Notices

Class of September 2013 part 3

Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Anybody else thirsty as hell all the time? I guzzle several large glasses of water and my mouth is still dry. I was expecting this at day 2 but not at day 10.
I've been getting this through the night actually, waking up and downing glasses of water. I also keep waking up in the middle of the night with such a huge craving for food, it's bizarre. Last night I woke up at 3am, had some crisps and chocolate and went back to sleep! Still, as long as it helps me stay sober, at this stage I don't mind!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Grindlow, no I cannot sleep, as I put my head on the pillow all the bad thoughts come in my find and in my stomach. I just made a green tea, hoping it gets better by tonight
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fifth View Post
Hi Grindlow, no I cannot sleep, as I put my head on the pillow all the bad thoughts come in my find and in my stomach. I just made a green tea, hoping it gets better by tonight
I know the feeling so well fifth, I'm sorry you feel like that. Hang on in there buddy, green tea is a good idea, camomile can help a little bit too. You know if you ride it out you'll feel better by tomorrow We're all here for ya
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I passed all my day at home, its safe in here, there is no booze in the house, at 6.45 will be having dinner, after dinner I never get cravings but I'm scared the pain will still be there.

welcome to all new members, I have seen a couple of new names today, very good as we all help each other here.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Anybody else thirsty as hell all the time? I guzzle several large glasses of water and my mouth is still dry. I was expecting this at day 2 but not at day 10.
My thirst seems to hit me in the middle of the night. I wake up with a super dry mouth and have to guzzle water. The other strange side effect of getting sober for me is my craving for sweets. I never really craved them before but now I'm eating ice cream, candy bars and craving more. Strange.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

@Zelda - don't worry about eating, when you where drinking you would have had probably more calories than the biggest ice-cream or candy bar in the world
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I went through this for the first two nights. I would get sweaty and as soon as I tried to go to sleep my heart rate would go up and I would feel like I could not breathe. The anxiety caused a constant stream of bad thoughts to enter my mind. The little I did sleep was populated by weird / bad dreams. On day three it started to get better and I took some generic pain killer / PM to help me sleep for the next few nights. I'm thankful to say that has now passed. It will get better!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
My thirst seems to hit me in the middle of the night. I wake up with a super dry mouth and have to guzzle water.
Maybe see a physician for this condition . Just a thought

Tr
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
My thirst seems to hit me in the middle of the night. I wake up with a super dry mouth and have to guzzle water. The other strange side effect of getting sober for me is my craving for sweets. I never really craved them before but now I'm eating ice cream, candy bars and craving more. Strange.
Yes I am getting the sweet cravings too. I think it must be due to sugars in the alcohol we are no longer getting.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The other strange side effect of getting sober for me is my craving for sweets. I never really craved them before but now I'm eating ice cream, candy bars and craving more. Strange
To ZeldaFan...I think its a natural progression because I substitute 4 Hershey candy bars for my usual 3 beers when I used to drink them at my local store. Same cost but radically differenet effect though lol. I eat them and watcvh the sports events instead of the beers. U R not alone.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I probably eaten more chocolate the last week than in the last 6 months will worry about that later

Fifth thinking of you today stay hydrated and be kind to yourself x
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Love that blk diesal x thank you they really cheer me up #imafinisher

@tallia, glad you're ok, weather turned here in uk hasn't it x

@ fifth, where are you in pain sweetie x

@grindlow, thinking about you and your interview make sure you take your charger with you so can keep in touch! x

Re: thirst, yep thirsty here too think its partly meds but mostly the body recovering...

@ fellow SoberSept gang, hope everyone is ok xx
@all new members welcome aboard this is a fab group of fighters xx
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

@lorelei - mostly my arms and legs are hurting, guess I have lot of alcohol in my system. In 3 days friday, satruday and sunday I drank around 30 pints of beer!!! what a mess!!

@Tallia - thanks for you concern, I'm glad I found this place at least here are people who can understand me
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
It's been so hard. Last night I felt so alone I wanted my glass (bottle) of wine so badly I literally just sat on my couch and cried. I've been back and forth with sobriety so much I'm really afraid I will never get this. I don't like myself and drinking takes all of those feelings away. Today marks a week sober I think and that's huge for me but all I feel is fear. Fear of failure. Fear of facing each day without alcohol and just feeling the feelings I've been stuffing down for so long. Honestly I can't imagine a life without alcohol. I can't believe I am trying this again it never sticks and I end up hating myself even more for adding one more failure to my list. Last time I started drinking again I just resolved to be that person who drinks a little too much for the rest of my life because I was so tired of failing at sobriety. Now here I am trying again. What was I thinking? This is so hard. I hope I make it this time.
Huge hugs E. I feel your pain through your words. Thank you so much for your honesty. I am not far in so I don't have words of wisdom but just know that this group is collectively holding your hand.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You need to flush it out, have you been drinking plenty of water? I know how I feel after drinking, anxious on edge and worthless, don't let it push you towards the drink, if you can ride it out till bedtime you will feel better tmro, you certainly have one of the best reasons for being af x
Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

beautiful Malta

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Diesel, I just wanted to say that all of your posts and encouragement really mean a lot to me and help keep me motivated. Thank you!

Fifth, I think water and sleep really go a long way. Organic fruits and veggies help too. Vitamins. Stretching, walks, hot baths/showers. How are you feeling emotionally today? It made me sad to see you so sad. Hang in there buddy, September isn't over yet.

Uninvited, I too am having crazy thirst! I am probably doing 1-2 gallons of water a day. Ever since I quit drinking I cannot get enough water. I actually posted about it in the Alcoholism forum.

AFM - DAY 14!!!! I can't believe it.

I feel like the day I stopped drinking I stepped into another world. My life has been SO different just over 2 weeks. My liver pain and swelling has disappeared, I have slept like a rock every single night for the first time in years, my depression has lifted, I lost 5lbs and lost all of my bloating (my abs are flat!), I have been incredibly productive, my marriage has been good, I have been fully present for my child, I've made good food choices, I've brushed my teeth and taken vitamins every day for 2 weeks (I seriously would get too drunk to care enough to do this for myself sometimes), and just this morning I woke up and my skin looked so much better than it has in years - clear, smooth, hydrated, and with a healthy look rather than the cadaverous pallor I've had going on for so long. I have to keep this up.

I was thinking last night and this is how I've done it -
Checking in on SR multiple times a day
Thinking about why I want to quit multiple times a day
Urge surfing imagery
Staying very busy with work
Eating regular meals
Drinking tons of water
Thinking ONLY about today and stopping myself when I start fretting about the future
Eating ice cream (which I never did before...saved all of my calories for alcohol)
Taking hot baths and reading to relax at night instead of drinking
Spending time with my animals (unconditional love and happiness)

All of those things got me to 14 days and will hopefully get me to 15.

Love to everyone today.....
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Oh wanted to add, my husband is awesome - called our doc and made an appointment for tomorrow morning to address his stress. He has been so wonderful and supportive of me and understands that taking care of himself is important too....I am so pleased.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

@Renarde - thanks for your concern, emotionally I'm very anxious, feeling down. I'm kind of I can't fOck belive what I did to myself again, all was going so well but seems I was not doing/reading enough and I slipped. Trust me you don't want to go back there again, its hell.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

@Renarde - thanks for your concern, emotionally I'm very anxious, feeling down. I'm kind of I can't fOck belive what I did to myself again, all was going so well but seems I was not doing/reading enough and I slipped. Trust me you don't want to go back there again, its hell.
I relate to boredom being your trigger. I personally feel like I have to re-learn to enjoy things without drinking, and that is tiring and feels boring. It is harder work not to just check-out mentally and emotionally. Have you heard of the term anhedonia? I really experienced that early in quitting - you can even see it in my posts. It can be the lack of really feeling anything, and everything felt dull and weird to me. Not much was interesting. I didn't want to read books, watch movies/TV, play with my kid, sit outside, cook, etc without drinking. How boring! What is reality though IMO is that we have to relearn to experience genuine and real entertainment and enjoyment....what we do while drinking is not enjoyable, in fact we are not really even there.

Just my scattered thoughts.

I'm sorry you feel so low. You did well before and you can do it again, I believe in you.