Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 4

Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh! What a lucky craving! I'm sure it's not alcohol specific, though, so it's totally fine to share I have a friend who was supposed to meet her family at the exact site and time of the Boston Marathon bombing last year but she had a hankering for ice cream after she finished running and asked them to meet her elsewhere. Funny how the universe works, isn't it? I guess it's just not time for some of us when that stuff happens.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Weird, wild stuff, ZoeM. My family is littered with drunks and drug addicts, too, Linnie
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Thanks Elseware and Linnie - it was a childhood, regardless, I wouldn't swop for a second Thank you x
Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
Oh my gosh! What a lucky craving! I'm sure it's not alcohol specific, though, so it's totally fine to share I have a friend who was supposed to meet her family at the exact site and time of the Boston Marathon bombing last year but she had a hankering for ice cream after she finished running and asked them to meet her elsewhere. Funny how the universe works, isn't it? I guess it's just not time for some of us when that stuff happens.
It sure is Linnie and thanks for replying Uncle Sean seriously never drank -0 just wasn't interested, so aunt stopped the car more out of shock then anything. Very weird. I really shouldn't be alive today
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elseware View Post
Weird, wild stuff, ZoeM. My family is littered with drunks and drug addicts, too, Linnie
Elseware - we didn't have a lot of drunks in the family (strange with them all being irish (on mums side) and Scottish (on ex-military cop dads side) .. however...dads sister became a nurse (she was the eldest of 7) and should NEVER have got into kiddies nursing! she was too 'soft'... 10 yrs on, she was still living with gran and granddad - granddad came in from gardening... had a heart attack (naturally she did all she could - even the paramedics said so) BUT...she hit the whiskey... killed herself when I was 17.
I ALWAYS vowed I would never touch alcohol - dad has a pub for 10 yrs when I as 19 and it revolted me to see the stuff.
I got to 35 and .... well ya know the rest
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

ZoeM, it is amazing to me that you got thru your teens and twenties. I loved the stuff from my first tastes as a little kid! Life is so different for everyone!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
LOL I must put my reading glasses on before I sign in lol - I read that as
'I know the MODS feel wild' and i'm thinking wtf??
glasses
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Blah. I am so blah. Blah.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

You're not blah 66. I like you.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Blah. I am so blah. Blah.
Me too, foolsgold. Driving home from work today, the thought popped into my head that maybe I should just buy a bottle of wine. I don't even feel like drinking, but it's such a habit to think that wine will 'fix' anything. So glad I didn't.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

No, I feel blah. The things I'm interested in I can't do, and the things I can do don't interest me. Blah.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
No, I feel blah. The things I'm interested in I can't do, and the things I can do don't interest me. Blah.
Yesterday I made a long list of things I need to get done in the next couple weeks. Today I did not do even one of those things. Urgh. Felt no motivation. Just really stuck.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi folks, I'm still on the level in my fourth week. Best, Sean
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I'm having issues :-( My step-sister is getting married this weekend and there will definitely be a lot of drinking going on. My stepmom got a room for me at the hotel. My dad said he is going to bring a bottle of wine I bought for him last Christmas so we can share it.

I am so torn. I know I shouldn't drink, but I am really tempted (special occasion, don't see my dad often, etc).
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by merchantsun View Post
My dad said he is going to bring a bottle of wine I bought for him last Christmas so we can share it. I am so torn. I know I shouldn't drink, but I am really tempted (special occasion, don't see my dad often, etc).
Hi Merchantsun. You can still enjoy your dad's company without the wine. I know it's probably extra hard because it's a 'special' bottle from Christmas. But still. You're on day 17 today. That's a lot of days! Do you really want to go back to day 1? One weekend of drinking is not worth starting over. And what if that one bottle leads to more and it turns out that you don't end up enjoying your dad's company because you drink too much or get too focused on the wine (I don't know your history, but I'm pretty certain that is what would happen to me).

Thinking of you, cyber-friend. Keep us updated. You can do this!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Merchantsun, If you need to go to this (you really don't, nobody is going to hold a gun to your head). Go to the ceremony, make a brief appearance at the reception and go home, no room, no special bottle of wine, none of that. Period. End of discussion.

I can't speak for you, but for ME this would be a setup for disaster. A wedding full of party-ers who are apparently unaware that you are sober. Open bar. A hotel room you can slither to no matter what state you are in, and a special bottle of wine?

You'd have to be the Arnold Swarzenegger of sobriety to withstand that. I hope you are. I'd straight up blow it off. 17 days is a lot. I want to see you succeed. Take it from the king of screw ups. I'd start talking myself into the 'fact' that I could just have that one glass of wine with dad from day one, knowing that it would become 14 glasses.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sobriety's not easy merchantsun - it can mean some really tough choices.

It can also mean the difference between staying on the path you are now, or weeks, months or even years of more of the same.

I went out one night for a special occasion - what would be the harm right? start again tomorrow...

I didn't stop drinking again for over 2 years.

D
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Me I'm working on more sobriety. As staggered and interrupted as it's been. Talked to the shrink, there are not a lot of options for antidepressants. Pristiq was brought up. Great drug, but if you miss a dose, immediate horrible withdrawals. At least prozac I can miss 2 weeks and not notice, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices and I need to try a couple more.

Watching more Dexter, it's a bit tense as his sister is in trouble.

I feel like a new man today after standing up to my father. A weight has been lifted. I think he was impressed that I came right at him 'like a man.' That kind of thing was always important to him given his Marine Corps and all that crap. Anyway, regardless, he obviously got beat up by what I said, black eyes and all. I went right for the jugular. I have never done that, ever. I guess a lot of pent up pain and frustration and a degree in Rhetoric can add up to a verbal ass-kicking.

Anywho, it's over and there is a better relationship because of it. Now I just need to do for me. The dragon is dead. I have no more reason to waste energy on that. Just energy on making myself better.

Thanks all.

j-dawg
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you feel a little better about yourself today Johnny

D
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Just a the opinion of a drunk screw up:

Merchant, Dee has a really good point. Before all this madness with my meds and depression I had 30 days. I decided one social occasion that I could have 2 or 3 and I drank for 2 years too. I was feeling fantastic. Now I can't get feeling well, and it is 20 times harder to quit.

I said recently when I get into a grove...you're either on board, or I throw your butt overboard. If there are sharks in the water, too bad. It's a war.

During my sober month in April and I blew off a good friend's wedding in this ridiculous luxury ballroom in Downtown 2 blocks from me. Absurd food and only the finest wines. I canceled 3 days beforehand via text.