Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 2

Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

We are not strong, but those who are got that way one day at a time. People have gotten out of awful messes one day at a time...by not drinking. I am trying to follow that path too. Day 1 for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Peaches and welcome.
I'm not going to give advice as I'm not qualified at all to! I do understand about the work thing though. I'm having to accept that I am a high functioning alcoholic but an alcoholic none the less, in fact I've just got a major promotion at work. The problem is that I have such a low sense of self worth that I couldn't get over the sense that I was a fraud, despite my successes and so I drank to take away those thoughts and get over the stresses.
The problem is that my drinking left me hungover every day which messed up my performance and I ended up spending as much effort covering up for that as I did getting on with my job. I would never make appointments before 11am, became an expert in explaining the delays on deliverables and would leave early to start drinking to take all these extra stresses away, the very ones caused by my drinking.
Anyway, good luck and keep coming back here, this forum has been the single biggest help to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thank you so much locus and pamel. I am with you locus on the job. I have gone in hung over and trying to cover just wanting the day to be over. I haven't called in sick much but once I promise just once I started in the morning and called in claiming back pain and worked from home or attempted to. And kept drinking. I need ti head off to work now but will check back later. One thing I have to do is replace the 3 beers I snick out of the trudge last night before my husband sees them gone. Its easier than just saying I drank them. I picked up 3 mini bottles after work. They fit into my small purse and I'm sure you know once you start its so hard to stop. Have a good strong day and thanks again.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Day 1 is today instead god i need more guts to do this.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Pamel - day one for you too - be strong.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Erratic I'm already thinking about how to get through the day. It has been my only coping device for a long time. I Had a bad round of insomnia last night so being tired doesn't help. Vicious cycle. Check back here. Well try to do it together.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we are all strong - it takes a kind of strength and stubbornness to keep drinking despite the catastrophes....

I don't think it takes strength to have success here too - I think it's acceptance.

I needed to accept that drinking wasn't working for me and I needed faith that not drinking would eventually work out for me.

I know what drinking gets me - at least there was the chance of a different outcome not drinking.

I figured I gave years to drinking - I should be able to give a few months to not drinking and give it a really good go.

I'm glad I did.

D
Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Back to day 2. I did not have the courage to post since I was ashamed of the weekend. Smh
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important to remember we're here for support GhostFace - this isn't like recovery dodgeball or something - we're on your side, man

D
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi Peaches!! If u are looking for support u've come to a great place. U feel like crap when u quit, well I bet u feel like crap the day after too. I must be fortunate cause I had no withdrawals nor felt bad after I stopped. Coming to this site is a good step so is telling ur dr. The Dr is the one u trust with ur health care so u need to be honest about what u do that may be affecting ur health in an unhealthy way. I'm on day 9 and feel great and so can u . Gotta go to work now but keep coming back! It won't be easy but u WILL find support here.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Glad to see August back in action.
Day 10 (double digits!!)

SeanMC: your Picts are fantastic & remind me of one of the reasons I stopped drinking: travel money. Thank you for flowers in bed & my morning trip to China. ;-)

Stay strong my friends!!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hello folks, I've read today's posts and can relate to many of them completely, perhaps more than I might really want to.

It's indeed very sobering to call by here and I'm very thankful for the honesty, but also this is an exceptionally pleasant group and I can't remember such good vibes from an online forum.

I'm finishing a third clean day and because of coming here I think something's clicked for me and I can say that so far I'm not having to do any wrestling with demons.

I'd say there's a knack to this thing, something to do with bracketing off all those questions that arise and staying focused, like you're in a kind of protective surrounding bubble. I'm afraid I can't explain it better than that...

I've been causing myself some serious grief in recent months at a new and often stressful job but I'm optimistic now that I can deal with things without the bottles of lunatic stuff.

In the past I've gone a month or two several times and even nine months once so I'm kind-of familiar with the peculiar psychology that goes on, and I do think a lot of it is down to the awful social influences on so many people in the modern, so-called developed world.

This image from Indian philosophy called the nataraja is the sort of thing I have in mind- Shiva the god of destruction dances freely within a circle of fire, keeping away from the edges; his foot is on a demon of ignorance... He also has three dangerous cobras about him but he's at one with them and they're no trouble.

A few more photos from over here...

Buddhist temple

Best wishes folks- I'll look forward to recharging my resolve by calling back here tomorrow...

By the way, kadidee, you bet, they're 55-60% and will total your whole life for you just nicely.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-13-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: refer PM
Old 08-13-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Kys

Hi guys. I want to get back to day 1 tomorrow. Off to bed now.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I messed up. back at 1. more later. I'm feeling pretty low.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 2.. didn't sleep well but got up and ran 5 miles in the rain. I think I'm.putting too much pressure thinking how I will handle the pressure. I will only think about today. Going to a speaker meeting tonight and reaches out to a therapist. Its so nice to to feel like crap. Let's keep going
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

@SeanMc - very nice pictures

@bblackbirdflyy - hope to hear from you later

@stacia - well done on day 10

@GhostFace - well done on your first posts, it will get better
Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

@Fitness - well done on your run !

@Kys/Erratic - come and join us friends, together we can do it

@peaches - Hello, nice to meet you here, I'm on day 10, it will get better day after day.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I am checking in again. Day 9. Gosh I am kind of getting tired of counting the days since I am weekend drinker. Maybe I should go by weeks? None the less I am doing pretty well today. Had to take a couple of Melatonin last night to get to sleep, but I slept and don't feel as tired today as I did yesterday.

Welcome to all the newcomers and great job on those of you who have remained sober.
To those of you have slipped, dust yourself off and jump back on the wagon. You can do this, I know you can.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Beautiful pictures SeanMc

To all struggling remember why you wanted to quit and keep trying you all deserve the best life can offer and drinking isn't one of them. xxx