Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 17

Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Marcher

Well, couldn't find star gazer for kindle, but the ever popular "virtual knee surgery" is available! Why in the world is there an app for THAT?
No offense to orthopaedic surgeons.

Then again, don't you think "virtual cabana boy" would be a nice app addition?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Is it too late to join this group? My sobriety date is 3/28/2013.

Most of the people I came into AA with back then have left/relapsed. There are only 4 of us left. It would be nice to chat with some folks who have around the same amount of time as me.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Never too late Digdug! Welcome!
We will celebrate your very near 6 months!

I'll start. I'm Shoes. I joined in Feb 2013 lurking around but finally got up the courage to join the March class. It's been a heck of a ride. My fellow Marchers are the best people I know.

I like shoes.
I had about 10 years sober, 15 years drunk, now I'm back. Yeah.
I blab a lot so sometimes my post are long.
I wear my heart on my sleeve.
I like to sign off with xoxo's
I have a weird sense of humor.
I used to have a very bad problem with being really hard on myself.
My Marcher friends cured me of that.
I like vintage junk.
I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Long story.
My Mom just recently passed away from Alzheimer's and I help look after my Dad.
There were a few times I wanted to drink over that but I didn't.
Marchers helped me with that too.
I love that I don't drink anymore.
I don't really have a defined program. I'm pretty sure I'm a hybrid.
I'm a Buddhist.
Once in awhile I have a thought pop in my head to have a drink but not often.
I'm lucky that way.
I like bananas. I give them as gifts. Expect one on your 6 month sober birthday.

Anyway, that's my story short version.

Catch us up on you if you are up to it.
Glad to have you in the group.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Awesome. Thanks for the warm welcome!

- Joined in May after 7 days in the hospital and 30 days in rehab.

- I'm a late bloomer when it comes to alcohol. Hated it when I was younger. Stuck to drugs until age 25. Sober until 28, and then liquor until 6 months ago.

- Only drank hard for 3 years, but I'm known to do things pedal to the metal.

- I am very active in AA but I don't believe in god. My higher power gives me crap about that all the time.

- I have serious anxiety and panic attack issues. But new meds are helping.

- I have no obsession to drink and have had no close calls but my alcoholic voice still mumbles every now and again. I haven't figured out how to punch it without giving myself a bloody nose.

- I had a dog but she had to be put down 3 weeks ago. She was 15 and ready to go but I miss her.

- I have a tendency to isolate so I get sad when I make an effort to make new friends in the program and then they relapse.

- I really hate bananas. Worst fruit ever. Grapes are a close second.

- I quit smoking in July using an e-cig.

- I haven't lied in 6 months.

- I am single (ex broke up with me when I was in the hospital), but I am doing the no new relationships thing for a year at the suggestion of my sponsor.

- I hate shoes but I have 12 pairs

- I am grateful to be here among the Marchers.

- I really like helping people because so many people helped me along the way.

- I saved a helped guy's life last month. He had a seizure on the sidewalk and hit his head bad. Stayed with him until the paramedics came.

- I am up past my bedtime so my phone is yelling at me. Yes, I downloaded an app that yells at me if I stay up to late or don't wake up on time. Tough love!

Until tomorrow!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
Is it too late to join this group? My sobriety date is 3/28/2013.
Welcome digdug! We call ourselves the Marchers, it's nice to have you join us.

I'm from Australia, I ditched the booze in March. I'd been drinking too much wine for too long, it was affecting my health mentally and physically. I can't believe how much my health has improved and continues to improve and as for my brain -- it's truly amazing. I don't think I've missed a day checking in with these wonderful Marchers, between them and Dee I got the guts to completely change my attitude to alcohol.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Digdug, welcome to the Marchers
I won't bore you about me, thanks for telling a little about yourself, thank goodness you have as ensemble of humour, you will need it here! Our favourite form of therapy is humour.

Shoes, how did things go with telling your dad?

Marcher, well done on not drinking, it's those little moments which can be the hardest to ignore or the easiest to give in to!

LP, so you didn't tap, you also didn't drink. Count your successes. Well done for putting yourself and your sobriety first, as Black said, the first weeks are the hardest. I hope Shoes situation isn't bringing back hard memories for you.

Joy, I too love vast panoramas. They remind me than I am a very small cog in a very big machine, but even the smallest cog is vital to the smooth running of all parts.

Wehave, thank you for your kind words, and LP I'm not sure how strong it is to blinker oneself, but I need to do this for now. Until I know anything for sure I am focusing on the future I believed.
We were sitting at to he kitchen table last night enjoying the last rays of an Indian summers day, watching the last yatchts coming back to harbour, and three tugs heading out to an oil rig which looks to be getting ready to head down the Tay on the next high tide. I looked at hubby and said " I guess there are worse places to have to be stuck staying!" I will be incredibly disappointed if we don't get to move, but I know I will get over it and count my blessings.

Sass, 1day I hope all is well with you.
Happy Montuesday everyone
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Welcome, DigDug! We always have room for one more (or more than one....). I won't give you my big list because it's way too long at my age (grin). The short version is that previously (approximately, depending on the day and my memory) I drank for about 5 years, stopped for around 8, drank for about 2, stopped for about 15, drank for about 8, stopped for 11, drank for 2 and stopped 5 months ago this week. That's very roughly. Not all were heavy drinking but definitely alcoholic. My body is too old for this this so this needs to be the last time since I want to preserve at least a couple of unpickled brain cells.

i appreciate your giving us a little more introduction than we usually see. I sure do "get" anxiety! IMHO, instead of trying to punch that darned AV, you might want to try ignoring it-- my current method is to quickly put up an impenetrable shield in my head between my active brain and the AV's siren song. So sorry to hear about your dog.

Shoes, the star gazer app sounds lovely. I have forgotten most of what I once knew about the night sky! How are you doing today? Love the tattooed banana :-)

Toots, I know how difficult the waiting can be and think you are doing so well in the way you are handling it. (((hugs))). I'm still hoping to see you here!

Joy, i think I'd rather have the "real" version of a "virtual" cabana boy - much more fun! Virtual knee surgery is probably intended for those surgeons who need serious remedial help in how to perform knee surgery, lol! There should be an app that tells us which surgeons have needed to reference that app! I also detest autocorrect!

Ken, your friend sounds like one tough lady. My prayers will be with her as she goes through recovery. She is very lucky to have you for a friend!

Marcher, it's so lovely to be able to count on waking up to your todaytomorrow greetings :-).

And to our very favorite heilan coo, like the new avatar but the coo is my favorite

As for me, I'm doing well. Work plus retirement planning (a little late!) are going well except that things have gotten so much more expensive that what I thought was going to be enough is likely to be sketchy. Oh well, such is life! My feline companion has perked up a great deal on the meds the vet gave her so I'm hoping she'll be ok for a few more years with luck - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy Monday to all!

(((hugs))),
Sassy, Sassier, Sassiest
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning, ya'll! And welcome Digdug!

First of all, thanks Sassy for the superlatives this morning. Do we all have to use them?
And wouldn't we all want the real cabana boys? I'm sure it won't be long before we can order one of those guys up online and have the magic that is Amazon deliver it overnight. Could you wait that long? IDK...

Toots, you are by no means boring! (That reminds me, I'll get the joke in soon for you.)
I remember a while back you were telling us about the tugs/oil rigs on the Tay and you showed us a pic. That was very cool.

Shoes, I love your recap. It draws quite a descriptive picture of your personality! And reminds me why I love you so darn much!

Digdug, I joined here a month after I cleaned myself up from pain meds and xanax. Also, I don't drink. Everyone here is greatly supportive, although I never learned the secret handshake. Oh, yes I did. Buddink taught it to me a few weeks ago.

Sooo, I only slept a few hours last night and woke up with such a start! I hate those restless nights. I may have to nap today, which I haven't done since spring. Or I can just hang around here, wash laundry, and do a little yoga. Oh, and I can read since I have a new book on my stupid kindle that won't charge right and doesn't get the star gazer app.
I'm grouchy and I'm angry with a friend, bless her heart, who won't return my call!
I think I'll start with just breathing for now, and strong coffee.
Happy happy Monday Marchers!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Marcher

Digdug! I love that you're currently reading the Bed Bath and Beyond mailer! I also love my Dean and Deluca, Eddie Bauer catalogs and Coastal Living.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

HI Marchers, and good morning Tuesday! Yep 1am and i'm awake, aargh. Well, it's kind of my own fault. Since I slept the whole of the weekend I was awake from 3 am yesterday morning. Last night, I should have toughed it out but after dinner, I was so exhausted I decided to go and lie in bed and just read, this was at 7.30pm. Of course the inevitable happened.......sound asleep by 8pm and now, wide awake, aarrgghh. I'm only just into my third week so I suppose i'll just need to grin and bare this whole irregular sleep pattern for a wee while longer, hopefully not too much longer

I finally dragged myself out my bed this morning and went for an early morning jog/walk. Was def more walk than jog, once again another alcohol battering binge has left my poor body feeling like an 80 year old.............why oh why oh why. OH well, hopefully in another few weeks i'll be happily reporting to you all an increase in fitness levels.

Toots, my finger toes and eyes are all crossed for you that this will all work out, but I do like you're attitude if it doesn't........it is a boney wee country after all. Toots I of course would be a liar if I said that Shoes situation hasn't affected me somewhat, it's only just three and a half months since I was going through the same pain. Unfortunately, it's part of life and something we all have to go through at one point or another. For now my thoughts are with Shoes.

Shoes, how are you lovely. Thinking of you always, hope you're getting enough support and sleep through all of this. Loved the recap for digdud...........sums you up to a tee and brought back some funny memories.

Marcher, well done on staying strong and not giving in to the AV. I think that sharing a bottle of wine with a girlfriend as we catch for an alfresco lunch this Summer is def one of things i'm going to miss the most. I have to just remind myself of the dehydrating headaches, the hole in the wallet and the fact that those lunches usually end with me going home and passing out from the extra bottle of wine I consumed once home and behind closed doors.......and waking up once again with regret and hazy memory.

Digdug, welcome. I won't do the whole run down of me other than i'm Lifetplant, otherwise known as "Life" or 'Heilan Coo". I'm a native Scot living in Oz so get my daily little tasters from home from Toots. I like to fiddle (violin) and tap dance. Neither of which i'm particularly good at but i'm told God loves a trier. Talking about a trier.......as you've no doubt surmised, I have been sober the least, definitely the weakest link here between the Marchers but they keep me going and keep me wanting to keep on fighting. We've also another thread in the Cafe where you might want to pop in and have a coffee and a chat when you just want to chill and discuss anything generally not particularly alcohol or drug related. Word of warning though, it can get a little rowdy there sometimes.

Sass for you sweetie..........the coo is back.

I'm off to read my book and try and get a few more hours sleep.

Later folks x
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Thanks, LifeT! I love my daily quota of adorable heilan coo :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm going to have to go back and catch up on some of the goings on in your lives. Just not all 17 threads lol.

I'll definitely check out the other Cafe thread. If I had a middle name (and I don't), it might be Rowdy. But then I'd sound like a professional wrestler.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Shoes, how you doing today, sweetie? Hope yor day with dad is going well as the circumstances allow. Big hugs coming your way.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Digdug, welcome to the marchers!! I quit (again) in February but they allow me to hang out here. Marchers are cool like that.

I'm a big fan of humor too. Learning to get through the days without booze, but can't live without funny! I'm also prone to long posts or posts that appear to be unedited be wise, well, they aren't edited. Because sometimes I just have to commit and post before I rethink and tidy up any of that messy emotional stuff. You know, that stuff that has to come out lest I drink over it. So I apologize in advance for that.

Have a great day folks, Lucy break is over so I better get back to it .
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

WeHav, happy you post without rethinking and tidying up,girrrrl! Unedited posts are best, IMHO!

Toots, you are being just a wee bit scarce. I know it's a tough time for you but please know that we are here for you and I know that you will get through this,too.

Why DigDug, I expected you would have memorized all those many, many posts, lol! Glad to see that we didn't scare you off so far

Shoes, I've been thinking of you and hope you're ok. I know this is a very hard time. I lost one parent and then 4 years later lost the other. Very different circumstances but no less difficult. It is life but that doesn't make it any easier for each of us. I hope that eventually the path you chose in being involved in your parents' later years will give you some amount of comfort. (((hugs)))
Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers.

Digdug, welcome to the group! It'll be nice having another guy here. All these women can be intimidating LOL.

Uneventful weekend here, pretty much watched tv for all of it. Needed a break from everything, so my anti-social mode kicked in.

Went to mandatory counseling this morning, this was session #4 and so far all I've learned is Alcohol is Bad! I'm really trying to take something out of this but 12 year old studies and a counselor who doesn't seem to organized just aint workin for me. Only 8 more to go!

Heard from Captain Shortstick today, he said the cabana boy damage is almost repaired and is planning a short trip for Halloween to the Caribbean, land of whodo and ****** and all other types of s**t.

Hope you all are having a great day!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hi guys
Shoes, I know you have a lot on just now with so much to organise but I hope you get time to read our posts and know you are in our thoughts and in our hearts.

Sassy, Sassier, Sassiest, thank you for keeping an eye out for me, I am trying ultra hard to keep focused and keep positive, but with this big cloud of uncertainty hanging around, it is difficult sometimes to want to post. It also seems somewhat shallow and trivial, with all Shoes is going through. I'm glad your cat has a new lease of life!

Budd, hubby and I had a similar weekend of doing nothing much, sometimes you need time alone to recharge the old batteries. I am so glad captain Shortstick has the ol bucket almost seaworthy, I will get Joy detailed to seek out our next batch of cabana boys! ****** eh? Gimme some of that love potion number nine!!!

Marcher, good morrow to you!

LP, lounging in bed all weekend I can just about forgive, but that hair??? I think you need a trim, or at least a good curry comb 😃

DD, forever more known to me as Rowdy, you don't need to worry, we are about to go onto a new thread, so it will do a round up of the previous thread, as none of us have the brain cells we started with!

Wehave, it is so much better to be unedited, everything comes from the heart, and is honest.

Joygirl, are you psychic? We have not had an oil rig since that last one moved out, then another appeared just this weekend, and today o took a photo of it coming up the Tay! Spooky!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

So, for Joy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome digdug

time for a new thread guys