Notices

Class of August 2013 Part 2

Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to all new that subscribed to this thread, please post, it helps us and it helps you. I am on day 9, it feels good. Will be back later here.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
TKS

Hey fifth I think we share the same start day. What day is it in Malta when you posted the comment above?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitness1234 View Post
Ugh so I slipped this weekend.. one drink turned into a binge. The urge to drink was hard to resist. Feeling like crap again. And my gf caught me drinking and is mad at me. Just very bad decisions. Back to day one very sad
Fitness, I understand. It was a rough weekend family-wise, and I gave in. Hate myself for it, but there it is.

A new day today; let's make it work.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TKS View Post
Hey fifth I think we share the same start day. What day is it in Malta when you posted the comment above?
When I posted the above comment its 4.30 of Monday 12th
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi all--

Well...I made it thru the weekend booze-free, makes almost 4 days for me. Had a great Saturday with my son and his friend riding go-karts, then started getting my house back in order after so much hung-over neglect. That was a little stressful; there is so much to do. But I keep telling myself it is going to take less time to put things right than it took them to atrophy as long as I keep a totally clear mind. Sunday we visited my parents, helped my Dad out with his car, Mom with her PC, then went shooting for a while. Then more house-work.

I have so much energy when I don't drink. I start to feel so good after a few days off the booze, and that can trigger me to go drinking, so I have to be careful. But no crippling desire to right now.

I'm doing this for my son and for myself. I want his respect (I know I was starting to lose that), and I want to be there for him when he needs me in the future.

Hang in there everyone!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi class!
I had two beers on Friday night with my family. I am not kicking myself, because I did not binge but am still a little freaked out that I'm going to get into the "I can moderate this." mindset. I'm torn and not sure what to do. I know from reading your experiences moderation may not be possible, and I'm not sure why I think I'm any different.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

and I was not ALONE! that is key for me.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Legs, what day are you seeing yourself on now? 1 again or doesn't it count because it wasn't a bender on your own?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That's where I'm torn. I don't feel guilty. I drank like a "normal" person.
But at the same time, I made a promise to myself to be done.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi All

I survived the weekend totally sober. Day 8 for me. Still in the manic hyper energy mode at least by i have to go to bed i am so tired I sleep instantly. Hope i skip the insomnia part.

Good luck to all for the upcoming week.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Tallia

Sure, it always made me laugh how it's packaged in a ribbed transparent plastic bottle all as a dangerous industrial chemical- which is what it is of course...

I tended to wonder how I could get through the day without some of that but now I'm beginning to wonder how I did get through the day with some of that...

Originally Posted by Tallia View Post
SeanMc lovely pics but boy the last one brings back memories that stuff is lethal that's for sure
Good to read the other posts on the thread. Will call back after another milk-coffee day tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Saddler, glad you and your son had a good time! I'm the one who asked the "family " question. Keep it up cause before u know it he'll be grown. I enjoy the shooting sport also. It helps me to get out for a little practice.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Back on Day1, but still in august.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just checking in. Day 12 here. I haven't gone this long without drinking in at least 15 years (unless I count the brief time I was married when we didn't drink but smoked weed every day). So I have hope!

Wharf Rat--I'm also trying to figure out what I want to tell people. I've told people I'm close to that I'm worried about my drinking so not drinking at all to see how it goes. But when I get into social situations with my colleagues (always drinking involved), I might start by saying something along the lines of "I haven't felt good after drinking recently", or "Have to get some work done when I get home" or "on a new fitness routine so not drinking for now". I'm just not ready (and don't know if I will ever be ready) to share with colleagues how much I was drinking at home alone every night.

SeanMc--lol, I thought that the lethal stuff was on the top shelf and that those transparent ribbed bottles were water. Yikes!

Legs21--I have thought every single day over the past 12 days that after awhile, I might go back to drinking like a 'normal' person--wine at dinner when out, or over the holidays, etc. But on a deeper level, I'm so scared of going back to where I was. For me, it's a slippery slope.

I looked at the calendar on the fridge today and thought okay, just 3 more weeks to go and you made it! And then I thought, made what? Am I looking at August as something to get through so that I can relax and start some sort of moderation? Yes, that was rolling around somewhere deep in my brain. Isn't that a complete contradiction to what I just wrote about the slippery slope? I think that at some level, I'm not ready to accept the idea that I'll never drink again, and yet am terrified of going back to where it was, so I'm stuck in contradictions. Maybe I'll just focus on today
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I looked at the calendar on the fridge today and thought okay, just 3 more weeks to go and you made it! And then I thought, made what? Am I looking at August as something to get through so that I can relax and start some sort of moderation? Yes, that was rolling around somewhere deep in my brain. Isn't that a complete contradiction to what I just wrote about the slippery slope? I think that at some level, I'm not ready to accept the idea that I'll never drink again, and yet am terrified of going back to where it was, so I'm stuck in contradictions. Maybe I'll just focus on today
From what I've read on SR (and personal experience of course), this seems to be very common among people who are taking their first steps in sobriety. Funny thing isn't it? Maybe someone more educated will tell us how they got through that. But for now, I'll take your advice: today is good enough.

Oh yeah, congrats on the 12 days as well!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sorry but today had not much time to join you, was a very busy day and thanks God I was sober....tomorrow is my 10th sober day, hope to find more time to spend in this forum. Anyway goodnight from Malta, I will be catching up with your posts from my tablet in bed.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Is a big day for me tomorrow. Going back to work after hospital and deciding to give up drink. I tend to catch up with a few friends every day at the pub at lunch. I'm not going, and will probably spend it on here instead.

Then on Saturday my wife and were going out foot a meal with another couple that are good friends of ours.I rang him today and explained what had happened, not fully yet mind. I was going to cancel, but he said either cancel or we can just do the meal. In up for the meal, we don't see each other too often.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

legs - I think most of us have a 'normal drinking experience' when we're trying to quit...it's a classic trick we play on ourselves looking for the holy grail of somehow being able to drink without the bad stuff.

I wrote this a while back but I still think it's true

'at least I didn't get drunk...'
It seems I'm seeing people saying this more and more often here these days....

I've actually been waiting for a day when I haven't seen it here, so I can post this and not have people think I'm picking on them...

but everyday I see some one post saying 'hey I drank, but at least I didn't get drunk'

I understand to a certain extent because I used to do the same.

When I was trying to get a handle on my drinking, not getting drunk was an achievement, a victory - it was hope to me, somewhere deep in me, that hey maybe I could control my drinking whenever I wanted....at the very least it was proof I was 'getting better'...

If I really looked back at my history I'd have seen the times when I drank 'like a gentleman' were the rare exception, not the rule.

I had 100s, maybe 1000s, of times where I got wasted and embarrassed or hurt myself or others - but I'd always go back to those handful of times where I'd had a glass or two and 'nothing happened'.

I really wanted to be a normal drinker, so I guess it's not surprising I clung to those few nights....but I'd always return to my normal pattern of drinking.

Looking back now, the truth was I was a blackout alcoholic drinker who sometimes had a 'normal' drinking experience - it was blind luck, not good management.

Please don't fall for the same lies I did for all those years.

Alcohol and I have a disastrous relationship. My drinking caused me immense pain and suffering, and it damn near destroyed me and all I loved....

if I drink - even one or two glasses - it's anything but a triumph.
D
Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 14!!! I have a crazy amount of energy and just want to do everything and anything. I signed up for Irish Dance lessons and bought an Italian language lesson CD. I feel on a level like I have wasted the last 10 or so years boozing and being hungover so maybe I'm trying to make up some time. I also found a Groupon for flight lessons. It never occurred to me to learn to fly a plane, I'm terrified of heights, but right now I'm in the mindset of "Say yes to life," experience as much of it as possible. This is my first go at sobriety so I'm not sure if this is the "pink cloud" effect I've heard about. I love it, though. I feel awesome. I've been keeping strong by posting and reading what the brave souls on this site have shared and I've been reading Allen Carr's "The Easyway to Stop Drinking." That book really changes your perspective on the sauce, I recommend it highly. I'm so eager to start counting my sobriety in weeks and months instead of days. Thank you all for your encouragement and Legs, be careful... "moderation" is a slippery slope. I know I couldn't do it. I hope all my classmates are doing well and feeling good today! Welcome to the newbies!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Checking in!

REALLY bad cravings today not only for a beer or drink.

But SWEETS!! I've never been a sweets person... Last night I woke up and ate almost a half gallon of ice cream.... I can't remember the last time I had any.

On the other side I'd rather have a problem with sweet than anything else the urge just won't go away and then the urge for a beer has been the worst... All of a sudden I see it e everywhere... Today during lunch the yeast in my bread kept speaking to me.... Keep telling myself its because I haven't really been sleeping more than 4 hrs the last 3 nights...

I keep telling myself it will pass!

Congrats to all! Welcome to the newcomers.. And to the repeats.. Just keep it in your head... One day it will be your last day 1. Just keep pushing!