Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 7

Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Nap, your post killed me about the meter maid. Sorry about the ticket. Those suck.

Courage, I read although currently it had all been memoirs, usually recovery in nature. Back when I was drinking I had hundreds of books, literally, and I would pour a glass of wine and read... And then not get very far because I would be too drink to read. Eeesh! I should work on my stacks I have here and in the kindle.

I am having a tough work day. My computer is on the fritz an it is ticking me off but i will get over it. You just don't realize how much you use something until it is out of commission. Lol meeting tonight, I'm taking someone with me... And my sponsor said not to overcommit... I need to work on that.

Howdy to everyone else. I hope none of you all are affected by Boston. I made sure at work we checked in with a client who lives there. So sad.

Lynn
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I love reading, also when I'm reading I'm not drinking, just never been able to do both, probably because once I start drinking I go till its pass out time or its way too late to start reading. I love Stephen King, and I read all of A Song of Ice and Fire before they did Game of Thrones on HBO. My current favourite is James Michener, always been a bit of a history buff and his writing style is just so perfect for that, he was meticulous in his historical details with a fictional storyline thrown in.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

courage I love reading too. Had to give it up for a little while though I was staying up all night reading. I have always been a James Patteson fan. LOve his character Alex Cross. Any kind of mystery fiction is OK in my "book" (ha Ha)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

evening all! decent day at work, boss on the grumpy side, which doesnt happen very often thankfully. Everyone has days. The worst thing about my slip is now the voice thinks it can speak up again especially in the afternoon. thankfully its not the desparate overwhelming "need". I know I have to be aware and stick to my guns.

Still running with ya Napster! altho with the weather changing I may switch to my harley.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

just a quick hello (waves )

in library and time running out. this rural living is amazing. we had a power cut this morning. our water is from a well which is pumped out so when no electric there is no water. It's a great adventure and makes me realize just how dependant we are on basic things. on a positive note the weight is dropping off me from all these rural pursuits I've not had a drink, nor really thought of having one.

Hope everyone is ok. TTBABP, I love Alex cross too and the womens murder club

Speak soon.xx
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to see you RAL...I think my sense of adventure differs tho LOL

D
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey folks, it's so good to see you all again

TTBABP - hugs

Courage - you made me giggle with this line "My current thing is that I'll allow myself to drink again when I'm 75" because I 100% relate to it! Whatever gets us through the day though!

Tam - way to go on 120 days! It's really great to see it like that too, way to go future Tam I'd love to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, I didn't even know it was a musical. I love the movie

Taz, Napster, RAL - good to see you all.

Gonzo, I wish I hadn't read the Game of Thrones series! I got to the end and then looked up how long the gaps were between the books being published... then realised there are 2 more books in the series! Oi! I hope George RR Martin gets his butt into gear, especially with the ending of the last book!

Currently I'm reading the Iron Druid chronicles. It's a good fun (light) read, I'm quite enjoying it. One of the main characters is an Irish Wolfhound which I love, because one of the main characters in my house is my Irish Wolfhound It's funny when he talks about some of the wolfhound mannerisms and I can just seem my boy doing the same thing!

Marria, I don't think we've but, but hello Way to go on 127 days!

Things are still going well here. I'm feeling a lot better in general, and I noticed today that I didn't even think about alcohol until 8am, which is pretty good I think. I'm losing weight also which does make me feel good, about 10lbs now.

I better get going. There was a police car outside one of the houses on my street when I got home and I can hear a bunch of banging and whatnot from outside, so I think I'll go retire to a part of the house away from the window haha! I've brought my big wolfie inside to keep me company.

Much love, Alice.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

PS Dee - Much love to you also of course and as always
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks for the book recs, everyone. I'll keep them in mind when/if I EVER finish Infinite Jest. Michener might be good for me because his books are so long. The last couple of years I pretty much quit reading.

Taz you sound great! Keep beating down those urges! I wonder if AVRT would be a good thing for you?

RAL, I'm glad you checked in from your Scottish retreat. It sounds like a fantasy -- I'm not sure I could handle the reality. I <3 skyscrapers, busy sidewalks, and >100 coffee shops in walking distance!

Alice, great post, & great to hear from you. You sound like a different person since last December. Congratulations on all your progress.

TTBABP, how are you doing? What's been going on since the slip?

My sponsor sent me this link -- Check it out ! Tiny sip of beer enough to trigger dopamine release - The Body Odd

Seems to fit my experience.

Hi Dee, Tam, Napster, Marria, & all!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Happy Day everyone.

Taz – I hear you about that afternoon voice – sp on days when work is rough and the boss a little cranky. You’re doing great though.

RAL – so great to hear from you. You sound good – I am happy. I agree with Dee though I think my idea of adventure might be different too. (However depending on what Dee’s is - mine may be the opposite of that). I think a weekend getaway in the summer to a place with no air conditioning is a “roughing it” kind of adventure.

Hey Alice thanks so much! That must be a pretty big doggie you have. They are beautiful dogs but quite large no? Glad you are doing well with the urges and great that you sound so upbeat.

Hey Courage doing OK thanks for asking. The scary thing is my slip was kind of comfortable - just sort of like putting on my fuzzy robe and slippers at the end of the day. Since the day after the slip – when I felt absolutely awful – getting back to the swing of sobriety has been just as easy and comfortable – felling at least. That’s why it’s so scary. I know I have to be conscious of it all. How bad the slip made me feel and that it can slip over me again. The everyday are still not hard – I still have to be super vigilant on the weekends and at gatherings which have alcohol. I neglected to have a plan last time. I will not make that mistake again.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
p***enger

Awesome post, TTBABP -- I can imagine those fuzzy robe & slippers-- I can imagine how comfortable it would be -- for the first few drinks. But I wouldn't be able to stop at comfortable. And comfortable slides into pathetic, sad & disgusting really fast -- for me at least!

Stay the sober course!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The everyday are still not hard – I still have to be super vigilant on the weekends and at gatherings which have alcohol. I neglected to have a plan last time. I will not make that mistake again.

I second that!

Since books are a currant topic, I do not do a lot of reading but I tend to go for the historical non fiction. Love first person accounts of peoples adventures both past and currant. I will be honest and admit to also loving anne mcaffrey's dragonriders series, (which is the total opposite) they are a nice escape into another world.

Stay safe everyone, will check in later
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hah, at least he was mostly finished by the time you got into it Alice, the wait for A Dance with Dragons just about killed me. Courage I'd recommend Hawaii or Caribbean to start, you'll be hooked on Michener after either of those.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi All

Bit of a drive by today, sorry. Just got finished on bid response 3 out of the 5 that need to be out this week and bed is calling, don't want to see midnight again!

Ride safe Taz and remember, Loud Pipes Save Lives!

(or Loud Pies Save Lice as the iDevice thinks I should have typed!)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

My idea of adventure is no internet TTBABP lol
Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

---- Time to get busy living ----

Word
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My idea of adventure is no internet TTBABP lol
Ha! Love it.

Be well class.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi class!

Sounds like a lot of people are busy living as Gonzo says & working hard.

I still struggle with work -- it's a lot like struggling to stay sober -- some days are better than others, some hours are good and some aren't. Today is pretty full -- meeting my sponsor & then a noon meeting, then work until ~9 p.m. Teaching a class tonight which is tiring but easy.

It's a good thing to be busy -- no time for stinking drinking or thinking!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Howdy!

Busy days this week since I threw in working out, eesh. But it is necessary and I would rather Zumba than drink.

Alice! Good to see you and congrats on the 10 lbs!

Ready... I'm not sure I would call any of that an adventure... Lol but if you like it, then good on you!

Gonzo, I haven't read any Michener. My mom did, she had Hawaii, I remember her talking about it.

Courage, that was a n extremely interesting article. You know, when I drank, I used to feel everything change with one sip. Like, a euphoric feeling, that's what did it for me everytime.

Taz, glad you are still in the running.

TT, glad you are still here too!

Howdy Marria! And hi to Dee! And anyone else I missed... I should work on that cheat sheet thing... Lol

At work, lots to do, it is an install weekend so. Lots of work, lots of working out and drinking water to stay sane. Everyone have a great day!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello All, I've had a day working from home on my lonesome all day, got one bid out and have another to go get, will definitly see midnight this evening but have done some personal errands today like take the campervan for it's MoT (annual roadworthness test compulsory for all vehicles over 3 years old used on the UK roads) as the camper was built in 1982 it was abit of a lottery in terms of the work that might need to be done to get it to pass the test.

Failed on

rear stop light bulb out
rear numberplate illumination bulb out
2 tyre sidewalls perished
shock absorber mount has been repaired with a welded plate that needs a £75 re-weld

and that's it!

not bad for a 30 year old vee-hickle

also saw a vid posted on SR about a guy who dies in rehab, that was abit of a reality shock, just as I had a fleeting AV shout this afternoon of "no-one about, drinkie time?".

umm, no.... ever.

Taz - I need to hear about that ride out you had please

Courage - very interesting article and spot on too, that first half hour when the booze comes rushing in is actually the only bit I was ever after!

Alice - very well done on the weight loss, I've dropped about a stone and a half since Dec 12, it's one of the major drivers that daily shouts down the AV. I bought a set of m'cycle race leathers off ebay in a size I thought I still was about 2 years ago, they're really comfy now - dorry I haven't said Hi earlier!

RAL - sounds amazing, I'd love to have some of that! I've got a Sales Conference coming up next week, pre-booked hotel room, free bar, 900 drunken sales people asking me why I'm not drinking - if you don't mind I'll be teleporting my conciousness up there with you for the duration of the event to draw on the peace and quiet

Gonzo - Stephen King's Insomniac and his Gunslinger series are very firm favorites of mine. I've anyone hasn't read Great Apes by Will Self I highly recommend it, I bet you can't get halfway through it and start looking at your fellow human beings in a different light.

Hugs Time - I'll give you a pillon ride on my sober'cycle!

apologies for all the ! just feeling very upbeat today for some reason!!!