Notices

Class of June 2013 Pt 4

Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

My point, exactly Junegirl :-)

And, no, I shouldn't sound as I'm critical of being weight-conscious. In fact, if I'm really honest about it myself, I actually hate the heavy feeling of extra weight, the flabby heavy feeling - and having so few clothes that therefore feel comfy. Part of my trouble too is connected with having emphysema from smoking; not only is it getting worse based on a lung scan I had a couple of months ago, meaning my lungs are more inflated - making most clothes esp ladies' underwear :-) feel very constricting - but more difficulty in breathing makes doing exercise very difficult.

Hence, one of the best things for weight, general well being and mood - especially when getting sober - seems that much more difficult than it would otherwise be. I really hope I can eventually kick the cigs; even then, your lungs never really recover the way our livers can. It would just mean that it doesn't get any worse!

But as many will attest, cigs are actually the hardest drug to give up - and doubly hard for alcoholics or people with psych conditions (like me and many others here).

sheesh!

meantime, I still stand by having some nice cheese - if nothing else, as a daily dose of protein and calcium if you can tolerate dairy. And it's yummy! They ended up banning it in the rehab I was in, because everyone was craving it and snacking on those little packaged squares of it from the patients' fridge! Hiding it even! Haha, ya gotta laugh or you'd cry about us, eh?!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

The snacking/hiding and craving cheese makes sense to me. There are substances in dairy that are similar in chemical make-up to morphine. It's to induce attachment between calf and mama cow. Though the levels are minute in dairy, they're a bit more concentrated in cheese. Minute levels or no, my brain goes *PING!* to anything that brings a chemical-induced pleasure hit, however small. I used to go through a 2 lb block of cheese in a week...and had a cholesterol level of 254 to show for it. I just have to stay away from it. Good grief.

Hey BMS, I had a 1-2 pack a day habit for years. I thought I'd be one of those old folks carting around an 02 tank. I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking and haven't smoked since. A fantastic book.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ATKR

D
Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Thanks MTN and Dee, and welcome AkTR :-)

Did someone mention cheese???
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good on you Dylan! Yeh, I appear to be one of those recividists / recalcitrants or whatever when it comes to quitting and staying quit from both fags and drink.

Read the (Carr) book? Check. Seen the movie? Check. Having said that, a lot of people who've really 'got' AVRT as a technique for quitting drinking also mention Carr's book on quitting drinking as being similar. Separating the voices and such.

I'm still workin' on that! Not least because I do know I might end up on the oxygen tank. One of the old timers at some local AA mtgs I've gone to is 80 y.o. and has to get around in a full electric chair all hooked up to his little oxygen tank apparatus. For that very reason. He's been sober 40 years or something though!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

mornng everyone. day 18 here ( it seems incredible that i am even typing that!).

i feel like a bag of shite today

still, does a very sore throat excuse ice cream? why, yes! yes, i think it does!

welcome to the newbies, and here's to a peaceful day for everyone.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

oh, and a happy, sober 4th to all in the US!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Doing the time

Originally Posted by Levitz View Post
Summer days are a tough temptation . Wanting to chase the "happiness"
Even though that happiness may be short lived
Every time we stick to our promise we get stronger and tougher
And it gets easier
We gotta " do the time"
Here is to a Sober 4th !!!
Hi I am on day 5 and constantly battling my AV how long does it take to ease???
Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I am sober since 30th!!!

Originally Posted by ATKR View Post
I'm a little late to post but I'm also in the June Class. I've been sober since the 28th. I am feeling great and getting a lot accomplished around the house. I feel like I have a lot more energy and I feel good about myself.
Just made into June class!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sunny

I wish I could tell you it was day 6...but it's likely to be a while longer.
to be honest the first month was pretty rough for me - but your mileage may vary

I dunno about you but I drank for years - however long it takes, it's gonna take more than 5 days to learn a new way of doing things

D
Old 07-04-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Sober today

Thought I would type alittleabout where I am as I am at work very bored!!! I think its great to have a mini forum of June class as we are all roughly at the same stage of staying/getting sober! I had my last drink on 30th and my husband still isn't speaking to me...but I am putting that to oneside and focusing on me and my power to recognise but not act on my AV. You see I love drinking I love the buzz BUT once I start I can't stop and my wheels always come off. The horrible consequences of me taking that first drink fay out weigh the momentary pleasure I now get. For me every time the thought 'it would be lovely to have a couple of glasses of wine' enter my head I think 'yeah I loved drinking but it it always ended in carnage deression guilt remorse anxiety fear and som much more'.... it is not worth the short buzz... I was good at drinking before it took over and a happy drunk but in the end I was reduced to necking drink in the loo of a function we were at! At day 5 I am feeling good/happy/healthier/ less tired , however its hard to stay positive when my husband is just waiting for me to drink again, why should he believe me , he has heard it all before. BUT this time I really feel different so 'clear of beast voice you came scream all you like I will never ever drink again,, and I am not changing my mind)' Happy sober 4th of July from Ireland!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Welcome sunny! I'm now on day 17 and I do have some days now that I don't have to battle with my av at all. Certain triggers still set it off though and i still stress out about weekends. What I have noticed now though is that in the first week I had to get in my pjs really early in the evening and as soon as my kids were in bed I'd go too so I wouldn't have any tenptation. The last few nights I've been up til around 10.30-11 ish at peace without any alcohol which is really nice.

Good luck!

Morning ippo! Just one day behind you! Hope the ice cream helps the throat!!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Won't it be great to prove your husband wrong sunny?! My boyfriend didn't think I could do it either and is really impressed with me now and has started to be very encouraging. Good luck to you, your story sounds like mine x
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 5, Sunnyc5 and welcome to the June group!

BMS - I read the Stop Drinking book. It did nothing for me. In it, I remember the author stating that all drinkers end up not being able to control their drinking, that it's just an addictive poison. I see where he was trying to go - he said the same thing with smoking. But drinking...I didn't agree with that cross-over argument, and he lost me.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Morning! Well not really... flipping Virgin Media. I know they're supposed to be updating the TV service in the area but no need to cut the internet off surely. Anyway!

Hope everybody is ok, how is your husbands leg LB?

DD and I have had a productive day (see what happens with no internet?!) We've made biscuits (sort of) and cupcakes. Played Just Dance on the Wii - curtains definitely shut for that one. The sun has come out with a vengeance so I reckon I'm going to fill the paddling pool.

Catch up later assuming I'm not cut off again. Trying not to think about drinking, although the sunshine is always a huge temptation (and the rain and the snow!) Just trying to think past it to Sunday which will be 3 weeks
Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good morning mtn!

Don't know whereabouts in uk you are but the weather forecast here is amazing for the next 10 days, so hopefully that paddling pool will be out for a while, we'll be getting ours out too if its all true!!

Sun and warm weather also a big trigger, surprise surprise! Already got bbqs planned for weekend yippee but been experimenting with lots of soft drinks recently, particularly enjoying pomegranate with 7up at mo. my daughters like it too, it's nice that I don't have to panic about them picking up and drinking my drinks anymore!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Bored!!!

God work is so quiet thank goodness for this forum I cant go on chat on work computer!!! I am in Ireland unfortunately not paddling pool weather yet!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I started taking bee propolis a couple of days ago and I seem to have more energy and motivation. It's worth looking into for those who believe in natural supplements. The thought of red, red wine hasn't even entered my head so far today.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Well I drank last night.

It started with me wanting just one and didn't end well. I don't know how much I drank because I blacked out, vomitted this morning, and have a killer headache and the shakes now. Looks like I ate some cupcakes that I don't remember.

I am never drinking again (she said a million times before).
Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

BMS, that's pretty funny about people sneaking the cheese. And that's some pretty interesting stuff, Dylan. I know loads of people who are addicted to their cheese...
I'm glad I never got hooked on cigs. I know way too many people who have struggled to kick the habit and haven't been able to. Life is getting harder and harder for them cause in New England in US, where I live, smokers are not welcome anywhere. What's more, a pack is about $10 bucks. Don't know how anyone can afford to smoke. This on top of the health issues...

June