SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2013 Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/292420-class-april-2013-part-3-a.html)

Dee74 04-25-2013 05:05 PM

Stay strong HML - early recovery is hard, but if you can get through this sober you'll get through anything :)

D

Goat 04-25-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HML (Post 3936205)
Lost my **** today -- anger is almost as familiar as the wine -- over a bunch of little things that just added up and I seemed out of control emotionally, and it's only Day 4 AND a Thursday (favorite weekday drinking night, especially on those "I'm being good" weeks when I abstain Monday to Wednesday. Sigh -- gotta make it thru tonight and the weekend. I just HAVE to!!

Me too! Today was *rough*!

But... I wasn't going to post about it because I did not even think about drinking as a result. I think my new found program is working. Instead of thinking about drowning it, I (without thinking) made a plan to address the roughness and smooth the road for the future.

I hope you can move past this "I hope I can make it through" phase soon. I know I have been there many times, and it sucks. Hang in there and it will get easier, especially if you have a plan and stick to it!

I realize I sound sophomoric... I mean, I'm only 9 days sober... but when I felt like you do now it was before I had a solid plan that I was sticking to.

Dee74 04-25-2013 05:10 PM

you hang in there too Goat - we'll get there :)

D

Pedro1234 04-25-2013 05:52 PM

Class of April

Is this thread for people that start sobriety in April?

Goat 04-25-2013 05:52 PM

thanks Dee, but I'm just having one of those days. Here's an example... 5 minutes ago I backed my wife's truck into the garage... and took the side mirror off!

It's been like this all day!

Ali2013 04-25-2013 05:56 PM

Checking in on day 23.

*Most* symptoms are gone and I feel much better.
Even the crankiness is less frequent.

Everything in the past 23 days, all the rough days, are very well worth it.

Hang in there, everyone. I'm praying for all of us.

Ali2013 04-25-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pedro1234 (Post 3936292)
Is this thread for people that start sobriety in April?

Yes, Pedro. Welcome.

Dee74 04-25-2013 05:59 PM

It sure is Pedro.

My day has been similar, Goat LOL

D

Silverotter 04-25-2013 06:06 PM

Day 6 checking in finished medical detox

Dee74 04-25-2013 06:08 PM

good for you SR :)

D

DG0409 04-25-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3936334)
good for you SR :)

D

Wouldn't it be SO for SilverOtter? I don't think it's supposed to be SilveRotter. :)

Dee74 04-25-2013 06:31 PM

LOL I watched too many Dick Dastardly and Snidely Whiplash cartoons as a kid.

The Silver Rotter seemed to fit :lmao

sorry about that SO :)

D

Sobreia 04-26-2013 12:34 AM

Hi all! Hope you are well. First of all I'd like to thank everyone who's so kindly responded to threads and my calls for help and support since signing up to SR. 16 days sober (after a relapse on April 9) and I couldn't have done it without you.

I haven't been posting a lot here over the past few days, and I feel bad for not responding to some of the nice things people have written on here and for not being able to offer support to others. I am sorry about this. I hope to get more active ones things are more stable.

I am feeling constantly tired and I find it hard to focus on the simplest tasks - problems with concentration have escalated over the years and right now I find it especially hard. Feel restless, somehow scared of being left alone with my thoughts (bedtime is particularly hard), but try to keep myself active doing things that give me positive energy (swimming, walking, playing music, singing, dancing, drawing...)

From staying away from coffee (as it would make my heart beat too fast when drinking alcohol, sometimes causing feelings of panic and physical and mental discomfort) I am now drinking three cups a day. I am aware I may be switching one addiction for another, but at least I've stayed away from cigarettes (which I used to smoke like a chain smoker - when drinking) Coffee still makes me feel a little jittery, but not as bad as it would when I was drinking. What are your thoughts on increased coffee consumption when quitting drinking? Somehow coffee gives me that feeling that I have a "little something"; little "pickmeup" and reward to look forward to.

Big hugs to all of you x

Dee74 04-26-2013 12:37 AM

still laughing about the way my brain processes stuff...the Silver Rotter....

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...rythomas_2.jpg

D

fruitymarzipan 04-26-2013 01:18 AM

Hi there everyone, well its been a few days since I last checked in and its taken me ages catching up with everyones posts phew!!! So Im on day 23 here and doing kinda ok i guess. Went back to work at the weekend (after 5 months) and have been working long shifts all week, (im an RN for all the newbies) hence the just checking in today. Work has provided the biggest challenge ever, thanks to everyone who posted words of support. I very nearly wobbled on Tuesday. I was in the walk in drug cupboard getting medication for a patient and the opiates were glaring out at me from the shelf, I could easily have slipped some in my pocket but reminded myself that if I was caught I would be struck off the professional register, and would shame my husband (who is a Cardiologist in the same hospital, for those who dont know me) I didnt wobble, but now im worried that neither of my reasons for not taking them related to my WANTING to be sober, hmmm. I did call the NA helpline last week and spoke to a lovely girl who offered to meet me and take me to a meeting she chairs, she has a little 3 year old too and it seemed we had a lot in common. I havnt taken her up on it yet. She gave me her mobile number so im thinking i should call her, im feeling vulnerable. I think I need to stop kidding myself that I can handle this alone, cause I dont think I can.
On a positive note, we have open house/viewings again this weekend, and the weather forcast is good (it poured with rain the last time) im praying someone falls in love with the house cause I cannot stand the guilt and shame that my poor husband is so stressed working all the hours God sends because of our financial problems which are predominently of my making. Im so lucky he loves me so much. We'v been invited to a dinner and the theatre tomorrow night by friends. It would be nice but to be quite honest even though they have the theatre tickets already, we are not in a financial place where we can afford to go out for lavish dinners. As we both have good jobs (especially hubby) and a big house , kids at private catholic school etc people of course do not know this, we turn things down with a whole variety of convoluted excuses!! Funny isnt it, we look like this imaculate family with a charmed lifestyle, little do people know we are in mortgage arrears, car arrears, credit card arrears, 2 terms (semesters) behind with school fees and the eminent Cardiologist's wife is a drug addict!!! LOL ..Guess you have to see the funny side right. I think I'm hysterical, im having one of those days. The other reason going will be difficult of course is that everyone will be drinking.
Ladybug2, so sorry about your wobble hun, glad your back with us...your an April=ite, hang in there girl. Im with you, this is tough tough. It was a beautiful day yesterday and I wanted nothing last night but to sit in the garden with a glass of wine, but I know if I drink I'l start replacing the pills with alcohol.
Mustlovecoffee love your new avatar.
Silverotter well done on finishing the medical detox, I finished mine day 6/7 and it felt like such an achievement (note: i must focus on that) good for you :)
Well its my day off and I have 101 things to do so guess I better get on!
Hope everyone has a good sober Friday night & weekend ahead. Hugs everyone xx

muskrats21 04-26-2013 04:02 AM

My day 4 was pretty rough too. All over the place emotionally. One of those what could go wrong did go wrong like goat was saying. This will be day 5 and hope it goes better than yesterday. And first weekend coming up since I stopped drinking... ugh.

DG0409 04-26-2013 04:51 AM

Day 18 starting here.

I have a busy planned ahead... and since I have commitments to others, there is no getting out of any of it. I actually prepared yesterday and stocked-up on some healthy snacks so I won't end up starving and cravey while I'm trying to get stuff done.

Hope everyone has a great day. :)

HML 04-26-2013 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by muskrats21 (Post 3936928)
My day 4 was pretty rough too. All over the place emotionally. One of those what could go wrong did go wrong like goat was saying. This will be day 5 and hope it goes better than yesterday. And first weekend coming up since I stopped drinking... ugh.

Looks like we are tracking paths -- this is my day 5, too, and I fear the weekend. I'm busy formulating my plan -- filling every waking minute with (hopefully) fun things to do. The only obstacle I see is that I have plans with hubby for dinner & a movie Sat. nite. I've chosen the place, and maybe it seems silly, but I also know what I'm going to eat. Maybe my control-freak side will be an asset to me after all! Good luck today and keep in touch over the weekend. Think how we will feel waking up Monday without a hangover!

Emily2002 04-26-2013 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by muskrats21 (Post 3936928)

Hope today IS better, Muskrats! Hope you can stay focused on the good things, instead, like the fact that you've been kind to yourself over the past 4/5 days. I thought "ugh" today when I woke up, too, since my husband and I will have a weekend to ourselves for a change (no kids) and chances are I'll be more tempted to join him when he drinks. I plan on reminding myself that I deserve more from life, deserve to be happy and healthy. Numbing myself ... in the past... has only led to more anxiety and depression.

We CAN do it if we keep at it! Hang in there and hope you keep checking in. I know I will... if not to post, then to read and appreciate all that I have and learn ways to make it to long-term sobriety.

Emily2002 04-26-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by HML (Post 3937000)
Looks like we are tracking paths -- this is my day 5, too, and I fear the weekend. I'm busy formulating my plan -- filling every waking minute with (hopefully) fun things to do. The only obstacle I see is that I have plans with hubby for dinner & a movie Sat. nite.

I'm with you but on day 2. My husband and I will be kidless this weekend, which very rarely happens, and I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. I blew 2 1/2 weeks just last weekend, because it was a huge birthday weekend... including my own. This weekend, I will have to keep reminding myself that "special" doesn't = permission to drink!

We can do it, and YES ... checking in here will help. I'm looking forward to a terrific Monday morning, as well, HML!