SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2013 Part 4 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/305819-class-august-2013-part-4-a.html)

foolsgold66 08-31-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mentium (Post 4152883)
Just home after my fouth AA meeting in a week - at the end of my first week sober. The first few days were horrible, but the worst seems to be over.

I hardly agree with anything I hear at AA. I'm an atheist and well educated in psychology and know a fair amount about psychiatry too. Not to be big headed or anything, but AA really does fly in the face of a lot of well established knowledge these days. It is after all based on writing done in 1939.

..and yet I don't think I have come across a more powerful weapon against drinking - for me anyway. The company of a group of people who know exactly what you have gone through and the pitfalls and difficulties involved is invaluable.

I shall keep going.

One week!

Congrats on your week. I felt the same way you do about AA, but I wasn't able to cherry-pick the parts I wanted successfully. Some folks can. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do this time around.

bblackbirdflyy 08-31-2013 03:32 PM

pizza is as bad as beer. can't just have one slice. I'll have the whole damn thing!I have the McRalphs. :GrossL: Oh well. I'm at work till 1am. then two much needed days off.

Elsewhere, I hope you get to feeling better! happy day one

Welcome all new and returning.

M- Stay in that tub! No beer for you!

Dee74 08-31-2013 03:59 PM

Welcome to the Daily Support Forum guys :a122:

D

Viperidae 08-31-2013 04:41 PM

Grocery stores are close to Hell. That is all. I'm in line. But at least I didn't give up today.

Dee74 08-31-2013 04:43 PM

It made me glad my stores here are not allowed to sell alcohol, that's for sure.

Stay strong Johnny.

D

Raider 08-31-2013 06:05 PM

Can I have 24 hours please. This will add to the 21 hours I have now.

Viperidae 08-31-2013 06:52 PM

No booze in CT grocery stores.

I get really indecisive and spaced out in the grocery store. The fluorescent lighting messes with my head. One open register. Then when an old man argues about the price of a can of soup for 3 minutes and then another 2 minutes about his stupid gas points my blood starts to boil.

I had a major rage attack when I got home. Out of control. Ugghh. I took my meds that the Psych gave me for when I get out of control anxiety or rage. I can take it before this happens. It will keep me calm and prevent cravings.

So I did not drive to the bar after all that. See how I feel tomorrow.

bblackbirdflyy 08-31-2013 07:12 PM

Hope tomorrow is better johnny! The store can be frustrating and I despise fluorescent lights too.

I'm bored at work. Ugh. 5 more hours to go. Just need to stay away from the liquor closet. I suspect my coworker is tying one on. I spose he learned that from me. Whoops. I'm sitting way upstairs away from the party I'm to be "supervising" this job is such a crock sometimes. It's hot up here.

I can't WAIT to spend the morning in bed tomorrow! Speaking of plans I have that one all worked out! When I get home I'm going to hit the sack and lazy it up until noon! Then perhaps I'll snooze for another hour. After that maybe a bath and a nap!

What? I worked 12 days in a row! The world owes me a slack day! Hmmm the world owes me is wrong... I owe me! That's better!

Whatchall up to?

SeanMc 08-31-2013 08:38 PM

Hi folks, I'm okay on a fourth week for me. Best, Sean

ZoeM 08-31-2013 09:09 PM

YAY! we've graduated - feels like leaving school being in this section :)
Day 24 begins and all's good. Had a lovely long sleep and not such a grumpy knickaz this morning. Toothache leaving me alone for now :)

PS Just realised, this time next week, I'll have done a whole MONTH! Me? wow!

ZoeM 08-31-2013 10:42 PM

The sleepy, snoozy fairy has come visiting so I'm off back to bed :) See you all later in the day X

foolsgold66 08-31-2013 11:34 PM

Good night Zoe. I'm off to bed too, thus concluding day 5.

Kys 09-01-2013 12:16 AM

Well done everyone!

I didn't have the month I would have liked. Thought I'd get some empowerment by stating I'm not drinking on the weekend to some people when out. I drank though.

Think I need to be comfortable in leaving behind some people who bring on negative emotions for me.

So, not sure if I stay here, join September, both??? I've loved reading your posts and have thought about you guys a lot.

Dee74 09-01-2013 12:23 AM

post where you like Kys...post in both if you want.

Telling people can be good, but only really if you follow through with it...I told lots of people...again and again...

what about thinking about a real tangible plan for September Kys? :dunno:

D

ZoeM 09-01-2013 01:33 AM

Stay with us too Kys :)

Kys 09-01-2013 02:40 AM

Thanks guys, and I'm definitely sticking around.

Dee, that's great advise, and I will.

I need to remove myself from a few social things in the shorter term at least, ones where there's drinking involved. People will just have to understand, and over these next few weeks at least, I need to put myself first.

EternalQ 09-01-2013 02:41 AM

Hi everyone,
Glad to see so many of you are stil here!

Especially because sobriety is such a longterm investment. That means you have to ride the ups and downs and keep investing and trust that you are generally headed in an upward direction. Even if it feels like a zig zag, your safety net is growing.

As long as you don't drink.

Thats the key. Don't panic and drink. You can wait your anxiety out and every time you do, you add more courage, strength and experience to have on hand the next time you have thoughts to drink. Pretty soon your AV will see you're no longer an easy mark.

So proud of you all for still being here and hoping you are proud of yourselves too.

merchantsun 09-01-2013 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kys (Post 4153650)
Thanks guys, and I'm definitely sticking around.

Dee, that's great advise, and I will.

I need to remove myself from a few social things in the shorter term at least, ones where there's drinking involved. People will just have to understand, and over these next few weeks at least, I need to put myself first.

This is so true!! You definitely need to do what's best for YOU, especially in the early days. I have been able to identify the people & environments that I need to avoid. It has been really helpful & I don't think I could have been able to see that if I wasn't sober. Whether or not the people you used to drink with understand, you are making the right decision in taking a break from them. You can do this, Kys!!

Elseware 09-01-2013 06:39 AM

Day 2 of the no Vicodin just starting. 6:30 AM. I was able to sleep and didn't have the sweats. Yesterday was very, very, bad. (understatement) I mean i was sick physically. But I didn't crave pills. Or booze. Just wanted my body to stop cracking apart. Took two hot baths. And ate comfort foods. Meaning bland carbohydrates. Food stayed down. Which was a very good thing! I needed to eat. I don't think I would have been able to do this without your help. So far today, I just have a little headache and I don't feel frantic or depressed. Hurray! Thanks so much. All of you keep on keeping on! Really I can't thanks you enough.

ZoeM 09-01-2013 08:28 AM

Elseware - I am SO thrilled for you that it's turning out to be not as bad as you thought :) You are doing brilliantly!! :c011: