Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 16

Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

~~~ Peeps. Super busy weekend but hope to read later. Take care of yourselves and have a good one.

Toots I've only used booze in cooking when I'm hitting a super hot pan with it. So if I'm browning meat for a casserole, I'll wind up the heat then hit the pan with a bit of red or something for the sauce. But I don't add bits to most cooking anymore, Dee linked to that chart some time back and I was stunned. The range of gourmet vinegars around is huge and is very good for a texture as well as flavour substitute.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Marcher

Thanks so much Natty for the link!

Toots, I haven't read it yet, I'm about to, but I drink coffee in the am only, 2-3 cups. I don't get a buzz from it though. I really do like the taste, always have. I did quit it during my pregnancies and nursing. My H has given it up recently because it really was an addiction for him, all day drinker, could not moderate it despite heart trouble and dr. warning! After I cleaned up, he realized his level of coffee need and need to quit. Maybe it depends upon the person and how they drink/need it.?
And I do sometimes put wine in sauce or deglaze a pan with it. I do cook it quite a while after so as not to sauce up the kiddies! But, then again you know alcohol is not my addiction problem here. If a recipe called for ground percocet, I'd find a substitute or another recipe!

Which reminds me- I had a dream again about pills. This was the first dream that I didn't take them! In the dream, the pharmacy accidentally refilled an old script and gave it to me. I took out the bottle, poured them out to look at them, then put them ALL back into the bottle and returned it to the pharmacy, telling them I haven't used this since March and no longer take it. I woke up proud of my dream self! Haha! To me that is a WIN against the AV! So, even though I'm in a funk and "PAWSY", I was still fighting it. I like that word, PAWSY.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Marcher

Natty, you were not rude! Perhaps others cannot appreciate your nattiness, but we do. Everything cannot be rolled in sugar, right?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Marcher

Meso! 4 months awesome!
Babs! 5 months awesome!

Here's a cheer! Love you and big hugs!

Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Mesoso and Babs, two stalwarts of SR!

Joygirl, I think I am with you on the coffee, I don't feel emotionally any different with or without it, I just enjoy it. More of a ritual than anything. So I am going to continue for now.

Marcher having seen Dees link, I will not use alcohol in cooking. There are so many alternatives, I feel no valid reason to. It is a relief actually! I hope you are enjoying the weekend and hope you are fully recovered.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congratulations to MeSoSo and Babs!!!

And I don't use alcohol in cooking because I hardly cook anymore, tee hee!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Marcher

Toots, so glad I could convince you to stay on the coffee train with me! Now that H is not drinking it, I have to get up and make my own coffee. That is so unfair. For the first 25 years of our marriage he has brought me coffee in bed when he wakes me. Now, I have to wake myself and make my own. Bah!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My hubby rarely drinks coffee, so never makes mine how I like it ( strong and black, like the wee girl in the film Airplane! ) so I always get up and make his tea, my coffee, throw Molly out to do her business and feed her. Then back into bed to warm my freezing feet on hubby's legs!! Haha. No, Joygirl I have decided, giving up my coffee is a step too far!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Marcher

Well, I also gave up smoking after getting clean. And I've been eating healthy foods. And I've been getting daily exercise. And daily baths. So I have to have some vice or I'd be too squeaky clean for my own good. It's either coffee or gambling that's left. And I have no job, nor money.
I like my coffee strong and cheap. like my cabana boy.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

haha

Sass: you made me laugh at your post about not cooking often... I am looking forward to that very soon, or else just cooking simple meals that are not at the level of gourmet ness that the recipes would even call for alcohol. I never have used alcohol while cooking so could not weigh in on that issue.

Joy, your sense of humor... you like your coffee strong and cheap like your cabana boy...
Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Marcher

Ok, 1day, I guess that was a little crude. I really don't drink cheap coffee.

Sassy, I still have many years of cooking yet to do. But I am teaching my boys to cook some things. Even my 11 year old can make an omelet! And if my teenagers can put together 1200 pc. lego sets, surely they can follow directions on a box of pasta. It all depends on how hungry they are I suppose!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Marchers! I missed you all on the weekend, I do like my Marcher hit every day.

Big big Congrats to our lovely MeSo and Babs!

That's one each girls so there is no ugly fighting over them.

Toots de Sweet I don't think you need to give up the last of your coffee if you are only having a few cups a day.

It's interesting to read that some of you think that you may be experiencing PAWS. I didn't take a whole lot of notice of PAWS until last week when I started having grumpy old woman-ness which is not like me at all.

Then yesterday I got very annoyed with a friend who had stayed overnight Saturday. She had put away a bottle and a half on Sat night, we had a great chat and some laughs although she was repeating herself towards the end of the evening. No problem. So a good sleep was had by all, I went for a walk early and then whammo at breakfast I got an earful about not drinking and being up early to exercise. Now I thought this a bit unfair, we'd had a good evening with the others, I hadn't woken her when I got up, there was no call for it. Then she apologised, said it was the hangover talking and we got on with things.

Weirdly enough instead of that being the end of it I smouldered -- which is also not like me at all, by lunch time I was ready to snap off her head and the heads of others who had come for lunch. It all went fine, I did cool down but it seems at the moment that one little thing can set me off. I've never been a sulker and when I get mad I get mad, lose my temper and it's over -- until now.

OK I've stopped whinging now, thanks peeps.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Re PAWS I've been getting grumpy which is not like me, also I am forgetting words, not simple daily ones, but when I go to write something, I cannot thing of a word. I know that happens sometimes, but it seems to be happening a lot to me lately. Finally I am really suffering insomnia. I get off ok, but wake a few hours later and that me for hours. Usually I only have trouble getting to sleep if I have something on my mind, this is totally different and extremely tiresome! I need my sleep!!

Ho hum, just another fun thing to deal with as an ex alkie! On the plus side, I guess, it is still better than all the crap we put up with as drinkers!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Toots to me you and "grumpy" could never appear in the same sentence. Have you tried the lavender pillow spray for the insomnia?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I know it doesn't help right now ... but I know all the not-fun stuff like PAWS does indeed go away after awhile. We are still in early days, people. That's not meant to be discouraging! I find it helps me to know that sometime around a year-ish PAWS will be a nasty in the past :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
but when I go to write something, I cannot thing of a word.!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone!! thank you for the 5 month congrats.
Other than you guys know one actually knows the actual date.
they just know that I don't drink anymore . I keep a journal and I wrote in It last night. YAAAAAH ME !!!!! thanks again---I know darn well, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you guys. YOU ARE MY ROCK. !!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Hahahahahahahhahahaha!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey Marcher, you are right, I really don't do grumpy normally, but I am even getting tetchy and narky too! Not to mention grouchy. At one point I thought I was channelling Natty!!

I have tried lavender on my pillow, made me dream I had hay fever!!! Lol! Ach, I just need to wait it out. On the plus side, I'm getting to see how I'll look in a decade.

Sass as you wisely put it, all things shall pass.
And Babs, you too are a real support here, for many people, congratulations honey
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Marcher

I just love having people to suffer with me! Thanks guys!

Good morning, Marcher! You're just a little bowl of snapping turtle stew, aren't you! I am too. I got mad at my H yesterday when he didn't know what time the tardy bell will ring at my son's new school. Why can't he know everything, like I do?! So I apologized, and I've got to be nicer. Especially to him, he's been so patient and sweet during my recovery. Why must I be so mean? PAWS sux!
I'm so happy for you, Babs!