Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 6

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Of course--time and reflection have lessened the starkness of the situation.

The trainer was here last night. Blue Dog and the Wife worked with her for an hour. At this point, I am merely eye candy. (This is my story, so I'll tell it how I want to).

The issue is a matter of pack leader and such. Also: BD is spoiled completely rotten by guess who? There isn't a lot he cannot do.

Dee: Blue Dog is about 45 lbs. of Furry Destruction. He is a 2.5 yr old Blue Heeler, (Queensland Heeler, or Australian Cattle Dog). He is extremely: Fast. Smart. Strong. Impulsive. Driven. Batsh*t Bonkers.
Yes, the dog was going bananas at the neighbor, and was in a "down". The problem came when W relaxed just the iota that Blue Dog needed to make the dash, and POOF! Gone-zo.

Also, before you guys get the impression that I am some sort of psycho with some crazy expectation of a tiny woman dealing with our dog:

We are ranch kids.

The first time I met her parents, I brought a horse. We trailered out to their bull pasture and brought their bulls in. This girl thinks nothing of working cattle, tagging calves (no easy task, and a lot harder than holding a dog), walloping a bull on his snout, or loping after a calf back to the herd.

All is more calm now--and as for me in the beer aisle: In my defense, it is near the milk, which is one thing I was after. I tend to go grocery shopping when I'm pissed. Figure that out. I haven't been that mad in...I don't know. A long time. I think both the beer aisle, and the idea I could go to the pub was some deep, old time (not that much old time...) thinking that it'd be a lot easier to have a few, rather than confront my anger like a sane person.

The deal with our dog, and this gloriously expensive trainer is a quality of life thing. We can't really expect to be calm, and rational people out and about if we're constantly worrying about our creature going after some one. So...we made it official last night, Blue Dog, the W, and myself signed on for 10 training sessions. The nice part about our trainer is that she seems to think it won't take that long to get the results we're after--and we can use our fees toward attending a class or something if Blue Dog can manage to be nice, and learn some manners.

Having a better morning than yesterday. Still bummed we're on a beach/public ban...so BD and I will have to entertain ourselves at home somehow. I'm going to make a run to Petco and get a long line so we can at least play some frisbee out front, and if something comes up, he'll be literally attached to me. (However: he doesn't run after people with me...I'm playing by the trainer rules).

Anyway. Thanks all for listening. This was very much the last (only place)*edit* place I could turn to for a bit of support, and understanding on the very real, very surprising, and very scary thoughts I had that my immediate reaction was to either buy some beer, or hit the pub.

A good reminder that I am not--nor probably ever will be--out of the woods yet.

Be well, and STAY.
-sb

Last edited by ScoutBall; 08-07-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: changed a sentence: *
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Off to the orthodontist today. Will have a sore mouth for a few days. Taking our niece with me, she is staying with us a few days over summer vacation before school starts. Seems like I haven't had alone time in days now... that's somewhat of a strain on me. Not a trigger really, as I have no cravings anymore. But it's just something that really grates on me after a while, when I have to entertain others. I'm handling it well though. Hope I can last a day or two longer.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Scout, thanks for the story and I can relate. I had a pretty horrible couple of days at work and felt very much like getting a bottle last night to blow off steam. I was extremely frustrated (and rightly so) by a work situation not worth going into. Most days I make enough money to put up with just about any crap that happens at work, but when the crap happens and the money's not there to be made at the same time, I get a bit squirrelly. Yes, that's a word.

Then, as I was going over all the reasons that stopping at the liquor store would be a horrible idea, I almost got into a major accident on the freeway because some knucklehead swerved right in front of me at 70 mph to avoid missing an exit and having to take 5 minutes of his precious time to turn around. I slammed the brakes but would've hit him had I not swerved into the next lane, which caused the guy behind me in that lane to have to slam on his brakes. It was really, really close. Fortunately, I and the driver behind me were both paying attention to the one jackalope who was not, so there was not a three car pileup. I can't remember the last time I was that pissed! I had the distinct thought that the universe must WANT me to drink today, god dammit! But I actually chuckled at how morbidly absurd that idea was and went to the gym and lifted until I couldn't, then I spent the evening on the phone with a couple of old friends I hadn't talked to in too long. And after a good night's sleep I've had a much better perspective on the work nonsense. Even the worst of days aren't really THAT bad considering where I've been and the crap at work will dissipate. It always does eventually.

Also, yesterday made 4 months without a drop of alcohol. Progress!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats to you, Paul, on your 4 months!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

HI kids,

Crazy incident. What kind of dog is BD? Nice neighbor to leave it alone.

SoberJennie, Avengers is pretty good if you like the comic book movies. I thought it was fine to take up 2 hours of my time. Last night I got into Lost on Netflix. I have never seen an episode. Ohhhhh...boy, I'm in trouble now. I got sucked in and watched about 4-5 episodes.

Feel lousy because of the Lexapro, more like Lexicrap. Very drowsy. I haven't done jack in days. Though it is already hitting my anxiety and OCD. That whole thing about these drugs taking at least 4 weeks to do anything is a load of horse crap. I'm not someone to suffer for a month to see if its going to work or if side effects will go away. So I'll have to figure out what to do. Just way too drowsy to do anything.

So nothing to report as I have really done nothing. Waiting for the Alexandra to come around. I haven't seen her for days actually. It's been fine. It is so obvious I don't belong here. I need to feel like I used to on my Prozac and move on, travel around.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I'm from Qld.

TBH, Sounds like every other blue heeler I've known Scout - they *really* defend their territory.

congrats on getting through a bad day and hitting 4 months Paul.

take it easy Jennie, DG, Johnny Goat and Drake

D
Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Scout, congrats on signing up with the trainer then, hope it all works out and Blue Dog is nice and well behaved soon.

Sounds good!

As for my day... It was great! We made it to the ortho on time. Teeth are all nice and tightening back up again. We then ate lunch, got coffee and ice-cream, went to the library to renew my card, both of us got a couple of books... She got two on mythology, and I got Joe by Larry Brown and a book by Wendell Berry. We also went to the Riverwalk downtown. She played in the water fountain, and then we walked all over the place... I'll probably have some nice sore feet tomorrow because I was wearing three inch wedges!

All in all, a nice day!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Bandicoots!

I'm off to work early this morning but wanted to stop in and say 'hi' to all here.

Today is day 22 no weed, so yesterday was 3 weeks!! And it's day 122 no alcohol.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I well know crazy dogs, my Pug Olive is certifiably nuts. Poor dear had some congenital brain damage and I am her third family. She was in pound and rescue before I got her. She has seizures from time to time. Oddly, she has not had one since I have been sober.. wonder about that.... Anyway, she has many odd behaviors (she spent nearly 20 minutes a couple nights ago barking at and running from a walnut on the ground, later a stray cat came by and she just looked at him as he sauntered by) stares into space a lot and basically stays to herself most of the day unless food is in order. At least she is as slow as a sloth so I can keep up with her.

Since my nervous habit still requires me to have a drink in my hand and I do not like cola all that much, I stock up on Club Soda. I know your feeling Scout about grocery stores, I have to run the gauntlet of the liquor department to get it.

Other than that, all status quo here. Congrats on 3 weedless weeks DG and to 4 months Paul!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Drake, I'm a fan of club soda and seltzer too. Good stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

As I was going through my email this morning, I came across a notification from Meetup about a group I've been waiting to find for a long time... a writer's feedback meetup! I just connected with them. It's a weekly feedback/support type meetup and monthly book club all in one. So that's pretty exciting. I expected to find this sooner, as we live in a university town... took long enough, but it couldn't have happened at a better time really... as I'm finally sober!! Yay.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Scoutie- All I gotta say is: milk is always a good thing. I've been drinking tons of it since I laid off the alcohol.

SJ- I'm the same way- I really need my alone time. Hope you enjoy the book/writing club. It sounds like fun.

Paul- Congrats on 4 months!! Way to go!!

Johnny- Hope things pick up for you.

Dee- I had to Google Qld. Had no clue what you were talking about.

Drake- Thanks for the congrats.

Goat- Gotta say 'hi' to you too.

Tomorrow will be my 4 month anniversary on the no alcohol bit, although I guess technically it will be the first day of month 5 as April 9 was really my first day of month 1. Either way, I'm pretty much at 4 months (1/3 of a year!!) and any day is a good day to be sober.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day deteriorated quickly. Got in a big funk and could not get anything done. Should have not said anything about my dog.. she had a huge cluster of seizures. She seems ok but still agitated. But! I did not drink. This would have been a 15 cocktail night in the past.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Drake, I'm a fan of club soda and seltzer too. Good stuff.
I like a little splash of cranberry or grapefruit too.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
Day deteriorated quickly. Got in a big funk and could not get anything done. Should have not said anything about my dog.. she had a huge cluster of seizures. She seems ok but still agitated. But! I did not drink. This would have been a 15 cocktail night in the past.
Sorry this happened, Drake. But glad the pug is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your Creature, Drake.

Just think though--without the cocktails you were there in case something went down that you'd need to react, and make decent decisions about.

I feel you on how these animals share our lives, and how much they mean to us. I think one of the greatest qualities about dogs are that they love us regardless of our faults--drunk or sober--they are more worried about us than they ever would be themselves.

I'm glad you didn't drink. The funk will pass.
Take care.
sb
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Dee... where are you? Hope you are ok.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

just taking a few days off Jennie - nothings wrong

hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Today was a good/bad day. Several people set me off with stupidity and by BS tolerance was low. I went and sulked.

BUT

I decided I have had enough of this... so

1) I made a Dr. appointment to get my regular meds renewed and discuss getting back on some antidepressant or anti anxiety meds

2) Made a long delayed ophthalmologist appointment to see if I can he can help with my bad eye. It is not a lazy eye, it is just down right un-cooperative

3) Made an appointment with a therapist. The clarity of sobriety leads me to need to deal with problems I drowned in booze

4) I have decided to look for another job. I sort of work for myself, three condo buildings use me as managers as they do not the budget to hire one each. I work on contract. One is a problem child and is not worth what they pay me. One other is strongly rumored for sale or needs to be sold to be able to keep going. I would be gone if it would be bought by a developer. So I am going to work on that too.

Lord help me....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oh, Olive had a good day. No seizures and she seems to not have any effects but to be a bit more lethargic than usual. Thanks for the hugs on that... poor dear, they say they do not know what is happening, but she is so distressed for a while after I think she knows something is wrong.

Class