Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 7

Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Morning all!

I went to a show last night, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, it had the original Broadway cast. It was fun, I am not a big musical person, in fact, I hate them but this was ok. I got the tickets for my partner for her birthday. Also! Normally, I would have had wine before we got there, then wine once we got there and I never would have enjoyed the show because I would be worried about getting another glass of wine. This was so much better... And eye opening.

Today, chores. Cooking for the week, cleaning, laundry. I was telling my partner no plans for the next couple of weekends. We have been very busy and it is at a point where I'm tired from the weekend. Lol

Today is 120 days for me!

Napster, good to hear from you! Does that driving ever get to you?

Gonzo, good luck with the hockey.

Courage, congrats tomorrow!

Alice, come on back!

Hi Dee, TT, Marria, grandma, Taz, and everyone else!

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-234992769.jpg (88.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations Tam on 120! You're an inspiration -- positive attitude & great perspective even on things that I know are hard! Thanks for being one day ahead of me all the time!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning all, quiet Sunday planned, it actually tried snowing here this morning. Yes Masters coverage is on the plate.

TT don't let it get to you, the shame really doesn't help in any way.

Interestingly enough the one guy who used to take the **** the hardest was getting stuck into his 4th pint
If they make it about who can drink the most/fastest then their own alcoholism isn't the topic of discussion.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Courage, great day on the bikes, started here

Loomies - A family run traditional roadside "cafe"

then here

Newlands Corner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to here

The Chalet Cafe Horsham, West Sussex on allmotorcyclestuff.com

but it was shut

so we went here

Whiteways Cafe

and then back home, 170 miles and lots of smiles later!

lots of tea and no booze :o)

shame about the 05:30 start tomorrow...

Very huge and many congrats on 120 days Tam! Yes the driving does get to me but it kind of comes with the job, give it a couple more years and I'll be out of Sales I think and into more of a Techie role.

Have been mulling over getting a tattoo for a coupld of years, a dragon asleep 'round my shoulders with the tail curling down my left arm (to hide the scars). I'll get the outline done when I get to 100 days, then fill in the scales for every 100 days sober thereafter.

Last edited by NapsteR1; 04-14-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-14-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TTBABP I'm so sorry you slipped and the feeling afterwards is dreadful. I hope you're feeling better and have been able to let it go as you start again.

I'm fine, last week was very difficult for some reason as I felt very down and couldn't shake it off for days. I'm better now and lets hope it stays that way! That's the thing about sobriety, having to feel all those feelings without easing them with alcohol. Its real life all the time now!!

All the best to everyone for a good week ahead.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Courage I did get out to a street festival today with food and vendors and music. It did lift my spirits some. Glad to see you on the one year and under thread, too!! I encourage all Decembrites to check out that thread - great group.

Hey Lynn - I had wanted to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert but did not get there. So glad you enjoted it and enjoyed it sober.

Thankls gonzo - I know you are right about the shame. Enjoy the Masters.

Hey Marria good to see you. Thanks for the kind words. Gald you are feeling better. ITs hard when that funk hits. Hopefully we can all stay bright.

Napster - that's a long ride!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi all!

Actually got some work done on my most-dreaded-project ever today -- then made it to a meeting where the speaker was very upbeat and funny. And my son made it to town for a job interview tomorrow a.m. & had dinner w/us -- he's very nervous about graduation & his future but I think he's doing fine. Wish I could calm his anxiety but he's at an anxious-making time in his life, and there's not much I can do. I fed him -- a lot!

TTBABP -- a street festival does sound like fun! Were there kiddie rides? I haven't been to a street fair in years. It's good to think of all the things we can do again.

Napster, thanks for sharing your itinerary! Now I can do a pretend ride of my own, along your stops. I'm trying to choose a meal from the cafe -- what's a bap? Do you recommend the chicken & mushroom pie?

So many choices-- before there weren't really any choices -- just the imperative to drink as soon as possible, whatever I could afford, and as much as I could risk. I'm so glad that's over with.

G'night Tam, Gonzo, Marria, Dee, and all.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post

Napster, thanks for sharing your itinerary! Now I can do a pretend ride of my own, along your stops. I'm trying to choose a meal from the cafe -- what's a bap? Do you recommend the chicken & mushroom pie?
No problem it was the first proper sunny day of the year too so a great day to get out.

A bap is a large (7" diameter or so) bread roll into which it's possible nay obligatory to cram the contents of a Full English Breakfast at the commencement of a day's riding. Being natually high in all the essential vitamins and minerals and also being the optimum blend of all the major food groups in the perfect balance for any modern athlete it makes for a great start to the day!

Conversely - With these kinds of roadside establishments, it's a brave person indeed that would take on a pie of any description! You know where you are with a bacon and egg bap as the ingredients are visable as separate items – who knows what goes into those pies or how long they’ve been hanging around for in a box out the back before arriving under your nose on a paper plate. We’ve had a big scandal across Europe with various manufacturer's “beef” products being found to contain horse and pig DNA so even the burgers are off the menu for me.

It’s been a standard joke for years that the only meat that ends up in pies and burgers is the stuff that you really wouldn’t want to see on a plate (ar5ehole5 and earholes is the phrase) so quite why anyone’s surprised that some meat of dubious origins has found its way into budget beefburgers and lasagnes is anyone’s guess. Apparently sales of horsemeat in the UK are actually up following the scandal as it’s fairly lean and cheap and I guess people are thinking that if they’ve been eating it anyway for years – why the hell not!

Now sat in Burton on Trent for the day to sit through some training that I helped put together later this afternoon (so questioning why the flip I need to be in the audience frankly) – then back home and London for the rest of the week.

Day 14 begins today!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ah yes, Napster -- I do believe you are a fan of Mr. Pratchett. It sounds like you've run into Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, the sausage merchant.

I'll take a bap!

Great day to everyone! I didn't sleep last night what with the young feller being at home & all, but there are worse things than lack of sleep!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hey everyone

How are you all? I've missed you so much!!

Sorry to hear you slipped TTBABP but great to see you back posting.

courage-I hope you are doing ok, it's must be scary seeing your children off into the world. My son started at his new pre school today and I was so nervous! He was fine and loved it thankfully.

Lynn -great stuff on 120 days

Napster-great to see you posting more

Just a quick check in as I'm in the library. the big move went ahead on Friday and I'm now currently resident in a field in the middle of the Scottish wilderness. I have no phone signal, no TV signal, no internet, limited water and only communal refuse facilities 2 miles away so I have to drive the rubbish down every day. It sounds mad but I'm absolutely loving it. There is just sea, sky, wind and animals everywhere. There is the odd tractor but apart from that no noise at all-it's heavenly and perfect for the anti-social me

The local people are very welcoming which is great as I was worried they may not be to friendly to 'outsiders'. Definitely done the right thing moving. I can't check in often as only come into town a couple of times as week.

I will have Sky connected soon so will be back online again at some point in the next 2 weeks but just wanted to check in and say hi.

I'm back off now to do my domestic chores and must have lost at least half a stone already living the rural life

Take care all.xx
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Courage – the only kiddies rides they had were GIANT bouncy house, a bouncy slide and some other big inflatable thing. Glad you got some work done . Feels great to accomplish something.

Napster I had heard about that horse meat thing awhile back. I must say I am not one of those women who shuns red meat. I love a big burger or steak but I just can’t bear the thought of eating horse.

So good to hear from you RAL. Your new location does actually sound kind of nice – primitive but peaceful. Enjoy it while you can. Thanks for your support.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

its monday and a new week for me. I won't go so far as to say "good morning" as I have not had enough coffee and it was a long weekend. Glad to be home in my own bed and shower

The week looks like I will be getting lots of walking in, yeah! Good to be back in a routine.

Napster- you had a great weekend it sounds! good to get out and get some throttle therapy in! that can cure about anything!

RAL- Gosh it sounds so wonderful where you are at now! both physically and mentally.

TT- Love street festivals! actually any festival or fair makes me happy. Fun energy, especially the "fruit" festivals, the cherry festival, strawberry festival (love strawberry shortcake!)

Yeah Tam! 120 days! nice

Courage- You are always an inspiration and love your posts!

Anyway I have delayed getting started on the work on my desk long enough, so I had best get going before the boss shows up. take care all!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Morning!

Ready, awesome to hear from you. I m somewhat jealous... But I am a city girl deep down. Would still live landscape pics.

Napster, a nap sounds scary. Lol

Taz, get to work!

TT, glad you're hanging in there and haven't gone away.

Courage. Ugh. Lack of sleep is the worst for me. I'm non functioning if I am tired.

Howdy to everyone else!

At work, I have Zumba tonight, still working through my 4th step, my sponsor told me last night to be careful to not over commit to anything, including the program. Being overwhelmed is a big trigger for people.

Everyone have a good sober day!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Ah yes, Napster -- I do believe you are a fan of Mr. Pratchett. It sounds like you've run into Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, the sausage merchant.
Yep, the sausageinnabun vendor!

Apparently it was the pies they serve at UK soccer stadiums that gave him the idea!

London tomorrow then Newbury then home and more packing, whoop whoop!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

127 days today! Its hard to believe that I am writing this... for so long I lurked on SR, posting between slips and so envious of anyone who got beyond 20 days. So this disease is manageable and it doesn't have to win, though it tries damn hard to do so!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, Marria!

Just sending compassion to anyone here on this thread and throughout SR with family or loved ones in Boston.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Marria congratulations!

Courage, congrats on 120 days!

I hope everyone here and their families are well today.

Lynn
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Nice thought Courage. Really makes you appreciate each sober day when you see the pain and suffering people involved in these tragedies go through. Life truly is precious and it makes me realize that I have to appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good morning, everyone!

RAL, your move sounds like an amazing change. I hope you send pictures when you get a chance. Sound so Robert Louis Stevenson! Looking forward to whenever you can check in.

TTBABP, nice to read your thoughtful posts, as always.

Napster, what are you reading these days? I'm still pushing through Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, which is scary, sad, funny -- and SO long. Plus I can only read it in small doses because it bends my mind.

Any other readers on the thread? Recommendations?

Hugs to all -- hope the next 24 hours send you each something to be grateful for!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thoughts are with Boston, I wonder who's behind it?

Managed to pick myself up a £40 parking ticket in London, I swear if you did an HD slow mo video comparison between a striking rattler and a London Parking Enforcement Officer the rattler would prove to be a good few hundredths of a second slower off the mark, w@**ers.

Will be working far too late to drink again and am up early tomorrow too - just need to keep a close eye on HALT at the end of the week as I'm going to be pretty run down - and keep surfing them urges!

Hi Courage, I was recommended The Mongoliad (the Foreworld Saga) by Mrs Napster, gamely started reading it and am kind of underwhelmed but I've started on book 2 now and I'm interested enough in what happens next to carry on. Not completely my kind of this but is a welcome break from MPLS Fundamentals which I'm also ploughing through but moreover for work reasons!

Stay strong all