Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 6

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Drake... awesome that you've found a good therapist, and enjoy your time at the fair
Old 08-15-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi kids,

Well I'm really starting to think that relocation reset and therapy should be the way this goes to modify my behavior, thinking, and depression. after my first night in the woods I am vastly improved. It's not like I'm in Aruba. I have the same worries. Im only a town over. But last night was the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. And I slept on a couch. Having a dog around is awesome too.

The stay exactly where you are and change all of your behavior and modes of thinking before moving on philosophy gets a lot of unwarranted credit. That is one reason I am not a lover of AA although I probably need it or something similar.

Check in later. Got a potato in the oven, piece of swordfish for the grill, Connecticut tomatoes and cucumbers to eat.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Success today! Cut back 1/2 of the time I usually spend online I got more things done today, and feel much better about myself for doing this. I got some chores and errands done that have been getting put off.

Made a delicious steak dinner for the husband tonight. I have to say, it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten!! Lol. I followed the advice of one of my friend's... he really knows how to cook a steak apparently! Cast iron dutch oven, high heat, oil, butter. Two minutes on either side... and bam!! That thing was so tender, no knife needed.

Husband and I cleaned up part of the garden area outside this evening, and then planted some peppers... bell and habanero.

I'm thinking of trying out the Unitarian Universalist church in town finally. Years ago, back in college, I tried the UU congregation and really liked it. In fact, I have to say it's the only church I've ever liked! So, guess I feel like joining a group of people who I very much seemed to fit in with. I remember enjoying the yoga classes that met there. It turns out the one here has a writers group, a knitting group, and they watch TED Talks and chat over coffee after the service! This is really my kind of church
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Well we had a sad night tonight... my second-oldest cat has died. She was a rescue and spent the majority of her life sick due to all the ailments she caught as a feral kitten. But with lots of love (and lots of money to the vet) she lived to see 12 years old... not an unreasonable age even for a healthy cat.

I was given the decision whether to resuscitate her one more time, or euthanize her. I decided she probably has had enough pain and it was time to go.

There will always be a small part of me that will regret that decision, but the vet gave her a 5% chance of surviving the night, and if she did survive she would still be a very sick kitty. So reason tells me I did the right thing.

RIP Sugar the cat.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your loss goat.

D
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sorry Goat.

Thoughts with your family, and Sugar.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Goat.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Goat. Cats are so special.

You are right though, 12 years is a long life for a cat, and I'm sure you gave it a happy one.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Today is 30 days no weed for me!!

I don't think I ever could have imagined doing that when I was still drinking. In fact, it's still a little hard to wrap my head around it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

So, yay morning.

For some background, I've sent out about 150 resumes in the past month. And... I have received *NO* response. This is quite unprecedented.

Well an old friend called and told me why. Apparently if you google my name there's a mugshot of me from my trip to the county jail in June right there front and center in the results.

There are about 5 companies who scour local arrest records and put mugshots online for the purpose of extorting money out of people in order to remove the pics. They charge anywhere from $100 to $400 for this "service". And, I suspect that if you do pay them they will realize you are a live customer and immediately sell your name and picture to all their buddies who want to do the same thing -- so paying them may actually make the problem worse!

Anyway... for those of you who have spent time as a guest of the county... google yourself and see if you have the same problem so you can fix it before it bites you.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Do not do that paid service Goat, I read an article here about a local company that did that, at least in the neighboring state of KS, they can not do that any longer. Sorry for the loss of your Sugar too, I had a cat named Sugar as a kid. Lived forever it seemed.

Kind of a screwy day. Did not go as planned but got some things done. Had a good time at the fair, ate too much. All the goings on made me realize I sure am not a country boy.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Goat - I think that's particularly scummy.

congrats DG

D
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Goat- So if you suspect paying them will make it worse, how would one go about fixing the problem? The only idea I could come up with would be to put enough stuff about myself out intentionally that it would push that result way down the list. Or just stuff with my name that wasn't actually about me at all.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Well... keeping in mind that I am a hacker.... there are multiple ways to "take care" of the problem, or their whole damn organization.

But there are also less nefarious ways of dealing with it. My first name is one of those names that has 800 variations in spelling around the world, and there are two alternate spellings that people generally do not even realize are from the same name. I picked one of those and renamed all my online job seeking accounts (linkedin, dice, etc) and my CV so it has this alternate version of my name.

...and....

lo and behold I got a bunch of responses today. Heh...

I still want to DDOS their site though. I could bring them to their knees within about 15 minutes. But, I will be good 0:-D
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I want you on my side Goat!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
I want you on my side Goat!
Yeah, me too!!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

LOL. Goat, your post made me laugh.

My name on the other hand really only has one spelling, although people like to misspell it quite a bit, so that idea never would have occurred to me.

Good luck with the job search!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry on the loss of your cat Goat. And I want you on my side in the cyber wars myself.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

It's interesting to note how much our thread has changed since the early days.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Nothing of import to relay.

Plugging away. Got out my watercolors this weekend.

Who in their right mind uses these things? YOU CANNOT CONTROL WATER.

That about sums it up, and--a good indicator of why I will design your travel, activity, and event brochures in obscurity rather than be worried about haughty gallery showings. =P