Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 16

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers. Oh Toots now I've got mascara everywhere just as I'm about to go to work, I look like Nudawn's avatar.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Me too Marcher..that was beautiful Toots.

I always wish for nothing but the best for everyone. I care about each and every person whoever had the courage to jump on here for no matter how long it was or goes on. I totally understand when folks move on too.

I'm not ready to go anywhere either Joy. I've just been super busy with work. Sometimes I just hop on and read.

I love our cafe vacations and I look forward to taking my turn when I get my work house cleaning done. Had to fire another one today. She is a mess and I fear there is no turning back for her. But you all know me. I just refuse to not look for a positive somewhere.

I don't know how this all happened but somehow I am now in charge of the whole restructuring. I will probably be replacing about 10 people by the time I'm done. Not my most favorite work duty but it has to be done. Good news is our sales numbers are starting to rock out of this world. Amazing how much business can done when you get rid of people thieving from you. Ugh, I have to shower every night the minute I get home. But another upside is how many of the staff have thanked me. Kids going to college, single parents. Makes me feel good to get a safe work place for people who want to work. It's how I put myself through college.

The bar restaurant business really isn't any different than any other and I've found for me, not being a drinker, it actually makes it easier to run one with my experience. I can spot a troubled soul a mile away now. Best thing I can do for everyone is get them out of there. Can't control what they do once they leave but I can control that bad sh*t ain't happening on my watch. People who just want to work don't have to deal with it and people who want to just drink themselves silly ain't leaving my place driving in a car. Interesting that the customers are mostly just families and business people after work relaxing a bit but some of the staff was just plain getting paid to party. Oh oh...under new management.

I'm not very popular right now but when I'm done I will have star team and we can all be proud to schlep the best burgers and pizza to 500 happy customers watching college football on 40 big screen TVs. That's my goal. Survive for football season!

I may have not worked for 8 months but I'm making up for it now!

Love you all!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear you sounding so good and positive Shoes. Sounds like you are exactly what that business needs. I picture you as a very capable, no-nonsense lady who is nonetheless gentle and kind when appropriate.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, today the best I could do was just be professional. The one that I got out today was a pro. She knew every trick in the book. She underestimated me. Checkmate.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Marcher

Shoes, once you finish ridding the place of the problems, it should be a pretty fun job to have. I think you are awesome!

Good morning Marcher!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers!

Just checking in to say all is well in parts North and that I keep you all close and sober even if I am not here as often. Thanks for the beautiful posts. I hope our founder, JimJim is okay.

Thanks always to Dee for keeping us up and running and civil!

Big love.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Big love to you too North, and to all my lovely Marchers and Dee.

Love this (and you) Shoes ...

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
and I've found for me, not being a drinker,
Taking my virus to bed early peeps, I'm much better but need an early night. Have a good Frisaturday.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Not only have I not been meaning to stay away, I've been meaning to write an epic saga of a post. I hope to get to that this weekend but for now I'll just say I have been sober -- just a few days shy of four months.

Love and hugs to all -- MORE TO COME . . .
Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Not only have I not been meaning to stay away, I've been meaning to write an epic saga of a post. I hope to get to that this weekend but for now I'll just say I have been sober -- just a few days shy of four months.

Love and hugs to all -- MORE TO COME . . .
Couldn't you just do it in bits? I've got the attention span of a gnat.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Couldn't you just do it in bits? I've got the attention span of a gnat.
Seriously Mesoso, he is not kidding! A goldfish outwitted him yesterday!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Seriously Mesoso, he is not kidding! A goldfish outwitted him yesterday!
What goldfish?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning peeps. NAtty I'm glad to report that when I viewed the page Marchers were at the very top of page one! Good to see you MeSo, have a good day all.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's more like it! How you feeling M?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good Morning Marcher! Get lots of rest this weekend and drink lots of fluids. We need for you to be well and baking and knitting for us.

Yeah, so I've been in a little bitty funk lately. Don't know why, but turning inward around family and feeling pity for myself, a little whiney. Been trying to stay occupied to pass the time through this. Just have a bit of a sense of dread about me. And everyone is getting on my nerves around here. I really want this to pass, because I was feeling so good for a long while and I want to feel that way again. I'm not craving drugs or alcohol.
It's hard to explain it any more than that, but I hope by putting it out there I will feel a bit better. There's nothing going on. Maybe that's the problem, there's nothing going on.
Plus, blah, blah, blah, me. Me, me, me, me, me. I, I, I, I, I.

There. That's a little better.

Carry on!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey JG

Go have a look at this thread. There's some articles linked which might help you understand why you're feeling a bit meh.

Oh and Im being rude on there as per

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2847-paws.html
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Having read the PAWS article ( I did read about paws a couple of months ago, but this refreshed me) I have a couple of questions I would appreciate any help

Re caffeine, do I really have to seriously consider stopping? I only drink it in the form of coffee, around 3-4 cups before noon. I love my coffee, I never get a buzz or feel remotely affected the way other folk say, but I did get bad headaches when I cut back years ago ( was drinking 10-12 cups a day) the only other thing I drink is fizzy water, so giving up my coffee would really affect my well being. Please don't suggest decaf, I have spent a fortune trying different ones and non taste like anything I want to drink regularly. I would rather go without.

Second, cooking with alcohol. I have been careful, even changing my mouthwash so that I don't inadvertently ingest alcohol, but the other day I picked up a mini bottle of wine to put in the beef bourgignon I was making. I wasn't sure when I picked it up, and have not even used bought sauces with wine in, but hubby looked so worried when I said, that I just gave it him to drink and made a different meal. What I seriously want to know is does alcohol totally evaporate in cooking, and even if the bit that gets you drunk evapourates, are the chemicals that affect the brain still there? Sorry if that sounds dense, but chemistry is so not my strong point, and I really do not want to jeapordise my sobriety having worked so hard to get here.

I am PAWING at the moment, my sleep is disturbed, and my exercise dropped due to temporary injury, so I am feeling more out of sorts than usual and recognise a lot of symptoms in myself.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a coffee drinker or an alcohol in cooking user so I have no experience there to share toots

alcohol in food is one of my bugbears tho - it doesn't cook out as much as people say it does.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

D
Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think I will just use some of the suggested substitutes from now on in cooking just to be safe.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Paws...

Hey Joygirl,
Feel free to PM me if you need to...
As for PAWS, IMO, and through my own experience, it exists. Chemically, our brains have been altered and have to repair themselves to the best of each of our own genetic ability/general health, and environmental factors.

You know, for anyone who has ever read the Big Book of AA, the authors identified PAWS way before it had a name. They called it "restless, irritable, and discontented." If that is not a representation of some paws symptoms I don't know what is.

There is research now that shows brain scans that can identify parts of the brains more clearly, and compares brains damaged by chronic alcohol abuse vs a "normal" brain.....

I am not trying to start a debate, since I believe each and every one of us is going to have our own unique experience as we recover, based on all of the above, and then some.
Toots, as for the coffee thing.... I do know for myself, I "pay" when I drink coffee, as opposed to my cuppa Earl Grey tea. I am more irritable, get a bit anxious, and my sleep is not as deep. However, there are days I will pay the price, since I like the charge of energy I get from coffee. Just my experience.