Notices

Class of May 2012 part 21

Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

BABS!!!! One hundred days!!!! How absolutely beautiful, my friend. Keep on with your phenomenal sober self.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

fantastic babs!

D
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Grats babs!!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well done Babs x

This week is soooo stressful at work. I'm definitely going to reconsider what I'm doing as regards this job. The things I think are most important I'm having to fight for otherwise they're getting a bit lost in personalities and paperwork. Every difficult decision that has to be made needs to be cut right back to 'is this in the best interests/how does this improve the lives of the children?' They are central. I don't like handling personnel problems, and I want to support rather than dictate. I'm not sure I'm management material really. I've got a lot of experience, I'm dedicated and committed, but spending my days in meetings and handling conflict isn't doing it for me. I find I'm often the lone voice in meetings, disagreeing with plans because I can't see how they will work or improve things. I haven't been out of the classroom very long so I sort of know what is workable and what isn't. It is hard. I am tired. And it's only Wednesday....

And this Sunday is Father's Day.....

Apart from that, I'm ok. Surviving the stress. No nightmares for a while. Not drinking, not smoking, and still grateful for this sober life.

Love you all loads xxx

And Em, Shock and SJD, check in soon xxx
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
This thread is the only thing that got be sober. With out you guys I would still be drinking and sneaking my booze.
Me too Babs! You are doing frickin awesome girl Congratulations on 100 days
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni,
I can understand what you are feeling and really hope this school year ends soon for you. I am not management material either, they have tried but no way I'm going there. I love the difference I make on a smaller scale and like you I enjoy supporting my coworkers. I hope you can find a way to get back to what you love and lessen your stress level. Big hug to ya.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Jeni, sorry the job is so frustrating. Does it get harder shortly before the school year is over? I was in management for a number of years and it just wasn't my cup of tea. So I took a 50% pay cut when I switched to a non-management job. I missed the feeling that I could guide things but didn't miss the feeling of being in the middle and responsible for the folks I managed. We're all different but I think there are real trade-offs in management Vs non-management jobs. neither is perfect and I think you need to follow your heart.

Hugs,
Sass
Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in. 86 days sober today. Yay!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I saw a post about using other kinds of emoticons. fun, huh?
Jeni I'm sorry to hear your work is so stressful. I hope the solution comes easily to you and send you strength in executing it. I'm kind of in the same boat and there's just so many variables in deciding what to do.
Kittycat, nice to hear from you and great job keeping on!
SJD, glad to hear from you too! Keep up the great work!
Just had a few minutes before work so thought I'd pop in. Hope everyone has a nice day!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good Morning All,

Babs - Congratulations on 100 days of sobriety That is a huge milestone!

SJD - Congratulations on 86 days alcohol free7 1/4 of a year of sobriety is close at hand. I couldn't be happier for you

((Jeni)) - Thank goodness you get a break soon. That gives you an opportunity to relax and really think about what will make you happy. I agree with everyone's advice. For me, I have to listen to my intuition. I spent a lot of years in a profession I hated. I was very fortunate that I got to retire early. At the end, I really felt like I was losing it. I would follow your bliss and that clearly is working with the children.

My sister called me the day before yesterday and told me that my nephew's wife was cheating on him. He is an alcoholic. So, needless to say he felt like drinking. I called him up and we attended a meeting yesterday. The topic was about change and I think it really resonated with him. God bless him, he is trying to stop drinking during a highly stressful time in his life. He is worried that his wife will use his past alcohol abuse to try and get custody of their son. She really is an awful person.

I also got a call from my health care provider that I need to come back for more x-rays and a sonogram after getting a mammogram. My first thought of course was "cancer".
I made a conscious effort to change my thinking and not stress about it. I simply have no control over it and I intend to enjoy my day!

Wishing everyone a good Wednesday!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
BABS!!!! One hundred days!!!! How absolutely beautiful, my friend. Keep on with your phenomenal sober self.
Thank You FrechPink--you guys are all so amazing.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
Thank You FrechPink--you guys are all so amazing.
Sorry FrenchPink ---I was in too much of a hurry to respond.
I'll get it right.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Tanja I'm sorry to hear about the mammogram results. Odds are everything is fine. My mom has to go back almost every time. Great job not feeding into the anxiety and taking it as it comes. Please keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chances are Tanja its nothing more than them being thorough

D
Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Morning all x

Tanja- good work on keeping that stress at bay. Many many women are re-called over mammogram results and it turns out to be nothing sinister xxx
I'm sorry about your nephew too. That's a big stress to go through in early recovery. Thank goodness he's got your love and support. Sending you lots of love xxx

SJD-well done on your sober time. You are doing great xxx

Love to you all. I'm reaching exhaustion point. It just isn't possible to do my job properly, there's too much of it and I can't prioritise without seemingly letting someone down. I can't be all things to all people....maybe I care too much? I've got another day of back to back meetings ahead and there are staff who are waiting to talk to me about stuff that's really important to them and I've got a few policies/boring paperwork tasks that need reviewing tomorrow...how is it even possible to read through and make sensible suggestions on policy reviews when I don't get a minute? I can't even walk to the office without at least 3 people stopping me and asking my advice.....I need a day off to just get on top of paperwork really.

Ok rant over.....

Thanks for letting me vent. Ok, smile in place, I can do this....after all it's Friday tomorrow xxx
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you approach your superiors again about the unrealistic demands of this job Jeni?

D
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

At this rate I may go in to her office and weep over her desk...not terribly professional I know! I will talk to her again...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Jeni. You might want to consider dropping anything that can possibly be dropped. I know that sounds simplistic, but think of it this way: if you collapse from exhaustion, you won't be able to do anything at all.

Hugs,
Sass
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Hi all. I'm sorry for leaving without warning. I was being pulled in too many directions and something had to give. I chose several things to back away from until my sense of extreme obligation passed.

After a lot of stress and planning it looks like I'm moving to Ohio after all. Things just aren't working out financially here. We were going to replace our third roommate and now I've found out that my other roommate won't do that. So I'm literally paying every cent of my income to rent. That doesn't leave me any money. My new roommate also has dogs so Oscar will be fine in his new home. In fact that was how I came by my decision. I can try to live that tight, he can't. What if he needed to see a vet? And he's do for his licensing as well. This isn't fair to him.

It took a lot of soul searching to admit this and although I'm scared of leaving the only town I've ever known its my only choice. My sobriety is still very strong. It helped me make my decision by knowing this.

I'm guessing that its time for this bird to stretch her wings and fly, but that doesn't have to make me less scared.

Now that this is off my plate I feel a lot less obligated about everything else so I'm back.

You know I was planning this several months ago when my former roommate lived here still. Then she was gone and it was so peaceful. At that time my other roommate and I planned to pay her portion of the rent until this place was back up to snuff. Now it is and I can't continue to eat her rent.

And yes I'm planning on coming back to town to see DM

Well, that's my saga and now off to read up on all my fellow Mayans.

Take care.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Shock, so happy to hear from you! Sad that you need to move; sometimes the unexpected life hands us can be blessings in disguise. I think your love for Oscar is leading you!

Hugs,
Sass