Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 7

Old 04-18-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Quick check in durin the trigger hour. So glad I have SR on my phone !! Definitely a sober saver!!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Never apologize for upbeat NapsteR. I think its GREAT !!!!!

Stay strong tazzle 1 hour a a time!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good for posting through your triggers Taz! Don't let it get to you!

Napster, what a great post! Still waiting for that pic of you in your leathers, tho.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Good job Taz!

Poll time! It's been a while.

What do you do now that you had never envisioned yourself doing?

For me, I am becoming an upbeat person... Before, I would have had sarcastic, snarky remarks for how I behave now. And yet! Here I am looking for the bright side of everything.

Next?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

ha! I'd forgotton I'd mentioned the leathers before! I'll tell you what, last time we went out one of us had a vid camera on and I happen to be in front of him for a few minutes, I'll send you that - apologies in advance for his potty mouth, and riding skills!

righty ho - Mr Cr@p at Time Management and Can't Properly Motivate Without Staring down the Barrel of A Deadline NapsteR1 is off to bed at 01:41 and will be getting up at 06:00 - what a silly arse!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Gonzo - Stephen King's Insomniac and his Gunslinger series are very firm favorites of mine. I've anyone hasn't read Great Apes by Will Self I highly recommend it, I bet you can't get halfway through it and start looking at your fellow human beings in a different light.
The Dark Tower series is still my favourite thing I've ever read. Also, if some have never read Stephen King then I'd recommend the Stand, so so good.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
p***enger

Morning all -- so so tired today and wish I could take the day off but it's not to be.

I'm of mixed minds on Stephen King -- sometimes I love him, sometimes he really irritates me. I read a lot of him in the 1980s (so old, I am!) What do you fans think of his recent stuff?

Thanks Napster for the vid! I'm going to take the ride today -- like a little vacation at my desk.

Tam: most surprising change? The explosion of my social world! I can't believe how many names I know, how many numbers are in my phone, how many people I recognize & talk to every day. It's AA, & it's 180 degrees from my old me, & I actually (mostly) like it!

Hugs, all.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Tam - I really don't do anything new now but everything I do is with a clear head.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
p***enger

PS by explosion I mean I talk to maybe 3 people a day, -- not 100. But that's an increase of about 300%.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm of mixed minds on Stephen King -- sometimes I love him, sometimes he really irritates me. I read a lot of him in the 1980s (so old, I am!) What do you fans think of his recent stuff?
Well he has been writing stuff for 40+ years, not all is going to be gold. I'm of mixed minds myself on his recent stuff, loved Under the Dome though.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

really quick stop in, busy weekend planned, fishing new areas, seeing new areas. great weekend! so dont worry if I dont check in. happy weekend all!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still think S. King has had more hits than misses - I loved 11.23.63.

Have a good weekend Taz - and everyone - stay sober

D
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Have a good weekend taz and everbody.

Courage sounds like great progress to me!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hey Guys

Quick check in (I know, a bit tardy. But sober)

I'm on a mission today to quit smoking and am really determined. I just lit my 2nd to last one.

Meanwhile, I'm making a list of the advantages of NOT smoking while having a jar with $8 already of what I would have spent on smoking for the day. Each day I will add another $8 and watch the money grow.

A good deterrent is a neighbor wants me to make curtains for her. She would be really disappointed to get them back smelling like an ashtray. It's a project that will keep my hands busy and hopefully not think about smoking.

I have started exercising on a regular basis and feel the improvements already. The treadmill will get easier when I can breath again.

My son will be here for a couple months over the summer and he's always ridiculed me for smoking. So there's another reason to quit!

Wish me luck while I'm off to find the smoking cessation thread here.

I'll catch up with the other posts later.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Goood luck Cat. I had my last smoke 2/7/2012. It was hard - still is in fact - but we all know its worth it.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
p***enger

I started smoking since I got sober -- I know, I know, but it's only about 4/day -- so I'm full of admiration for you, Cat!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I started smoking since I got sober -- I know, I know, but it's only about 4/day -- so I'm full of admiration for you, Cat!
Me too! Only 4 or 5 hand rolled a day tho, will start running again soon now the weathers better so will wind down the cigs.

Took the girls up to the local motocross / off road place today, was going to take my dirt bike too but the front wheel bearings have seized up over the winter so no joy there. We were there from about 11:00 to 16:00, put two ver tired girls to bed this evening and am about to go hit the sack, face is glowing from a touch of sunburn too would you believe! Not seen the sun since October!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Rest well Napster.

Courage - if smoking helps you not drink I say a few a day for awhile is fine. Someday though you will have to quit those, too. I have to work on my cough drop habit next. I started to repalce the cigs but I eat so many now it can't be good.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Good for you cat! I quit a few years ago and had a rule that I would only smoke when I had a drink. Now that I quit drinking, I don't smoke at all.

Just gt back from a meeting and I have to work, we have a system install going in at 1:30. About to make some coffee to help! We had a wild meeting tonight... There is a gentleman that just likes attention, negative, positive, doesn't matter as long as it is attention. I wish I knew what to say in these situations. I know that I wanted to say, what I would say if I was at work being the boss... I guess I will learn one day.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi folks.

Re: Steven King... I enjoyed the Dark Tower book 1 and 2, I should finish the series. I listen to audio books a lot during my drive to and from work but I could never listen to a Steven King book on audio! He's too descriptive with unpleasant things for it to work for me haha! I'd be blocking my ears half the drive. I really enjoyed Misery, found it to be incredibly compelling. The one Dee mentioned was good. Cujo wasn't great.

The best book I've read recently was called City of Thieves - it struck a chord with me that I wasn't expecting.

Good luck quitting smoking. I ended up going to the doctor and getting a script for Champix (or something like that). Worked wonders for me, I quit about 4 years ago now, and after about 3 months I didn't even get cravings, even when drinking. I'm hoping to have the same result with alcohol, to live without any desire to drink. My goal for sobriety is not to "not drink" but to "not want to drink"...

Um, not much to report. Been back in a funny mood again.

Warning - relationship rant coming up... I am having trouble adjusting to my relationship now I'm sober. It's hard for me to appreciate what he must've gone through while I was drinking and I don't know if I'm pushing us apart. I often ignored him for days when I was drinking because I'd rather drink than stay sober long enough to call him after he finished work late at night. But now I'm sober I'm getting upset that if I don't call him he doesn't call me or wonder what's going on. For him I guess he's used to just not hearing from me and it not being a big deal. I feel like I'm changing the rules on him. So many other things I used to let him "get away with" because it was either something that enabled me to drink (like him playing computer games almost non-stop in his free time), or because I felt like it had to suffer for my flaws so part of that would be letting him act in certain ways (like the not calling and generally not being very emotive/affectionate - I know he does love me, but the last time he said that was 2 months ago, and he's probably said it less than a dozen times in 6 years).

I read a quote recently that said "We accept the love we think we deserve", and I can't help but wonder if maybe now I feel better of myself I'm expecting more from him. Is that fair after 6 years of status quo, to suddenly expect him to be a different person just because I've been sober for a few months? No. But is it fair to keep living with something that isn't right? I'm 30 years old now and the clock is ticking on my decision for children, so can I afford to keep letting things go while I tell myself "just wait until you've been sober for longer to make a decision. Just don't say anything now, wait until you see him next and can have a face to face conversation about things". Etc.

Anywho, that's where my head's at at the moment, sorry for the whinging. It's another one of those things where there is just no one I can talk to because I don't want to explain the alcoholism and the situation doesnt make sense without that background. Then I come here and it just seems to come out.

Hope all are well.