Notices

Class of February 2013 Part 7

Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

And congratulations on 100 days upandup....
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
now's the time

Venus & upandup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
congratulations.jpg (15.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
now's the time

EasyRider -- I hear you! My inner voice is really stuck on my 30th birthday, which is still a few months ago.

I know other people around the boards have said this doesn't work for them, but I get along easier with my AV when I treat it like a child than when I treat it like a beast. "What about on Christmas, THEN can we have wine??" "We'll talk about it on Christmas. Hush up, it's time for a bike ride."
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

UpandUp, CONGRATS on 100 days, you are in the triple digit club now!!! Awesome!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to you upandup

D
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congrats Venus & UpnUp!

EZ - Gosh, it sounds like your garden is putting pressure on your mental space. Could you hire a neighbor kid to put a dent in it? Maybe block out a 'day' and make it a special event, hook up music, etc.,or maybe even call together a couple of friends for a work party.

Sometimes it's just getting started, but getting started is a real bugger!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi Febbies -

I've got good news!

2 weeks in & my vitamin regime seems to be helping my brain fog & energy levels (and not craving the caffeine like I was). I'm noticing that my moods are better too. Bummer news is that the vitamin pills upset my stomach, and that is getting old real fast.

I'm taking:
mega dose of B1 & fish oil (dosage advised by dr)
normal dosage of Bcomplex (sublingual), multi (liquid), milk thistle.

My hair is noticeably thicker & healthier too. I used to loose tons of hair when I brushed it. Now it's quite a bit less.

My brain is still a bit slow functioning & I still need to focus, but I'm no longer loosing my train of thought mid conversation. B1 corrects a vitamin deficiency, and the fish oil helps build brain tissue.

I think I'm going to start making smoothies in the morning, and put the 'good stuff' in there. I'm liking this 'health stuff'. Never would have guessed....
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That is excellent Serene. And you have solved something for me.
I am also on a big vitamin regime, and I have been noticing bad side effects stomach-wise.
I was wondering if it was just me...hmm.

Glad the brain fog is lifting.

Love V xx
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always take vitamins after meals - it helps

D
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, will try that ♥

V xx
Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
now's the time

That's really good to hear, Serene! I'm on a bunch of vitamins too. Same ones as you plus C and zinc/magnesium/calcium. I definitely notice when I let it slide for a few days.

Which, on a side note, is amazing, that we can notice all these different degrees of wellness vs unwellness. I find it kind of fascinating how I'm learning how to understand my body and also my moods in much more subtle ways. I feel like if I'd been shortsighted for years and only just got my first pair of glasses. As in, WHOA! there is so much more detail than I ever realized! For the last few years it was all boiled down to whether I was on or off alcohol, and then when off, whether I could get out of bed or not.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I am 101 days sober today. Hu-RAY!
In the midst of home-selling(can you say NIGHTmare?) and my stress levels are at dangerous levels. The thought of drinking has came up a time or two, but all it has taken is "Think of the hangover" then its gone, whoosh!
I had an interesting experience last week. I went to "the shack" which is actually a riverfront lot complete with a grill, padded swings, fire pit, an outhouse, a couple of docks, and a little fishing shack stocked up with liquor, a fridge full of beer and snacks galore.
This has been party central for ever. And I have enjoyed many a party there (hundreds) in my lifetime. It is the best. At any given moment there is at least someone there ready to drink with you.
And boy oh boy was it strange....surrounded by 10-12 people in very stages of intoxication. Some pretty sober, some more giggly, some getting in heated buzzed-up conversations. Some "three sheets to the wind"
And it wasnt terrible. I didnt feel annoyed or anything. It was actually incredible interesting just watching and listening.
It was all very familiar yet so alien?
The idea of drinking went through my head many times(obviously) but it was never seriously considered.
I overcame something I thought was going to be a huge obstacle, so yay!

Now I need some advice for stress relief.
I cant use alcohol. I cant use drugs. I cant even use Rx's. What can one do?? Oh and yes I exercise. A lot.
What do you all do???? To STOP the racing thoughts, anxiety, and general unease???
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Triple digits go Venus!

Ooh and well done all the others I missed a whole page will read later lol
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning February class!

There are so many milestones here! Congratulations to all of those that are in, or headed into, the triple digits!

venus I'm so sorry to hear about your work situation. I hope that you are feeling better today. I find that I am having to regularly remind myself that when people behave badly, or do things that hurt me, it rarely has anything to do with me personally. This is really tough for me to do, because I used to blame myself for everything when I was drinking. I didn't have the tools or the ability to see past myself. Maybe that was easier, and served a purpose that kept me in the addictive cycle? Not sure, but I can now see that when someone wrongs me, it is more likely their own issues versus mine, and I tend to see it as something that they need to work on rather than internalizing it. It's tough though. It doesn't come naturally yet.

fantail I completely understand what you are saying in regards to noticing different degrees of wellness vs. unwellness. It's nice to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if I am being too aware of my health and feelings. Maybe, for me, I am just getting to know how my body and mind work in a healthier state?

serene I too am noticing a difference in my hair. So did the ladies at my salon! Wow, that was fast!! It's great when we can see on the outside that which we are improving on the inside.

arctic "The shack" sounds like a great summer place! How great that you could enjoy it sober. As for stress relief, chamomile tea is my "go to". That and taking a "time out". I am learning how important it is for me to have down time. There are moments that I truly need to be free of mental stimulation and distractions. I need for things to slow down once in a while. When my mind starts racing, I find a quiet spot and close my eyes while sipping my tea and slowly breathing. I've even learned to assert to my family that I need a few minutes alone to re-group. The little break does wonders for my inner tranquility.

pamel Oh my goodness!! Your painting is unbelievable! The lights are mesmerizing. Do you sell your work, or is it done for personal pleasure only? You are one talented lady!

easy, 1step, wehav, upand up, and all the Februarians You all inspire me everyday! The beauty that you show in your compassion, and caring for one another, never fails to touch my heart. Best to all of you on this Tuesday morning.

MV
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Arctic I think things like home selling will always be stressful?

I'd self medicated for stress for so long hat my first reaction to stress was 'ooh this is bad...I don't want/can't handle this...must.make. it. go away.'

In fact, I think it was important for me to realise that stress is a normal part of life, and to realise I could handle a lot more stress that I ever thought I could.

Nevertheless I think it's also important to have balance - make sure you have some down time and me time, eat well, get lots of rest, just common sense things like that?

are you into things like meditations and relaxation exercises?
D
Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Congratulations Arctic! !

Love Venus xx
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Afternoon 93 days and what a roller coaster but worth everything ! Been a lil upset my husband sister passed in November last year we had her parents staying with us for a while my daughter gave up her room my sister inlaw was terminally ill with cancer so it was a long painful process and its still going on my niece came to live with me my husband and our 4 kids and her dad works away and I've been trying to get sober my niece has been in and out of school doesn't like that one so we are onto the second one that didn't work so dad is coming home which is really good cause I'm not coping at all I take on other people's pain so much now she's home for 2 weeks till her dad gets back I'm so hurt angry resentful and sympathetic I'm crazy it's been so hard staying sober through this but thank god every chance I get all these emotions are killing me don't know what to do sometimes I'm going to heaps of meetings which help any advise would b appreciated lis
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Arctic, sorry for the few words only this morning, was on my way to work....
Well done you for going to "the shack" and staying sober. I so know what you mean by the familiar-yet-alien feeling. So happy for you that obstacle is a win for you now!!

As Dee said, the stress of moving is huge for everyone. Well, he didn't quite say that, but anyway...it's a big one. And I think the key to it is learning new ways to cope with stress in general.

For me, that starts with my thinking. Understanding that a situation is hard, and literally just taking the steps to get it done, get through it, and breathing. Being mindful that it's OK to feel stress in this situation, there is nothing wrong with me.... and then I don't feel as anxious.

And I always make lists....organisation helps me to stay calm. Anyway, that's just what I do Good luck with the move!!!

Mvngon ~ Thank you. Yes, I blamed myself. Because everything always used to be my own fault.... I guess it's time to let go of that stuff now ♥

Oh Liss that is so hard. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, and for all that your niece is going through. And what a lot to cope with in the first few months of sobriety? Man. But you're doing it. Looking after all of them, and staying sober. What a star!!!

Well you have us now to help with the heavy lifting!

TY Easy and hello.

And love and hello to everyone else as well,

Venus xx
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Arctic, sorry for the few words only this morning, was on my way to work....
Well done you for going to "the shack" and staying sober. I so know what you mean by the familiar-yet-alien feeling. So happy for you that obstacle is a win for you now!!

As Dee said, the stress of moving is huge for everyone. Well, he didn't quite say that, but anyway...it's a big one. And I think the key to it is learning new ways to cope with stress in general.

For me, that starts with my thinking. Understanding that a situation is hard, and literally just taking the steps to get it done, get through it, and breathing. Being mindful that it's OK to feel stress in this situation, there is nothing wrong with me.... and then I don't feel as anxious.

And I always make lists....organisation helps me to stay calm. Anyway, that's just what I do Good luck with the move!!!

Mvngon ~ Thank you. Yes, I blamed myself. Because everything always used to be my own fault.... I guess it's time to let go of that stuff now ♥

Oh Liss that is so hard. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, and for all that your niece is going through. And what a lot to cope with in the first few months of sobriety? Man. But you're doing it. Looking after all of them, and staying sober. What a star!!!

Well you have us now to help with the heavy lifting!

TY Easy and hello.

And love and hello to everyone else as well,

Venus xx
Thanks that's so nice x
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning Feb class

How is everyone? Where is everyone?

V xx