Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 2

Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I can relate to those who are trying to convince their partners that you have a drinking problem. My husband is very caring and supportive, but will often manage to say the dumbest thing to me about this. I told him that I was done drinking, perhaps even in social situations, and that I didn't want any drama in the air if everybody else drank and I didn't. Hehe was like, "You're going to have to face that someday." No s*! Even when my liver tests were sky high, he made light of it all. I kind of wanted him to be a little more worried about it. I think our partners go through a lot too when we stop drinking. They are dealing with losing a person they knew, even if it wasn't all good. Rules are changing. And maybe they've heard us say that we are going to quit before, but in a half-ass way. They might be going through a denial of their own and have to fit you in the model of what they believe to be an alcoholic.
Yesterday I was feeling like a whiny baby because I had a sore throat and I caught my daughter's cold. So I fixed myself an Evan Williams and Diet Pepsi. I thought it would numb my throat. Boy, was I wrong! It was like drinking battery acid. How does this work? Even if I only had one drink and I was technically sober, do I have to start my count over? It will be two weeks on Tuesday and even if today is back to day one, I'm still proud of where I am at. Last night could have been a real disaster, but I value my sobriety over drinking. That's like a major earthquake in my brain- huge shifts are occuring.
I hope everyone has a great week!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
That doesn't happen very often

I've been on here nearly constantly for the past several days and I keep wondering exactly when you sleep...
I have wonderd that about the both of you haha
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScoutBall View Post
Cheers all. Cheers TO you all, all of you lovely, sober, successful Fighting Bandicoots.

I am here. Today concludes week 3 of no drinkin' for this fellow.

I'm pretty satisfied overall. Except, one thing in LadyBug's post struck a chord. I have been one grouchy bas^@#d.

No real reason, I am just irritable, and kind of snappy. Trying to keep it in check, but it's such a wild ass change, so quickly...I can hardly keep up.

Went and paddled today. Showed buddy "our" beach. Was hot, sunny, and surprisingly not too busy. Spent some good time in the water...got a nice patio dog door installed for the BEAST (my actual beast...not that thing that bugs me from time to time).

Essentially playing tourist this week with buddy. So far so good. He's real supportive--but not completely understanding. (This guy never has seen a "real rippa" --respects to Boston).

Wife is leery about work this week, which I completely understand. Me unleashed with a pal in the past would most CERTAINLY involve a night or two "out". And, uncharted waters could certainly be something that could happen.

One thing I am vastly thankful for: I never did anything really crazy, illegal, or horrendously shameful while a complete drunk. Don't get me wrong: I'm not claiming to have behaved myself in total all the time...but never did anything ridiculous like strippers, call girls or anything of the like. I'm certain it was just a matter of time.

I'll just call that my Irish luck--and dodging bullets at the same time.

I feel really good. I feel like I have decent energy on Up days, but I feel like a complete slug that wants nothing but sleep on Down days. Trying to exercise a bit more frequently...however it's a little hard with the Blue Dog having a bum shoulder. He's supposed to be resting...which is nigh impossible with a two-year old dog who is referred to as BEAST-O in our home.

"How's BEAST-O?"

"Hanging off the ceiling fan".

"I see, having a pretty calm day, huh?"

"Yep. The car is still here".

"Ok! See you after work!"

I wish you all well in your journeys. Stay tough. Stay committed. Support each other, but most of all be kind to yourself. You're the only one you've got--and you've earned it!
Be well,
Scoutie.
Me to with the moods mate hope it will change
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Welcome Muskrats! Glad to see you here!

Mystique -- it does seem like a lot of people are getting crap from their families about getting sober. But it's not definitely going to happen. I, for example, am very lucky in that my family is being extremely supportive.

Also, on the NA beer... That subject comes up like clockwork in the newcomers threads, so much so that people joke about it. My opinion is that it is a gateway to drinking real alcohol and as such is not worth the risk.

DG - congrats on two whole weeks!

Day 6 for me! And, guess what? My AV made not one single peep yesterday. I shut it up pretty hard at the winery on Saturday. Still keeping an eye out for he next time it pops up its stupid head though
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Live for my son

I am back to stay

I am back after not doing so well with my sobriety.
I have been sober for 3 weeks now...the day after Easter.
My guardian angel came to me that day (being my brother-in-law) and talked to me about living a sober life and going to AA.
So i picked my self up the next day and went to our local recovery center and got lots of aa meeting info.
So far I have gone to a few, I do like them.

Anyways, its hard but I am here.
One day at a time.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Welcome back 'boarder!

I'm glad you are here. Congrats on the three weeks, and on going to meetings!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Hello everyone - well I made it to 14 days: 2 weeks : a fortnight (so many ways to say it, it must be special , :-)!

However, I have got an uber- stressful and long few work days coming up which are going to involve early starts, late finishes and getting stuff done under tight timescales and too stoopid exacting standards. *In the past* (I hope) I'd have rewarded myself / numbed the stress with lots of red wine (a functioning alcoholic if you will). In these unavoidable situations I don't really want to be 100% aware of everything as its just a stress-fest but the nature of the beast/ my job, hence the alcohol previously putting a nice haze on everything....

As I won't have time to stay calm does anyone have any tips suggestions as to how to process a stressed body full of adrenaline and worry without reaching for my usual self-medication of copious amounts of alcohol?

I really want to try and change long established patterns of behaviour and thought processes so any ideas gladly received.

Thanks all and hopefully see you on the other side (dons 'sober suit & helmet')....
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Congratulations on your fortnight! (when I hear that I always think "man, nights must seem really long when you're living in a fort!")

I have often self-medicated with alcohol to reduce the effects of stress. But what I have found is that while alcohol usually reduces my stress in the short term, it *always* increases it in the long term. That's what I remind myself of when I'm facing a stressful time ahead.

I am sure you will come out of your stressful days ahead unscathed as long as you don't open the bottle!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi all - Day 15 for me here, although I almost blew it this weekend. Son was acting out all weekend and pushing all my buttons. One of the hardest parts of not drinking for me is that fact that the stress/frustration/etc that I was drinking to reduce/deal with is there whapping me in the face, so learning to deal with it without drinking is hard.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Just called the local treatment center. I'm thinking I'll go in there and see what they offer.

Thursday I'll go to their intake interview and they'll decide what level of counseling would be good for me. They offer everything from weekly visits with a therapist to a 6-week intensive outpatient program. I figure it can't hurt. If they do suggest the intensive outpatient (which, frankly, is fine with me) I'll have to cancel some of my extracurricular activities for a while, but I'm doing too much as it is.

The only worry I have -- I have done their intensive outpatient program before, in 2002. At the time I was very new to the whole recovery scene and, although I ultmately stayed sober that time for 5 years, when I finished the program I was kinda burned out on recovery and didn't even go to AA for a while. Now, of course, I will freely admit I spent those 5 years as a dry drunk, so maybe I just wasn't ready to "get with the program". This time I know what I'm getting into... and... I'm not being court-ordered to do it.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a beer drinker, so drinking NA beer was very like old behaviour for me - except I missed the buzz. You don't have to be a psychic to work out how that ended up...

Lots of chores today so I'm taking the day off, more or less...hope everyone else has a great day

D
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hi P.Lily! That theme of stress being a driving factor in drinking is really common, but it seems to be *really* common in this particular class.

So many people have referenced relief from the stress of dealing with kids, in particular as their reasons for wanting a drink.

For me, interestingly, it has never been the kids directly. The kids usually calm me down -- but then again mine are older, well-behaved, intelligent *, and lacking in alcoholism (for now, though I have warned them that there is a genetic component). My stress usually comes from their mother (my ex wife), from work, and time interference from my volunteer activities (scouts and sports -- they de-stress me while I'm actually directly involved, but planning around the time needed for them in stressful).

Anyway, long story short... you're in good company here!

* edit: I realized this could be taken to mean I think other people's kids are not well-behaved or intelligent. That is NOT what I meant... please don't take it that way
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lots of chores today so I'm taking the day off, more or less...hope everyone else has a great day
You deserve it in spades, Dee!

I know I've said it before, but I am sure I don't say enough how much I appreciate you. You're kind of a hero/role model to me. I aspire to be as good a man as you are.

I know you don't take compliments very well (you deflect them almost every time), but just shut up and take it :-D
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

gotta go...so thanks Goat!

D
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Just called the local treatment center. I'm thinking I'll go in there and see what they offer.

Thursday I'll go to their intake interview and they'll decide what level of counseling would be good for me. They offer everything from weekly visits with a therapist to a 6-week intensive outpatient program. I figure it can't hurt. If they do suggest the intensive outpatient (which, frankly, is fine with me) I'll have to cancel some of my extracurricular activities for a while, but I'm doing too much as it is.

The only worry I have -- I have done their intensive outpatient program before, in 2002. At the time I was very new to the whole recovery scene and, although I ultmately stayed sober that time for 5 years, when I finished the program I was kinda burned out on recovery and didn't even go to AA for a while. Now, of course, I will freely admit I spent those 5 years as a dry drunk, so maybe I just wasn't ready to "get with the program". This time I know what I'm getting into... and... I'm not being court-ordered to do it.
Wow goat didn't know you had done this before, you did 5 years sober then went back am gutted to here that, makes things feel so much harder, I could relapse after all that time
Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Mallard666 View Post
Wow goat didn't know you had done this before, you did 5 years sober then went back am gutted to here that, makes things feel so much harder, I could relapse after all that time
Please understand I was a dry drunk. I did that on sheer willpower. Over time I didn't go to as many meetings, and started to think I had it licked.

Anyone can relapse at any time, that's why we have to stay vigilant.

I really didn't mean to discourage you! This is possible. Use me as an example of what *not* to do. Don't forget, after 5 years sober, that you're an alcoholic.

If nothing else, my story is testament to the fact that this gets easier. At 5 years sober it was so easy I didn't even think about it... and that's when it got me. You can't forget
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

And am not having a go please don't take it like that, just would hate to think I would still be struggling all that time
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Day 17 here. Been feeling up and down the last few days, but mostly down. No real reason for it, as I'm not dealing with nearly as many cravings as the last time I quit, work is going well, etc, etc. Just in a funk for no apparent reason. Ah, well, at least there's no vodka in the freezer and there isn't going to be. Maybe I need a workout tonight or something.

Hope the day is going smoothly for the rest of y'all.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

That's the thing... I wasn't struggling. I was perfectly happy being a non-drinker.

And that was perfectly fine, as long as life was easy.

But then one day my ex wife kidnapped my children, and I was not prepared to deal with that level of stress. The next day I hit the booze like I'd never left it and woke up in jail. In hindsight it was coming. If it wasn't that it would have been something else.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Was it a case you thought you could drink in moderation again that made you slip .
If so then yes I will use your experience and others to that have told me I would only be kidding myself to think I can drink again, it does get easer though goat doesn't it