Notices

Class of June 2013 Pt 2

Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me, coming out the other side!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Morning all Day 4 here. Slept a little better again despite my throat feeling like its home to chainsaws and sawdust. I'm guessing its Hayfever, off on holiday tomorrow so hopefully it will clear itself away, if not, a trip to the dreaded Dr's!

Still, feels nice to get up sober. Hope you guys have a nice sober day, welcome to the newbies, nice to see such a big class. Well, off to get my clothes washed and packed,

Take care all
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have a demon inside me called ALCOHOL ADDICTION. He relies on me to feed him and I've been doing so regularly for 40 years, so he's grown big and strong. If I stop feeding him he protests – he sends messages to my brain, convincing me that I can't be happy unless I keep him well fed. In times of stress he persuades me that I need him on my side to deal with it, so I have to to feed him even more. He often sends me subtle messages – 'Wouldn't it be nice to take your wife out to dinner at a good restaurant', but really he only suggests things like this because he knows it's respectable to have a whole bottle of wine put down in front of you and he knows the waiter will often top my glass up in the hope I'll order another bottle. I always do. This demon has been controlling my life.

I'm now attempting to take back control, and the demon is going to hate it. I have to be prepared for a fight. If I'm honest with myself I know that I'm the one who's really in control because he relies on me to feed him, and the less I feed him, the smaller and weaker he will get. So I've stopped feeding him altogether. I expect him to become desperate at times and he will strike when I'm weak. His life depends on it. But if I stay in control and keep my eyes focussed on a better life, doing the things that I really want to do, I will eventually starve him to death and I will be free.

But perhaps he will merely go into hibernation, waiting patiently for a sip of alcohol to revive him. That's why I have to accept that I can never touch this drug again. To me it has to be classed as poison.

I'm on DAY 4
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool post Ajay! I can relate to the AV suggesting seemingly harmless activities in the hopes that my rational side might slip up.

I'm safely in bed before 9pm on day 5. Cravings and anxiety were not as bad as yesterday, but tomorrow is Friday- a pretty hard day for me to make it through in the past. This week I will go to the pool directly after work, have a nice workout then home for a healthy dinner, followed likely by a decidedly unhealthy dessert!

Have a great day/night everyone!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome dalouie

D
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-
Day 7 for me. Feeling good.
Ajay and 4Surf: you guys sound like you're talking about the principals related to Rational Recovery. I've read the book and it was very helpful--so if you aren't already familar with it, check out the Secular connections section here--more info there.

I am still convinvced Alcohol is a poison and completely useless to us. Does us no good and only gives us heartache.

The more stories I read on the this forum, both in this thread and others, the more I'm sure it's a huge lie that's been fed to us that there is any reason at all to drink it.

Hang tough everyone.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I find so much support in these threads.

Day 13 Here, doing well. Have been to a couple events that really tested me, but I was able to stay strong.

I'm only 29, but I can't remember the last time I went 13 days without a drink.

I feel more relief every day.

Thank you everyone
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 7 here. Cheered to see so much success and optimism on this board.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've read so much on this site, so thanks to everyone who's posted on here, it's been helping so much. And well done to all those who've managed to stay strong especially when been tested. The last 2 days I've felt great and had no cravings at all but today I just can't stop thinking about drinking. I know ill be ok today though, I'm back home and have a hard exercise class later and after that all I ever want is a shower, water and bed!
Trying to take it all a day at a time but I've got a party coming up Saturday though and I think that's why I'm really starting to struggle, good old AV keeps telling me just to have a drink like everyone else. I'm going to drive tho and going to leave early as I won't be able to be around everyone once they start drinking. Struggling with my thoughts at moment.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Off to bed on day 3. Met up for a walk today with my dad. He asked if I wanted to go for lunch, I knew he probably meant a pub, but I felt strong, neither of us drank. I enjoyed a coke, had a nice meal, and came out pleased with myself and proud. A small but significant achievement. I didn't even think about getting a beer despite his protesting, long may it continue.
Really pleased for you Mr Beagle
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me - a whole week sober!

Hard to believe that this time last week I had had my wake up call complete with the broken nose & black eyes.

I have been clearing out my diary for the month ahead and cancelled a few events that will just be too hard (a cheese & wine party and a weekend festival, for example) and for the rest I have plans in place to keep me strong.

Celebrating my one week with peach flavour squash.

Great to see so much optimism in the group - keep it up!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It great to see so many of you staying strong and fighting through the first few tough days.

Enjoy your holiday Mr B

Thanks for the post Ajay, to recognise the beast is always helpful.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is going to be day 1 for me. Yes I know what that sounds like. But I want to say goodbye to the demon tonight.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Grats on a week lifebeginsat41!

Off for an early night here in the UK, up very early for summer holidays, actually kinda getting excited now! I've already checked with the hotel, there is free wi-fi, so I can keep in touch with my sober buddies. The hotel minibar has also been 'purged' of alcohol products, just so I don't get tempted!

Speak to you guys tomorrow, have a great day
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes lessgravity
Bon voyage Mr B - stay true

congrats lifebegins and Sam, and glad you're feeling better LetGO
hey Dorris and Allie - how're you guys?

D
Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is day one again! Darn it! But I want it, I am hell bent to make June my class!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sorry that you are back at day 1 SFMS, but glad to see that you are right back here and ready to give it another go. I had a slip last weekend as well, but instead of letting it become a days/week-long slip I was able to keep it at one day. Obviously nit what I was planning, but im am trying to learn from my mistakes. Good luck with getting back on track!

The dreaded Friday... It's my busiest day of the workweek and I have "rewarded" myself with a few drinks (more like a dozen+) for a weeks work well done for the past 9 years. This week I'll reward myself with a relaxing swim, nice dinner, and a well rested body and mind come Saturday morning. Lots of ideas for ways to stay busy this weekend also!!!

What plans does everyone have in place for the coming weekend?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I kept really busy 2day. But having feelings of resentments creeping in2 my mind. It was a difficult day. I know I shouldn't feel this way bout stuff, and I really try hard. Somedays its easier then others. But its alwys there . I need to clear these negetive thoughts out of my mind. It will lead 2 disaster 4 me if I don't. I was also thinking of my brthr in laws memrl service 2day. And how we wished we cld have been there. And how much we will miss him. Life is sweet, but also very hard a lot of the time.
Hope evry1 is doing great. Peace 2 all.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

ha--I have to practice what I preach, right? I got hit with a huge craving tonight-bunch of work folks were letting off steam and one mentioned that we should go to a bar and have a few. I literally had to clench my teeth to avoid saying,"yes, sounds like a great idea!" b/c I'm sure that would set everyone in motion and I don't want to be in a bar with a bunch of folks complaining about their day.

So, no one piped up to second the idea so it was abandoned. Whew! I would normally be the cheerleader for that kind of activity so this was a depature from my norm.

So grateful I didn't cave.

Alcohol is such a demon.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This afternoon my AV made up my mind that I was going to use today. Put in a phonecall, that thankfully wasn't answered.

Almost slipped, but "played it thru", wrote in journal, did some light yoga, came here.

I'm so glad this didn't become another regret. I've got 14 days sober : )