Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 17

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

10 years ago tonight I had my first black out. I woke up knowing something had changed, but I kept drinking anyway. Just about hitting the 5 month mark. Had I not quit when I did I am pretty sure I would have graduated from abuser to dependent right about now. The last time I drank my hands shook uncontrollably. This will be my first independent Independence Day in quite awhile. It's pretty awesome on this side. This site really helped me through those first dark days.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

hi guys just checking in. It's great reading all you posts and seeing peeps hit milestones--WWG--big congrats on day 100!!

Sometimes I read about people struggling and wonder if it's even worth it to try to give up drinking, and then I read this page and I'm always re-inspired by the people on it. So, I'm re-inspired. Thanks to you all!!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We are on our way to see my family, and just got a message from my sister that my brother in law was diagnosed with MS. He's 34, life just seems unfair at times. Please send a prayer to him if you could.
Matthew
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

WWG, if your parents are your best friends and you know you can trust them, why not share your good news with them? Why leave them out of your loop? We need all the good support we can get. I am terribly sorry about your brother in law. I will be praying for him and his family (and for wisdom for his doctors).
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

BF, aw man I know about night time classes. D: It throws your whole internal clock into confusion. I felt that way when my work schedule was so late too. Yes 2 weeks. So close.

Hey Samich! I was thinkin' about you this morning. I feel the same way about this forum. Check in more often. I think you'll find sobriety IS worth it. I struggled with that for a while. Like, "I'm never going to succeed at this, I may as well give up now" SO glad I kept going. Now somehow I have over 5 months. Keep it going. And I'll repeat this, Check in more often

Hi Silentrun.

WWG, sending prayers his way, and to the rest of the family. <3
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well, made it through yesterday without smoking so that gives me 8 whole days clean & sober so far. Thanks everyone for the congrats and encouragement!

It's day 86 no drinking and day 184 no cigarettes. Lots of 8's today! (Although technically yesterday was the 8th day no weed, today will be day 9, but only if I make it through it, so I'm not calling it that until it's done.)

melivin- thanks for the reminder that we ALL need to stay hydrated. I think eating well and drinking lots of water are important for everybody, but especially for us ex-addicts. I've read that eating well and drinking lots of water helps with PAWS and that getting too hungry or dehydrated can really make it worse.

WWG- I just told my mom a couple of days ago that I quit drinking. She had no idea I even had an alcohol problem. I think it's best to tell people if you can... that way they shouldn't be offering you drinks and can be understanding and supportive.

Grace- love your posts, hope we won't be hearing from you any less... maybe just at different hours!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You are in my thoughts WWG...

Slow march to the 90th day still going.... 88 down.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

DG No joke. Got so wrapped up in my work schedule and trying to stay awake for the hum-drum job. *sigh* Won't be forgetting that any time soon that's for sure!!! And that's how I'm counting too. When I wake up, I make a check mark on my mirror for the day before that I made it through sober.

DRAKE!!! 2 days!!!! Other than that, how are things?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Undies. You've been so busy here)

Welcome to new members!

WWG - sending my thoughts to you and your family. Life is unfair, and it's really hard thing to accept. But you are sober, and can help you family. Hold on.

My best wishes to all!

To the American part of the gang - have a great sober July 4!

Samwich - it's definitely worth to give up drinking! Whatever life keeps in store, there's always a new day, and a new sunrise, and a new hopes and opportunities which we miss drinking or suffering from hangover. So, one day at a time, my friend)
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 209 here and I'm actually posting at a reasonable time for a change as I have an unexpected night off...The catch is I have tonight off but I have to work 14 hour shifts for the next 12 days without a day off so I'm gonna be a busy boy the next 2 weeks...Just treated myself to a huge take away for dinner and now I'm feeling stuffed.....

WWG great job on hitting 100 days and I'm also saying a prayer for your brother..Yes life is unfair as I have a friend whose 10 month old baby girl died 2 days ago after a long battle with a heart condition...Very very sad.

Drake nearly there are the 90...You're doing great...

Grace I miss you....Get your a$$ back here when you can....

DG you are amazing....Keep it up....

Everyone else including the newbies,melvin,samwitch,gilmer,tanja,sober jennie and anyone I have missed, we are all great....This is such a great class to be in...

And also all the American classmates HAPPY 4TH JULY......

Take care all.....Steve.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I just finished a pain-in-the-butt paper that I had been procrastinating, so I'm celebrating by stopping by SR. I am finally finished both Summer "A" classes.

For the rest of the week I have to read eight textbook chapters (four of which are very boring) and watch three hour-long, extremely boring lecture presentations that meander and say essentially nothing.

I'm really disappointed I took this new class (Issues in Counseling). It's one of my last two classes, so I took one that I thought would be interesting and easy--WRONG!

Wouldn't you think that a counseling class would be invigorating? Au contraire!

My other last class is Archaeology. It's hard with lots of research, but at least it's ABOUT something. I like subjects with facts.

No wonder my advice is generally not helpful--I have no aptitude for the counseling field!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

We're going to see a legend in concert tonight, Bob Dylan. Haven't ever seen him live. I'm not the hugest of fans but when these older singers and bands come around, I try to see them now because, well, they are getting old...

We saw Steely Dan last summer... omg, love them!! I've always loved their songs and style, in person they were spectacular. My husband was bored out of his mind and couldn't understand my being enthralled... he barely remembered the old songs. I bought all their cd's when I was in college. They're before my time, but I always loved them. I think they're brilliant.

We also saw Neko Case. I like her songs a lot. She was pretty good in concert. She's got that haunting dream-like quality going on.

So we're off to brave the incoming storms tonight in hopes of catching a glimpse of this legend... I'm really curious. Wonder if he'll bore me to tears or not.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Gilmer, what degree are you going after?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Stevie... 209 days, amazing! And 14 hours shifts?? Oh dear.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Drake, only 2 more days til 90 Wtg!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Matthew, so sorry to hear about your brother in law's diagnosis. Sending good vibes your way.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

A highly marketable one (not)--a bachelors in religion. I started back in online courses after an absence of thirty years.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
A highly marketable one (not)--a bachelors in religion. I started back in online courses after an absence of thirty years.
Haha, I hear ya I have a degree like that, Philosophy. Lol. Congrats to you for going for it again after 30 years! That's great.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I really liked philosophy, too. I also really liked Steely Dan when I was in college the first time around--and they were totally current then!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I really liked philosophy, too. I also really liked Steely Dan when I was in college the first time around--and they were totally current then!
Yeah, I got into philsophy by accident really... took an Ethics class one semester as an elective. I was working on a Psychology degree. Anyway, ended up liking it so much I double majored.

Steely Dan... guess it's not for everyone. But I just think they are so unique. I'm a jazz lover anyway though.