink at night, in the morning I feel like crap and am in a bad mood all day And have no patience...til I drink again that night!! Vicious cycle
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

New Star - needless to say, I've run a lot the last few weeks. Just to get out of the house and get the anxious energy out. Which is good since I have been eating everything in sight. I certainly don't know if I could do it again. I think of how S**** the hangovers are and I don't think I could survive the feeling of death that comes with them. With each day I wake up NOT regretful, embarrassed, searching my texts, FB chats, emails, call log I am thankful. Is this how 'normal' people live? I hate the term 'normal' but waking up NOT in a fog? Interesting. You can do it New Star. What's your plan?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Omg babs! So true!! That's what I (used) to do. Wake up and think oh no what did u do and say! I'd frantically search texts and Facebook for things is written. People would talk about future plans we had and I would have no memory making those plans!!
Well I plan to get support here on SR and take one day as it comes...also might get some councelling
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I think one of the biggest things I don't miss about my drinking days is the waking up in a panic over where I hid my bottles and if my husband was going to find them. He started suspecting something was going on and would look around the house in the mornings. Had to be really creative in my hiding and it just got exhausting!! So glad to wake up now without that fear and dread.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Oh wow that's my nightmare ladybug. I'm away at the moment and my husband is at home. I know there are bottles hidden behind the bin at home. I hope he doesn't find them :/ can't wait to get home and throw them out
Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Ah yes...the hiding places. The kitchen cabinet was my favorite place, but also the Tupperware closet, under the bathroom sink...I would even have a glass in my night stand.

Why even once when I didn't want my husband to know I had finished off a bottle of merlot in the morning that was left in the counter from the night before, I put water in the bottle colored with food coloring...add the dark glass of the bottle and he never knew!!!!!

I cringe at all those memories sometimes, but try not to dwell on them. I am sober today, plan to stay that way, and that is what counts!:/)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Dolly I've done those tricks too but filled the bottle with water as it was a white wine. Also have a few glasses in the bathroom cupboard and would sneak drinks in when guests came, I wonder if they ever got suspicious as to why u kept going to the bathroom!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

OMG, Dolly, I would drink an entire bottle of Chardonnay and then fill it with water and put it back in the fridge so my hubby wouldn't notice. He never drinks white wine so I knew he would never taste it. One time I had forgotten I had done that the night before and proceeded to drink the "water" wine the next day. What a shock, lol. It's kind of funny now looking back, but it is also pretty sad.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Lol...isn't it funny how we all did a lot of the same things? I remember feeling so crafty at the time, but yes...how exhausting was it???? Very!!!

Glad to be free of those chains!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hahaha ladybug I've done that too, drunk it the next day and thought gee this wine is very smooth!! Hahaha! I think it's because we don't remember filling it with water lol.

Dolly yes exhausting. All of it was. Buying the drinks, disposing the evidence.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

How are you doing today new star?

I am still trying to tackle taking downtown my holiday decorations. My AV has been rearing its ugly head telling me I will be more motivated and have more energy if I drink while doing it. All lies, I know, but it is making it hard for me. Trying to do a little at a time and then take a break. So now I am just tripping over red and green totes all day. Ahhhh! Just want to get it all done. Day 20 again and I will not drink over this!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Sorry I meant taking down my decoration, not downtown (stupid iPhone)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi Moms and Mums!
I'm making 2014 my sober year! I have 3 kids 8 and under, happy marriage and more to love for. I just need to stop 'treating' my anxiety and stress with wine and alcohol. I'm focusing on yoga and herbal teas at night and so far it's working. Day 7!