Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 15

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi all,

Marcher, I love fresh baked bread slathered in butter! Soooo unhealthy!! But some things are just to heavenly to ignore!

Joygirl, I am glad that you no longer feel too afraid to step out of your comfort zone. It is the hardest thing for any human to do, walk towards fear. But often once we do take that step, we find that things are not as scary as we thought they would be!
Teen angst, what a pain to experience as a parent! Lets hope he comes home with more appreciation of what he left behind.
101 days is awesome! Such a brilliant achievement.

Talking of achievements, Babs, you are one amazing lady! I know you didn't think you had it in you when you began, I have watched you quietly go from strength to strength, giving wonderful support to newbies, always there with a word of encouragement. Some of us may be louder or more prolific, but you are a really important member of the SR community. Thank you for your continual support, and well done on 113 days! Or 16 weeks, which ever you prefer!!! 🎉

NMS
A tough few days for you, try to enjoy the good memories that arise, rather than feel sad for your loss. May be try to get a moment alone with your dad to explain that a while you would love to take everything, there are certain object that trigger memories more than others, or which you would like your children to keep. As for who gets to take what, try to think what you mum would really want

There is never a straightforward solution, but I hope the tears are of laughter, the cherished objects shared happily, and the goodwill box raises lots of money for your mothers favourite charity!

Sass, you may be behind in actual sober days, but in wisdom advice and support, you are streets ahead.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi my Marchers. I'm holding my head in shame. I meant most of what I wrote ( I think) but i'd had a few, I know what I meant but reading back it doesn't quite to seem sense and I can't blame it on sausage fingers. Today is officially day 1 as I await at the airport w a hot chic in hand waiting on the big metal bird. I should be back in Oz on Wed...for UK people thats Tue, for USA folks it's early hours Tue morn and for Ozzies it's Wed but for me it's still Tue!! I think that's right but i'm prop wrong, Marcher you were so much better at explaining it than me before. All I know is it's a bloody long trip on that metal bird i'm about to embark.

Okay, so here goes. I'm day 1, it's delightful to hear about the 100 day plus people but here I find myself at day 1. I will join another class, i've faltered over tether or not to do that but I guess, just for inspiration it's the right thing to do. I'll never leave you Marchers and I will always read on and be inspired by you. Thank you for touching your circular worldwide wrists around me and keeping me going. Everyone in life should have a 2013 Marcher, it would make life a happier and more contented place. I love you all. xxxx
Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers!

Babs good for you!

Life you'll be in the air now heading towards Oz. You, as far as I know, are the only Marcher who's flown halfway around the world coping with a parent's death & funeral far from home. I can understand your joining another class as you move forward with the early days but you are one of us indubitably. Number of days do not a Marcher make, it's the experience and the comradeship.

Toots I'll have you know my bread is healthy. 7 grain, sourdough, quick ---the whole kit and caboodle. Right now I'm getting my head around autolyse and poolish.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hahaha! Marcher, I would never suggest your bread be anything other than healthy, the way you cook it should be on prescription for everyone!! No, it was the half a pound of butter I would slather on it which would undo all your good and then some!!

Lifet you know my thoughts sweetheart, I will say here what I said to you; if I had gone through what you went through, so early in my own sobriety, I am not remotely sure that I would have kept clean. Not only all the emotional pain, or the stress of the travelling, but the temptation ' on tap' 24/7 would have been too much to handle. Please don't be hard on yourself. I echo Marcher, you will always be one of us, and one day soon, there will be fireworks for your 100th.
Let us know of your safe return to the land of Oz sweetheart, and allow yourself to heal, you are still grieving.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

LifeT, please try to not be ashamed. Alcoholism is a disease, not a lifestyle choice for us. Start a new day. Hang in there and if you slip, hang in there and get the help you need to beat this thing! It took me almost a year since joining SR. Many times I thought I wanted to give up and hide, but I didn't. You can do this!

Hugs,
Sass
Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the support and kind words --Toots,Marcher & Sass.
Life, I feel like everyone else on this thread. I feel so bad that you are going through so much in your life right now and I wish we could take away all the pain and suffering you are going through--- stay strong my friend.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning Marchers!

Yes, Steak n Shake is very good, especially the milkshakes, they are real milkshakes. I took my boys there yesterday and they had chocolate and peanut butter cup milkshakes. They make a zillion different flavors, some change throughout the seasons.

Sassy, sweet and wise as always!
Life, feeling the love?
Babs, have a fantastic day!
Toots and Marcher, I too enjoy fresh, healthful bread, especially sourdough. And I too "improve" the nutritional content with a slathering of butter. But, real butter please! I make concessions in other areas of my diet so as to include real butter, not that plastic artificial gunk. Blah!

Good day everyone!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Good morning Marchers!

Yes, Steak n Shake is very good, especially the milkshakes, they are real milkshakes. I took my boys there yesterday and they had chocolate and peanut butter cup milkshakes. They make a zillion different flavors, some change throughout the seasons.

Sassy, sweet and wise as always!
Life, feeling the love?
Babs, have a fantastic day!
Toots and Marcher, I too enjoy fresh, healthful bread, especially sourdough. And I too "improve" the nutritional content with a slathering of butter. But, real butter please! I make concessions in other areas of my diet so as to include real butter, not that plastic artificial gunk. Blah!

Good day everyone!
joygirl!! I love realy milkshakes. Numbmeeee and real butter now you are talking. I was raised on a farm and there is nothing better than real cream,fresh eggs, and etc. wow, now I'm hungry ta boot. Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
New and learning

Yum indeed! Real Butter, eggs, bread, shakes........yep, I'm hungry!

And I echo the group thoughts Life, you are really being dealt a tough hand. We are here for you, and are proud of you! You ARE a Marcher! Hope the flight went well.

Well, it was a tough day yesterday going through dad's stuff. We had my sister on face-time, so it was like she was there. My dad was getting crabby and my defense mechanism was sarcasm that my sister and daughter took as me being mean. Ugh! My sister was drinking wine, which irritated me but I know she will, so it shouldn't. My dad got into an argument with his wife and then went outside to be alone for a bit. Yes, we all were dealing with the emotions. For my dad.......it's all his STUFF. He has lived in Colorado his whole life, so this is a huge change. He is changing his whole life. I talked with his wife a bit, while he was outside. And with my bro-in-law.....that this really is a big deal and change for him. And it's hard for us too. So, it was good we could talk about it. Even my son, who came for dinner with my husband, in the dinner prayer prayed for us all to get along after going through the stuff. I was shocked he said it, and we all kind of laughed and said, guess its obvious since he just got here.

My dad ended up drinking way too much, and it was a good reminder for me that I'm glad that isn't me any more. I found myself constantly refilling my glass with ice and tea. Having it was a comfort somehow?

Well, more adventure to come I'm sure.

Love to you all!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

NMS I wish you strength while you are dealing with all this. It must be difficult for everyone, and now you can see with your dad how alcohol becomes the go to guy when emotional situations get difficult. Remember we are all with you, supporting you. Come vent, share gripe or moan anything you need to help you through. You are in my thoughts. X
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers!

Originally Posted by NeedMySavior View Post
My dad ended up drinking way too much, and it was a good reminder for me that I'm glad that isn't me any more. I found myself constantly refilling my glass with ice and tea. Having it was a comfort somehow?
Ah yes NMS, I know that feeling of comfort when you have your preferred non-alcoholic drink beside you, for me it's the ever faithful San Pellegrino chinotto. I think what I like best about a time when I might have been drinking in the past is the afterwards. You know you still have energy, you can go and do something else instead of collapsing or going on drinking.

Does anyone else find the smell of alcohol really pervasive? I don't mean in a triggering way, I mean what is that smell!! Oh it's alcohol.

I won't even start on tobacco, I've become so born again about that I'm a pain in the proverbial.

Have a good sober happy day.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Marcher

NMS, I'm glad you drank tea! Drink lots of tea!

I have never liked the smell of alcohol, even when I was drinking alcohol. Many years ago I made bourbon balls for a Christmas brunch and the smell would not go away! But I did eat some. Got a migraine.

Now to redeem myself of the butter and milkshakes, I am having a lovely fruit salad for supper. Boys are gone to a ballgame so I didn't have to cook in this heat.
I'll have some iced tea with it, good idea, NMS! Then I'm off for a brisk walk.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Marcher

I have to tell ya'll something my young Happy Son said to me. Last night he saw a pic of our family on facebook, taken last year, at a restaurant.

"Mom, you look so different!"
"How?"
"You look so much younger and prettier!"
"You are my favorite son in the whole world, you sweet, precious, perfect child!"( No I didn't really say that, but I was thinking it.)

In the pic my face was red and swollen and my eyes were squinty. Half smiling. Enough said.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Out of the mouths of babes .......
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

If that ain't enough to keep you straight Joy, I don't know what will. That is so sweet.

Hang in there Life. You have had a lot to deal with. Just don't give up. Hug.

Marcher...I can't really smell alcohol but I've only been around a couple of friends who have had a just a couple of beers. Didn't smell anything. I never did like beer. If it were the only alcohol on the planet I would have never became a drunk. Oh who am I kidding. I probably would have just found a pill that would have done me dirty. This reminds me of your penmanship question.

NMS, that must be hard. My family is so remote we rarely see each other and I was the only drunk left. Anyone in my family who did drink quit years and years ago.

Hi Toots, Sassy and Babs!

I don't have much to say here lately. Just working and plugging away. Man friend has a big garden going and the highlight of my life right now is watching it grow.

xoxo
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hiya, shoes! Miss you, but I know you're doing a good thing. Man friend grows the food AND cooks it? That's QUITE a good thing you've got going there, I'd say!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Yep. He's a keeper. Sunday evening he made dinner. He makes his own pies and PIE CRUST! He brews a lovely cup of hot tea, infuses his ice tea with fresh fruit, his guacamole is to die for. He folds laundry like he worked at the GAP. He's smart and funny and always positive. What the heck he ever saw in me I will never know.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Marcher, I know what you mean, I was dispensing glasses yesterday and the lad had been drinking, and the smell seemed to some from his pores!
A few weeks back I had a smoker who was a real 'space invader' every time I moved to give some space she closed in, I was all but heaving! I always hated the smell even as a smoker 20 odd years ago, though at the time I smoked, I never truly realised how the smell follows you around like Pigpen and his dirt cloud!! ( sorry class nicotine addicts but it's true)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Shoes, can you clone your guy and send him my way? Pretty please!

S
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Good morning Marchers!

Ah yes NMS, I know that feeling of comfort when you have your preferred non-alcoholic drink beside you, for me it's the ever faithful San Pellegrino chinotto. I think what I like best about a time when I might have been drinking in the past is the afterwards. You know you still have energy, you can go and do something else instead of collapsing or going on drinking.

Does anyone else find the smell of alcohol really pervasive? I don't mean in a triggering way, I mean what is that smell!! Oh it's alcohol.

I won't even start on tobacco, I've become so born again about that I'm a pain in the proverbial.

Have a good sober happy day.

Good Morning Marcher---Wow, i know what you mean about the smell of booze. I can smell it a mile away. and I thought I was really pulling something off drinking it straight. what the heck!!! and I'm also a x smoker so, i can relate to that also. It's a good reminder isn't it.
Have a good day everyone.