Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 6

Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

My high school experience was hideous. I was bullied a lot. But I had a core group of nerdy friends that were and are incredibly interesting people.

Tonight I made a stir fry with Bok Choy, Pork, Red Pepper, and Broccoli, fresh garic and soy sauce. Amazing. You gotta lightly steam the broccoli first and saute the meat, then stir in the veggies on high heat for a few minutes, very fast and hot. I am really enjoying the Calphalon 4 quart saute pan I bought. Normally $160 at Macy's, $59.99 at Marshalls. That is the first time I did stir fry in the pan. I had no clue how much better it would be in a good pan. No extra liquid.

So Lexapro made me really drowsy for a week and the Psych told me not to bother with it. Now I have Zoloft!! Yay....not. I am starting it at a very low dose. This empirical method is crap. Zoloft is known for the most jaw clenching side effect, which I am already getting. I get that from Prozac a little. But it is the most "activating." That means that when people have the really tired depression it gets them going. So that fits me. If this fails I will have to redo prozac with some additions, 5htp, and exercise, which I still have no ambition or energy to start.

Looking forward to getting well and blowing this hotdog stand. Hartford is a pit. I asked my sister if I could house/dog sit for the next 3 nights in her luxurious house that will be empty. She is having my parents take her nice dog. I love the dog. I said I would stay there and take care of him. Husband is too weird about people staying in the place. With his imagination I'd be having hoodlums from Hartford partying there. I just want 3 days peace and quiet and to be alone in a nice place. Huge clean showers, all Temperpedic beds, big TVs, all cable channels, Xbox, Playstation, high end juicers, acres of riverfront. Guess she takes it all for granted and has no clue what it would mean for me to be out there with the dog and the house and peace and quiet. She really is a spoiled B$%#$.

Night kids. Off to my new addiction... LOST on Netflix. Don't start watching it. I have a problem.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

I went to a lord of the flies type boys high school for three years.
Hated that. Danced when it closed.

I went to a very progressive, liberal co-ed high school (it was the early 80s) for the last two years - had a great time

D
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Well, I guess I was wrong. I can go stay at the house. It's only 20 miles but it feels like 300 miles. I'll just have to keep busy and read and stuff. Plus I get to care for Big Boy who is a big boy, 100 lbs of lovable lab. He has an ear infection . It's in the middle of no where, but I'll be protected.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I went to a lord of the flies type boys high school for three years.
Yikes, Dee! That was one of my favorite books in high school, how ironic. So, I can imagine what you mean... that's scary.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Johnny, the stir fry sounds awesome!

I must be hungry... that is what sticks out from your post.

Hope you get to house-sit and enjoy it if you do.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Enjoy your stay, Johnny! Bet the dog will enjoy the company.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ok so I have to work on less time spent on the internet. Ugh. I hate to say it. I guess it could be my last "addiction" of sorts.

I realize it's a problem, because when I wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed, I feel a sense of futility... and I realize it's because it seems I never have enough time in the day to do all the things I want. Why?? I don't even have to leave my home to work. So, where does the time go? Online... researching everything under the sun, that's where! I guess I am constantly researching and reading about things. I enjoy it. But, I am not getting my goals accomplished like I'd like. So, something has to give.

I'm going to have to take a backwards approach than what I've been doing... I'm thinking of capping time online in 15 minute intervals. And using a timer on my iPhone to help with that. Lmao!! I know this sounds ridiculous.

So, the things I really need to keep track of online: email, SoberRecovery, money in our accounts & bills, Lift, Trello... and I have every single one of these apps available on my iPhone... which means, I only need to use this laptop for one thing: WRITING. And I even have programs for writing that, when opened, keep you from accessing the internet unless you close out of them... those minimalist type writing applications that show only a blank screen.

So, time for action. I am actually scared I will fail at this
Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good luck with the blank screen. It can be intimidating. Do you use Free Writing?

Anyway, it's kind of amazing how nice it is here. And Big Boy is always a treat. He was really chill as we walked the waterfront. This house is on the CT River and there is nothing else around. So when you go to the dock its just you and woods. And the big beast. Anyway, he's lying on his memory foam mattress in the corner. I was wishing he'd lie next to me. I have the couch all set up for sleeping. I was hoping he'd lie right at the foot of the coach but he has his own plans. He'd was sleeping here for a while. He snores. Haha.

Relaxing here. Don't want to go home. The thought of getting blitzed never crossed my mind.

Later guys. On my phone. Night
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm hoping if you can deal with alcohol, the net will be a lesser challenge Jennie

D
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
Good luck with the blank screen. It can be intimidating. Do you use Free Writing?
I've got DarkRoom, FocusWriter, and WriteMonkey... couldn't decide so tried all three out. Still can't decide. It's stupid choices like this that paralyze me sometimes. So, I guess I'll keep using them, one at a time until I get a favorite.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm hoping if you can deal with alcohol, the net will be a lesser challenge Jennie

D
Today was one great big fail

Tomorrow is a new day. 15 min email. 15 min SoberRecovery. Then I have to close it down.

Wondering if I should actually ween off? I don't know how to approach it really.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Interesting. I've been a creature of the internet since the 80s. It's just an integrated part of my life rather than a distraction. Of course it helps that I build web sites and stuff for a living. But still I find the idea of reducing internet usage to be... well, odd -- for me, anyway. Even when I wrote (half of) a novel. At all times I had about 15 other windows open... but then again I work best *with* distractions. In fact my "office" is the couch in the family room, which is the hub of activity in my house.

Oh, and it was only half of a novel because I jumped in and started writing without an outline or a plan. It was pretty good for what it was, but if I ever restart it I will do it the right way. I know how to plan my writing, this was just a diversion for me. I had an idea so I started writing and when I came up for air it was 100 pages.

Researching everything under the sun, as you said, is a lot of fun for me. I think one of my very favorite ways to all asleep is while stuck in a wikipedia trail. Every entry I read gets me interested in reading two other articles, and then sometime in the middle of reading I fall sound asleep with about 15 tabs open on my browser.

I write my music on the computer... My notation software will be running in one window while I have work happening in another window (or 5, if I'm writing .NET stuff) and SR open in my browser with 10 other web sites, and life happening all around me.

I guess this is a long way of saying that the internet interferes in my life no more than my left arm does. It's just a part of me, an extension of myself.

And if I want the entire family to gather around me I just look up talking kitty on youtube. Seriously, it's hilarious.

I'm absolutely *not* saying you're wrong to limit internet usage. Everyone has their own way of doing things and their own needs. I'm just saying I can't put myself in a place where limiting my internet usage would be relevant for me.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have 70 thousand posts here so I'm not the man to ask either LOL.
Seriously tho, if you feel it's a problem then it for you it is, Jennie.

I have no doubt there'll be pages on internet addiction somewhere...?

D
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Johnny, good to hear you enjoyed your night.

SJ, I feel the same way. I do end up wasting too much time on the internet sometimes, but it's an integral part of my job as well. Perhaps start the day with your other stuff and then once that is done get online. Sometimes I find it's hard to get off SR once I'm on it, I spend more time than I'd intended. But in the end, I don't feel too guilty... I'm not drinking or smoking weed! Maybe get an old-fashioned notebook and go outside and write?? You'll have to type it later, but it's a great way to start getting a first draft or writing down ideas for what to write. Nothing like the feeling of pen on paper, IMO.

Dee- Always good to see you and congrats on the 70,000 and counting!!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, yesterday was 4 weeks no weed. Which makes 4 weeks really clean and sober!!

I think I've got PAWS x2, but other than that, things are going along nicely.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good Morning class! been busy here. Had my round of Dr appointments, I will live, but my internist is just baffled at my diabetes numbers. One is really good, but my daily checks are all over the place. Trying some new med doses. Disappointed that being sober had not helped more. Lost weight and my blood pressure was fine.

Went to the therapist, a pychologist/counselor type and he was fantastic. Felt comfortable quickly and am going to work on a plan to deal with all the muck that got me in addiction in the first place.

Taking part of today off. Friend and I are going to the State Fair. I am not much of a fair person and 100% city boy, but it will be a diversion and get out of town day.

enjoy your getaway Johnny... sounds like it will do you good. Congrats on 4 weeks DG!

Internet junkie here too, I got rid of TV so this is my center of life.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Drake- hope you enjoy the fair! Sometimes it's good to get out of our zones and do something different.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I suppose with anything there is an addiction to it.
I'm like Goat. I've generally got 5-10 browsers open, and my computer is my source for references, and unlike my hard copies, I can keep 5-6 of them handy on screen, rather than taped all over the wall, on my drawing desk. Plus, so easy to find!
Digitally drawing, I can just import some references on to a layer, and go from there. Pretty fantastic really. I do have to use caution falling into Wikipedia wormholes--but I have found some subjects that are truly fascinating to learn about. My sketchbook is chock full of notations to books on stuff I'm going to learn about eventually.
And Pandora? Forget about it. Gazillions of songs (I sprung for the extra. It is seriously worth 3 bucks a month to never hear an ad, plus the quality is loads better. I skip a coffee once a month to justify it and am money ahead).

I dunno why I'm jumping on the bandwagon of the Intertoobz, because in the end Dee is right: If it's a problem for you, then so it goes.

Blue Dog is...progressing--then sliding back, and then taking steps forward. There are some aspects of his "training" that I'll just call...dubious. I am sure there is some basis to it, somewhere...but I don't feel that BD's issues are emotional, and based on some deep seeded fear, or irrational fear of strangers.

He's protecting his sh^t.

But, I promised to play nice, and we're going through all the proper steps. It's just a right drag that he and I can't go rampage with the frisbees, or go Ballin' on the beach.

I've gently suggested to W that perhaps she spend some more time with the trainer, and establishing some Leader mentality on the BD, because as I type this he is contentedly snoring underneath my desk keeping my toes warm. If W were home, read: Weekend he'd be about half bonkers wondering what he could procure from the Treat, Walks, Toys, Peanut Butter piņata that is the W. So, therein lies the problem. The BD has trained the W.

We have however, established some new behaviors that are pretty exciting. There is a remote for the lights in my studio/office space, so I'm working with a "target" command to build up to him turning the lights on or off. Silly, but I'm kind of excited to see if I can get BD to start doing stuff like that for funsies.

Hope all are well. Have an apt. today with the masseur that is built like a linebacker, (Prop to you, Dee ) Work out some of the kinks and tightness that comes from me leaning in, and out, and back in at my easel. I tend to get a bit tight working like that--and work standing up. Will be nice to relax a bit. After, I generally feel like just calling a cab rather than driving.

Have a great day!
-sB and the Sleeping BD
Old 08-15-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Yes, well I am very much like the rest of you... I keep 10+ tabs open. Researching is my thing. As a writer, it's integral to the process. I just get carried away with extraneous searches So... I've been arguing all along I don't have an issue with it, it's necessary, it helps my creativity, etc... yadda yadda yadda. The reality is that it's keeping me from some necessary work and productivity. So, I've gotta cut it back by half at least. And, that's so difficult, as I'm so used to being online all the time, with all the tabs open, like you guys have mentioned... it's a part of who I am now. And, like Goat, I've been doing it for a long, long time! In the early 90's I was one of the first in my school to chat and sell things online.

My Mother-in-law called me three times this morning, before I typically wake. Yeah. Lovely. And she used about 100 words to tell me something that a normal person would say in about 10-15. Wow, was I ever ticked. That is my pet peeve, and this woman must have been placed in my life for a damn good reason... and one that I have yet to figure out, perhaps to develop my patience in my new found sobriety.

I did my email checking today, got sidetracked by a sale... ended up buying 3 really awesome dresses for fall. Now I'm about to read my affirmations, post them on SR, and then get to writing. Then, off to run some errands... groceries, renew car tag, and drop off some clothes at thrift store.

Had another drinking dream last night! Having them regularly now. Not very bothersome really. Just interesting that at 4.5 months I'm finally having them. Didn't have them at all in the beginning.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

DG... congrats on your 4 weeks clean!