Administrator

Class of March 2013 Part 15

last part is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-14-a-20.html

D
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A very quiet shotgun!

Congratulations NewDay! I'm very happy for you! May there be many happy bananas days in store!

You make 100 look great Toots! Happy Happy Happy.

Happy Anniversary Toots and Duff! I think the old ball and chains should buy you a very expensive dinner and present. JK on the b&c thing. I'm sure they are sweethearts.

Marcher...I am addicted to making pretty non alcoholic drinks. Thanks for the recipes. Life too short for plain water. I love pretty glassware, napkins, and I even freeze blueberries and raspberries and mint leaves in my ice cube trays for extra beautification. We are worth it!

Big love, xoxo
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you NMS! Did you catch up on your sleep from all the graduation parties and yard work?

Hi Joy, I hope you are feeling okay. Nothing wrong with quiet. I should probably take note on trying that.

Hi Duff...how's the new crib??
Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh..and Life and MeSo and Coffee...I've been thinking about you all everyday.

I think about everybody everyday.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360shoes View Post
Oh..and Life and MeSo and Coffee...I've been thinking about you all everyday.

I think about everybody everyday.

Still haven't gotten an interview request for the position I applied for last week and REALLY REALLY want.

On a more interesting note, a bat flew into my apartment this morning through my open door. Used the same method to remove it as I did last year when this happened -- I dropped a mesh lingerie bag over it. This time I then gently slid it onto a dinner plate, walked outside behind my building, put the plate down and carefully lifted off the mesh bag (you have to be careful or you can damage their little "fingers") and it lifted off and flew away.

Much less traumatic experience this time than last year, when I went to raise the blinds in my bathroom and the bat just fell out of them onto the windowsill and I screamed loud enough to be heard in the next county. :-)
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Posted this down in the café but am also interested in my fellow Marchers' input:

When you're looking for work out of sheer desperation and for which you are obviously overqualified and have no recent background experience (or ANY experience) --how do you handle that?

I'm talking about retail/cashier/receptionist positions when I have a B.A. and many years of experience as a writer/editor and a fairly recent job that required me to have a top secret security clearance. As soon as I share pretty much any information about my work experience potential employers are going to know I'm not looking to make a career move and may logically conclude that I won't be around long (even though it could take me many months to find a suitable position in my field).

I feel like a potential employer will see right through any attempt to spin things as though I really want to work as a supermarket cashier now even though I've been working as an editor the rest of my career. So is the best policy just to be upfront about it -- "I know that my background is completely inconsistent with the position I'm applying for, but I'll do a great job for as long as I'm here"?

Ugh.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good Morning everyone---I don't know what I do wrong but at the end of a posts I always loose everyone. I miss you guys. I wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning Marchers!

Yesterday I was really feeling mad that I am an addict. So I can NEVER have anything. I can never take something to relax. I was feeling like, how long do I have to keep this up? When is this ride over? Feeling like I'm walking in a circle around the playground while everyone else gets to go in and play. That's how I was feeling.
I am clean and sober, of course. I could never go through the "clean up" again. Just feeling mad about that. I usually try to think of all the positive outcomes of being clean and enjoy life, but I was just having one of those days when I needed to just be mad. It's done.
I'm glad you are all here. That playground doesn't look like that much fun anyway. I'll find another.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello

Happy 100 days Toots!!

Happy Anniversary Toots and Duff!! ani

Joygirl.... Hang on, as we all know recovery is a heck of a ride : ,

Shoes... sounds like you are happy with your work...

TGIF to all!
I have to go to work, so don't have too much fun without me.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MeSoSo, I have several friends who were unemployed and ready to take just about anything. They, too, stressed about being overqualified for many positions. News flash! The world has changed a lot when it comes to employment. There will always be some employers who look at a resume like yours and won't hire if overqualified. But, these days many employers will happily hire PhDs to do much simpler work. The other problem is that more employers are doing background checks and if they do, discrepancies can become obvious. I've also heard that resume requirements are changing ... Some employers only want to see your last 5, 7, 10 or 20 years of work. Finally, because they often get flooded with applications, you may hear back or may hear nothing - not at all uncommon! So I would check in your local area to find what is customary in your neck of the woods!

Sorry you're having a mad day, Joy but good on you for getting it out :-)

Sass
Old 06-21-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Sassy. I know that negative thinking and allowing myself to get discouraged will do nothing to help me, but when I get into the weeds of actually filling out these applications and facing these tough questions it is really, really hard to stay positive.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Joygirl, you are still going through the grief cycle of addiction. At some point you will be able to let go to the thoughts and it will not be a case of why can't I join in, but a case of this is me, like it or lump it folks but I'm happy. If you were diabetic and had to give up chocolate, you would miss it too. Don't be too down, it will get easier.

NMS, short and sweet post, how are you?
I had a wee text from Lifetplant, she is ok, just a bit quiet at the moment. I sure she will be in touch once she has had chance to recharge and reflect

Duff, happy anniversary sweetie! Are you doing anything special? Hubby is on a later train so won't be home til late, so we will celebrate tomorrow.

Babs, at least you have found us now Hun! If you go to 'my posts' at the top of your page, you can click on your last entry, so at least you will have is from now on!!

Mesoso, is it worth considering agency work? That would get you out in the job scene, but bosses would know you were only temping.

Shoes, you are sounding well, I actually prefer fizzy water to just about anything, so although I would enjoy a glass or two of Marchers cocktails, I'd quickly switch back to my H2O! Strangely water is all my 7 year old grandson will drink- long may that remain the case!!
Thank you all for the congrats. Xx
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Joygirl, you are still going through the grief cycle of addiction. At some point you will be able to let go to the thoughts and it will not be a case of why can't I join in, but a case of this is me, like it or lump it folks but I'm happy. If you were diabetic and had to give up chocolate, you would miss it too. Don't be too down, it will get easier.

NMS, short and sweet post, how are you?
I had a wee text from Lifetplant, she is ok, just a bit quiet at the moment. I sure she will be in touch once she has had chance to recharge and reflect

Duff, happy anniversary sweetie! Are you doing anything special? Hubby is on a later train so won't be home til late, so we will celebrate tomorrow.

Babs, at least you have found us now Hun! If you go to 'my posts' at the top of your page, you can click on your last entry, so at least you will have is from now on!!

Mesoso, is it worth considering agency work? That would get you out in the job scene, but bosses would know you were only temping.

Shoes, you are sounding well, I actually prefer fizzy water to just about anything, so although I would enjoy a glass or two of Marchers cocktails, I'd quickly switch back to my H2O! Strangely water is all my 7 year old grandson will drink- long may that remain the case!!
Thank you all for the congrats. Xx
thank you Toots. You always come through for me. Have a great day and week=end everyone.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marcher

Toots, Yeah! 100 days! And happy anniversary!

Happy anniversary to you too, Duff!

Everyone have a joyful day!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Thanks Sassy. I know that negative thinking and allowing myself to get discouraged will do nothing to help me, but when I get into the weeds of actually filling out these applications and facing these tough questions it is really, really hard to stay positive.

Thanks.
MeSoSo, you are far from alone! I think most get discouraged and stressed out some of the time. I have one friend who is working 3 part time jobs because she loves autonomy and this way she can, to some degree, have her cake and eat it. The money isn't great and scheduling is crazy but she prefers it.

S
Old 06-21-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

To my darling Toots

Congratulations and thanks for everything.

Take it easy on the run and make sure you get back here safe and sound
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
MeSoSo, you are far from alone! I think most get discouraged and stressed out some of the time. I have one friend who is working 3 part time jobs because she loves autonomy and this way she can, to some degree, have her cake and eat it. The money isn't great and scheduling is crazy but she prefers it.

S
Thanks again Sassy! I do have an appointment with a temp agency next Tuesday so maybe something will come of that. Responded to a craigslist ad today for another position.

So hard to know what and how much to reveal and conceal these situations. I soooooo wish I didn't HAVE anything to conceal, but . . . that's why I MUST STAY SOBER.

I also tell myself that DESERVING another chance is contingent on my not drinking. Helps to keep me in line sometimes.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Thank you, Toots and everyone else! We were supposed to drop the boys off at my in-laws for the night and enjoy a romantic dinner at our favorite restaurant on the water. Instead, we are going to watch my son's musical at church followed by a church pizza party- ha! But trust me when I say I could not be happier. I'm not feeling weak or tempted but really am not in the mood to test that out just yet - there definitely won't be any temptation at the church pizza party - lol. Enjoy your celebration tomorrow night.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
To my darling Toots

Congratulations and thanks for everything.

Take it easy on the run and make sure you get back here safe and sound
Thank you hon, you have been a constant inspiration to me, I will be thinking of you on my run, if you can make it through so many tough dark days, I can do 5k! Love you. X
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
Good Morning everyone---I don't know what I do wrong but at the end of a posts I always loose everyone. I miss you guys. I wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong.
If you're subscribing to a thread Babs you need to subscribe again when we open a new one

Hope you get a call back MeSo

It's ok to have days like that joyigirl - as long as you don't lose sight of
the reality

happy weekend all

D