Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 19

Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Well done WWG, that will be a huge relief

Carlos, thank you for your poignant post, well, both of them actually! So many folk I know on SR are or have been dealing with sick parents, it is such an awful, and highly emotional situation to go through, I feel for you. It can a long time for the last memories to dissipate enough for earlier, happier memories to take their place.

As for that one glass, tough lesson to learn. I hear many similar tales and to be honest it is probably what scares the bejesus out of me most, that I will become complacent.

DP, I too believe I am a drunk rather than an alcoholic, as I interpret the descriptions; and like you frequently laid off it for months at a time to 'prove' I didn't need it. Also like you, i guess this is the first time I have quit saying it is for ever, before when I tried quitting and failed, I always had it in my mind that I would some day drink again.

Hd3, yes, patient, that is why it scares me!

Bf sounds like your little maid is bouncing back to health!
Grace, hope you have a great weekend

Night all
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Congrats Matthew!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Very relieved. We will have to adjust our spending a bit as this is a pay cut. But, I'm very happy. Thank you all for the support. Also, day 143 sober.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I told another employer I received an offer. They want to meet with me Monday morning
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

23.25 and posting from bed.

Matthew, oh ye of little faith, I knew you'd do it, I'm really happy for you. When do you start? I've baked you a cake so lets celebrate. Matthew and sobriety rock.

Lots of love

Gxx
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
23.25 and posting from bed.

Matthew, oh ye of little faith, I knew you'd do it, I'm really happy for you. When do you start? I've baked you a cake so lets celebrate. Matthew and sobriety rock.

Lots of love

Gxx
Next week most likely Wednesday.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Just sat in bed with a lovely cup of tea on one side and a fidgety 3 year old on the other side, he was having a bad dream so I got him in our bed with me. The other half is in his bed, lol, not as bad as it sounds, it can't be because I can hear him snoring from here!

HD3, you are so, so right. Alcohol is cunning , baffling , powerful, and patient !!!! Patient it is and we need to be aware of that. Thank you. xx

Thanks Dorothy and yes it is very sad. As most people here probably know, my Dad is my hero and what's happening to him is breaking my heart. Age is cruel.
I've never heard of topamax, but I shall Google it.

Hi Toots, I believed that too because I could go for days without drinking, I didn't drink on work days and I used to kid myself something rotten with words like ' If you don' t have a drink until 9 in the evening well you definitely don't have a problem. The thing is 9 in the evening would come and I'd pour out a glass of wine and a whisky for him, but I'd be the one that was doing the topping up and I'd have another bottle of wine open at the back of the cupboard as well as the one on display and every time I topped up our glasses I would have a swig out of the other bottle and just for good measure a swig of the whisky too, oh and if there was any wine left, I'd drink it in the morning!! I've never liked whisky but after a few wines I didn't care and to this day if I get even a slight whiff of it I start dry heaving. I'm just so classy.
Wishing you a good week end too and as always thank you for being you. xxxx

Matthew, you're obviously very good at interviews, better than you think. Maybe its time to start believing in yourself.

Lots of love to you all, see you tomorrow, if not before.

Gxx
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Back from a bar, Had no cravings whatsoever. The cravings are here at home where I used to drink alone. ;(

Grace, and Toots, it helps me to see other people who didn't think they were alcoholics but showed all the problems related to it...hum. It's sinking better in my head how devious this whole thing is. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Grace, I must say though, what a clever trick having another bottle open so people wouldn't think that bottle was going down too fast. I would never have thought of that.

Has anybody ever watched Rain in my Heart, Peter Watson's documentary on alcoholism in the UK? That film gave me the final push to stop drinking completely. Beware though, it gave my friend Johnny - an alcoholic - a need to drink even more. It's also a real tear-jerker.

Have a good evening. Glad I'm ending the night here. Only 7 months ago, I'd be drinking and going to bed super drunk.

DP
PS; can somebody explain why under my name it always says 146 posts when I've a strong feeling I've written more?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hey DP, I did exactly the same as Grace, spare bottle of brandy in a kitchen cupboard, I was safe, hubby only ever opened the cupboard with food or dishes in, so the cleaning product cupboard was safe to store, and yes classy as Grace, it was swigged from the bottle!

I haven't come across that documentary but I will look out for it
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

13.11 Saturday

Hi Undies, it's very quiet here today, but then again it's always a bit quieter at weekend. It's cold, grey and pouring with rain here, I did intend doing a bit in the garden but I'll have to go for plan B now, when I decide what it is.
Laughed at my little g.son the other day. The conversation went:
Me: 'O what are you doing in the kitchen, you're very quiet?'
O: 'I'm not eating the cat's dinner Nanny, I'm only tasting it!'
Oh the joys!

Just like me Dorothy, I used to drink alone too, not a good thing to do!
That was only one of my 'clever' tricks Dorothy, I had quite a few, believe me!
No, I've never heard of 'Rain in my heart' one to look out for.

Hi Toots, I used to keep a mug full of wine in the dish washer too, very handy for a quick swig when I was in the kitchen!!

See you all later, I best go and make this child some lunch.

Gxx

Just for Today: Truth is my connection to reality. Today, I will take time to ask myself, "Am I telling the truth?"
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Well, the blues have lifted a little bit. I've been really trying to focus on sticking close to my recovery behaviors- eating well, going on walks, checking my thoughts, etc. It does seem to help.

I am glad for the weekend.

I splurged yesterday and bought myself a few books in celebration of my 30 days clean and sober. It's nice to be reading again. That is one thing that I had quit during the later stages of my drinking. I think it had become too hard for me to remember what I had been reading and it kind of lost it's charm then, plus I was too busy just focusing on drinking.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi undies just jumpin on here real quick before work!

WWG woohoo way to go with the job!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Hi undies just jumpin on here real quick before work!

WWG woohoo way to go with the job!
Thanks. Glad I got the job, and Monday I'm meeting with another company that wants to make an offer. My wife is freaking out that we are losing 16k in salary. But, we need to cut back. Too much credit card debt.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Oh grace, I would have forgotten it if I put wine in the dishwasher, I never use the drn thing! Started it up when we moved in to check it worked..haven't been near it since!
Hahaha love kids! I used to chew on my old dogs bonios,( out of the box not her dish!) always had a couple in my pocket, but the smell of cat food is so gross! I'm surprised he went near it!

DG I don't know what I would do without my reading, I use the library all the time, and thrift shops. Plus now I have my kindle, I download all the free books! Glad your blues have lifted a bit

BF don't work too hard!
WWG we have to cut our clothes according to our cloth, as my gan used to say, you may need to tighten your belt, but at least you still have an income, I presume your wife will keep her job too which should help

Steve, MB drake hd3, murchovski, Carlos, SJ, DP and all I have forgotten, have a lovely and sober weekend
Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

D.G glad to hear you're feeling in a better frame of mind today. I find walking really helps me, it sort of clears my head and makes me feel better. I was the same with reading too when I was drinking, used to read the same chapter over and over, but still couldn't remember what I'd read. Reading is something I've got back into too, I read at every opportunity and now I've got this kindle I can download loads.

Hi B.F I hope work's been kind to you today. Enjoy year weekend.

Nothing to stop you still looking for other jobs whilst your working Matthew I suppose. Like you say you'll just have to be a bit more careful with your money, cut your cloth according to your means my Granny would have said.

Tools lol, I never use my dishwasher either, but it's next to the sink and I use it to store my plastic food container and packed lunch boxes,so it was really handy to have a quick swig while I was doing the dishes and the other half would never think of going in there.
The smell of catfood really is disgusting, but he seemed to have enjoyed it, said it tasted fishy!

Well I'm off now to wash the dishes but of course without the wine.

Gxx
Old 08-17-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Ha ha. Toots and Grace, you must be soul sisters

Grace the story about the dishwasher made me laugh although it's not funny... I never did these things but if I lived with someone, it may have gotten to that. And your story about not eating but tasting (and cat food) oh. too sweet and cute. He's 4 ? Does he miss his mom ?

DG, great to hear you're feeling better.

I totally relate with the books taking much longer to read. I'd have to read the last 10 pages I read the night before. The worst was movies that I recorded on my tivo. I must have watched Barton Fink at least 6 times! ark.

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday. Week-ends are still a bit hard. Bye everyone.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Evening Undies,

My cold is feeling mucho better today. Just returned from a totally cool AA mtg There was a solid group of old-timers that started slowly, graduated the tone and message, then finally busted out some serious testifying. Should have brought my blues guitar!

Just throwing an idea out here...we go to startup.com with a short movie idea for funding that follows the sisters, removed at birth, that have found each other on SR. Filming Toots and Grace playing "CAN YOU TOP THIS" would be a blast! Let me know if you are in?

HD - Thanks for the addition of patience...spot on!

DP, feel free to call me Carlos...but, IWLSAST is I Will Live Strong And Sober Today...if that helps

Bye-bye undies.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

WWG good luck with Monday as well! I'm sure everything will eventually work out as far as your debt goes. Paying off a lil at a time is better than nothing!

For the first time in awhile we actually had a mellow work day today. Played a lot with my dog just having her hang up front instead of the back.

Watching a crazy new lifetime movie called baby seller!! It's really good for being on lifetime!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Carlos, I'm up for the movie as long as I get to play my younger self???? Hahahahaha
Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Murchovski 100 days today!!!! Perhaps we can ask you to be thread secretary too?