Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 4

Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Zoe! Hang in there, Elseware--this first part is going to pass and you'll come out feeling stronger on the other side. I love your posts!

Day 12 today. I made it halfway through day 15 earlier this month, then had to start over, so my immediate goal is to get past that point this time.

I went to Target today for a couple of things and realized after I'd left the store that I never thought 'not' to walk by the wine aisle, I just hadn't even thought about it. The cravings or romanticizing the glass of pinot still come and go, but it did feel good just for once to be in such a different mindset that I didn't have to consider 'not' drinking, if you know what I mean. When I do get nostalgic for the wine, it's helped me to think about what Dee said awhile back how he was never 'that glass of Chardonnay by the pool on a hot summer day' or something like that. That is very true for me. One sip pretty much determines that I'll drink the whole bottle, and then I'll forget all about the 'pool' or whatever else activity I'm doing to instead just focus on drowning myself in the wine. Ick. Not a way to live.

Going to a colleague's for dinner tonight. Going to pick up some individual cans of some kind of flavored water or something. These are all normal drinkers and I doubt they'll pressure me to drink. But if they do, I'm going to use Elseware's tips!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

On my way home. Mega urges earlier. Made it thru. Drinking buddy was even texting and would pay. Said no way. Went to grocery store walked around like a zombie for 35 minutes. Left with nothing. In Boston market parking lot with take out. Post later. Gotta make it home. I will. Post then
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Johnny555. Been thinking 'bout you. Good to see your post. I'll watch for you later tonight
Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick with it Johnny.

D
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Cool

Happy BDay Zoe! For a new ice cream flavor, try Haagen Daz pineapple coconut....so yummy.
Day 10 here and was thinking about wine all day but.....I kept busy and said no way. Feeling so much better than the first 6 days, but still really tired (not sleeping at night).
Everyone has noticed a difference in me (including myself!) I'm positive and smiling, not depressed and feeling sick. To think all these years I poisoned my body with wine excusing it as a reward when all it did was make me sick and depressed.
Everyone have a safe holiday w/end thanks for everyone's support!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Dear Zoe, I just ate a pint of rocky road ice cream while huddled up in bed. Now I think I might blow up.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thought Elseware. Much appreciated dude.

Hi I made it. Toughie. I was under my comforter until 12 noon sweating. It was like sweating out a fever or something. Must be detox from my binge. Finishing day 3. Day 3-6 are usually the worst then I could start to feel a lot better.

At 5pm I started getting that crazy urge running through my whole body. Anyway, I got through it. I had a close encounter with a deer today. Their is a fairly tame deer that lives in my dad's woods and she came out in the yard this afternoon. I went out and managed to get 5 feet away and talked to her. I need to keep some apples over there or something. I think she is waiting for me to give her a treat.

I took 2 days off of the Zoloft and it seems like I feel good because it kicked in and is still working, but I'm not experiencing side effects because I stopped it. Side effects for an SSRI usually go away very fast, but the heightened serotonin lasts for a bit (kind of). I may try it at night for a week as discussed with the psych, Dr. J.

Florida trip seems to be getting locked in. I'll keep in touch with internet in the hotel rooms during the trip, besides I always have my iphone.

So see I'll see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow.

--J
Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wow, - I am SO very very touched by all your bday greetings and wishes - I'm speechless (which if you look at my post count, is not like me)
Thanks to you ALL, I got through - SOBER! First time in 20+ years on a bday. It was 'iffy' at times, but reading and posting and lots of hot chocolate and baths and here I am, 2.30am and it's behind me
I honestly can never thank you all enough!!
Lots and lots of love from me xxxxxxxxx
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Elseware - hang in there - you CAN do this x
Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
At least I kept to my taper schedule. Could be a LOT worse. I have to remember that and be grateful and nice to myself for doing that.
Hope your doing ok. You can and will get through this. This is the hardest part right here. We are all here for you and post as much as you like. No one minds a single bit. That's why we are here to help each other and be there when people need to talk.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Johnny555, I'm glad you are doing better. Keep it up! Did you ever try taking your Zoloft early in the morning? And taking it exactly the same time everyday? Just a thought. (I am NOT a psychiatrist, BTW) I know it has some difficult side effects and only you can know. I hope you have a good, sober time in Florida. Tomorrow will be my first drug and alcohol free day since I can't remember when. Lets keep our fingers crossed for each other!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Happy B-day Zoe and A Sober one!

Elseware, I was taking it in the morning for a week and it was knocking me out, so I am going to try at night. I need to make it 6 months off Prozac because it will work well again for a long while after a 6 month break. I have one month off it. (or something)

Else- Good luck with the end of taking the pills. I don't know what your taper was, but I get the impression it was done slowly and clinically. I think if you tapered to this point and feel ok that you can make it just fine. The thought of having nothing must be kind of scary. You can do it. Maybe think of supplementing it with some 5htp to chill you out a bit, you can get it cheap. Look it up. Ask your doc.

But I am not an expert on opiates. I know Benzo's well. Like I said previously I was taking 3-4mg Klonapin and drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a day in April when I joined here. Plus weed and cigarettes.

BTW- Do not go to Boston Market, my stomach is killing me.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Johnny555, Forgot to say: I like deer, too. Except for when they eat my hollyhocks!! I love to see them out in the woods. So beautiful. Your encounter was a little bit of magic in your life. Something to cherish.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks Johnny It's thankfully over with for another year and was a sober one - albeit a 'clinging by the fingernails' one at times. Not dropping my guard though - have made that mistake before
Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yeah Elseware, bigtime with the wildlife. My goal is to get back to Africa. I can't describe having a lion walk up and check you out, or an elephant, a baboon. Very very cool. Utterly life altering. That's all I want to do. I'll get there. I'll volunteer for room and board just to be out there. In 6 months maybe?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good day folks, I'm still detoxed at the end of week three, a big thanks to SR.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

SeanMc, That is wonderful! I hope I can say the same in 3 weeks!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Saying goodnight. Today marks two weeks. I haven't been this sober for 2 years. I feel like a giant weight has been lifted. I'm actually happy that's weird but good. The absolute ultimate best Ice cream ever made has to ne Ben and jerry oatmeal cookie crunch. If you can find it you MUST try it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Dang! You ice cream fiends!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations BBF and SeanMc

D