Notices

Class of July 2013 Pt 3

Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Well guys, its now reaching the stage when I can't remember how many days sober and I have to go back to my previous post to remember......is that a good or bad thing? Good in that I'm becoming less obsessed with the number of days, or bad because of early onset Alzheimers? Anyway, whichever, I'm still sober.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Sicknote, I have had similar experiences. One older woman told me I would never succeed because I was not doing 90 in 90. I explained that for the first three days I was way too sick to get out of the house. Heck, I couldn't even manage a shower or keeping water down my detox was awful and scary. I am thankful to be alive. I then tried to explain how I use SR for additional support and that did not go well. I continued going to that meeting because it is so hard for me to walk into new places. I have not gone every day. This past Friday I tried a new group and really like it, ironically I was hesitant because it is held at my church. I wish this group met every night but I will attend each Friday.

Although I am still not sure about AA the one thing that has me hanging on is that it was the only thing that worked for my dad who was a lifelong alcoholic. He had been in treatment at some of the best rehab facilities in the country and never lasted more than a year. When he was 62 we did an intervention and sent him to a private facility, cash only, specifically tailored to lifelong alcoholics. He walked out after five days and walked into an AA club. He remained sober until his death 3 years later. He was very involved. I do believe working the steps, not specifically the ones relating to a higher power but the resentments, moral inventory and amends are crucial to remaining sober. I do not know if I will continue attending AA or work through those steps on my own. Time will tell but what I am doing now seems to be working.

Congrats to every one who made it through the weekend.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I will have 28 days. I am very grateful for that. There is still a part of me that wants to curl up in the corner and sob but the rest of me feels positive and optimistic about the future. X
Old 08-04-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Re-Member

So I was on my way to a meeting just now and two blocks from my destination this old man ran a 4-way stop sign and crashed into the passenger side of my dad's car that I have been driving lately because my own car was repossessed a couple of months ago. No one was hurt but my dad's car is not drivable now. The other driver admitted from the start that he just plain ran the stop sign and it was his fault and that's how the cops wrote it up. He had insurance. We did too.

My dad can say things without thinking at times and I've hurt him badly with my actions/alcoholism in the recent past so while he's trying to put on a reasonably happy face right now I'm having all this inner turmoil and stress because I just know he's mad at me. Even though he's probably not. Not having thoughts of drinking but...I don't know...just not in a good place mentally right now.

I need to remember that I did nothing wrong in this situation--the wreck was not my fault. I need to let this go and stop dwelling on it. I need to be grateful no one was hurt.

I ended up not going to the meeting, just came home instead. Probably should have stayed.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Glad nobody got hurt.
There's really no reason for him to be mad at you, it was the other drivers fault.
It's pretty shaky to be in an accident like that. I can see why you skipped.
Hopefully the car will be fixed up quickly and you can keep using it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Speaking of the July class, how many are we now? We should make some kind of pact to keep this going no matter what. I probably haven't provided as much good advice and support as some of our group but plan on being here and checking in for as long as we can keep this train rollin'. After being in two classes prior to this one, this time is by far the most important as this is the first time I've made it through to the next month. I've come to rely on you guys even if its just a place to vent at times or share some thoughts. Hope we can keep it going:-)
I second this, SM! I hope we can keep thid thread active and busy this month and many months to come. I need you guys

Day 3 over - had a really great day celebrating my mom's bd. We are super close and did a lot of wine drinking together over the years , but I have told her the truth about my problem and she has been very supportive. I get sad sometimes when I think about how we'll never be able to enjoy a glass of wine together, but there are a lot of other more meaningful things we can enjoy. Let's face it, I usually ended up not remembering our conversations or times together and there is nothing special about that. Life is too short.

So grateful for the sober weekend. In bed now with my daughter curled up beside me sound asleep. Life is good. Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're OK Casey

D
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I'm still here, wrapping up on day 15.

Really like the way I've been feeling lately, good energy & been very active.

Still getting used to being sober, after 20 + years of being drunk it feels like a curtain slowly opening letting in the light.

Changes are subtle & sometimes barely noticeable, however looking back it is obvious things are starting to get better mentally & physically.

Learning to live life again & without booze is going to take some time for me. Been doing this on my own so far & have dug real deep for will power & commitment. Hoping to be here for the long haul.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Casey - glad you are okay!

Ending day 15 here! And my boyfriend's day 11! We had a great weekend! Went to the beach, the movies (Two Guns - love Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington!) and the A's game. First baseball game after we've stopped drinking. Maybe it is an exaggeration on my part at just two weeks sober but it is amazing how you are practically assaulted with beer stands and places to buy cocktails at the ball park! My favorite souvenier shop also has been turned into a "pub" at the ball park. I'm proud of us though - we both had large sodas (more than I needed really - easily a quart of Dr. Pepper in that huge cup!)

Well off to sleep...keep it up Class of July 2013!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Been a few days since I checked in,, been busy moving house & glad to say its just about done. There was some stress to be sure & one major run in with my wife,, which had me thinking, " to hell with this, I'm getting hammered '. I held out though as I've drank so many times over the last few years on those type of reactions and they were never ever good decisions. I've also quit the smokes 4 days ago which has me extra tense. I have to be careful I'm not quitting both too soon,, if I can maintain this though ill have banished two substances from my life which were only causing long term damage & that's a neat achievement. Best to all.
Ando
Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ando68 View Post
Been a few days since I checked in,, been busy moving house & glad to say its just about done. There was some stress to be sure & one major run in with my wife,, which had me thinking, " to hell with this, I'm getting hammered '. I held out though as I've drank so many times over the last few years on those type of reactions and they were never ever good decisions. I've also quit the smokes 4 days ago which has me extra tense. I have to be careful I'm not quitting both too soon,, if I can maintain this though ill have banished two substances from my life which were only causing long term damage & that's a neat achievement. Best to all.
Ando
Great work Ando!! Giving up two vices at once is commendable...keep it going. I only smoked when I drank and the last time for both was 22 days ago now. I was a beer drinking, social smoking, marathon runner. Talk about trying to have it all! Typical selfish addict I guess;-). Anyways, great to be free of all that crap, once and for all.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hi guys. Im glad to see all of your success stories. I had a clean weekend , no drugs I'd like to respond to each of you individually but no time right now. I'll be here tonight though and look forward to posting . I'm struggling today with anxiety brought on by the thoughts of digging myself out of the financial whole I've dug .

Tt
Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hey LuLu13. Thank you for sharing your AA experience. Glad you found one that works for you, that's awesome I guess I've not not found one that I fit into. I'm going to see how I get on. I'm keeping myself so busy right now that I think I might be ok. I'm cleaning, fixing stuff, getting active, keeping on top of life and it feels good. So I'm going to see how I get on, if I need to go back to AA I will I guess

I'm looking into activities to keep me afloat. I guess I am being quite selfish, thinking of myself again and what I need, but I've really beaten myself up inside, I think I deserve to love myself a bit. If I can just get stable in someway, I don't want the world, I just want to feel more at ease then I'll be strong enough to deal with stuff. Something hurts inside, things are broken in my life that I think of a lot, I can't fix them, I'm trying trying to let it go, and hoping to speak to a councillor in a few months.

Day 12 for me!! sober! Might not sound like much bit its a long time for me. I feel great, well... might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm better than before anyway. Going to get life back on track

SoberMarathon & Ando - I'm a social smoker too, I've found I had the odd puff of cig without alcohol recently, it doesn't feel the same.

Stay classy peeps!

sicknote.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi all, happy Monday! Day 7 and feeling great, have a great day :-)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

trikyriky - Glad I just read your post! yeah, I'm thinking of how I should be digging myself out of a huge whole I've dug. The anxiety and fear is overwhelming, paralysing at times. Maybe we should be looking at small steps to chip away at the bigger problem I might start looking into how I should fix things rather then burying my head in booze

sicknote.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

hey ya Jimuk! Happy day 7 to you!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

hey everybody! sounds like everyone is going really well!!

i went camping this weekend and it was great. i went w/my BF, our kids (we have one each), and my friends who brought their niece. they originally said they would be dry for me but they ended up drinking beer. i never once even felt tempted!

i brought some ginger beer and root beer for myself and honestly only drank a few of those. the kids loved my beverages, lol, and drank most of them. i stuck to water and coffee! my BF drank 4 beers the second night, got up in the middle of the night to use the outhouse, and knocked his glasses into the horrifying muck! this morning he actually admitted if he hadn't been drinking beer that wouldn't have happened. (because he wouldn't have had to pee so much, he said. mhmm!)

anyway it was a wonderful weekend. i've got 16 days now and i feel really great. my BP is now normal, despite eating some pretty salty pizza over the weekend. i did all these things last year to lower my BP...even became a vegan. Guess all I needed to do was give up the booze!!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ando68 View Post
Been a few days since I checked in,, been busy moving house & glad to say its just about done. There was some stress to be sure & one major run in with my wife,, which had me thinking, " to hell with this, I'm getting hammered '.
Good for you ando68. Way to stay strong!

That happened to me on Saturday and I did not handle it as well as you. I was so mad, I said the heck with this and ran to liquor store. While I didn't get hammered, I did drink. With that being said, I am back at day (1) today. Fortunately, I did not go overboard and that took a lot of effort.

My wife get nuts this time every year. She is a teacher and once August hits, she starts planning for the beginning of the year and gets very stressed out and usually takes it out on me. And our son is going to Kindergarden next month, so, she's all over the place.

I feel pretty guilty today.

I just cannot get into a grove. Everytime I do, there is some trigger lately...ugh.

Although, I have done something I've never done before and that is come right back here afterwards. Usually I get down on myself and just say, "whatever" while feeling guilty and then you don't see me for weeks. So, I'm making progess!

Well, stay strong Juilans (I certainly need to).....B.r....TBML
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 30... Feeling great.

I don't post all that often, but i enjoy reading what you all have to say. Thanks for your inspiration :-) it's awesome.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

It's day 11 for me.
The weekend went by without any issues.Yesterday,a kind of depression washed over me during the afternoon.But,I kept busy and sure enough it went away.I'm always amazed at how many things I'll get accomplished when I'm sober.

Ended up taking the family to a local golf course for ice cream.They had a driving range there and we all took turns driving balls.It was lots of fun to laugh at each other missing or slicing the ball.The day ended with a beautiful sun set.

In the past I would have hid out down in my basement room cave and drank.So glad I've decided to re-enter the land of the living.