Class of June 2013 Pt 3

Old 06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Off to bed on day 3, excited to wake up sober again tomorrow
Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone achieving a milestone

for everyone struggling - why not think about what else you need to do - it could be something really simple - the smallest ripple can end up a mighty wave

think outside the box - if you haven;t tried a recovery group, now might be the time, or seeing your Dr, or counselling...it could be as simple as making a commitment that no matter what today I will not drink, I will not use alcohol in an attempt to solve my problems

we can all do this

D
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Smile

A week ago at this time, I was well into the first few of MANY beers that I would end up drinking that night. As the night went on, I became more depressed, more agitated and finally reached the point where I told my husband that I needed help, not just a hug & words of comfort, but serious medical help. He drove me to the ER, I was admitted, and thus began my recovery.

7 days later and I feel as if my world has changed so much. No more waking up with baggy eyes and retching at the mere sights & smells of certain things. No more ignoring the kids and hiding away from them. No more blackouts and trying to remember what I did or said the night before.

I realize it's only a week, but I am staying optimistic. This is the longest amount of time I have been sober in the past 5 years. I still have hurdles to overcome with anxiety, but I've made appointments with both my PCP and a counselor tomorrow.

I would like to thank everyone on here for all of the inspiring and thoughtful posts. They really have helped me make it through this week.

Sorry for the long post...sometimes I just get a little too wordy.

Congrats to all of those who have stuck with it. Together we can do this!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Ugh.

Tonight we talked about the 4th step and how it can be freeing and rid of us anger, fear, and a whole bunch of other stuff....I'm paraphrasing. lol

Anyway, my dog's trainer made me so mad tonight and I can't stop venting about it to anyone who will listen. It's not even a big deal, but when i get ticked about something I rage for hours. I really hope that eventually I'm not like this. My traps even hurt because my anger is making me tense.

Don't want a drink though! I'm too mad. lol

Anyway, hope you all have a good evening/morning. I have so much work to do tonight!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I'm not British , so hug away lol. I did an NA picnic today , fantastic , couple hundred people circle at the end , I mean a huge circle , well semi-circle since it weaved in and around picnic tables/shelter. There was a National speaker who had a really moving share. I thought about not going ( nervous ) but it's important for me to follow through with my plan , once I've made one. Goodnight all
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Man, the longer I stay sober the more I realize my brain isn't in great shape. My short term memory seems to be pretty bad right now. I can't remember things that happened on certain days, or even the current day. Hope that gets better.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

A bit ashamed to admit that I am back to day 1. Had far too much to drink on Saturday night, and then followed it up with some wine with dinner on Sunday. I slept most of yesterday and although my body doesn't feel too bad, I can't help but feeling like a failure.

One thing that I do know, however, is that I cannot stop trying to get sober. I will start by not drinking today.

Great job to everyone that made it through the weekend, I will look to you for inspiration over the next week! I have another obligation on next Saturday where there is guaranteed to be lots of drinking happening. I have to devise a plan so that I can make it through...
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Surf - but you're right - you can't get lackluster.

I try to keep it simple tho. As long as I remember any thought I have that drinking is an ok idea is a lie....well, I can't go far wrong

Give it time Stark - I drank for a long time... it took me a full 3 months to even see a little improvement upstairs.

D
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

Originally Posted by Bensmammy View Post
- my biggest fear is going to a meeting and seeing someone I know
my biggest fear too. and guess what? There was someone there that I've met before, and it was kind of a relief.. It wasn't at all like I thought.

When you hear people share, you will be amazed.. It is a very powerful forum.. It's hard to explain until you go.. The person that I knew has been sober for quite a while.. and hearing them tell that they still struggle and what they wen through really made an impact on me.

No matter what happens I don't see how it cannot help you in some way.. Even if you don't have the same experience as me...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
sunshinescooby

For everyone out there who is struggling, you're in my prayers tonight. ODAAT..

Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

End of day seven...went out to dinner with my BF. Chinese and we both had only tea and water with dinner. Nice! But so tired now, heading off to bed. Looking forward to a Monday without a hangover! Never ever thought I'd say "looking forward to Monday" for ANY reason, unless it was a holiday....
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Morning everyone - Surfs hope you're feeling ok this morning and renewed for your day 1

Busy Monday here and looking forward to this evening when I can spend more times on the forums.

I bough my Big Book from AA yesterday - I had been reading it online - so I plan to sit down with it tonight with sticky tabs, a pencil and highlighter and get studying. I'm a bit of a degree - geek and stationary fiend so that is heaven for me! May as well put my brain to some use on a way to keep me sober!

One day at a time :-)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning all! 5.55am here on day 6, I finally finished the work outside at 8.30pm last night and went to bed early. Well done on your week sober Tyme!

4Surf- we've all been there, good for you for coming back on board.

Im up early today to catch a bus miles away taking my eldest daughter (4) to school, then seeing a alcohol councillor at 10am, spending the day with my youngest daughter (2) then which im looking forward to. Going to chase up some job leads today aswell, I applied for several last Thursday/Friday so gona see whats happening with them.

Going to take the plunge and go back to my 'home' group AA meeting tonight 8pm, feel a bit embarrassed about slipping again, its quite a small group so usually everyone shares at some point, I can only be honest though.

So that's my day planned and accounted for, whatever happens today, whatever emotions I feel I WILL NOT drink on it.

Best wishes and have a great sober Monday everyone. x
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning

Sorry to hear of all those who have struggled this weekend, glad you are still here.

I didn't have the greatest nights sleep, my own fault really - went off a little too early, fell pretty much straight asleep reading, woke up at 12 feeling wide awake! Did some more reading, DD woke me at 4 to check for bugs under her bed (?!) Errr no bugs, back to sleep - pleeease...

I've put on 2lbs this last week, not really surprising seeing as I have enjoyed eating whatever, whenever... must tackle that - although tbh I'm not in any rush at the moment. If snacking on cocopops helps me through, so be it

Have a super sober Monday everybody!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Morning 1step Another early cross post from us lol Hope all goes well with the counsellor this morning. Congrats on your day 6!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks MyTime, cross-posting is becoming a new habit for me!!! Have a fab day, ive got to make a move now to catch bus. I'll call in again later- x
Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Overcame a huge obstacle tonight.

I met a charming man on the plane - who wanted a beer. He must have asked me 12 times if I wanted one and tried to make me feel a bit guilty that he was drinking alone. I was nice, but firm, and told him - sure, I'll have a beer with you! A root beer please!

I craved a beer when I got to my hotel, so much that I opened the minibar. That was bad. If there was a beer in there I may have done it, who knows? This just messes with your head - it really does. But Im happy to report that tomorrow is Day 10. I made it through another day. Still cant sleep but at least Im sober - AND I finished my paper for school ON TIME.

Thanks to everyone for their suppport, it is much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through that Sonrisa, you're right he just wanted a drinking buddy for the flight, so not worth you giving up for that!

DD is still fast asleep, she's clearly not a Monday morning fan. Luckily nursery is flexible otherwise I would have had to drag her out of bed and walk her there for 8, she's going to get a rude awakening (literally?) once school starts

I've made my exercise plan for the next few days - today 30 day shred, tomorrow gym with DS, Weds swimming at 8pm, Thursday aqua aerobics at 8pm. I'm going to need you guys to kick me out of the door in the evenings!

Oh she wakes! Time to get moving >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Hope you're all feeling ok this morning.

Ippochick, you shouldnt feel youre not giving support on here, just by posting on here and sharing your thoughts and experiences is helping others.

Mytimenow, wow you're going to be super fit! I'm going swimming or cycling today not sure which yet. I'd taken the day off work today as last night I went to a gig and originally I thought I'd need today to recover. I didn't drink last night though and so am going to try and be as productive as possible today while the kids are at nursery/school!

Last night was great, I was so apprehensive about going but so glad I did. The music was very chilled out acoustic guitar stuff in a really nice venue with candles and fairy lights. I could really appreciate the music and how talented they were.

Good luck to everyone today, have a good one!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stark6935 View Post
Man, the longer I stay sober the more I realize my brain isn't in great shape. My short term memory seems to be pretty bad right now. I can't remember things that happened on certain days, or even the current day. Hope that gets better.
I have this problem too and looking forward to this improving. I thought it would be an immediate thing but I guess will take time. It's embarrassing not remembering what I did at the weekend or the day before when people ask. I'm only 34 so can't really blame it on old age!!