Notices

Class of May 2012 part 22

Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

WeHav, I want to give you a huge bear hug! If I had a child at camp I would want them to be with you! I can understand why the parents called to thank you. You knew what to do and did it and because of you this child has a good chance of growing up to be an adult. It can't get much better than that. As far as wanting a drink afterwards, I don't think that's surprising. We are accustomed to associating drinking with everything, especially strong emotions. But, you found out that you could be ok without that drink!

Remember that 6 months is just a number like any other and you don't need to drink. I think Jeni once said something like: there isn't anything alcohol can't make worse.

Hugs!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 36, and I've come back from seeing my counsellor. It looks as if I'll soon have 'finished', as there's only another six sessions to go. Ah well, all things must end, it seems. I've got mixed feelings about it to be honest. Some have been good, some not so good. I'm just wary that their going to say "Oh well, you're fine now." And while I'm getting there... I'm not there yet.

Yesterday I really felt like sh1t, and had to go back to bed, but my phone is now sorted. Honestly why do windows phones need to be rebooted so often? It wouldn't be so bad if I could take the battery out, but it's a sealed unit, so I can't. Grrr Argh.

OneLessLonely - glad you had a good weekend.

Jeni - I always enjoy your posts, rather than 'put up' with them. It sounds like you're doing well.

wehav2day - ((hugs)) You handled that really well, and almost certainly saved the kid's life. It's understandable that you thought of a drink. The important thing is not that you had the thought, but that you didn't act on it.

Saskia - good to hear from you. It's hard, at times, not having the energy we used to have when we were young, but it's just part of growing older. And it's better than the alternative.

Have a good day folks. And remember, our higher power won't give us anything we can't handle.

Love and Hugs to you all. And may your higher power go with you. x x
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

((Wehav2day)) - You did a wonderful job of saving that child's life. Your sobriety enabled you to do that. It's only natural that your brain would want relief or some type of reward mechanism after facing such a stressful event. I've experienced the same thing when my dogs went missing and I got them all back. As Em said the most important thing is that you didn't act upon it. Kudos to you for being there for that child, facing the stress of the situation head-on, sharing about the experience and staying strong in your sobriety!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

you guys are all awesome. thank you for telling me exactly what I needed to hear. I needed to know that others understand that messed up thinking, i'm not alone in this. that thinking had a pull, but I couldn't let it win.

as for the boy, if you are into praying or sending healing thoughts, please send them his way.

thank you so much for your perspectives.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 37. And it's another good day so far. I got a bit of writing done yesterday, which was both good and bad. Why bad? Because it takes me to a place I'm not comfortable. But it's part of the story of those characters, and, alas, I can't just write the bits I like and leave out the rest. They tell their stories, and I just write them down.

It looks as if one of the meetings I go to isn't going to be there after next week, which is sad. The problem is that there aren't enough people going, and there isn't anything anyone can do. If people don't want to go... well, you can't force them, can you?
Still, what's meant to be is what's meant to be, and all I can do is trust my higher power.

Have a good day folks. And remember that where we are is where we're meant to be. Even if it's just so that we come to understand that we need to do something about it.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wehav sounds like you did everything you were supposed to do and everything you could do. It sounds like a very scary situation and that was very nice of the parents to contact you and thank you. I think it's okay you default-thought about a drink afterwards. Like has been said, you did not act on it.
Emily I'm sorry to hear one of your meetings will be ending. Are you going to try out different ones that day?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

OneLessLonely - I'm thinking about which one to go to. I might switch from my night in being Wednesday to Tuesday instead. I dunno yet. There's time to think about it anyway. Hope things are well with you.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Emily, I hope you find a wonderful new meeting.

I got a phone call from my camper friend's dad again today. it's so kind of him to give updates. the boy is still in ICU, but he is making really good progress. they took him off anti-seizure meds and if his vitals stay stable he will be moved to the neurology floor. he's going to be in the hospital for many more weeks. but the doctors say he's making very good progress and they will start to get a picture in the next few weeks of how much function he can regain. he's still struggling, but there is a lot of hope.

if you care to include him in any prayers/meditations, i'm sure it would be great.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 38. I'm sitting down to try and get some writing done, but somehow... I don't know if it's that I'm not in the mood, or that none of my characters are talking to me or what. Either way, I'm not getting very far, and I'm finding things to do as a distraction.
I guess that's why I'm posting. Trying to clear some of the cobwebs from my brain.

Have a good day folks.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning, Mayans!

Em, I find every day a bit different and each has it's own challenges. I try to roll with it as much as I can . Congrats on Day 38 -- way to go!

WeHav, I'm so glad you are hearing from your camper friend's dad. With what you did for his son, I'm glad to hear he is keeping you in the loop. I will be praying for the boy's recovery! I'm still so inspired by your story of what happened and have thought about how different it could have been if you weren't sober. And that leads to many other thoughts about the importance of sobriety. None of us ever knows when we will be called on to make decisions/take action that will affect someone else's life in a major way.

Hugs!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon All,

Wehav - That is wonderful news that the boy is improving. I will keep him in my prayers!

OLL - I hope all is well with you and the workplace is not as hostile

Em - Congratulations on Day 38 Sometimes if you have writer's block - it's just wise to walk away and revisit it later.

Sas - You sound like you are doing great. So true, that every day is different and presents new challenges.

Since I recently celebrated my one year anniversary it was suggested that I might want to post my story on this site. I thought was a great idea. I need to really take and time and give it some thought. Tonight is my formal celebration at my speakers meeting. My friend Steve said that he would be there. I am a little nervous.

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Tanja, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!! One whole year, you are amazing!

So glad you are going for your celebration. You deserve it. And Steve coming, that makes it extra sweet.

Your positive energy for my young friend is greatly appreciated. He can use it and I'm sure it's helping.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Good morning, Mayans!

Em, I find every day a bit different and each has it's own challenges. I try to roll with it as much as I can . Congrats on Day 38 -- way to go!

WeHav, I'm so glad you are hearing from your camper friend's dad. With what you did for his son, I'm glad to hear he is keeping you in the loop. I will be praying for the boy's recovery! I'm still so inspired by your story of what happened and have thought about how different it could have been if you weren't sober. And that leads to many other thoughts about the importance of sobriety. None of us ever knows when we will be called on to make decisions/take action that will affect someone else's life in a major way.

Hugs!
Sassy, yeah I've shuddered to think of how that day could have gone if I wasn't sober. That's why I was so angry at myself for craving a drink after it was all over. You all telling me that it was perfectly normal given our disease really helped me get through the guilt without drinking. Now I can go back to the important parts, like praying for him, living sober, and hanging with sr peeps to stay that way!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Tanja, you'll do just fine tonight! Congratulations!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

WeHav, I think you are totally awesome!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon All,

My anniversary celebration was simply wonderful. My husband, twin sister and her fiancé all attended the celebration. Unfortunately, Steve wasn't there and that has me worried about him. I hope he just forgot. My two speakers were awesome. I received many congratulations, five touching cards and a gift of a ruby ring from my sister. To see people genuinely happy for me was so heartwarming.

I would like to give my appreciation to all of you for giving me such love, support and wisdom this past year. I simply could not have done it without you.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week-end.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Tanja,

So wonderful that you had family to celebrate with you!!! Sorry Steve was not able to be there. I'm sure he was with you in his thoughts.

You have worked very hard to reach this milestone and deserve all good things for your efforts and success.

I'm so happy for you!

Hugs,
Sass
Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

so glad for you Tanja

taking a few days off guys - just popped in to say hi and have a great weekend

D
Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Tanja, so glad your celebration was awesome!

Dee, enjoy your time off!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning to all my lovely friends.

Tanja-your meeting sounds fabulous, I'm just so happy for you, it's so thoroughly deserved. I know I've said it before, but I'm just in awe of the way you've managed it with your husband still drinking. I really couldn't deal with hat. Hats off to you xxx

Wehav-when are you coming over to England? Can't be long now? Are you looking forward to it? I hope you've been brushing up on your Yorkshire dialect, the mouthful of marbles way of talking takes some getting used to! Xxx

Sassy, Em...love and hugs to you xxx

Well, I've undergone a complete transformation...had my hair cut short (it's shoulder length usually), I've had to start wearing glasses (for which I blame my SR addiction...too many early morning squinting at my phone during crisis moments!), AND I've been cooking proper meals for my family. It's like I've been replaced by aliens. H had to do a double take when he got home after my haircut, I must admit I look totally different! LOL.

I've been spending most of my time at home, and have realised what a complete loner I am. Apart from my family and keeping in touch with SR I have no need for any human contact at all. I am such an introvert, and do you know what? That's ok. It's just the way I am. I haven't caught up with any of my friends since I've been off...in fact they wouldn't recognise me anyway now...ha!

Off to therapy later, that is continuing to go well, but is gruelling at times. I'm still having major cravings for cigarettes, but haven't given in...3 months now.

Apart from that....life is just ticking along just fine.

Oops...just remembered I promised not to ramble....

Love you all loads xxx