Notices

A New Day (Munchkin's Thread) Part 3

Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Naples, FL. I'll land by 10 am, so will have a full day to enjoy Looking forward to walking the beach, swimming and eating seafood

Good to hear you've booked Jellystone, you'll all enjoy that

Determined to walk tomorrow morning.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nice!
Love fresh seafood! One thing I really miss about Hawaii and Alaska. The seafood!

Yesterday was soooooo bad.
First high stress at work. I was working my office, the other office in NY, issuing a group, working the other offices queues, yada yada yada.
Also they don't have the AC on in our office so its hot, hot, hot!
Then left work, went to the PX and picked up another nice glass container for storing herbs. Got outside, found it amusing that another lady was also having car problems (remember lately my Jeep either doesn't want to start or it stalls)
and lo and behold. My jeep won't start.
10 minutes later, I get it started after almost crying. My headache that has been gnawing at me is returning full force.
Pick up son, he being the wonderful boy he is took in the recycling bins and the trash can for me since yesterday was trash day.
I wandered absent mindedly around the kitchen, trying to put two and two together, munching on chocolate and a coca cola and wondering what to make for dinner. I was sweaty, tired, and headachey.
Hubby came home, gave me a kiss, dumped our share from the farm on the counter and went to go change.

By 7pm we ate dinner, I treated myself to a small bowl of ice cream for dessert. I went upstairs by 730p and asked hubby to clean up. I had nothing left to give.
By 815pm I dug deep and kept my promise to my son. We read the first chapter of Harry Potter, the Sorcerors (sp) stone.
He thoroughy enjoyed it.
Later hubby teased me and said he enjoyed my British accent. yeah whatever.
Tonight I promised DS we will read the next chapter but now he has to help read.
I'm excited to do this with him. no sarcasm there at all. I truly am. I love to read and I want to pass that down to my son.
While I don't think that electronic games are the devil or whatever, I find books much more entertaining usually and you can learn a lot from stories, even stories like Harry Potter.
Well, not in the mood to talk much more.
Still here, still sober.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I understand....I have days like that too....just nothing left to give. Really nice you read with your son

Walked a couple of miles this morning....first time in a while. I don't have much ambition to do anything....kind of weird....especially as I have lots to do.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's good you walked! I know you've been wanting to do that. Yeah, understand that lack of ambition and motivation. Hits me sometimes too. Frustrating, especially when you have lots to do.
Have I said lately that I hate my office? Well I do. There it is. I hate my office and the people I work with.
sigh.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I so want to throw in the towel on everything today. (no not my sobriety though)
My car is more or less dead.
Last night it stalled once again in the parking lot of my sons daycare.
Blocked traffic something horrible. Some nice gentlemen helped me push it out of the way.
Yesterday also the boss told us all that any time that we had requested for June to have off, whether it is for sick leave, vacation leave or what not is now denied.
That's due to the office we are helping. Funny thing. She only knows part of the story there.
Our mandatory LWOP of course has also been pulled here at the office.
That I'm not too worried about, in fact I'm looking at it as kind of a gift. That'll allow me to put a lot into savings in a very short time. Talking up to $300 a month.
I am very frustrated about the doctor appointments though. I have my therapist appointments, my allergy shots, both of which I get/have every other week.
I can understand vacation sort of, but doctor appointments?

There are weird things happening up in the office in NY all with govt funding. They have cut the funding.
No money left.
So its affecting how the tickets get issued. It means its tougher to get them issued because now the organization is waiting for the funds to be "gifted" by university alumni.
So while they are busy, they're busy because the transactions take longer than the typical one. One transaction takes 30 minutes+ instead of just 5.
I hate to say it but it seems like management is putting all their eggs (hopes) in one basket. (this other office up in NY)
Our office is getting slower.
Yesterday was normally our biggest ticketing day. We usually issue 200+ tickets.
We issued 74.
We are supposed to issue 16.5 tickets or there abouts per person per day. We have 8 people here.
That equals about 128 per day.
We're issuing about 40 to 70 per day.
You do the math. They are no longer mowing the grass here on post either. Its thigh high now. No funding for it.
The furloughs hit post here on July 8th. I wonder how it will hit us here at work?

So off that. I'm looking at maybe buying a new car.
I do not want to though. Then I have to pay for shipment of it to Fairbanks.
Don't know how much THAT will cost.
So depressing.

Still here still sober. And rather down.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cars......a true love - hate relationship. My neighbor was lamenting that she and her husband were rear ended in their 1997 Toyota Camry. It was in great condition, but due to it's age, it was totaled, so now they have to buy a car

Sounds pretty grim at your office and the base. Worrying times to be sure.

We're having a big tree taken down today....just what I want to spend money on....not
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Since I'm helping one of the NY offices I've started talking with another NY office up near Canada. Turns out even for them business is dead.
They normally used to issue like 50 to 60 tickets a day. (I should know, I used to work there!) but now they issue 6-7 tickets a day.
Unlike us, they are an active duty post.
That means they have and service mostly active duty personnel as opposed to us here. We do mostly civilian traffic.

I'm starting to accept more that I might just have to cut my losses and get a new vehicle.
They (the maintanence shop) told us that the radiator is rusting out which is why it leaks.
The rattling we hear is because things are loose under the body and if they undo parts of it it will ruin the muffler which will then require a new muffle.
They do not know why its stalling simply because "it didn't do that for them!"
Very frustrating. And sad.
My only highlight yesterday was first I got two boxes on my porch.
One from the skincare company I used to order from and one from Amazon for some make up brushes, some new kindle charge cords, and some Wen shampoo.
Next we had pork schnitzel for dinner with buttered noodles and fresh asparagus. By the time we sat down I was STARVING! I had a big wine glass filled with San Pellegrino.
Tonight I think we're having fajitas.
Got some bell pepper to use up.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

We might be shopping for a new car today. I don't know. I'm just afraid this will be business as usual for me with my current car and I don't want to have to deal with that every day.
Something funny (kind of). Both my boss and her boss are now both on vacation.
OOOOOHHHKAY.
So we are not allowed to take vacation but she is.
Gotcha.

Today I'm going makeup less which is weird and my coworkers are probably looking at me like I'm nuts.
My skin has been breaking out massively, its looks like its super angry at me.
I don't know if it is due to allergies or what.
I do know each and every morning I wake up very stuffy, feeling like my head is full of cotton and I can't breath.
My eyes are itchy today, my nose too.
God I hate allergy season.

Oh back to work really quick. Here's another funny. Boss sent out an email that says she's holding onto our vacation/sick leave requests so that she can approve the time off as we proceed. That as usual we will adjust to business needs.
I have a feeling that means she can allow her pets to go and take the time they need but any of us that are not her favorites cannot go.
I know I'm definitely NOT a favorite of hers which is really kind of weird.
Never before, well no, once, have I had this situation like I do here.
I've worked in massive sized offices before and reallly really small offices.
Almost each and every office I've worked in I've been liked or even loved.
Each place I've worked I leave with lots of tears, sadness, and hugs all around as we say goodbye and yet I get the feeling that when I leave this place I will be so relieved so happy and I get the feeling that that feeling will be mutally shared.
Never before have I worked with a bunch of people that are so unhappy, that are so vindictive, so scheming, and so angry at each other.
This office is non stop filled with one person trying to outdo another, trying to get more, trying to get their own share and what not.
And the crazy thing? The boss underlines this and almost says she wants this.
I've told her once or twice about something that someone has done that is wrong/not good all the while telling her that I do NOT like tattling on others. And she actually tells me she wants me to do this more.
Many times it actually seems like the reason I sometimes get the shorter end of the stick is because I do not complain enough.
Sigh.
I don't know why I rant when there really isn't much to be done about it. Its just frustrating.
Good news is I have about 5+ months left here.
And I'm so grateful. I'm almost done. My time in hell has almost been served!!!!! LOL LMAO
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Forgot to add.
Still here, still sober.

Oh and last night DH was driving me CRAZY with looking online for the best deal on vehicles. Can you believe the used car places now have VIDEOS showcasing each and every car? How crazy is that?
After one or two I just shrugged and said "I don't really care what color it is, as long as it works, starts when it's supposed to start, stays started, does not have leather seats (leather seats are no good in -50. it cracks), has a remote car starter, and a battery blanket, radiator heater or something along those lines, I'm good." "oh and good gas mileage. That is another requirement I have" This response seemd to frustrate hubby. He wants me to get more involved/excited with it but honestly? I really don't care. As long as it works. I'm good.
Well whatever. Gotta get back to work. Doing exchanges for cadets. Fun fun.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I accomplished most of my "to do" list this morning. Although sunny, the weather is cool....wondering if it's going to be a cool summer?

Dragged my suit case up from the basement. Will start making lists of what to pack. My Dad is quite excited for my arrival Spoke with mom this morning and she sounded nervous and unhappy

I'm with you, I just want a reliable car!! Still here and still sober
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, we done it.
We bought a new (not brand new but new to us) Jeep Liberty.
Got only 1K for my old one but it was pretty bad off. The radiator needed to be replaced (found that out on Thursday), the muffler needed to be replaced, the stalling and not starting issue hadn't even been fixed yet. Everyone couldn't figure out what was doing it. All in all, it was just about dead.
I'm kind of sad. My son was crying last night as we went to bed because "he didn't get to say a full goodbye to our old Jeep"

Tired kind of today. My right sinus keeps bothering me.
Hope its not a sinus infection.
Well, must run.
Picked 10.5 lbs of strawberries at the farm. Some are being dehydrated, some to be turned into some sort of Jam/jelly.

Still here, still sober.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jeep.jpg (79.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Whoo - hooooo....nice wheels!!!! No more worrying about your car starting....or rather NOT starting

Strawberry picking will begin while I'm in FL, so I'll probably miss it Last year our local farm didn't offer strawberry picking due to poor crops.

Not feeling motivated to do much Might plant a pot or two, but am saving bigger projects for when I'm returned from FL.

Really like your new car
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow, what a day. Usually I come into work and post right away. Today I sit here at almost 1p going
Actually, I knew it would be this kind of busy. I'm taking calls for our office and the office up in NY. I've been working their queues like crazy, working groups of travelers going to Moscow and Chile.
I'm pooped.
Mentally anyways.
Gotta think of something positive and happy to get me back on track. Ooommmhhh. Ooommmhhh.

Sigh. I still want to do this.
Sad thing is? The office up in NY is not actually ALL that busy. Its just kind of chaotic and now there is the added bonus that I do not know what else they would like done but I'm still stuck on their phones.
sigh.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. My new Jeep. With its lovely sunroof. I like the sunroof.
I bought (for $2.50) a lotus decal to put on my back window. Ever read Saturation?
That's where I got that idea. Lotus flowers with Koi fish mean a "spiritual awakening"
which I feel was more or less what happened on 14 December 2011 and is still happening today.
I told DH I want to put a necklace or something on my rearview. DS volunteered to make me one out of beads. LOL
I thought that was too cute.

I'm in a kind of weird mood today. Should I stay or should I go now sort of mood.
Yesterday was sooooo busy. Laundry, 3 loads, gardening work, listing an old tent on Ebay. Here's to hoping THAT sells.
House cleaning, filing, putting stuff away. Packing for camping.
We're going to Cape May NJ. Should be fun but it is a 2 1/2 hour drive. YUCK.
Thanks to my lovely work I will not be getting off at 12n like I originally requested so we'll be setting up as the sun is setting.
GRRRR.
Oh well, such is life.

Well, still here, still sober.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Your little characters make me think of Brenda I haven't read Saturation. I'm hoping to jump start my reading agin, by thumbing through magazines....kind of lame....but it's worked before.

Arrived in FL today. So wonderful to see my Dad. We had a very nice day together. I am pretty worried about him....don't think there is any way for him to return to their main home and do stairs. He says he misses mom, but she told me she doesn't want to come back down....says she wants to go to their cottage. It's hard for me to hear her make such remarks

Sigh.....I'm going to turn in for the night and get some sleep. I enjoyed a long walk today and swimming....oh and some crazy good fish for dinner! Hang in there with all the work stress and enjoy your lovely sun roof
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My characters? You mean the smileys on here???

hhhmm. Florida sounds nice.
I could go for a nice walk on the beach in Florida. I guess NJ will have to do for me for now.
This weekend we're camping at a RV resort that is right off the beach. Temperature should be in the 90's and it'll be clear! NICE!

You know, I feel you on your Mom & Dad.

Dad has obviously cut himself away from Mom and now spends his entire days on the golf course. He comes home at around 330p to 430p, takes a nap and then eats dinner with Mom.
Mom has so many different issues going on. Alcoholism. I think a bit of agoraphobia. Depression.
She doesn't really get out and make friends, doesn't really get out and go walking, all she does is stay in the house all day watching tv.
And drink.
Mom & Dad used to have somewhat of a close relationship but I think part of their problem was they never found a common thing they liked to do together.
Mom kind of lost herself, or maybe never even found herself. Its probably why she fell apart when my brother and I moved out.
Everything about herself was wrapped up in her two children. She never invested time into discovering herself.
That's my take on it anyways. I could be wrong but remembering back to my childhood. Listening to things Mom complained about.
I work hard to make sure I don't do some of the same.

Oh DS got his first "girlfriend"
He told us two nights ago while taking a shower that he had to get "extra clean & shiny" because he had to impress her. He had me style his hair with the blow dryer. Clean out his ears, etc etc.
He brushed his teeth. TWICE.
Last night he told me at first he would wait to tell hubby and I both but he came sitting up near me in the Jeep, was hanging on my neck and said "mama I can't wait to tell you both so I'll just tell you because I love you most! She said YES!"
Hubby came home and asked DS "so did you get the girl?"
DS told him proudly yes but then he thinks it might be because he complimented her and said she looked pretty.
I'm a little taken aback by it all because 7 years old is kind of young but I know kids are starting all this stuff sooner now a days so....

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
A few things going on. Selling our old BIG tent. 150.00 Should net us about 125.00
That I will use to buy DS more clothing. I'm stocking up size 8 pants, size 8 shirts. Size 10 pants, shirts and PJ's.
ANNNNDD. Talked to another one of my comrades in Alaska. Spoke to one of my old coworkers who used to be my boss but really we were more like equals.
She told me there is a high chance that in Anchorage I might be picked up. Not as much of a chance in Fairbanks.
I figure I'll give it a week or two and then "pester" my old boss.

Here's to hoping it all works out!
Still here & Still sober.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I do hope it works out for you in Alaska....do you prefer one city more than the other....or like them both?

The little characters I was referring to were the little women, sitting meditating

Oh yes......7 is young for love.....but I think I had a crush on a boy when I was 8!

Walked so much today, my legs are actually sore....but it's so darn pretty and such a change of scenery .....that I just keep on walking

Parents.....do you suppose most couple end up at odds with each other? I surely hope not.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hope so Pond. Hubby is putting in a job application for one up in Fairbanks but we like them both. Both has their pluses or minuses, pros and cons. Fairbanks is a small town with a small town feel. Everyone knows everyone and everyone helps everyone out, more or less but you have the extreme temperatures on both sides (summer and winter) and you have a lot more forest fires.
Anchorage is a big city with a big city feel, gorgeous scenery, a bit more fast paced, a lot more traffic and a lot more of the lower 48 folk (which sourdoughs don't like as much because they are very whiney. Whining about not being able to put your trash out the night before, whining about the wildlife, whining about the moose blocking their road, blah blah blah)
People in Alaska don't really like to whine a whole lot, nor do they tend to whine a whole lot.
We all make jokes about our state bird (mosquitos), we all joke about the cold weather or how people in the lower 48 news get shocked because Tok Alaska hit -66. Most people up there just shrug and go "c'est la vie"

The little characters I was referring to were the little women, sitting meditating
Oh gotcha!

I might have had a crush when I was around 8 but I don't really recall.
The nice thing is at this point our son is still so innocent. He's still at the age where the thought of kissing another girl grosses him out, hugging he likes though but then he hugs everyone (his best friends are included). He's been written up for that because the teacher and us have had to explain to him over and over that not everyone likes to be hugged.

I meant to get a bit of exercise last night when I got home. Was going to try Yoga but instead got caught up putting the new seat covers in my jeep. Now that they are conforming to the seats themselves they are looking rather nice. DH helped a lot for which I am grateful but the rear ones he kind of half a$$ed because I was talking to the neighbor about the jeep while he did it. I don't blame him in a way because I was not actively helping at that point but I'm going to have to tighten it later on.
I want to make sure the rear seat is completely protected because I KNOW how DS is. He'll make a massive mess!

Parents.....do you suppose most couple end up at odds with each other? I surely hope not
That one is hard to say really. At one point right after I moved out, brother moved out, Dad got a good paying job in DC that he didn't really like but hey it was a job, my Mom was working full time too, they were living in the suburbs of DC and I think life was somewhat peaceful for them. I remember in my early twenties Mom never really complained like she does now, they seemed to be happy. I think much of that changed when first Mom just walked away from a manager job because they were not giving her what she wanted (they were trying to cut her hours) and then she started another job that was like an admin job, part time and she hated it.
From that point she seemed to go downwards while pulling Dad along for the ride.
Dad started hating life at that point, he hated his job, hated coming home to a wife that was already half drunk, and I think when he quit he was at the end of his rope. I don't think my Mom realizes even to this day how close he was to just either ending it with a bullet or divorcing her and leaving.
I think now, when he goes off and golfs all day, its his way of distancing himself from my Mom because he doesn't know what else to do, how else to fix it.
He hasn't gotten that he can't exactly "fix" this situation and of course he has not accepted that Mom is an alcoholic.
Until Mom wakes up, accepts it, I think the situation will remain and possibly worsen.
I would hope that most couples do not end up at odds with each other.
I say that now because, of course, I'm thinking of hubby and I.
I would hope that in 20 years, when our son has graduated and we're celebrating our 40th anniversary we're still as close as ever.
But then, we have many of the same interests, enjoy a lot of the same stuff, yada yada yada.
And of course the biggie. I woke up and am still awake.
I'm no longer walking around like a zombie, in an alcohol induced sleep.

Well have to run, still have work to do here in the office.
Still here, still sober.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I should get seat covers....Mr. P sounds like your DS

Walked an hour and a half today, getting some sunburn on my arms - must remember sun screen tomorrow.

Helped Dad do some things to the car they leave here in FL today. He really appreciates my help. We went out to dinner tonight with a friend of theirs. Dad told me a head of time she drinks quite a bit of wine. I told her I didn't drink anymore. There was some kind of a deal on wine with a meal, so she got two glasses of wine, plus an entire unopened bottle to take home. I had an Arnold Palmer, iced tea with lemonade and little sweetener. Of course I had more fish for dinner

I can't believe how much I've been sleeping since I got here - must be I really need it. I'm feeling quite relaxed.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Uggh, craziness here at work.
Okay, so remember how I said that all our LWOP (leave without pay), vacation, sick leave had all been pulled because we're helping another office?
Well, turns out that higher up (really high up) has been looking at this regions numbers when they noticed "hey, employees at these offices are not taking their mandatory 10 hours! WTH?"
And they went after the supervisor two levels up.
And caca rolls downhill.
So now its all reinstated with LWOP being the biggest of them all.
I am leaving early now today at 12n to go camping. LWOP thank you very much.
However everyone is yelling because a coworker called in sick, one who never does. The general consensus is that she has something going on personally and didnt' want to take LWOP.
You know, my boss a while ago yelled at me to "get used to the new normal"
Problem is, the people here have to get used to "the new normal" here.
I've said it before, I'll say it again.
The boss, her boss, and the people here can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that WE ARE NOT ISSUING ENOUGH TICKETS TO SUPPORT US.
They are so focused on little jobs here and there, that they forget, plain and simple that we need tickets to pay our salaries. If no tickets then people need to lwop.
If we don't lwop well, then we get chopped. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

My prediction?
A month from now. Possibly, two months. We will have more layoffs.
Here. At this office. One. Possibly two more people.
Sigh.
And guess what. When those two more people leave, the boss will still have to let people go on vacation and doctor appointments. The boss will still probably have to make people LWOP because the ticket numbers are not there to support the staff.
Simple math.
Get used to the new normal. Yeah, right.
Very frustrating.

Oh and here's a funny.
This past weekend, hubby made me a pina colada (without the colada aka rum)
I told him recently I miss the days of drinking "foo foo" (spelling??) drinks with umbrellas.
So he nicely made me a pina colada, made himself and DS one too. I sipped it out of a margarita glass.
Took a picture of it and put it on FB with the caption "Pina Colada time!"
I think my parents saw the picture on FB because they were looking at the pictures of my new Jeep and I think my Mom almost broached the topic with me yesterday but she got nervous. LOL
They probaby think I'm drinking again, which oddly enough, I find humorous.
I don't exactly know what that (that meaning my reaction to them thinking I'm drinking again) means.
Well, whatever.
Still here, still sober. Going on 18 months now. Wow. 18 months.
That's pretty frickin amazing.
I never thought I would be sober for that long. I can't really say I thought I was like Brenda in Diary of an alcoholic houswife, that I thought later on I would drink again, that I would just take a break.
Nah, I just thought I wouldn't be able to last that long. That sooner or later I would cave to my addiction again.
Now saying that, I am ever mindful about NOT EVER drinking again.
Its a battle that I, and all the others here, will fight every day of our lives.
Addiction sucks, royally. Its a monster on your back that takes more and more away from you until there is nothing left. You think it's all cute and cuddly but when you tell it "NO" it grows scales and teeth and claws. Its like a Mogwai, only once you tell it NO it turns into a gremlin.
I kind of wished in a way, that I remember more of the bad times. It is so hard to remember many of those times.
Only really bad memories I have of drinking was the time my 2 yr old son went upstairs by himself and was playing around in his bedroom while I was in a alcohol induced sleep on the sofa downstairs at 10pm, that and the constant running to the bathroom because my stomach was so upset. (almost always #2, I hate vomiting. I could never be a bulimic. Can't stand to vomit)
I remember sitting in the bathroom, shower running, its all steamy, and I'm shaking, feeling miserable. Whether it was physical withdraws or just a hangover. Don't know.
I'm just so glad I woke up.
I'm glad I changed my life and removed alcohol from it.

Still here, still sober and so very grateful.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Glad you got to leave at noon - enjoy your camping trip!

Dad and I were talking about drinking at dinner tonight. He has read many statistics that site the discouraging rates of relapse with drinkers. He told me he's very proud I quit, but that his opinion isn't the one that counts.......my opinion is what counts. How true - we can't stop drinking for anyone but ourselves.

I miss foo foo drinks too - perhaps a virgin strawberry daiquiri would be good this summer.....with a little umbrella of course! I like arnold palmers in the summer too - refreshing.

Man, I've been taking major power walks here in FL. I just get so engrossed in all the beautiful scenery. I think I really needed a vacation more than I realized....just wish hubby could be here too.

Tomorrow is June 1st - the month of my one year anniversary