Notices

Class of February 2013 Part 9

Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Just looked - 222 days today I get a kick out of number align like that
333 - here we come!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better V - sending good thoughts and energy your way. Sleep well! Maybe try for a half week?

Fantail - thought better of my response. Want to highlight that I'm confidently that there is a sober, healthy life giving community that matches you perfectly. It's such a strong belief that I didn't mention it explicitly.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi all

Curious at 6 months into this journey if there are particular books or resources that have helped you - (doing lots of travel means I've had a chance to read)

Particularly useful for me was
1. David Allen's - 2nd GTD book - making it all work. - not recovery related, but great tool to help me reduce life's stresses by better staying in control
2. 7 habits of highly successful people - more frameworks on how to think about life.

Power of now was helpful, but it could have been a 1 hour lecture - not 8!

I can't seem to get into recovery books - they my attention span hasn't recovered beyond a business persin's yet
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

back from the uk, jealous that serene is still there traveling more than I had a chance to! ;-)

happy to say I got to 6 months last week. that was nice. and stayed sober the next day when I was at a wedding full of people I didn't know who kept offering me drinks.

it helped that my partner was there. but it was really tough when she wanted to drink more than her usual onet. my previous sober record was like 6 months and 2 or 3 days, so I've been a bit anxious about my sobriety lately. my partner wanted to leave the car at the wedding site, have another drink, and get a taxi home. she got mad at me when I said I didn't like the taxi idea. I don't get cravings often now, but i do still get them and being in that boozealicious environment when I've been anxious lately was triggering cravings. the idea of my partner get a little tipsy was really tough on me. she was mad because it was her nephew's wedding, she'd been taking care of her parents for 2 weeks and she wanted to cut loose a little. but when i figured out how to explain how i was feeling, she was actually really cool about it and didn't get that extra drink.

it taught me that even though we are both emotional and disagree, we are getting better at talking about what is going on in our heads. and that is helping a lot in understanding each other better. we had a wonderful vacation.

it also feels like this time around, at this 6 month mark instead of feeling like "okay, now what?" like i have before and then ended up drinking, i'm feeling like, "okay, what's the next step in this adventure?" it's pretty cool.

okay, that was total stream of consciousness! thanks for putting up with my ramblings. have a wonderful, sober night everyone!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Hi liss - a retreat sounds lovely, and a worthwhile use of your time. Sounds like you have a lot of awareness of the underlying factors, which is huge.

Taking it to the next level - sounds like an opportunity to not take the reactive bait that starts up the cycle, and if not this time, the next time.

MV - hope your doing well - thinking of you.

V - glad to hear you're on the mend. Are you able to get out of the house yet?

Hi 1step &dee!

Fantail - Really good insight into your needs that will help you stay sober - a real life sober community. (And also why your slip happened in the environment that it did)

Like dating, it takes a bit of trial and error to get a community that fits - until then keep trying and setting expectations low helps (to keep disappointment from creeping in) - sounds like you're already doing that so just wanted to summarize with an added "keep the path!"

Also, I would guess that a meeting with platitudes indicates the absence of a strong bond in that particular group - like Mel mentioned, the group dynamics can add a huge variable. Probably says more about that group - less about the org.

FOr what it's worth, my sister loves her AA friends - she is in her early 30s and they do a lot of activities outside of meetings, but AA was a great way to meet initially.

-----

I'm just getting back from cornwall - fabulous time hiking along the coast and eating pasties and clodded creme and lots of veggies. Sea air and good sleep - feeling rejuvenated.

Have decided to point the lens of focus on 'cravings'. I thought I was doing well bc I wasn't having alcohol or smoking cravings, but realize that I have the "gift" of being able to transfer cravings - which is how I deal with anxiety. So I still crave something regularly and would rather not be so reactive.

A big source of this anxiety is having to choose between 2 things - basically prioritize, and the I'm not happy with either choice because I want "both". So I'm working on intentionality, mindfulness, and being happy with th choices I make - basic life skills.

Think ill have a huge amount of work to do here that will last for a long time, but excited that I am starting to feel like I'm getting at the problem - not just working on symptoms
Wow thanks serene means a lot xxx
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Congratulations lovely wehav!!!! 6 months down, so cool

And Ms Serene, do you realise that you hit 7 months 2 weeks ago????
The 17th, I believe??? Very very awesome.

With regards to books...I love crime fiction, am not so keen on slef-realisation type stuff...
It may sound weird, but when I get into a good book by a fav author like Lee Child, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, Or Robert Crais, the characters and their journeys become mine as well. I live with these protagonists as I read, and I miss them terribly when I finish the book.

When I was drinking, I lost this love, this connection.
Having it back now is the most precious gift imaginable.

I have always been a writer.
And now I am inspired once again.
Poems are forming in my mind, itching to be written down.
It's so exciting for me; all I ever wanted to do was to write and to help people.

The course starts in two weeks, and there is no reason why all of my dreams can't come true now.

Love to everyone,

Venus xx
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you like Mark Billingham and Ian Rankin Venus?

D
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Like Ian Rankin, but don't know Mark Billingham.....hmmmm
A googling I go

V xx
Old 08-28-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

not a million miles away from each other....

D
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hmmm...tired brain thought that might be a book title?
But now I think maybe it means something else LOL.
Silly Venus!!!

I now have Mark Billingham saved in my favs, and am going to dl some of his books!!
Thank you lovely Dee!!! ♥♥♥

V xx
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rankin and Billingham are similar in some ways lol

D
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Too funny.
How obtuse can I be sometimes????
Glad that Rusty taught me Rule 62.
(which for any of you who want to know, means don't take yourself too seriously).

Love to everyone....

V xx
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Welcome home WeHav - Congrats on moving beyond your personal best AND with a challenge. 'Next Step' has been helpful for me to stay the course too!

V - how exciting! What day does class start? I can totally picture you reading crime fictions now Wonderful news that your brain is firing in a creative way again. Regaining has been huge for me as well.

Yes, I guess it has been 7+ months - true it is the 17th. I've lost track of the time with traveling!

Hi liss - hope things have settled down
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

liss and I are both starting our courses on Sept 16.

Sorry I didn't comment on how upset your mum made you lovely liss;
it's just that tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of my mum's death,
and I miss her terribly.

V xx
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
now's the time

So sorry Venus, hang in there. She would be so proud of all the strength you've shown in this year!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
now's the time

It has been a crazy week! Adjusting back to work is pretty intense. It reminds me of when I had my first full time job and just felt like my whole life was taken over! And tech industry hours to boot... with a big launch coming up... it's been nuts.

But I've been making sure to go to yoga every night and it helps even more now. Feeling good about things, even though I'm counting down to the weekend...

Hugs to all
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

thinking of you on Friday Venus.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thank you fantail and Dee (((hugs))).

And so proud of you fantail, and I'm sure you are doing brilliantly in your new job. ♥

Love V xx
Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Hi all

Curious at 6 months into this journey if there are particular books or resources that have helped you - (doing lots of travel means I've had a chance to read)
Books I recommend in general, however it must be said that I read almost all non fiction and mostly self help/psychology/spirituality books

1.Drinking a love story (alcoholic memoir)
2. The happiness project (such a fun read)
3. A stroke of insight (about a brain doctor who has a stroke and describes her experience amazingly)
4. A new earth (I agree about the power of now being way too repetitive and wordy but this book changed my life)
5. Many lives many masters (hard to explain but fascinating read, also changed my life)
6. Love eat pray (another fun read)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

V so happy you have rekindled your love of reading. That makes my heart happy.
Your Mom is most certainly smiling down on you giving you the strength to become the beautiful person you've always been.
So glad you are healing and beginning your journey with class. You have been such a source of strength and love for me that I know that you will succeed in making all of your dreams come true. This is just the beginning for you and I can't wait to see where you go from here.