Notices

Class of September 2013 part 4

Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Christy, I will get the AA book on monday from my group. I hope it will help.

Day 14 for beginning for me. Went to bed early again after 3 cups of camomille tea. Work and cleaning lady today, no chances to go for a drink
Cravings are not that bad, but next week is my "relapse week" and I have to be careful and avoid social drinking situations. First relapse occurred when I thought I could just have a beer or two. Second relapse after irregular drinking every 3rd or 4th day and then turned into daily.

So it may well be like they say: "Don't pick up the first drink.." Atleast for me.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good luck, Workaholic. You're thinking about it ahead of time, that has helped me in the past. Also, I've found that speaking up about my nerves beforehand in here conjured up some very wide words which echoed in my head, and got me through "relapse" nights in the past.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Plenny I fully agree about drinking sucking away passion and enjoyment. I feel like it was making me into a robot. How wonderful that you started this painting. Keep us posted in how it is going.

It's the middle of the night here and I was just up with sick kiddo. Needed to give some meds, rock, and just generally take care of the poor thing. I felt grateful that I was able to be present and not groggy, dried out and dehydrated, nauseous and exhausted and instead I had what I needed to be a good mom instead of suffering through all of that while trying to do my job. Day 19. The benefits just get greater every day. My cravings have really decreased too.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by workoholic View Post
Christy, I will get the AA book on monday from my group. I hope it will help.

Day 14 for beginning for me. Went to bed early again after 3 cups of camomille tea. Work and cleaning lady today, no chances to go for a drink
Cravings are not that bad, but next week is my "relapse week" and I have to be careful and avoid social drinking situations. First relapse occurred when I thought I could just have a beer or two. Second relapse after irregular drinking every 3rd or 4th day and then turned into daily.

So it may well be like they say: "Don't pick up the first drink.." Atleast for me.
Work, third time is a charm. I see you sailing through next week totally sober. Now you know you need to be cautious.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

good evening everybody,
Sat here and I've had a pretty good day, went to a working bee at the kids school today. My oldest has been there 4 yrs and I've never participated because I was always too hung over. I went with the kids. We dug out garden beds, improved school equipment, built a car track, it was a lot of fun. At the end we had a BBQ, and I kicked the ball around with the kids on the oval before we came home.

Weather was lovely and sunny, so we took a walk up the bush with the dog again, I took my camera got some beautiful pics, the best one was of my daughter falling into a massive puddle, I found myself laughing out loud with the kids, my daughter wasn't very happy (bit of a princess and doesn't like mud) but soon joined in. Was a really nice moment, cant remember the last one we had like that. More moments for my gratitude journal.

When we came home we were all pretty exhausted. Beast started knocking around in my head, telling me it was beer o clock....went and had a shower instead, it passed. I'm still getting headaches but am managing with panadole, hopefully it's just my body realigning itself after my binge 7 days ago.

Oh and by the way all you guys are such a bad influence on me I went to the supermarket looked in the icecream section and found sticky date pudding with toffee ripple and fudge pieces and one called pavlova with crushed meringue and passionfruit swirl. I havn't had them yet I'm saving it until the kids go to bed to reward myself for my first sober weekend and to watch the union game with while my partner has his beer..... grrrrrrrrr.....
I've read most of the posts and hope you're all having a great sober weekend... I'm sorry some of you are struggling just know I'm cheering you on..... alcohol is our enemy and as a sometimes gamer I think it needs one thing (warning stylised violence)
:uzi2:, and if that doesn't work I'm good at hugging too!!!

and I hope bubby feels better soon R....
Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Renarde, hope you little one is much better today. e

Sunset, Is'n it fabulous to get out and about with our kids, these little things we miss when we are drinking and of course or kids are the biggest losers. As for the ice cream I am not eating it so much but indulging in potato chips, but still have a few pounds of weight vanished in the two weeks sober.

Cravings not to bad but mood can be dodge enough at times. up and down alot.

keep with us everyone.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Up at 4am again today! Argh. I am excited because I'm going to my first AA meeting tomorrow. It even says it's for "young people"! Finger crossed I make it in this time...
Old 09-14-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hello all hope you all having a lovely Saturday

Got my phone back yay got it on the way to supermarket all shopping done early before av awakes (learnt it don't like mornings it's definitely a night person) veggies prepared for dinner and most chores done not bad from a person whose normally still walking around like a zombie this time on a Saturday.

Not sure what I got planned next hubby is on his way works away a lot and some washing needs sorting this time is when the av normally stirs.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

~~~Food For Thought...Weekend Edition~~~
~~~Make Today Count~~`

Make it all count

There’s opportunity in this day that will soon be gone. "Make it count" while you have it.

You have skills, abilities, knowledge, connections, passions, and possibilities. Make it all count by making something good and meaningful out of it all.

There are lots of ways you could waste this day, but wouldn’t you rather make good, purposeful use of it?

There are plenty of excuses for why you can’t, but think of how far you can go when you focus instead on why you will.

Behind every desire, is a desire to matter. In every urge, is the primal urge to take hold of the reins of your life and "make it count."

"Make it count" in ways that lift you ever higher. "Make it count" by benefitting life, and those who live it, as positively and as powerfully as you can imagine.

Don’t just sit there wondering if or when or why or how. Step forward, take this moment right now and "Make it Count.— Ralph Marston

~~I'm Making today Count....Day 19 of my "newnormal" awaits. Have a good one SR~~
Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

HI all. Just checking in. Coming to the end of day 5 for me, finally, last night was a night without the cold sweats, hoorah! Lazy day today, done nothing but lay in bed, caught up on SR and read my book. Think it's time to kick off detox mode and move onto recovery mode. A light jog/run and some healthy food to kick off tomorrow is the plan. Hope you all have a great and sober Saturday.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

well it's day 6 for me. starting to feel a little better, today will be my big challenge when I get back in town always want to stop by the liquor store I have to beat that beast today
Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Enjoying my morning coffee watch Manchester United.

Gonna take a shower and make the long walk through all the tailgates and rowdy college students to the football stadium.

Gonna watch my team kick tail then make the long way around to the gym for my arms workout.

I'm gonna survive Day 14. We're all in this together. Glad to be a part of SR.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Renarde...
Congrats on making it to day 19! So sorry your little one isn't well. Laybe that's why he/she was super fussy and pissy all day. Mine would often get that way just prior to being sick. I also remember counting the minutes until "dad" got home when my four were younger. I still do, since sometimes I need him to be the bad cop every once in a while when my "nagging" doesn't work, lol.
Hope today's a good one and that you're to too beat from being up in the middle of the night! Your kiddo's lucky to have you. So are we.

Hope you slept well, SoberChristy.
Recovery themed books have helped me stay focused, too. I've even picked up two with daily meditations and quotes upon which to reflect. I read a dated selection from one in the morning and one at night. They're great, especially because I don't always have time to read the longer ones.
Funny how you, Eveal, and Renarde wrote about rediscovering your inner child. I've thought that, too, over the past two weeks. I've been working on using mindfulness to counter stress, anxiety, and cravings, and it's made me feel like a kid again. I've also been listening to my kids more (24, 22, 22, and 18) ... Their perspective's refreshing. It helps remember the days I saw the world as my oyster and got me to thinking that my life's still full of endless possibilities!

I suppose it's a bit cool up there in your neck of the woods, Uninvited? I live in PA but have spent a good deal of time near Wolfeboro, NH, so I'm guessing the rain you ran that mile in last night was a cool one! You've been an inspiration to me ... your posts and your using as many tools as possible to stay the course. I'm glad you have SR as an option since your local AA meeting isn't well attended... It's so rural up there compared to where I live, that's for sure!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 7. Daughter and hubby off to a soccer game, and I think son and I will join them soon. They go early for warm ups and hubby is a coach. Goodness, I do not know how he does it. I count 5 bottles I tossed under the sink, because I cannot stand looking at them. And I know he brought at least one down to the basement on his own. I went to bed before him at near 11. Yuck! I am glad I did not drink with him. But looking on with sober eyes, I worry about how much he drinks. I hope I set a good example by succeeding and showing him how wonderful it is to be sober.

I have a busy day ahead, attending soccer games and readying for 8 girls to be here partying tonight. They are great kids. I like my daughter's choice in friends.

So, I may not be here much today. I hope everyone has a solid, fun, sober Saturday! Tonight will be tough, but the girls all go home at 10 and I can jump on here.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

abwvu1, Enjoy your football game! You really do live in a big sports town. I remember taking my daughter there for a recruiting visit (soccer) and couldn't get over how much the town supported their local athletes.

Sounds like you had one of those A-Ha! moments, Eveval. It IS something, really, your having water and noticing the difference between then and now. We can be so much more present these days. I'm really enjoying that!

Love the cheese shop memory, Plenny!
It sounds as if you're on to something, letting the creativity unfold as you feel the world around you. Are you a professional artist? I used to paint/draw quite a bit and took up oil painting again (only for a month or so back in April) after 35 years. I loved every minute but haven't had time since finally having found work to help with the bills. What type of painting do you do?

Workaholic... Congrats on day 14! I agree with Renarde that your being cautious this time should make all the difference in the world! I'm coming up on two weeks, and that third week is always difficult for me too. As much as it's important to stay in the moment... live one day at a time... it's just as crucial to look and plan ahead. Thanks for that reminder.

Sunset, it sounds like you had a lovely day with the kids and the dog. Hope your headaches go away and that you enjoyed those ice cream treats!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Yuck! I am glad I did not drink with him. But looking on with sober eyes, I worry about how much he drinks. I hope I set a good example by succeeding and showing him how wonderful it is to be sober.
I totally get this and hope for the same, for mine.

Enjoy your day, Rochele! I know the weekends are tougher for you based on a past post. Well... you made it through last night, you have all those girls tonight to keep you sober, and I know you'll get through Sunday because you'll have checked in here and been on a roll.

Look forward to seeing you later.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

FishnHippy Yayyyy to day 6!

Hoping you take a "detour" both literally and figuratively today. Bypass the alcohol ... and the store all together. Plan ahead and change your route since you know it could have even the slightest potential of being a problem. Just think how wonderful it'll feel to make a week.

Yes... easier said than done, so I'll keep my words to you in mind when I bypass the back of our kitchen tonight when my husband and kids are drinking. We can do this. We just have to be kind to ourselves and and not allow our minds to trick us into anything!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good Morning All! We CAN do this today!

Remember: We know the drinking road and where it leads. Why not take one more step today on the sober road and see where that leads? Be curious!

And ask yourself: "When tomorrow comes, what will I be glad I did today?"
Be honest with yourself and do it.

You've made the commitment to choose sobriety for the next 24 hours. Now honor your promise to yourself. It is only 24 hours and we can do anything an hour at a time too!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Regarding how sobriety helps you notice and appreciate little things: here is a thread all about that topic:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ure-sober.html
Oh, WOW, eternalQ. Thank you for this (and for your usual caring, support)! Good to bookmark as a reminder for when I'm getting too inside my own head.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well big fail for me last night. Apparently Friday is going to be a big problem for me. I may need to consider doing AA on those nights. I've thrown out the remaining beer. I'm worried tonight might be a problem too since my brain will do this little dance about how I've already failed so might as well give it another day.