Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 3

Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Just checking in on Day 4. It is a rainy Sunday here so not doing much. Hubby is working on a project in the basement - in this past this would have been a "green light" for me to drink. I hid it a lot from him and feel guilty for that, but I am realizing that THAT is what we alcoholics do and I need to let go of the guilt and move forward. I don't ever want to go back to those old, deceitful ways. I feel so much better about myself when I am sober and honest.

Hope everyone is having a pleasant and sober Sunday. Sounds like a lot of us are staying strong and doing well, yay! For those who are struggling or on their Day 1's - just keep coming here and reminding yourself of those awful hangovers. That is what has kept me sober this weekend.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
I FINALLY MADE DAY 1!! I am convinced that the real beast is that first drink. Although yesterday was "antsy" I wasn't obsessed with the urge to drink. The obsession is the worst, I think. It is very good to wake up this morning sober.
Great job, Pamel! So happy to hear it. Each day will get a little bit easier. How are you doing today? Stay close
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 4 here also! Last night I told myself I'd drink today because I start outpatient tomorrow, but sleep and something someone else on another thread said snapped me out of it. It was something along the lines of, "why drink? it's not fun anymore, anyway." Very true. It's not. It's sad and sneaking and unfeeling, and dangerous, and hurtful to my family. Why do I deserve that? Why does my family?

Reading Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife now. I can't recommend it highly enough to women. Either with or without kids. I keep thinking I wrote the damn thing in another life or something. So much rings true. I'm not done with it yet, but so far, so good.

Anyway, my weekend alone with the kids is finishing up strongly. I know it's early still, but my afternoon is all planned out until Eric comes home.

I'll check in later.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yay to all of us for being here instead of drinking! I thought I'd feel better today, but boy have I been a crab. I thought I'd get a lot done, but I guess I'm just going to have to do what needs doing for now. I'm still trying to pack! Luckily, I've been looking forward to this trip so much that I'd already done the laundry, set aside clothing for the whole family, went grocery shopping and made a list weeks ago! Maybe my family can solve some of their own problems, and maybe I don't have to do absolutely everything? Nah, that's for another day. I'll do what I can. It's always better to be here and not drinking than be anywhere and drinking! I won't be sitting on the couch forever!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good for you Amanda, doing outpatient. I think you will like it and not to drink the night before is awesome.

Day 2 is pretty well along now, so I feel confident that I will get to 3. A great feeling.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post

LucilleBluth: Your username makes me want to make many Arrested Development jokes but most of them would be inappropriate for in here, I guess. So congrats on day 27!

27 days? Her?
Casey - I don't understand the question and I'm not responding to it.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, it's great to see our class growing with all the newcomers!

Day 26 for me. I think this is the first day that I feel a bit better, not flat, nor irritable, so I'm happy about that.
I've been using yoga breathing to help me when I feel anxious, and I try to visualize my internal organs being healed and revived away from alcohol.

I wonder if a day will ever come when bottles of booze will have pics of damaged livers, other organs, like cigarette pkts do now? Anyway, I try to visualize this on a bottle of wine, or the skull and crossbones for poison.

Take care all, onwards to another sober week!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Start of Day 4 for me today. I got through the weekend with ease, apart from a couple of pangs yesterday for a glass of wine. In the past the first few days have been hell....especially day 3, so I'm expecting that this will be the calm before the storm! Just reading everyones struggles on here and how many of you are now back to Day 1 is a reminder of how vigilant and strong I have to remain.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Day 20 is drawing to a close for me. That means 3 weeks tomorrow which I am very pleased with. I've been hitching a ride on my sister's life this weekend. I've been visiting and I went to her AA meeting and out for curry with her sober friends. Tomorrow I go back to my own life to build my own solid sober foundation.

Lots of positivity here on this thread. X
Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone..just catching up and seeing how everyone is doing..and it sounds like so many of us are racking up the days. Welcome to the newcomers and anyone getting through that first day.

I have been a little unsettled all day. Heading back to work tomorrow, my summer vacation is over and I usually drink on nights like this, kind of my last toast to vacation. And then I just saw some pictures of some old friends back home out at the bars on the boardwalk drinking, of course. So that made me feel like my life is boring. UGH. I'm not even a social drinker anymore, so sometimes my thoughts don't even make sense.

I thought of drinking some wine a bunch of times today and now it seems my night is just looming ahead of me, with nothing but chores and responsibilities to get ready for the week. I will get through it but right now I'm just feeling strange. I guess it goes with the territory in these early days. Our bodies and minds need to adjust. I just keep thinking of how I would feel tomorrow morning, that's just about all that is getting me through because I want to drink NOW>
Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Welcome to everyone who has joined the last few days!

Pamel- congrats on making it through day one!! Keep checking in on here and stay strong!

I'm winding down day 28. Almost a month, I can't believe it. I had some cravings on Friday but I talked myself through them, came on here and read a lot. That was the first time I wanted to drink since sometime during week 2. Nothing really triggered it, I think it was just boredom/habit. I'm happy I was able to recognize that and move on. I value the changes my sobriety has brought me thus far and I don't want to throw that away.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
It took until day 4 to feel even human enough, or steady enough to leave the house. The insomnia was a killer too. I have attended 3 AA meetings to date. I am feeling better physically, and yes, am eating like a horse but am so tired. I spend a lot of time in bed reading and sleeping. I have to get some chores done tomorrow whether I want to or not! Do you have a recovery plan? Are you attending meetings?

The gym sounds like a great plan, I may just start by taking the dog for a walk
Hmm...both good questions.

My recovery plan is 1 day at a time & trying to reprogram my way of life without alcohol.

As far as meetings, haven't been to any yet. Reading this forum it seems a lot of folks are going to meetings. This has me wondering, maybe I should go to.

Day 8 is just about in the books. I'm in for another 24.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Kys

Hi everyone, I hope you're well!

Having some minor withdrawals today, I've got medication to help with the brunt of it though. I was sick of alcohol yesterday when I felt fine and so I'm especially sick of it now, what this must do to the body is an eyeopener.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hopefully my last drink was today but I say that everynight...I hope one day it will stick really hate drinking but can't stop
Old 07-28-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Needabetterlife, don't quit quitting! Keep trying until you find something that works for you. Reaching out is a great first step. Keep reading about what works for people, and what makes sense to you. Keep posting. There's a lot of freedom without alcohol! Glad you are here
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Ty...feels good to know I'm not alone
Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can do this needabetterlife

D
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Where do I start? Don't want to go to AA
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Kys, I feel the same way. I had some pretty strong withdrawal symptoms today, and a few days ago I was sure I wasn't drinking enough to be physically dependent. Today, though, my body is fighting back for a full recovery!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Originally Posted by TnRobert View Post
Day 8 is just about in the books. I'm in for another 24.
TnRobert SR helps me a lot , Congrats on day 8

Thanks to all who have supported me , Day 17 is un the books

Tr