Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 3

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="Dee74;4093399"]I didn't use AA need - I just used SR, but I really had a burning desire to quit.

I think Dee nails it right on the head here: 'burning desire to quit'.

If you have that, it's far more powerful than any support group. The groups may help all of us in one way or another, but without such 'burning desire', our chances of success in sobriety are probably low. I'm pretty optimistic I have this desire at the moment, just hope that this desire is sustainable for the long term.

Happy to be closing out Day 15, holding strong:-)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Day 5 and doing pretty well. Can't believe July is almost over! I am pretty sure I will make it to 1 week as I do not want to have to join another class It is discouraging when I think about how I joined SR on April 1st and am only on Day 5. It has been harder and has taken me a lot more attempts than I thought. But, if I add up all of my sober days it makes me feel a little better. Have been sober 110 out of 120 days so I guess that is progress (considering I was drinking just about every other day before April)? Now I just need to figure out how to keep them consecutive. A minute/hour/day at a time for now.

Hope everyone is doing well! ((HUGS)) to all of you Be kind to yourself today - this is not an easy journey.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Smile

Originally Posted by Ladybug2;
Have been sober 110 out of 120 days so I guess that is progress

Hi my friend

I've been to a few classes myself , nope
Don't want to start over. The next class we'll join is the 1 year & Over Club

Whadya think

Tr
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm with you Riky! July is our class Great job on 17 days!!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

hey

i want to start getting sober again
havent been on SR for months
how do i get back into the swing of it
life has been hard and alcohol hasnt done anything good for me but destroy my life

my profile name is something i want to believe in

freedom!
thank you for reading

ytf
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

DAY 5
Tuesday 7.30 am

Woke up depressed/anxious and feeling very sorry for myself!
I've just spent an hour reading everyone else"s experiences and struggles which has helped me get my thoughts into perspective and made me realise how well I have done to get this far.
So the start of another sober day for me! Thank you SR for guiding me though this emotional journey.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Just a quick hello....

I'm on day 5....and so glad I've found this site
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome yestofreedom and silverbirch

D
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sober Monday felt soooo good! Still, I woke up great in the morning and was happy. I can't remember the last time I woke up happy! My brain cooperated with me all day as well. Although it was both a stressful and boring day, it was completely tolerable without the headache and reason-less anxiety following me around. About noon, I caught myself with an image of a drink right after I walk in the door. I had all afternoon to dream about all of the great things I could do with my evening. Since after work is a huge HALT danger period and my strongest trigger time, I had some caffeinated tea to wake up a bit before I left work. I poured myself a huge mineral water with ice and had a snack right away when I came home. It worked like a charm!

Highlight of my day? Being able to face myself in the mirror! Loved it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 11 is winding down. After work is also my big HALT time. I worked from home today so had dinner ready to go right away. If I get something in my tummy it makes all the difference. Tomorrow morning I have my alarm set early so I can get a walk in before showering. I have got to pick up on activity. I'm trying like heck to get this right.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Back from camping and back into cell phone range...have to catch up on what the class of July has been up to!

Just off to jump in the shower to feel human again, but had a GREAT weekend camping with my boyfriend and his huge family. Neither my boyfriend or I slipped. We brought flavored waters to drink and any time we were offered beer, wine, whatever we just said "no thank you" and that was the end of it. No need for big proclimations or explanations. And it was a great weekend, floating on the river, playing cards, hanging out with the family. As my boyfriend and I sat drinking coffee by the campfire this morning we both agreed how much nicer it was to be there without a smidge of hangover, and that the trip was better than last year when we were drinking.

Day 9 for me, day 5 for him.

Now for that shower!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi everyone..sounds like everyone is really getting through this and trying so hard! It is really so encouraging to me…

Ladaybug..I try to look at my sober time the same way. While I have been far from perfect, I have had more sober days than drinking days over the past year which is a sharp contrast to drinking just about every day for years and years. It’s progress. We will get there, in our own way, at our own time.

Emkay and Tryingharder, I’m beginning to think that hunger is just about my biggest trigger of all. 4-7pm is pretty rough, but if I think about it, those are usually the hours I’m most hungry too.

I worked pretty much all day and got so much accomplished! I spent so many years not understanding why I couldn’t seem to know where to start on big projects and struggling just to focus on the task at hand. If only I had realized how alcohol affects our brains over time, even if we aren’t drinking at the moment or hungover necessarily.

But about 5pm, I was hungry and ready for some wine. I started conniving ways to figure it out without my kids seeing. It would be a nice reward for working all day. I checked SR from my phone and read a few uplifting posts, then came home and I ate and the craving went away about 90%. It’s amazing how for about 2 hours a day, drinking can seem like the whole world to me. But before and after, I’m just fine. Except for the fact that I usually start thinking about bed at like 8pm, kind of like I just want the night over with. Not sure what to think about that, but it’s been like that throughout most of my sober stretches. Anyone else?

So thankful that we are all in this together. It is sooo hard and I’m not sure I could do it alone.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Oooops this is actually day 8 for me, not 9. I got ahead of myself!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
But about 5pm, I was hungry and ready for some wine. I started conniving ways to figure it out without my kids seeing. It would be a nice reward for working all day. I checked SR from my phone and read a few uplifting posts, then came home and I ate and the craving went away about 90%. It’s amazing how for about 2 hours a day, drinking can seem like the whole world to me. But before and after, I’m just fine. Except for the fact that I usually start thinking about bed at like 8pm, kind of like I just want the night over with. Not sure what to think about that, but it’s been like that throughout most of my sober stretches. Anyone else?

So thankful that we are all in this together. It is sooo hard and I’m not sure I could do it alone.
I am the same way, FABL. I start thinking about wine around 4pm and then, if I can make to 8, I am usually safe, but ready to call it a day. Hard to do with a 3 yr old who doesn't fall asleep until 10 or 11, though I used to love my nights (when drinking) and now they just sort of loom ahead of me. Hope this changes as I get more comfortable with my sobriety.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new to SR and I want to join the class of 2013-July

happy to be here and happy to be sober

sleep time - see y'all tomorrow!

and thanks for being here, trish
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Trish

D
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Pam, where are you???
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hi all! July 29 today is my sober day! Can't wait to get to know you all!

Reposted for awesomeness: "I think Dee nails it right on the head here: 'burning desire to quit'.

If you have that, it's far more powerful than any support group. The groups may help all of us in one way or another, but without such 'burning desire', our chances of success in sobriety are probably low. I'm pretty optimistic I have this desire at the moment, just hope that this desire is sustainable for the long term."
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread LLG

D
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I love the commonalities between us all here. We truly are in this enormously rewarding struggle together!